Houston Methodist Employee Reviews

Some good, some bad.
PATIENT ACCESS REP II (Current Employee) –  Nassau Bay, TXMarch 8, 2016
Typical day at work is very stressful with high demands to complete enough work for 2 people. I learn that if you just nod at the micro management, then managers might give you some slack. Co workers all feel the same and can barely keep up with the demands to do more. Communication is either over bearing or under used. The most enjoyable part of my job is the patients and making them feel at ease. Even though I may be overwhelmed, I love that the patients can't tell.
Pros
Good benefits and bonus.
Cons
Micromanagement and unsupported back up with struggles.
Money-hungry. No loyalty to employees
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
Only thing that gets worshipped at HMH is money. They will always choose money; the employee last if at all.

If you are within about 5 years away from 20 years of service, you may be let go. They'll hire someone younger (for less pay & less use of insurance). Multiply that times even 100 employees & that's a lot of money.

Human Resources department is horrible. Try to reach them for anything is a battle. They will not reply to emails or messages. Voice mails are full. If you actually manage to reach them, you'll find they talk a good deal, but do nothing. Lots of current platitudes (I'll reach out to....). How about actions? Such as I will call? And then actually do that.

You've been warned. It is all about money there.
Pros
Many good employees.
Cons
Expensive insurance. The longer you're there, the lower your raises no matter what your evaluations are. Money first.
most of the time short staffed so worked extra all the time, compensation is fair, not much job security,
FNS Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 18, 2016
Short staffed
Fair compensation
Not much job security
Department management not fair but bias. They do favoritism all the time. You raise voice and you are red flagged.
Productive, high paced enviroment
Surgical Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2016
Schedule all surgical and diagnostic procedures for the doctors.
Verified benefits and obtained authorization is needed.
Management was supportive and helped if the occasion accrued.
The most rewarding part of my job was seeing the results of patients
surgical procedures.
Pros
Free lunches from medical/ surgical reps
Terrible management
PRN (Former Employee) –  Sugarland, TXFebruary 17, 2016
This place is only good for temporary means. Micromanaging by upper management and no accountability. Poor culture and if you are PRN, too many unnecessary rules. Very high turnover---beware!!!
Pros
Lots of work available, nice coworkers
Cons
Poor management, terrible culture, unnecessary expectations, high turnover
Accountability for all
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2016
Good benefits but a tremendous lack of accountability for physicians. Physicians are allowed to be exempt from ICARE values. They lack respect for others, patients, and accountability. They do not get addressed for negative cultures they create in the offices and instead of realizing that they are Methodist employees just as the rest of us are, they are allowed to make decisions and are treated as owners in private practice. Methodist was "dismayed" at not being on the top 100 employers list, this culture of turning a blind eye to bad physician behavior is one example of the hypocrisy. Until we treat ALL employees equally-- regardless of the title behind their names, or the acronym MD behind it-- we will continue to have issues as an organization, and will be unable to live up to our motto- leading medicine.
Pros
Beenefits
Cons
Physician accountability
ok place to start your career, not a good place to invest your future
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 3, 2016
This place is unprofessional and very unorganized. Management is horrible and there is a lot of favoritism! The surgery techs have no respect for the instruments, they do not count them. a lot of instruments were missing and you will be blamed because they are not using the tracking system so everything tracks back to the sterile processing dept. At any other hospital if anything is missing they have to go as far as to digging in the trash to find the missing instrument as it might be in the patient!!! you are mostly doing central supply work not sterile processing. If you decide to start here good luck...no growth!
Pros
ok pay
Cons
no growth
OK place to work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
No appreciation
Changes made at snails pace
Reactive team

Great company overall
Some departments are unorganized
benefits
productive and helpful and fun environment
Registered Nurse (Clinical) (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Start the day with a huddle to bring everyone together. everyone is willing to help each and other. very light and fun work environment. plenty of food brought for staff as thanks. very good benefits. management is very nice and supportive in all situations.
not typical work days
Unit Secretary/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 14, 2016
There really is not a typical work day here everyday is different, sometimes its slow and sometimes its very busy. I learned how to do various things while working here and everyone is great to work with, very helpful and caring.
Pros
Large network of people
Cons
expensive health insurance, not regular raises
It was managed very well, everyone did their job, and got along
Sterile Processing Technician (Externship) (Former Employee) –  This was in San Antonio, Tx for externshipFebruary 4, 2016
My day started preparing and packaging surgical trays for sterilization. Work in the decontamination area in decontaminating
and disinfecting surgical instruments, also work in the sterilizing
area and distribution and storage area.
The management was great and most of the co-workers were very
responsible.
I learned the responsibilities of a Sterile Processing Technician
The most enjoyable part was just learning my job.
This was just my externship requirement for my school curriculum
and completion of the school.
Pros
The co-workers and managers were willing to help you
Cons
there really wern't any at that time
Great learning experience!
CHF Readmission Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Houston Methodist west , Katy txAugust 22, 2016
I would go in log in and start reviewing all heart failure patients, sorting out who are being discharged the same day or the next day. I would review other people notes and go off that and make my own as well when i would visit the charge nurse, i would make appointments visit that patient review with them and their family members. Note all my work on excel and call the doctor office for them verify insurance and if they dont have a cardiologist than i would refer to a care navigator and find one for them. Hardest part would be convincing the patient to not miss the appointment other than that the day goes smooth and no issues occur. I learned alot about patient behavior and the system the hospital use and overall hospital behavior and setting. It really helped me get a good start. Co-workers are friendly and dont give any hard time for no reason, we all work as a team and want the best for our patients. Their satisfaction means alot and giving them the best treatment and attention is our main goal
Pros
7$ lunch passes!
if they cared, they would actually listen!
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Methodist San AntonioJune 1, 2016
personally would never have a family or friend enter into the building/s that has a Methodist name to it. "some" of the physicians and staff are very good at what they do however you have the "leaders" that are not! The compliments fly the week of engagement survey and then the axe falls as soon as that is completed and the results never seem to remove the inept managers and directors. They "reach out" when the door is hitting you on the a**, on the way out. Many experienced personell have been let go, new personell to replace and they are "yes" people, no clue what they are doing or what they have done.......a real book can be written on that!
Pros
Intensivists MD's
Cons
Management, untrained personell, promotions for having a degree ... no idea of what they are doing
fast paced dailey aprx.15 discharges and 15 admits
RN - Observation Unit (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2016
telemetry most pt;s, observation less than 24 hrs, obtaining labs, and making sure all consults with all testing needed done asap. maintain iv's, antibiotics or drips as needed, most pt's from er some fro pacu needing additional observation prior to discharge. working for pt's knowledge and safety, teaching and keeping informed about why they are still op's and testing needed for definitive diagnosis could be made, teaching of what diagnosis may change upon discharge meds given and lifestyle changes if needed, I enjoyed caring for pt's needs and teaching pt's to improve there health. follow up care to be done and appointments. hardest part when unable to give the information they needed, I am always advocating for pt's and families.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
breaks shortened, pace of discharges to next admission.
Typical Day
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 21, 2016
• Keeps all buildings and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas neat and clean at all times.
• Shovels, plows, and maintains steps, walks, drives, and parking areas as needed. Participates in the maintenance of the facility to ensure it is clean at all times.
• Performs minor building repairs.
• Report needed major repairs.
• Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition.
• Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment on hand, and requisitions needed replacements.
• Knows and follows all safety rules and proper procedures associated with the responsibilities of the job.
Nice Hospital
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJanuary 21, 2016
The staff works very well together. The care provided at Methodist is patient centered. Its an average sized hospital. They have fairly good benefits which may vary per your union. I learned a lot working there. The nurses were really good about explaining procedures to patients as they were doing them. The staff is encouraged to educate the patients based on their conditions. I was a NA there and I worked in different places throughout the hospital. I believe the aides there work really hard in order to make the nurses jobs easier. Often times the aides didn't get much credit for patient outcomes there. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the patient recover and go home with a favorable opinion of the care that we gave.
Pros
Friendly Faces
Cons
Cliques
Better than it seems
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 30, 2016
Working here was a pleasure. The job culture is easy to follow. You come to work, do your job, and have a good day. It's a hospital so there is bound to be bad days. The management is generally understanding. And the part time vs full time benefits perfectly balanced out. Part timers are weekends and Full time is Monday through Friday. The benefits are pretty good and competitive and if you are consistent, there is room for upward or lateral advancement.
Pros
Great work atmosphere most times. Everyone acts like family members
Cons
Breaks could be longer. Some employees are Juvenile.
During my experience asan interpreter in Houston Methodist hospital, I used to go with my co workers to Zumba class twice a week after work
Liaison Medical interpreter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2016
A typical work day includes using my skills in English and foreign language (Arabic) in order to provide invaluable services to the patients and the medical staff and to build the bridge to assure they are receiving accurate diagnoses and treatment.
I learned how to control my emotions, same time how to show empathy to patients. My experience as an interpreter also includes using communication skills as being part of every step in the healthcare process such as consultation, scheduling for appointments and others. Working as an interpreter means being part of a big family of interpreters who work together in order to assure that we cover all the appointments, including those unscheduled, and being able to handle the delay in a professional way. The hardest part of the job is when we have incurable patient while the part I enjoy the most is when telling the patients that they completely recovered.
This is a productive workplace and well organized.
Patient Access Service (Current Employee) –  Houston Methodist Sugarland, Tx .January 25, 2016
Providing quality customer service in person or over the telephone is absolutely important to me at all times whether , a patient is asking for directions or if you see that someone is in need then it is my job to assist every way possible. Co-workers we are a team and I work as a teamplayer. Management is awesome understanding , helpful, patient. Hardest of my job is that I know I can't make everybody happy but I'll do my very best with the skills I have in front of me. Happing others in need patient or co-workers.
Pros
My company (Methodist Hospital) we do have discounted lunches, exercise gym and bonuses.
Cons
Short lunch, hard taking a break at times.
Fast pace and high ethical standards
Unit Secretary/Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
I am the face of the unit, which is why I take pride in my appearance and integrity. I enjoy working and communicating with people. I am constantly answering a call bell and multi-lines phone system, greeting guest, providing excellent customer service, accessing and requesting patient records, operating multiple computer software, typing, faxing, filing, and assisting a team of hospital staff with respect and compassion.
Pros
Inservices and special activities
Cons
uncompassionate and disrespectful co-workers

4.2