Houston SPCA Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work, high turnover rate!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2016
I thought this would be a great place to work considering the cause to help animals. WRONG! It is not, I have never, ever worked for such a crazy place with people who are unfriendly, and a CEO who is rude. This is not a team playing environment, you are pretty much on your own, no training. It;s all a big act in front of donors, volunteers and board members. I hated it here and do not recommend this awful working environment. And yes, they kill animals whether they are too young, skin disease, etc and all pitbulls...Heartbreaking...Stressful, unwelcoming environment.
Really good organization
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 11, 2016
I like the work we do -helping lots of animals. It's a job where I make a difference. The people are dedicated to helping animals - both employees and volunteers.
Pros
Love helping animals
There is an extremely high turnover rate for a reason
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
I worked here for a year and the management was awful They are bullies and pick on people they don't like regardless of the persons work ethic. They kill a lot of animals everyday that they deem "unadoptable", like young animals, lactating moms, and lots of others that could be saved. Don't work here
A very nice company to work for.
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2013
The Houston SPCA is a wonderful establishment with a great goal of helping animals find homes.
A typical workday included approving numerous persons for animal adoptions.
I learned the ins and outs of switchboard operating.
Co-workers were all very nice and animal lovers.
The hardest part of the job, was seeing some of the animals that couldn't be helped or adopted come in.
Pros
Very friendly invironment.
Cons
Becoming close to some of the animals.
Worst place I ever worked for...
Donor Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2015
I thought SPCA = animal lovers = great people.... WRONG!!! From micro managing to disrespect to back stabbing, I saw and experienced it all! Lots of work, no appreciation. Old equipment. Horrible experience.
Pros
Cons
Micro managing, gossip, back stabbing...
Fun and intresting
Client Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2013
I would always get to work 15 minutes early to prepare my work station. I would be ready to get started. My manager was disliked by all my coworkers. There was no challenge I could not succeed in. The most enjoyable part was being able to work for a team that all had goals in working for the Houston SPCA.
Pros
monthly meetings with free cake.
Cons
days off
Getting animals adopted
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2012
The HSPCA is a great place to volunteer because you get to use your communication skills up. The best thing about volunteering there is being able to get a kitten or cat adopted out.
Non profit animal shelter
Animal Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2014
At the HSPCA we took in animals that needed care. I maintained their cages and the atmosphear was great for the most part.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston SPCA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6