Houston Zoo Employee Reviews

Safari Camp
Volunteer (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2015
I had an amazing time volunteering there. I got to help the teachers with the kids. The kids loved older kids because they look up to them and enjoy having you there.
Greatest place to be
Ranger (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: it's a new zoo everyday, great benefits; vacation
Cons: healthcare, outside all day= summer, winter, rain, snow
I love my job. I love learning about the animals and teaching guests about the animals. Moving up is VERY competitive and hard. Great company and great people to work with. and hey! I work at the ZOO!
What lacks in management is made up in culture of the job.
Cashier/Host (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 24, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free viewing of animals
Cons: management and heat
Management is horrible and unprofessional but the guests that you interact with on a daily basis make it worth while. The thought of working at the "Zoo" is also worth while. Hardest part was dealing with unruly customers. How you can be angry at a ZOO is beyond me!
It's an OK job for a high or college student
Gift shop Cashier, Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 9, 2014
Pros: discounted items and unlimited animal viewing
Cons: some of the management and the heat
Typical day in Houston is hot, so working outside at the zoo was not pleasant at all.
MY FAVORITE JOB OF ALL TIME
Volunteer (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 8, 2014
Pros: working with kids and animals my favorite
Cons: nothing
Working with the animals and the children was amazing had the time of my life in the summer volunteer program was very sad when it ended
Productive and educational experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
Pros: the experience and education gained.
Cons: just the drive.
I worked with the kids from the summer camp, I walked around the zoo with bio-fact carts. I talked to the guest about facts for different animals.
Animals,agriculture,
helper (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 4, 2013
I was young and in an enviroment were I could have fun and learn at the same time.
Very productive and nice place to work
Cashier/Stroller Rental (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 3, 2013
Pros: positive people to be around
I enjoyed my experience working in the Zoo establishment. It is a good place to work for.
N/A
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 28, 2013
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WAS COOL CALM AND COLLECTED WHEN ITS NOT BUSY ,I LEARNED THAT RESPECT AND GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GET YOU A LONG WAY , MANAGEMENT WAS COOL AND VERY UNDERSTANDING , EVERYONE WAS WILLING TO HELP AND GET THE JOB DONE AS A TEAM ,THE HARDEST PART IS WHEN ITS GETS BUSY AND YOU ARE STANDING ALL DAY , THE MOST ENJOYABLE IS SEEING SMILES ON KIDS FACES WHEN THEY KNOW THERE ABOUT TO ENTER THE ZOO AND JUST WORKING AT THE ZOO IS ENJOYABLE
fun enviroment
CASHIER (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 23, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 10 hour shift with only a 30 minute lunch break.
it was great working at the zoo. always met new people everyday and the kids were great!
A great place to start a career
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: a shallow glass ceiling
Inspect the Zoo for safety concrens that may have developed overnight, open and inspect all zoo buildings, prep the zoo for zoo guests. Make sure all zoo gates are locked and secure before the gates come up. Manage the day to day functions of the Houston Zoo Rangers department. Ensure adaquate coverage throught the zoo to offer guests a worldclass experience. Manage the department's $500,000+ annual budget. Hire and train Zoo Rangers, inspect the zoo throughout the day, ensure excellent guest service. Management is constantly looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Easily the best part of this position is having an everyday impact on the zoo, and the 2 annual + zoo guests.
PROFESSIONAL ,FUN ,EXCITING PLACE
Texas Temp Head Hunters (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 17, 2012
Pros: 35%discounts on lunch/25 cent drink refills
EVERY DAY AT THE HOUSTON ZOO IS AN ADVENTURE. I LOVE WORKING HERE,BUT I LIVE QUITE A WAYS FROM WORK. WICH IS PRETTY INCONVENIANT WITH ALL THE TRAFFIC IN HOUSTON TX.THERES ALWAYS A NEW CHALLENGE.LOTS OF MEETINGS BUT EVRYONE ON STAFF PUTS IN AN ALL OUT EFFORT TO MAKE THE GUEST EXPERIENCE ONE OF THERE VERY BEST.
always interacting with customers
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 15, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
I learned to communicate with all kinds of people. I learned to handle all kinds of situations. That managing a clean stand is important for appearance. The hardest thing to do is standing up for all day and having to endure all kinds of weather.I enjoyed interacting with people.