Howard Brown Health Center Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
terrible experience in applying for this job
DDS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
I applied for this position in Oct 2016 and was finally called for an in person interview on 7/3/17 at 4 pm with the CMO; however I show up at 3:35 pm and everybody is clueless. They call the CMO and she says she had no interview scheduled on her books with me. I even have a confirmation email of this interview that they scheduled with me. Keep in mind the fact that this same CMO had scheduled a phone interview with me in Dec 2016 and the CMO dropped the ball and never followed through even then. Then the incompetent HR employee confused my resume with another doctor who had the same last name as me. I had to bring it to her attention and point it out to her that there actually might be another doctor applying for the same position with my last name. She was absolutely incompetent and clueless. She then scheduled me for the in-person interview on 7/3/17 at 4 pm and sent me the confirmation email. I confirmed with her immediately the same day. I show up on 7/3/17 early and everybody is clueless. I call the incompetent HR lady who had scheduled my interview and she says," Hold on Doc, let me find out what is going on and I'll call you right back." She never did call me back and I attempted to reach her again several times as I was waiting for my alleged interview. Then one of the employees calls the CMO and that's when the CMO stated that there was no interview on her books. IS this some kind of a joke? The CMO then tells the employee to take me on a "tour" of the dental clinic. I was appalled at the sight of the clinic, it was non-functional, unaesthetic and in the dungeon of  more... the basement floor. The employee then apologized for the inconvenience of me presenting for the interview and no one showing up or even having the inkling of my scheduled interview. Nothing else was said to me and then I left. This clinic is obviously being operated by a bunch of unprofessional, circus show performers. EVERYONE I came into contact with is clueless or drops the ball. Can you imagine if a doctor is applying for a job here and being insulted and mistreated the way I was, I can only imagine how other potential applicants were treated. No matter how much the salary, I would NEVER EVER work for these jokers. BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A JOB AT HOWARD BROWN. I am a doctor and if I was treated very unprofessionally and humiliated, you can expect the same.  less
Pros
Cons
too may to state
laid back place
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2017
everyday is entertaining, got to meet alot of great people and coworkers, a Job that knows how to have a good time and laughs while working. good team leads
Pros
free lunches
Stressful work environment very short staff
HIV/STI Prevention (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2017
Work environment was very diverse and culturally sensitive to LGBT and all other culturally identified individuals. Most enjoyable providing indirect services to patients.
Pros
Providing a Public Services for the well being of all patients
Cons
poor management guidance and support
Amazing organization providing life saving services to the LGBTQ Communities of the Midwest.
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2017
Howard Brown Health is an amazing organization that is staffed by dedicated social service providers. The agency not only responds to the needs of the community that is serves, but to the needs of the staff and volunteers. The medical care provided at the health center is unmatched in compassion and expertise.
I loved working for Howard Brown Helth Center
Staff Accountant - Payroll (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2015
At Howard Brown Health Center, there was much more to the job than strictly running payroll. Working for Howard Brown was an opportunity to work with and for an organization that helps improve the lives of people in the community. I enjoyed my job as payroll accountant but I also enjoyed the people that I worked with, which I think is also an important part of being successful in any job you have.
Pros
they provided the staff with good benefits
Cons
the only con was the length of my commute, not anything about the organization itself.
Excellent behavioral health training program
Behavioral Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2015
HBHC's behavioral health training program is a well-oiled machine run by experienced, highly-skilled clinicians committed to student training.
LGBT Affirming Mental Health Care
Mental Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
As one of the only LGBTQ affirming mental health and medical sites in the country, my time at the Howard Brown Health Center was invaluable. The team of behavioral health staff are phenomenal individuals whom I learned an immense amount about mental health diagnosis, treatment, and utilizing and engaging in my personal therapeutic style.
Medical Clinic
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Great patients wonderful staff, venipuncture and work with Patients ll day. Got to learn how to set up procedures. work with the LGBT Community. over all it a great company to work for.
Relaxed atmosphere with no room for growth
The Brown Elephant Resale Store Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2014
Each day requires flexibility as a sales associate is required to move furniture, restock product on shelves, price and process incoming donations, and upsell products.
Cons
No room for advancement; Very little managerial oversight
Great Experience
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2014
Gained useful tools & knowledge for leadership role with future company.

Want to know more about Howard Brown Health Center?

Ask a question
Fast past learning experience.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2014
I learned so many things from Howard Brown Health Center I learned to work with others in a fast past. Also got to learn how to work with others. I learned different culture and some many different people. I also learned so many sicknesses and how we can help people try and get better.
Pros
Fast pace learning environment
Cons
Short staff
super reproductive in terms of delivery clients/patients services
Treatment Advocate/Linkage To Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2014
working directly with medical providers as a team in order to complete goals setting during the initial treatment plan and other additional needs
Organization in Transition
Interim President & Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Dynamic community health center in a period of significant transformation and cultural evolution. Significant organizational progress was made in the period of 18 months including the launch and implementation of a strategic plan that included four strategic growth pillars. Successfully achieved cultural evolution through employee and stakeholder engagement.
Pros
Dedicated Employees, Mission Focused, Client Centric, Strong competency in healthcare delivery
Cons
Rapidly Changing Environment, Community Distrust
Enjoyed the hours and friendly staff
Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2013
Reviewed and returned triage phone calls by priority. Assisted providers with referral follow up.

Learned how to prioritize triage calls. Learned to teach and treat patients regarding sexually transmitted infections.

Management met once a week and meetings were informative and friendly.

Coworkers were great to work with. We all got along and worked very hard to accomplish tasks at hand.

The hardest part of the work was trying to please every patient all the time. Also keeping patients from getting upset when they found out they had an STI.

Most enjoyable part of my job were the potlucks and pharmaceutical goodies.
Pros
Free lunches quite often. Friendly staff.
Cons
Late hours on Tuesdays.
Volunteer
Street Outreach Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2013
I learned how to deal with patient information and how to interact with patients in caring manner
Fun
Event and Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
This was an internship position, so it provided a meager stipend. I enjoyed this position because I learned a lot about organizing a conference on a large scale and working with a larger group as a collaborative effort.
Pros
Everything I learned
Cons
It ended
Fun place to work great employees.
driver/cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2012
A typical day at work included hard non stop work good chemistry between co-workers was always stressed management was strict but friendly. Hardest part of the job was leaving, and i would have to say the funnest part was being around the customers and co-workers.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
loss of health benefits
Where it all started for me
Peer Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILAugust 20, 2012
Once I was introduce to this company, my life just took on a whole new meaning. They are friendly, fun but still take their jobs seriously.. I got a chance to travel meet new people and be apart of new things. I learned so much about my body, health, and along with helping others I was helping my self make better decision then I was at first. I love this group they really care about all youth and those that support them. This is simply a great company to work for or to volunteer at.
Interestting place that is always in turnoil
Mgr (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2012
Like many not-fo-profit organization, this company is always in turmoil. Fun place to be. The draw back is that there are lots friction within the "sub culture" of various GLBT groups