Howard Brown Health Center Employee Reviews

Excellent behavioral health training program
Behavioral Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2015
HBHC's behavioral health training program is a well-oiled machine run by experienced, highly-skilled clinicians committed to student training.
LGBT Affirming Mental Health Care
Mental Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
As one of the only LGBTQ affirming mental health and medical sites in the country, my time at the Howard Brown Health Center was invaluable. The team of behavioral health staff are phenomenal individuals whom I learned an immense amount about mental health diagnosis, treatment, and utilizing and engaging in my personal therapeutic style.
Medical Clinic
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Great patients wonderful staff, venipuncture and work with Patients ll day. Got to learn how to set up procedures. work with the LGBT Community. over all it a great company to work for.
Relaxed atmosphere with no room for growth
The Brown Elephant Resale Store Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2014
Each day requires flexibility as a sales associate is required to move furniture, restock product on shelves, price and process incoming donations, and upsell products.
Cons
No room for advancement; Very little managerial oversight
Great Experience
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2014
Gained useful tools & knowledge for leadership role with future company.
Fast past learning experience.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2014
I learned so many things from Howard Brown Health Center I learned to work with others in a fast past. Also got to learn how to work with others. I learned different culture and some many different people. I also learned so many sicknesses and how we can help people try and get better.
Pros
Fast pace learning environment
Cons
Short staff
super reproductive in terms of delivery clients/patients services
Treatment Advocate/Linkage To Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2014
working directly with medical providers as a team in order to complete goals setting during the initial treatment plan and other additional needs
Organization in Transition
Interim President & Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Dynamic community health center in a period of significant transformation and cultural evolution. Significant organizational progress was made in the period of 18 months including the launch and implementation of a strategic plan that included four strategic growth pillars. Successfully achieved cultural evolution through employee and stakeholder engagement.
Pros
Dedicated Employees, Mission Focused, Client Centric, Strong competency in healthcare delivery
Cons
Rapidly Changing Environment, Community Distrust
Enjoyed the hours and friendly staff
Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2013
Reviewed and returned triage phone calls by priority. Assisted providers with referral follow up.

Learned how to prioritize triage calls. Learned to teach and treat patients regarding sexually transmitted infections.

Management met once a week and meetings were informative and friendly.

Coworkers were great to work with. We all got along and worked very hard to accomplish tasks at hand.

The hardest part of the work was trying to please every patient all the time. Also keeping patients from getting upset when they found out they had an STI.

Most enjoyable part of my job were the potlucks and pharmaceutical goodies.
Pros
Free lunches quite often. Friendly staff.
Cons
Late hours on Tuesdays.
Volunteer
Street Outreach Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2013
I learned how to deal with patient information and how to interact with patients in caring manner

Want to know more about Howard Brown Health Center?

Ask a question
Fun
Event and Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
This was an internship position, so it provided a meager stipend. I enjoyed this position because I learned a lot about organizing a conference on a large scale and working with a larger group as a collaborative effort.
Pros
Everything I learned
Cons
It ended
Fun place to work great employees.
driver/cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2012
A typical day at work included hard non stop work good chemistry between co-workers was always stressed management was strict but friendly. Hardest part of the job was leaving, and i would have to say the funnest part was being around the customers and co-workers.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
loss of health benefits
Where it all started for me
Peer Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILAugust 20, 2012
Once I was introduce to this company, my life just took on a whole new meaning. They are friendly, fun but still take their jobs seriously.. I got a chance to travel meet new people and be apart of new things. I learned so much about my body, health, and along with helping others I was helping my self make better decision then I was at first. I love this group they really care about all youth and those that support them. This is simply a great company to work for or to volunteer at.
Interestting place that is always in turnoil
Mgr (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2012
Like many not-fo-profit organization, this company is always in turmoil. Fun place to be. The draw back is that there are lots friction within the "sub culture" of various GLBT groups

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard Brown Health Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2