Howard Community College

Howard Community College Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work environment.
Teacher assistant volunteer (Current Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 24, 2015
Volunteering in Howard Community College is more than a positive experience. It is a privilege and an honor. Having been myself an English student as a second language helps me to be close to the students, like a hyphen between teacher and student.
Volunteering in HCC is having fun while helping people, sharing your time and learning from others.
Great place for educational advancement
STUDENT NURSE (Current Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 11, 2015
Howard Community College has changed my life for the better. I am now able to advance myself into the health care field. Working here has been great!
Productive, educational, and a fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Anthropology) (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 6, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: few hours
Howard Community College has provided a great atmosphere for learning and applying the learned methods through additional experiences. Professors find great joy in teaching and value their students learning efforts.

Howard Community College has provided me with great work opportunities, which consisted of learning, and assisting students as I learned. With my job status, I was able to accomplish and apply my efforts into helping other students understand the subject and assignments with ease. The hardest part about this position to me was, I felt that there was a lot more that I am capable of doing, and such little time to accomplish these many tasks.
A rewarding place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Columbia, MDFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: supportive for conferences
Cons: part time, hard to find full time.
Working with international students is rewarding and the ELC is a fantastic place because they are supportive and encouraging to both students and faculty. Management is highly experienced and knowledgeable.
Terrific
Language Instructor & Course Developer (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 22, 2015
Terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific terrific
Family based business
Adjunct Professor of Biology (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 10, 2015
Science division is ran by a tight circle of family members and family friends at their pleasure and nothing in common with long-term interest of that division. If you speak up - they will ostracize you, use students against you and get rid of you. Adjuncts are treated in the worst possible way, including the pay-rate. There are 3 adjuncts left them in 1 semester only.
Great place to work with Students
IT Support (Current Employee), Laurel, MDNovember 12, 2014
Providing computer help desk support via telephone and email with end-users. Performed diagnostics and troubleshooting of system issues, documented help desk tickets/resolutions, and maintained equipment inventory lists.
Loved it Loved it
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Columbia, MDSeptember 12, 2014
Very considerate. Fun time. Manageable work pace. I loved working at HCC as I was still a full time student then. I did not feel overwhelmed.
Wonderful place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2014
I was looking for a place that reminded me of my work environment at The Culinary Institute of America, and I found it at HCC.

The work environment is very professional. Compensation and Benefits are competitive!
Overall, I am enjoying my experience and will be sad when I have to leave.
A great Work Study position
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMay 29, 2014
Pros: free movie tickets, and free food
Cons: it is not a permanent position
A regular day working at Howard Community College included a number of exciting and fun activities. As a Office Assistant at the Student Life Office you are able to participate in many activities such as painting a pumpkin, creating a t-shirt. There are also movie nights and ping pong tournaments you are able to help coordinate. The job is not always fun though. There is filing, managing the front desk, and assisting customers when needed as well, but it is still very enjoyable thanks to the wonderful staff and co-workers.
a good stepping stone
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMay 6, 2014
Pros: great students who care about the coursework
Cons: low pay, management not great.
I enjoyed teaching at Howard, the pay for an adjunct is not high, but the students in these courses are there because they want to be there. Nice physical plant, a little cheap on equipment.
Part time job
IT Help Desk (Current Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 4, 2014
Its good, my supervisor is great no issues. I work 1 day a week
Very busy and productive workplace. Outstanding customer service and coworkers are very helpful.
Registration Specialist (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 9, 2013
Pros: professional atmosphere. excellent facilities.
Cons: no benefits including healthcare provided by the college. not enough working hours.
In a typical day, the records and registration office serves students from various walks of life seeking educational benefits for a multitude of reasons. The front counter personnel assist students in registering for classes, provide transcripts, and other important paperwork. The job is my introduction to the civilian world, having served 21+ years in the U.S. Navy and the lessons I have learned with regard to customer service and listening to students is invaluable. The management addresses complex employee and student issues and handles them with fairness and a high level of professionalism. The job presents some complexities, however, the team manages to pull together and produce solutions to complex problems in an effort to help the students and associated offices within the college. The most enjoyable and gratifying part of the job is knowing that I have provided the best customer service and assisted students with their registration needs.
great enviornment will great faculties
Mathematics tutor (Former Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 16, 2013
Pros: professional faculty and great working hours.
Cons: healthcare.
As an Engineering student, I earned a great experience in teaching Algebra and calculus to college students. I also had the opportunity to work as Mathematics assistance with math professors in one of the great community college in Maryland.
Great entry level experience
USER AND NETWORK SERVICES INTERN (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJuly 14, 2013
Cons: temporary
Great opportunity to use my certifications and training to gain invaluable knowledge and experience.
A great place
private EMT Instructor (Former Employee), columbia MarylandApril 2, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: little stability
I would show up to help my teacher instruct students in how to perform various medical procedures in smaller teams after the main demonstration had been done.

Supervising each student as they completed each task I would also advise them on how to improve.

I would then stay to awnser any questions they might have
Productive days at work
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee), Columbia, MarylandFebruary 1, 2013
Honest coworker, enjoying to teach. Then management is a fine. I have learned from my coworker many things including: cultural diversity, honesty, and many more.
Beware of Adjunct Positions
Adjunct instruction (Former Employee), Business StudiesJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: dedicated students, beautiful campus, good av aids.
Cons: disorganization, minimal support, too much work for pay
I worked as an adjunct for one term. I was required to invest a great deal of my time into developing my course, setting up my website, creating and grading exams and homework assignments, and assistimg students. Per hour, I wound up making less than the minimum wage, and was not contacted about continuing teaching the course again, so my investment was lost. To make matters worse, my teaching was observed one evening by a supervising professor without any prior warning; although I was completely prepared, I was taken by surprise. I received no feedback. I am quite dissapointed with my experience, and would advise anyone considering this that, the full-time professors only teach three courses per semester (often the on-line ones), will offer minimal help and have unusually high expectations of adjuncts; you will be "used" to the max.
Student work
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 27, 2013
A mix of labwork, after school meetings with Cyber Dense Team and Phi Thetta Kappa members
Excellent school to work for because of the professional development opportunities afforded to its employees.
Adjunct Math Instructor (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2012
I typically lecture for the first portion of class and then the students apply the lesson in various practice problems. I have learned that not all students have the same learning styles. Therefore, I must modify the lesson plans to their learning styles. My co-workers are extremely helpful in this area. The most enjoyable part of my job is establishing healthy relationships with my students.