Howard Brown Health Center

Howard Brown Health Center Employer Reviews

Organization in Transition
Interim President & Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: dedicated employees, mission focused, client centric, strong competency in healthcare delivery
Cons: rapidly changing environment, community distrust
Dynamic community health center in a period of significant transformation and cultural evolution. Significant organizational progress was made in the period of 18 months including the launch and implementation of a strategic plan that included four strategic growth pillars. Successfully achieved cultural evolution through employee and stakeholder engagement.
Enjoyed the hours and friendly staff
Triage Nurse (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches quite often. friendly staff.
Cons: late hours on tuesdays.
Reviewed and returned triage phone calls by priority. Assisted providers with referral follow up.

Learned how to prioritize triage calls. Learned to teach and treat patients regarding sexually transmitted infections.

Management met once a week and meetings were informative and friendly.

Coworkers were great to work with. We all got along and worked – more... very hard to accomplish tasks at hand.

The hardest part of the work was trying to please every patient all the time. Also keeping patients from getting upset when they found out they had an STI.

Most enjoyable part of my job were the potlucks and pharmaceutical goodies. – less
Volunteer
Street Outreach Volunteer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 13, 2013
I learned how to deal with patient information and how to interact with patients in caring manner
Fun
Event and Program Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
Pros: everything i learned
Cons: it ended
This was an internship position, so it provided a meager stipend. I enjoyed this position because I learned a lot about organizing a conference on a large scale and working with a larger group as a collaborative effort.
Fun place to work great employees.
driver/cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2012
Pros: discount on merchandise
Cons: loss of health benefits
A typical day at work included hard non stop work good chemistry between co-workers was always stressed management was strict but friendly. Hardest part of the job was leaving, and i would have to say the funnest part was being around the customers and co-workers.
Where it all started for me
Peer Health Educator (Former Employee), Chicago ILAugust 20, 2012
Once I was introduce to this company, my life just took on a whole new meaning. They are friendly, fun but still take their jobs seriously.. I got a chance to travel meet new people and be apart of new things. I learned so much about my body, health, and along with helping others I was helping my self make better decision then I was at first. I love – more... this group they really care about all youth and those that support them. This is simply a great company to work for or to volunteer at. – less
Interestting place that is always in turnoil
Mgr (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 11, 2012
Like many not-fo-profit organization, this company is always in turmoil. Fun place to be. The draw back is that there are lots friction within the "sub culture" of various GLBT groups