Houston Press Employee Reviews

Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2015
This job is great for those in or freshly out of college. It is a great opportunity to go new places and experiences new things. Great management and great job.
Sales Environment
Classified Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2013
Cold Calling Potential Advertisers to place ads in various papers.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Clickish
A good place for quirky writers.
Copy Editing Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2013
I can't give any feedback on the compensation, since I worked there as an unpaid intern. But there were good talented people working there, though more than one were definite characters.

Pros
alternative paper striving for cool vibe; contact with music scene.
Cons
not sure of the advancement potential in the alternative press environment.
Work hard, play hard
Sales (Current Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 13, 2013
Great company to work for. Fun culture, atmosphere and everyone just enjoys working together. We work hard but we have fun too. Great perks like concert tickets and other events. If you're in sales every day is different. It's never boring or stale. Definitely a job where you get out what you put in.
Pros
laid back, fun enviroment, lots of free tickets
Cons
a lot of driving around but that comes w/ sales
Not a fun place if you are not into the arts(music,galleries, etc)
Director of Circulation (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2012
Bias enviroment where hard work and getting the job done is not appreciated. Would rather have a person who they can blame things on than make chages to help the company
Cons
no room for advancement and very low pay
great people, fun atmosphere, phenomenal product
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasNovember 9, 2012
I've been an employee of Houston Press for 8 years. I worked as an account executive at Houston Press from 2000-2006 then left to see how green the other grass was/was not (turns out it was not). I returned a few years ago (as an account executive) because no other publication/company/media/managers compared to Houston Press.

The management staff is the best in the city (I would argue any where though). I've never had managers/publishers who are as dedicated to making Houston Press a great, fun place to work and a great paper/website to read. The training is extensive and they give you the tools you need to be successful.

A typical day at work consists of make phone calls, going on appointments and working with my customers on their ads.

Working at the Houston Press has taught me loyalty, given me the confidence I needed, and most importantly, that hard work pays off and that you get out of it exactly what you put in.

The hardest part about the job is finding good leads and learning how to make our products work and make sense for our advertisers. That said, there are good lead sources and our products do actually work. Once you figure out those two minor details, there is nothing stopping you from being successful. Houston Press truly is the best advertising medium in Houston and the best place to work.. Hands down.

I love my co-workers. Some of my best friends and closest relationships started out as 'just my co-worker'. Everyone in the office is fun, outgoing and willing to help each other. Don't get me wrong..we work hard, but we play hard too! We challenge each other
  more... to be the best we can be. We are some of the hardest working people in the city and we respect each other for it. Even after spending all day together in the office, we still enjoy hanging out with each other after hours. I get the most enjoyment out of my job by helping businesses grow and coming up with advertising concepts and actually seeing it work.  less
Pros
perks!! free concert and event tickits, bonus opportunities, great staff/co-workers, fun, young atmosphere
Cons
lots of driving and making phone calls.
Great office culture
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 9, 2012
The office culture is one of the best things about working for the Houston Press. All the employees are young and fun. The environment is relaxed but still productive. There are frequent group Happy Hours and lunches. Plus employees often get free tickets to concerts, festivals, theater shows, and of course all the Houston Press hosted events: Artopia, Menu of Menus, Music Showcase, etc.
Pros
great benefits. fun/young co-workers. free entertainment tickets.
Newspaper (free press)
Classifed Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2012
Great, great job! Great place to work! Call Center classified ads..selling line - full page advertising! Loved the management, fun environment! The hardest part is that you have a quota, the most enjoyable are the people!
Pros
free everything...tickets to concerts, openings of restaurants, etc.
Cons
not much of anything!!
Part Timer
Promotions Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2012
I was a part time employee on the promotions team, and very quickly was promoted to team leader. Lots of freedom both in the office and on location. Very late hours.
Fun place to work!
Production Assistant / Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 14, 2012
Houston Press gave me my first job in graphic design. I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the production department. It felt like a family and although we had long 14 hour days on Tuesdays, the company provided lunch and I enjoyed the camaraderie.
Pros
fun place to work, team / family atmosphere
Cons
compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Press. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2