Howard Center Employee Reviews

Flexible and collaborative
Living Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 17, 2018
The Howard Center cares deeply for it's employees as well as the diverse population that they provide services for. The pay is higher for social work positions than typically seen elsewhere. The benefits are generous as well.
Loved the clients, but management was a mess
Direct Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 27, 2017
I absolutely loved what I did at the Howard center but the management was a disaster. From being told one thing and then arriving to do it, and then they tell you “oh I forgot” or have some excuse as to how they messed up. The communication was horrible. It took my supervisor days to respond to me. He was super unprofessional. And I had several issues with him and ended up going to HR, after an on going battle to have HR to even get back to me (several phone calls, emails, etc) I advised him that I did not enjoy working with him and why I was going to HR to get things figured out, he retaliated and fired me for taking APPROVED time off due to medical reasons. Well, in the state of Vermont that is acceptable because it’s an “at will” state. So, be sure that even when you get approved time off, to make sure you’re in good terms first.
Pros
Clients, rewarding
Cons
Management, poor communication, supervision had no idea what they were doing
Okay, should pay more
Behavioral Interventionist and Clinician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 29, 2017
They do the best they can with the funding they get from the state, but honestly everyone in this type of work deserves to be paid more. Paid sick time is a plus. Good managers. Good coworkers. :)
productive
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 10, 2017
if you are a worker that is willing to go the distance then the howard center is right for you. you will be bringing clients out to do there daily dutties.
Pros
the staff and work enviroment
Cons
the office
Not what I was looking for.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 4, 2017
It was a bit stressful at Howard Center because management changed a couple of times. Working in substance abuse was informative however not something this writer wanted to do for a career.
Pros
Working with clients
Empoyees are not valued
Manager of Benefits, Payroll and HRIS (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 20, 2017
Over worked, hard to get vacation time. When you do take vacation still have to work. Supervisors don't care what is on your plate for work, they will keep adding to it and expect theirs to be priority even if you have deadlines.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Go somewhere else
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 31, 2017
There are no checks and balances at this agency. Most of the workers are miserable--just look around if you are in for an interview. The pay is too low to live in Burlington in most non management positions. There are other agencies in the area that are smaller and care more for their employees well being.
Busy environment and a great leader in community support.
Health Information Specialist-Medical (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 20, 2017
I have learned many administrative and people skills throughout my years. I have worked with an wide array of staff and clients and in assisting others have learned more myself. The agency is always busy and it can be a challenge to stay on top of work, but I have learned to be efficient and thoughtful in everything I do.
Excellent Place to work and most of all they help as many people in trouble as they can handle
Sr., Field and in House Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 7, 2017
My rating is a 10 of the Howard Center, I was there 8.25 years and just felt I needed a change.

They are in the Mental Health industry and this Is so needed in Vermont to help people who are homeless, domestic issues or worse.

Cannot say enough about a company that cares.
Pros
45 locations in Burlington alone
Cons
Staff Turn over.
Great place to help the community and work with friendly people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 26, 2017
Staff at Howard Center tend to be very friendly people whose passion for helping the community is also evident in how kind they are to one another.

Maybe because everyone is so kind supervision and professional development are lacking. It seems like people are afraid to offer constructive criticism because they are afraid of hurting feelings. Wish it was a culture of more direct feedback. Salaries are below average, even for a non-profit organization--but there are good benefits, including discounts at several local businesses. And these other benefits can be the equalizer for the low pay.

Want to know more about Howard Center?

Ask a question
Excellent pay than any other human services agencies
Intensive Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 19, 2017
Good communication. Not much to say. Seems like a good agency to work with. I wish they could have provided the tuition reimbursement package.
Pros
Good pay
Excellent Job Culture
PRC (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 7, 2015
I have worked for Howard Center for little over 12 years. The clients and people I work with are just amazing people that have taught me so much. The benefits are great too. The nature of the work is such that the job can be dangerous at times, but is nevertheless rewarding. The only "bad" about this agency is that there are not many advancement opportunities for people or to switch from clinical to a more administrative role.
Pros
Great people, rewarding work, caring job culture and excellent benefits package.
Cons
Safety is at risk sometimes due to rare, but real, client violence.
Great place to work to gain management experience
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 17, 2015
Howard Center does the best they can with the limited amount of resources. With tighter restrictions from the state the amount of time you get to spend with clients is decreasing. The work is very rewarding though.
Pros
8:30am-5pm Monday through Friday
Cons
Limited room for advancement
Too many layers of management
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 10, 2015
Not enough training-updates to procedures to meet changes in processing. communication with staff is limited.

The staff is wonderful. They all try very hard to offer the best service possible. Unfortunately the salaries are so low that the organization is always losing very talented individuals.
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Intern - Benefits and Compensation (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 17, 2015
The Howard Center is a great place to work. My coworkers were always pleasant and my manager was always respectful and helpful. I highly recommend work here.
People Who Care
First Call Clinician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 16, 2015
Great Team Environment, Qualified Staff, Opportunities for Education and Expansion of Existing Knowledge, Excellent Clinical Support, Excellent Community Relations, Excellent Level of Care for Consumers
management tells you you can advance but you cant
DAY SERVICES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Sac City, IAFebruary 2, 2015
i would wait for consumers to arrive at the Harry Rasmussen Bldg. (activity bldg) have them walk laps for exercise then begin the activities such as finger painting, kickball,baseball, beanbag throw just to name a few. When it was time for them to go home the bus would arrive and we would walk them to the bus and they would leave for the day.
Pros
the consumers are great
Cons
they dont offer insurance to part time employees
Awesome place to work
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 4, 2014
This is a great place to work, Diversity, friendly staff who care about their clients.
love working with the clients
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 29, 2014
great benefits
got paid days off
4o1k plan
loved the clients I worked with
great co workers
Pros
great health plan
Substitute (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 24, 2014
Never a dull moment! Loved every second of it. You can work with any age group. Great for being outside and traveling with clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Howard Center Reviews by Location