Howard Community College Employee Reviews

Fun and positive place to work
English Institute, Rebecca Price, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 7, 2016
I worked typically 3 days for 3-4 hours. I enjoyed the culture and the population I worked with. Most students were gracious and motivated to learn. They appreciated any assistance I gave them. The faculty is easy to work with and usually helpful. My supervisors were effective and trusted me to do my job and gave positive feedback. The hardest part of my job was working for less compensation. I learned each day different things about how each student learned. I enjoy seeing different students, with unique personalities overcome obstacles in learning.
Pros
Great faculty and students
Cons
Lower compensation than other places
Productive workplace with a game room for students
Game Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 1, 2017
Friendly people
not many benefits
a typical work day is sit behind the desk and sign-in and sign-out students and check out gaming equipment.
Pros
No pros
Cons
no healthcare for my position
Startalk Chinese TA
Startalk Chinese Language Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2017
It was an honor to work alongside great cast of teachers. We've taught privileged high school students Mandarin Chinese in a short but very intense duration of 4-5 weeks.

I've learned lots of skills that puts lots of new perspective in my life such as a teacher's responsibility, knowledge of teaching people of different backgrounds, and how to lead people to work together and how to lead for success.

I've also learned how to manage everything: time, lessons, and events to be held. Because how things can go wrong at any moment, I've learned this the hard way and it has benefitted my life ever since.

My coworkers were also a huge part of my experience because we are all like a family in Startalk. This job is always stressful because how intense and short it was, but we always had eachother for support.

I've found one thing about myself from working in this field: I loved working under this type of stress and it helped me in my time while I currently study at UMBC.
Pros
teaching young minds, inspiring them, leading people, you constantly learn about people and yourself.
Cons
Sometimes lack of communication with the upper-levels are barely existing, and that caused lots of setbacks. Other than that, everything else about this program is near perfect.
Straight foward
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2017
Tutoring is pretty straight forward. The teachers I worked for and with were very understanding and professional. I like how organized the scheduling was -- each employee was guaranteed their ideal number of hours to work.
Productive workplace with great culture
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 15, 2016
I have held two positions at HCC; a Math Aide, and an Office Assistant. Both positions taught me new skills, and I felt very welcomed. Management was good, and all my colleagues were friendly and goal oriented. The best part of the job was meeting new people, and making connections
Great Working Environment
MATH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 11, 2016
My work place created a conducive learning environment for both the tutors and the student. I learned how to express my self on certain topic to people around me and learned how to be patient with students who are slow at learning.
Having positive recollections and enjoying the vibrant atmosphere!
Post-Game Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 13, 2016
It's a highly reputable school and I certainly would recommend it.
On the side, I conduct interviews with Howard Community College athletes following sporting games and it's enabled me to obtain experience in the production line of work, whilst having fun watching games!
excellent place to work
Assistant Professor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  10901 little patuxent parkwayMay 11, 2016
the most enjoyable part of my job is being with students and seeing them learn new things. i have learned so much about the county and the culture of civility on the campus. my cookers are great to work with . Atypical day begins with getting to my office and preparing for the upcoming summer session. getting all the power points, and necessary paperwork.
Pros
excellent high technology
Cons
cafeteria building is a bit of a walk
Fun Job
Projectionist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 3, 2016
I enjoy setting up films for the students and visitors who come to the school. The majority of the people I've met while working this job have been kind, knowledgeable about the films i'm showing and the culture behind it. Its refreshing to be in an atmosphere of people who want to expand their knowledge about a culture through an art form such as the cinema.
Pros
Nice people, Nice boss, Good Films
Cons
Not enough Hours
Very busy and productive workplace. Outstanding customer service and coworkers are very helpful.
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 9, 2013
In a typical day, the records and registration office serves students from various walks of life seeking educational benefits for a multitude of reasons. The front counter personnel assist students in registering for classes, provide transcripts, and other important paperwork. The job is my introduction to the civilian world, having served 21+ years in the U.S. Navy and the lessons I have learned with regard to customer service and listening to students is invaluable. The management addresses complex employee and student issues and handles them with fairness and a high level of professionalism. The job presents some complexities, however, the team manages to pull together and produce solutions to complex problems in an effort to help the students and associated offices within the college. The most enjoyable and gratifying part of the job is knowing that I have provided the best customer service and assisted students with their registration needs.
Pros
Professional atmosphere. Excellent facilities.
Cons
No benefits including healthcare provided by the college. Not enough working hours.

Want to know more about Howard Community College?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2014
I was looking for a place that reminded me of my work environment at The Culinary Institute of America, and I found it at HCC.

The work environment is very professional. Compensation and Benefits are competitive!
Overall, I am enjoying my experience and will be sad when I have to leave.
cool
Child Learning Center Assistant(Work Study) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 6, 2016
This place was very cool. Easy job and great pay. Its a great job to work while going to school. Bale to do homework and get paid so thats cool.
Making a better campus
Plant operations (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 2, 2016
I work as a plant operations and every day we take orders to fix things on campus going to different classrooms. We also set up for board meetings and student activities. I learned how to read diagrams and set up sheets. The physical labor is the hardest part about this job. I love my co-workers and the organization.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay poorly
Good Place to Work
Computer Lab Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 27, 2016
Good place to work and grow as a Help Desk Lab Consultant. Troubleshoot printing and password services for students and faculty. Issue laptops through laptop rental program.
Excellent staff
GED Instructor and Youth Academic Coach (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 16, 2015
I've been here for 2 years now and I have grown so much as an employee. This is largely due to the support I have received from co-workers. Everyone here cares so much about what they're doing and that has been inspirational and reflective in my own work. A typical day consists of me working with students one on one, tutoring them in any and all of the 4 GED subjects in order to help them obtain their GED and complete the program. I also teach the Advanced Language Arts class (GED class). The demographic I work with can sometimes be difficult, but over time I've developed a wonderful rapport with all of my students and have had many success stories in my short time working here.
Flexible Opportunites
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 12, 2015
Flexible teaching opportunities for many schedules. Great leadership. Decent Pay. A great way to build more education into your resume as well as impact young people who need direction and support in their careers.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Sometimes miscommunication between other CC's
Excellent Community College
Adjunct Instructor in Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 17, 2016
I found very strong leadership at HCC. Furthermore the facilities are very nice and the students are respectful. I was given lead professors and treated like a professional.
A rewarding place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 2, 2015
Working with international students is rewarding and the ELC is a fantastic place because they are supportive and encouraging to both students and faculty. Management is highly experienced and knowledgeable.
Pros
supportive for conferences
Cons
part time, hard to find full time.
Productive, educational, and a fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Anthropology) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 6, 2015
Howard Community College has provided a great atmosphere for learning and applying the learned methods through additional experiences. Professors find great joy in teaching and value their students learning efforts.

Howard Community College has provided me with great work opportunities, which consisted of learning, and assisting students as I learned. With my job status, I was able to accomplish and apply my efforts into helping other students understand the subject and assignments with ease. The hardest part about this position to me was, I felt that there was a lot more that I am capable of doing, and such little time to accomplish these many tasks.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Few hours
bad
Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 26, 2015
Additionally participates in a partnership with AllianceQ, a network of companies that refer candidates for employment consideration. This network is free to join and potential opportunities are based on a confidential profile that you complete. While may not currently offer a position ideal for your skills and experience, you may be a fit for a partner company's employment opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4