Houston Methodist Employee Reviews

Boring and slow on the dialysis floor
Patient Care Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2017
very typical day that is like a dreading routine. As a volunteer, there was not much to learn since the nurses weren't open to teaching, but perhaps because I'm just a patient care volunteer and haven't started taking any professional courses yet. Basically, they had me do ancillary work. The hardest part was staying alert and not half-dozing - since it was the most boring experience. The most enjoyable part was interacting with clients, sharing a laugh, and seeing them satisfied with the help we provide. The co-workers worked in harmony except I often feel left out since they are "adult" business and I was like 19, but probably looked like a 15 year old and unable to understand them since more than half of the staff had an accent.
Pros
free lunch, getting to see the hospital first hand
Cons
Nothing exciting if you're expecting something like on TV
Fast paced and a fantastic learning experience
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2017
IUHealth is a fantastic medical group that keeps the patients at priority #1. Management at Methodist is organized and supportive.

What I liked most about Methodist is that the staff synergizes with the management to create a positive and team-oriented work environment.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of staffing- though with a little team-work the workload is manageable.
Large Hospital
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2017
Good learning experiences, good place for career advancement, very big and up to date technology, very understanding director, friendly environment.
Great Dr.s, nice offices,
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day would be to schedule appointments, verified insurance benefits, pre-cert surgeries, schedule surgeries with the hospital. Released Medical Records. Request Medical Records, Schedule MRI and CT, got authorizations for the images. Filed charts and paperwork in the charts, pulled charts for clinic. Complete Physical Therapy forms. My Manager like the fact that when I was a part=timer she did not have to train me on anything. I knew what to do from my previous job. I figured out the program Athena on my own and went to classes. This office was ran by 2 people only. There was no hard part of this job, I loved it.
Pros
benefits, holidays, bonuses, get togethers after hours and during lunch.
Cons
1 office manager for the entire department, restructuring of the office. Manager of the office had her favorites.
Excellent experience
Patients Companionship Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Excellent experience for working at the hospital. Employers and co-workers were very kind and helpful to support me to meet my volunteer tasks.
very productive, customer service was the best
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2017
1. Introduces self to patient upon arrival to nursing unit and explains where they are being transported. Communicates positively and effectively with patients and guests, as well as internal customers. Promotes a positive image of the department and Hospital through verbal and non-verbal communication with all persons and compliance with personal appearance guidelines. Uses 10 codes appropriately to limit radio conversations and wears earpiece with radio to ensure HIPPA compliance. Contributes to exceeding patient satisfaction rating goals.

2. Documents assignments neatly and completely on the Patient Transportation Trip Log and turns them in at the end of each shift.

3. Reports to nursing unit/department to notify staff of patient transport.

a. Request patient chart.

b. Reviews patient passport for completeness and asks questions as needed to clarify handoff information.

c. Checks patient ID bands with a 2 step procedure, checking patient`s first and last name and medical record number prior to transport.

d. Provides wheelchair, stretcher, bed, transcart, and luggage cart assistance as requested and assists nursing personnel in transferring patients between bed and transport equipment when needed.

e. Properly connects and disconnects portable oxygen and sets regulators.

f. Performs tasks as required to prepare the patient for transport such as moving IV bags, placing Foley catheters, IMED pumps, Drug Infusion pumps, etc.

g. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse

h. Reports any potential harm or conflicting
  more... information to the Manager for input in Patient Safety Net.

4. Maintains current certification to perform CPR.

5. Transports adult and fetal demised patients to morgue.

6. Transporter provides direct care to all hospital patients when a nurse is not present during transport and indirect care when a nurse is present during transit.

7. Must be able to make appropriate customer service decisions with problem solving, setting trip delays, canceling and recalling assignments.

8. Must practice universal precautions at all times when assisting patients.

9. Disinfects equipment before and after each use, allowing sufficient time for the disinfectant to dry thoroughly before placement of linen.

10. Transports inpatients and outpatients within department productivity standards to and from patient rooms, diagnostic and therapeutic areas, lobbies, clinics and physician offices. Must complete at least minimum percentage of transports per shift and within departmental standards. Transporter contributes to high patient and internal customer satisfaction ratings by providing timely transports.

11. Transporter delivers patient room furnishings such as bed extensions, sleep chairs and transport of empty beds as requested, as a backup duty when Expeditor is not available.

12. Maintains adequate supply of transport equipment in lobbies and equipment rooms. Clears equipment left on floors and in hallways and unauthorized areas by moving them to designated equipment storage areas or reporting the equipment to the dispatcher.

13. Tags equipment needing extensive repairs, takes damaged equipment out of service and delivers to bed shop for repair.

14. Properly disposes of soiled linen on nursing unit and removes other items left on equipment such as urinals, bedpans, emesis basins, etc. Removes pumps and monitors no longer needed for the patient care from the transport equipment and places it in the soiled utility room.

15. Operates all transport equipment in a safe manner. Transports and stores oxygen tanks in approved holders. Ensures that oxygen cylinders are appropriately tagged to reflect the current airflow status.

16. Properly handles patient charts, keeping them covered or out of sight from visitors and employees, and other protected health information to assure compliance with HIPPA requirements.

17. Properly enters patient information in automated systems as required, such as entries in the Cardiology Patient Tracking system, MedHost in the Emergency Department, and HRS for paging the Housekeeping staff and to complete patient discharges. Properly signs in patient at testing areas where applicable.

18. Reports incidents involving patients or visitors immediately to management for reporting through the Patient Safety Net.

19. Participates as a team player with Nursing Staff and coworkers when necessary for moving the patient to test and procedures.

20. Responsible for contacting Call Center dispatch or the code blue team for respiratory and cardiac emergencies during patient transport.

21. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement.

22. Demonstrates Service PRIDE Standards.

23. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Performs duties in a safe manner, using appropriate equipment, methods, and assistance to reduce injuries, including use of transfer boards, Hover Mat, Hover Jack, etc. Reports accidents according to policies and procedures, and corrects minor safety hazards. Remains in compliance with hand hygiene policies regarding prohibition of artificial nails, length of nails, and hand washing guidelines. Responds to Code Blue, Dr. Pink, and other emergency situations as assigned. Ensures compliance with Hospital and System policies related to patient safety
Great!
Clinic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2017
This is a great company to work for and all the hospital staff are very friendly and helpful. I love to help care for our patients.
Icare values
Conference Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2017
The environment is friendly and patients come first. Great hospital and got to know a lot of nice people. Really wish I still worked there.
Productive work place
Sr. Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2017
I learned how to handle the project from zero to completion,writing technical document,hosting the project,implementing SDLC , communication with end client.
supportive co-woker and great learning environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 5, 2017
Houston Methodist is a great company to work for, the leadership is amazing, great team work, and typically 4:1 nursing ratio. When there are problems, everyone work together to find a way to resolve them.
Good but intense place to work
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2017
Highly motivating organization with great staff. Work load and pace are very intense but management is supportive and helpful.
Very good place to work that as a whole takes care of its employees
Unit Secretary/ Bone and Joint Surgery Center (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
Working in three sections of the department, a typical day was very busy.
I learned time management and priority skills.
As for management all I can say is that our department lost 12-13 of the best employees (including charge nurses and managers) in the year I was there due to the one or two bad apples that spoiled the bunch, for some reason the bad apples weren't tossed out but almost the whole support system of the department, many transferred departments or like me, found jobs elsewhere.
This was just one department, but the hospital as a whole.....is great.
Was extremely difficult due to lack of training by preceptor who for some reason did not want to share the details of the job.
Most enjoyable part of job...helping families of those in surgery and acting as a support system for them.
Pros
Rewarded with movie tickets, free lunches, on busier than usual days.
Cons
Parking far away from offices
Productive place to work
Medical Assitant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2016
Methodist is a great place to work. I have been here for 15 years and counting. I love what I do and my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of my job is my patients
Productive and fun workplace
Admin Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 28, 2016
Workdays are productive and efficient. Learning about the ICARE Values gives you a better understanding of their culture and value. Great company to be a part of.
Pros
There is room for advancement.
Great Place to Work
Application Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2016
Houston Methodist is one of the finest medical hospitals with cutting edge medical care and technology. The employee culture is extremely good with a tag of excellence and pride. The bar of expectation is set high. Great place to work.
nice place
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 22, 2016
Atypical day at work for me was scanning and filing paper work. Management was great and I had the best co-workers ever. My job was easy and i love the work environment .
Productive place
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXDecember 22, 2016
Houston Methodist is a great place to work for, staff is very helpful and our boss is great too. If you're going to school they encourage you to go and are willing to work with your schedule. I have a second family here at work
Pros
Half price fit bits
Cons
Working on holidays
n/a
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 20, 2016
Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
Advertisements, "spam" content, or references to other companies, offers, or websites
Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses, or other forms of contact information
Critical or spiteful comments on other reviews posted on the page or their authors
Allegations of illegal activity - this is not a forum for reporting crimes
Methodist
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Nassau Bay, TXDecember 19, 2016
i started about an year an a half ago. i would say my experience has been a pleasant one. i love working here because i have the best co-works around and i would recommend anyone
Houston Methodist
Building Services (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2016
Performs supply logistic duties
Performs Durable Medical Equipment (DME) decontamination process
Delivers DME and medical supplies to the Nursing Units within established guidelines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Methodist. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2