Houston Press

Houston Press Employee Reviews

A good place for quirky writers.
Copy Editing Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 11, 2013
Pros: alternative paper striving for cool vibe; contact with music scene.
Cons: not sure of the advancement potential in the alternative press environment.
I can't give any feedback on the compensation, since I worked there as an unpaid intern. But there were good talented people working there, though more than one were definite characters.
Work hard, play hard
Sales (Current Employee), HoustonFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: laid back, fun enviroment, lots of free tickets
Cons: a lot of driving around but that comes w/ sales
Great company to work for. Fun culture, atmosphere and everyone just enjoys working together. We work hard but we have fun too. Great perks like concert tickets and other events. If you're in sales every day is different. It's never boring or stale. Definitely a job where you get out what you put in.
Not a fun place if you are not into the arts(music,galleries, etc)
Director of Circulation (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 26, 2012
Cons: no room for advancement and very low pay
Bias enviroment where hard work and getting the job done is not appreciated. Would rather have a person who they can blame things on than make chages to help the company

February 1, 2013

It's definitely a job where you get back what you put in. Hard work = rewards. One person there won a trip to Mexico for two last year and Happy Hour is always a blast! Just need to be part of the team

great people, fun atmosphere, phenomenal product
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee), Houston TexasNovember 9, 2012
Pros: perks!! free concert and event tickits, bonus opportunities, great staff/co-workers, fun, young atmosphere
Cons: lots of driving and making phone calls.
I've been an employee of Houston Press for 8 years. I worked as an account executive at Houston Press from 2000-2006 then left to see how green the other grass was/was not (turns out it was not). I returned a few years ago (as an account executive) because no other publication/company/media/managers compared to Houston Press.

The management staff is the best in the city (I would argue any where though). I've never had managers/publishers who are as dedicated to making Houston Press a great, fun place to work and a great paper/website to read. The training is extensive and they give you the tools you need to be successful.

A typical day at work consists of make phone calls, going on appointments and working with my customers on their ads.

Working at the Houston Press has taught me loyalty, given me the confidence I needed, and most importantly, that hard work pays off and that you get out of it exactly what you put in.

The hardest part about the job is finding good leads and learning how to make our products work and make sense for our advertisers. That said, there are good lead sources and our products do actually work. Once you figure out those two minor details, there is nothing stopping you from being successful. Houston Press truly is the best advertising medium in Houston and the best place to work.. Hands down.

I love my co-workers. Some of my best friends and closest relationships started out as 'just my co-worker'. Everyone in the office is fun, outgoing and willing to help each other. Don't get me wrong..we work hard, but we play hard too! We challenge each other to be the best we can be. We are some of the hardest working people in the city and we respect each other for it. Even after spending all day together in the office, we still enjoy hanging out with each other after hours. I get the most enjoyment out of my job by helping businesses grow and coming up with advertising concepts and actually seeing it work.
Great office culture
Marketing Director (Current Employee), Houston, TexasNovember 9, 2012
Pros: great benefits. fun/young co-workers. free entertainment tickets.
The office culture is one of the best things about working for the Houston Press. All the employees are young and fun. The environment is relaxed but still productive. There are frequent group Happy Hours and lunches. Plus employees often get free tickets to concerts, festivals, theater shows, and of course all the Houston Press hosted events: Artopia, Menu of Menus, Music Showcase, etc.
Newspaper (free press)
Classifed Account Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 1, 2012
Pros: free everything...tickets to concerts, openings of restaurants, etc.
Cons: not much of anything!!
Great, great job! Great place to work! Call Center classified ads..selling line - full page advertising! Loved the management, fun environment! The hardest part is that you have a quota, the most enjoyable are the people!
Part Timer
Promotions Team Leader (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 2, 2012
I was a part time employee on the promotions team, and very quickly was promoted to team leader. Lots of freedom both in the office and on location. Very late hours.
Fun place to work!
Production Assistant / Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee), HoustonFebruary 14, 2012
Pros: fun place to work, team / family atmosphere
Cons: compensation
Houston Press gave me my first job in graphic design. I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the production department. It felt like a family and although we had long 14 hour days on Tuesdays, the company provided lunch and I enjoyed the camaraderie.

About Houston Press

When Texans in this part of the state want to find out what there is to do--or what other people did-- they turn to the Houston – Read more

Houston Press Photos