Houston Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Houston Zoo
Grounds keeper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
Had a great experience with thew most outstanding customer service environment surrounded by some of the best mentors and work team players. The interaction with hands on hands skill required job has had a positive Impact on me as a person and a worker.
Pros
Work oriented Environment
Cons
Lunch
it was a well experienced job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
a typical day at work, as for working at the Houston was well spent I've learned to work around animals and different type of cultured families all at the same time, while being a cashier.
A great place to start a career
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2013
Inspect the Zoo for safety concrens that may have developed overnight, open and inspect all zoo buildings, prep the zoo for zoo guests. Make sure all zoo gates are locked and secure before the gates come up. Manage the day to day functions of the Houston Zoo Rangers department. Ensure adaquate coverage throught the zoo to offer guests a worldclass experience. Manage the department's $500,000+ annual budget. Hire and train Zoo Rangers, inspect the zoo throughout the day, ensure excellent guest service. Management is constantly looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Easily the best part of this position is having an everyday impact on the zoo, and the 2 annual + zoo guests.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
a shallow glass ceiling
Greatest place to be
Ranger (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2015
I love my job. I love learning about the animals and teaching guests about the animals. Moving up is VERY competitive and hard. Great company and great people to work with. and hey! I work at the ZOO!
Pros
it's a new zoo everyday, great benefits; vacation
Cons
healthcare, outside all day= summer, winter, rain, snow
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Being a volunteer at the Houston Zoo is very exciting. Being able to interact with some of the animals was fun. I really enjoyed helping out with the zoo activities.
Fun and exciting workplace.
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2015
Typical day for me was coming in setting up our daily goals, then simply assisting our guests. Very fun yet faced paced place to work.
N/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2013
A typical day at work was cool calm and collected when its not busy ,I learned that respect and good customer service and get you a long way , management was cool and very understanding , everyone was willing to help and get the job done as a team ,the hardest part is when its gets busy and you are standing all day , the most enjoyable is seeing smiles on kids faces when they know there about to enter the zoo and just working at the zoo is enjoyable
What lacks in management is made up in culture of the job.
Cashier/Host (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2014
Management is horrible and unprofessional but the guests that you interact with on a daily basis make it worth while. The thought of working at the "Zoo" is also worth while. Hardest part was dealing with unruly customers. How you can be angry at a ZOO is beyond me!
Pros
free lunches, free viewing of animals
Cons
management and heat
Safari Camp
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2015
I had an amazing time volunteering there. I got to help the teachers with the kids. The kids loved older kids because they look up to them and enjoy having you there.
It's an OK job for a high or college student
Gift shop Cashier, Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2014
Typical day in Houston is hot, so working outside at the zoo was not pleasant at all.
Pros
discounted items and unlimited animal viewing
Cons
some of the management and the heat
Professional ,fun ,exciting place
Texas Temp Head Hunters (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2012
Every day at the houston zoo is an adventure. I love working here,but I live quite a ways from work. Wich is pretty inconveniant with all the traffic in houston tx.Theres always a new challenge.Lots of meetings but evryone on staff puts in an all out effort to make the guest experience one of there very best.
Pros
35%discounts on lunch/25 cent drink refills
always interacting with customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2012
I learned to communicate with all kinds of people. I learned to handle all kinds of situations. That managing a clean stand is important for appearance. The hardest thing to do is standing up for all day and having to endure all kinds of weather.I enjoyed interacting with people.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Productive and educational experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
I worked with the kids from the summer camp, I walked around the zoo with bio-fact carts. I talked to the guest about facts for different animals.
Pros
the experience and education gained.
Cons
just the drive.
My favorite job of all time
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 8, 2014
Working with the animals and the children was amazing had the time of my life in the summer volunteer program was very sad when it ended
Pros
working with kids and animals my favorite
Cons
nothing
Very productive and nice place to work
Cashier/Stroller Rental (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2013
I enjoyed my experience working in the Zoo establishment. It is a good place to work for.
Pros
positive people to be around
fun enviroment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2013
it was great working at the zoo. always met new people everyday and the kids were great!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
10 hour shift with only a 30 minute lunch break.
Animals,agriculture,
helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2013
I was young and in an enviroment were I could have fun and learn at the same time.

4.3