Houzz Employee Reviews

fun place to work!
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 29, 2017
Customer Service is not the most exciting job, but Houzz makes it fun and balances well with personal life. The people are wonderful, and the kitchen is stocked.
OK for people just starting in sales
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 26, 2017
A typical day starts at 6:30 a.m. - just keep in mind, there is zero flexibility in scheduling despite what you may be told in interviews. Also, no overtime.

I learned that the Houzz model isn't really working anymore. They have built a company based off of the sales team selling to clients who are interested in Houzz and know it because they created a profile. Unfortunately, they are pretty much out of those clients and every professional on Houzz is called (3-5 times a week) every 3-4 months until the sales person retires the "lead". There are not enough professionals creating new profiles on Houzz to sustain the huge growth in salespeople. Mgmt will tell you they have solved this by hiring a team to farm pros and create profiles for them but those do not produce quality leads. They are usually pros who agreed to let the farmer create the profile to get them off the phone and they are told it is a free profile.

There are some better leads that can be steered to you if your manager likes you or if they feel like it. Most of the management team is not experienced and it shows. They are big believers in promoting from within so you may have a manager with 3 years experience who started in the low levels job at Houzz 18 months ago. There are a couple that are great but mostly not.

The hardest part of the job is that it totally depends on what your manager gives you. It was a lot easier for me to sell to an interior designer in Los Angeles while my co-worker was stuck calling woodworkers in Vermont. Also, we do have a significant potion of straight up cold calling as
  more... we attempt to build the service categories (plumbers, electricians, etc.) because they did not create the profile you see on Houzz.

It's easy work, just make a bunch of calls to set appointments. Do a sales presentation via screen share and feel them out, set up a third call where you present pricing once you've determined if they are serious buyers or not.

We have a lot of good people in the sales team but a lot of the best ones have left in the last few months. There is covered parking.
Pros
Free lunches, snacks, etc. Covered parking
Cons
Limited potential, job is not what is represented in interviews.
Fun workplace
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 25, 2017
Working at House was actually really fun. I was able to see a start up grow and change from the ground up. I found management to be supportive and willing to listen to ideas. The most enjoyable part of the job was socializing with friends.
Pros
Free food, culture
Cons
No room for growth.
Had a great time there
Blogger Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 10, 2017
As a part-time editor, it was one of the best jobs I have ever had. The work environment was so comfortable and there was such camaraderie at the office as well.
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays
Great place to work!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 23, 2017
There are so many pros to working at Houzz. First is the people! I have the best coworkers in the world. Sales roles can be competitive, but at Houzz, all your coworkers are supportive and want each other to succeed. The growth opportunity at Houzz is great as well. I started in an entry level sales role and then was promoted to an associate sales role after only a few months. After performing in that role I was able to move into the AMPD role- and that's been only in a matter of a year and a half! I've seen people who have struggled in sales be moved into different departments where their skills are better utilized (what company does that?!). Some of my peers who were top sales performers are now leading teams. I love that Houzz promotes from within. Benefits are great. Medical, dental, vision are all covered 100%. Management is fantastic. They actually CARE about you and your growth within the company. They truly listen to feedback and have your best interests at heart. It honestly doesn't get any better than this.
Good culture, bad sales channel
Account Manager - Professional Development (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 7, 2016
Houzz is a nice place to work if you just graduated college, and are looking for an easy, low paying job. Lots of young people, which is nice.
Great place!
Sales and Client Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 7, 2016
Loved the company and and it was great place to work! Everyone is very friendly and the company events are so fun. Good location and very young and hip environment.
Pros
free lunch, great offices
Great Place to work
Marketing Operation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 22, 2015
Great Challenging place to work.
Extremely smart people.
Fast-paced, creative and high potential company.
Lots of opportunities.
flexible job but limited individual growth
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 21, 2015
Relaxed work atmosphere with flexible work hours which is great for students or someone looking for a part time job. Work can at times be tedious requiring extended work hours to meet goals without compensation. Management was receptive to employee concerns, but in terms of actual change it was minimal. The company in itself has a bright future ahead, but this position has limited opportunity to grow as an individual.
Fun workplace but little pay
Marketplace & Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 10, 2015
Growing company, still a start up so lots of gray areas within jobs. Sometimes interns are asked to do one off jobs due to the start up nature. Very good company morale however.
Pros
Free food, stocked kitchen
Cons
Little compensation
Contract Work
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 2, 2015
I am a contractor although the company culture is amazing. They thrive on creativity and listen to every ones suggestions. they provide meals and take care of their team members.
Exciting company with lots of potential for growth
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 13, 2015
Houzz is a fast-paced startup that has built it's culture on the amazing people they continue to hire. As they continue to grow they have maintained that small family feel while promoting the brand worldwide.
Start Up Company with a lot of Potential
Marketing and Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 10, 2013
Started working at Houzz right after I finished my undergrad and was really excited to work with a developing company and brand. However, it was very tele-marketing centered and felt like my 4 year degree wasn't getting used. In talking to management, there didn't seem to be potential to grow, even if you came in early, stayed late, and tried to take on more responsibility. Some people were amazing to work with, others not so much (a lot of people on power trips).
Pros
Free lunches on Friday, Free Family Style Dinners nightly, and a fully stocked kitchen.
Cons
Long hours, hence all the free meals!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houzz. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3