Howard Community College Employee Reviews

All employees are family
Intern and IT consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 24, 2015
Everyone from each department and all of my co-workers got along like family. Because of this friendly dynamic communication and deadlines were very proficient.
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Classroom Aide - Mathematics Division (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 11, 2015
It was nice to get to work in a school environment because that's what I want to do with my life. Working with teachers was as much of a learning experience that you could get anywhere else.
Excellent staff
GED Instructor and Youth Academic Coach (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 16, 2015
I've been here for 2 years now and I have grown so much as an employee. This is largely due to the support I have received from co-workers. Everyone here cares so much about what they're doing and that has been inspirational and reflective in my own work. A typical day consists of me working with students one on one, tutoring them in any and all of the 4 GED subjects in order to help them obtain their GED and complete the program. I also teach the Advanced Language Arts class (GED class). The demographic I work with can sometimes be difficult, but over time I've developed a wonderful rapport with all of my students and have had many success stories in my short time working here.
bad
Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2015
Additionally participates in a partnership with AllianceQ, a network of companies that refer candidates for employment consideration. This network is free to join and potential opportunities are based on a confidential profile that you complete. While may not currently offer a position ideal for your skills and experience, you may be a fit for a partner company's employment opportunity.
Great environment for research and building lab skills.
Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 22, 2015
The 2 years I spent working for HCC were rewarding. I learned new skills. It prepared me for more advanced work in my field. My coworkers were kind and hard working. It was a great experience to work with my supervisors.
Pros
free space to work
Cons
schedule changes
Flexible Opportunites
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 12, 2015
Flexible teaching opportunities for many schedules. Great leadership. Decent Pay. A great way to build more education into your resume as well as impact young people who need direction and support in their careers.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Sometimes miscommunication between other CC's
Excellent college and workplace
Various Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 26, 2015
I loved both attending and working at Howard Community College. I learned from every experience there, from the excellent and informative classes to the work environment.
Enjoyable work environment.
Teacher assistant volunteer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 24, 2015
Volunteering in Howard Community College is more than a positive experience. It is a privilege and an honor. Having been myself an English student as a second language helps me to be close to the students, like a hyphen between teacher and student.
Volunteering in HCC is having fun while helping people, sharing your time and learning from others.
Great place for educational advancement
STUDENT NURSE (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 11, 2015
Howard Community College has changed my life for the better. I am now able to advance myself into the health care field. Working here has been great!
Productive, educational, and a fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Anthropology) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 6, 2015
Howard Community College has provided a great atmosphere for learning and applying the learned methods through additional experiences. Professors find great joy in teaching and value their students learning efforts.

Howard Community College has provided me with great work opportunities, which consisted of learning, and assisting students as I learned. With my job status, I was able to accomplish and apply my efforts into helping other students understand the subject and assignments with ease. The hardest part about this position to me was, I felt that there was a lot more that I am capable of doing, and such little time to accomplish these many tasks.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
few hours
A rewarding place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 2, 2015
Working with international students is rewarding and the ELC is a fantastic place because they are supportive and encouraging to both students and faculty. Management is highly experienced and knowledgeable.
Pros
supportive for conferences
Cons
part time, hard to find full time.
Family based business
Adjunct Professor of Biology (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 10, 2015
Science division is ran by a tight circle of family members and family friends at their pleasure and nothing in common with long-term interest of that division. If you speak up - they will ostracize you, use students against you and get rid of you. Adjuncts are treated in the worst possible way, including the pay-rate. There are 3 adjuncts left them in 1 semester only.
Great place to work with Students
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 12, 2014
Providing computer help desk support via telephone and email with end-users. Performed diagnostics and troubleshooting of system issues, documented help desk tickets/resolutions, and maintained equipment inventory lists.
Loved it Loved it
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 12, 2014
Very considerate. Fun time. Manageable work pace. I loved working at HCC as I was still a full time student then. I did not feel overwhelmed.
Wonderful place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2014
I was looking for a place that reminded me of my work environment at The Culinary Institute of America, and I found it at HCC.

The work environment is very professional. Compensation and Benefits are competitive!
Overall, I am enjoying my experience and will be sad when I have to leave.
A great Work Study position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 29, 2014
A regular day working at Howard Community College included a number of exciting and fun activities. As a Office Assistant at the Student Life Office you are able to participate in many activities such as painting a pumpkin, creating a t-shirt. There are also movie nights and ping pong tournaments you are able to help coordinate. The job is not always fun though. There is filing, managing the front desk, and assisting customers when needed as well, but it is still very enjoyable thanks to the wonderful staff and co-workers.
Pros
free movie tickets, and free food
Cons
it is not a permanent position
a good stepping stone
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 6, 2014
I enjoyed teaching at Howard, the pay for an adjunct is not high, but the students in these courses are there because they want to be there. Nice physical plant, a little cheap on equipment.
Pros
great students who care about the coursework
Cons
low pay, management not great.
Part time job
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 4, 2014
Its good, my supervisor is great no issues. I work 1 day a week
Very busy and productive workplace. Outstanding customer service and coworkers are very helpful.
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 9, 2013
In a typical day, the records and registration office serves students from various walks of life seeking educational benefits for a multitude of reasons. The front counter personnel assist students in registering for classes, provide transcripts, and other important paperwork. The job is my introduction to the civilian world, having served 21+ years in the U.S. Navy and the lessons I have learned with regard to customer service and listening to students is invaluable. The management addresses complex employee and student issues and handles them with fairness and a high level of professionalism. The job presents some complexities, however, the team manages to pull together and produce solutions to complex problems in an effort to help the students and associated offices within the college. The most enjoyable and gratifying part of the job is knowing that I have provided the best customer service and assisted students with their registration needs.
Pros
professional atmosphere. excellent facilities.
Cons
no benefits including healthcare provided by the college. not enough working hours.
great enviornment will great faculties
Mathematics tutor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 16, 2013
As an Engineering student, I earned a great experience in teaching Algebra and calculus to college students. I also had the opportunity to work as Mathematics assistance with math professors in one of the great community college in Maryland.
Pros
professional faculty and great working hours.
Cons
healthcare.

4.3