Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

alot of work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 5, 2018
its not a bad place to work I do feel we work short a lot so that makes our day long an hard. an im moving soon so I need to find something else very soon.
Typical Day at Work
Admission Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 14, 2017
This is a Hospital for in and out patient services. The hospital is a fast paste environment. The employee's work together to make sure all patients are seen and treated as needed. The patient service is a priority. Employee's are evaluated for accuracy and time completion. Each Department has specific duties to help the hospital run smoothly.
Pros
discounts available
Cons
short staffed
Fantastic place to work
patient care technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 20, 2017
Though I had to relinquish my new job two months after starting due to an at-home injury that took a long time to resolve, I found HCGH to be one of the most well-organized, clean, modern, well-equipped, friendly and all-around great places to work and to be a patient. I worked in the telemetry unit and was looking forward to a long and productive relationship. Everyone there works as a team, management is fantastic, and I hated to have to leave, but was on the injured list for several months and had just begun, so had to relinquish the position. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Days started with report, which was always clear and concise. I learned a great deal about how a team actually works (instead of just saying the word "team" all the time), workplace culture was uniquely friendly and selfless, patient-oriented and everyone actually helped everyone else. The hardest part of the job was probably learning a new computer data entry system for patient information, and it wasn't that hard. The most enjoyable part was being on the floor with my team mates, taking care of our patients.
Pros
Clean, modern, well-equipped, well maanged.
Cons
None I can think of.
Case Management dept. was a Challenging job. Rewarding.
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 18, 2017
Case Mgmt was a good blend of Care Planning, Utilization Review, communication to insurers, discharge planning, patient family guidance and education.
Pros
Managed well, Proactive and Professional approach.
Cons
Nurses on the floors did not always work as a Team.
Good
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 16, 2017
Its great company to with.no lays off great benefits.always overtimes.great vacations time.good 401k program. Nice friendly place to work with great people
Good environment
Manager, Outpatient Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 5, 2017
Not a bad employer as a manager. No room for growth unless you get degrees. Good work environment unless you get sick. Work long hours ... some degree of tension in some areas
Worst experience since being a Patient Care Technician
Patient Care Technician/CNA (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 5, 2017
My interview went really well. They seemed so very personable. The hours were long. However, I noticed that once in the door, things changed. The nurses are very lazy and expect the techs to do all of their work. They are very prejudice. The only way patients get treated fairly is if they know someone that works there. Hardwork is not recognized. There is a lot of nepatism. If you mention or complain about anything you become a target. The turnover rate is extremely high.
Pros
Close to home, good community.
Cons
Hours, treatment of workers
Be ready to care.
RN Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 11, 2017
Learned to work through the tiredness. Fast paced and constant learning. Management and staff work well and hard to manage good outcomes for customers/ patients.
Pros
lots of learning
Cons
Can be great with the right people
Supply Chain Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 8, 2017
The job that I was hired for is an easy one. What makes it difficult and often times unbearable is the management staff in my department specifically, who do not know how to run a department successfully, while also making your employees feel welcome, appreciated, and valued.
You get to meet a lot of good people and a lot of bad people, the experience can be worthwhile or a waste depending on how you carry yourself and how you set your mind towards it.
Fun job but management makes your day drag , no teamwork
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 17, 2017
The job itself is easy and fun. I met great new people but management sucks. They don't see you as an individual. If your not a run and tell person you won't succeed . It was like being in high school all over again dealing with them.very immature!
Pros
Shift differentials, every other weekend off
Cons
Short breaks, bad management, no teamwork
Friendly, supportive, educational opportunities, great administrators
Clinical Educator Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 12, 2017
Great culture-Staff and leadership are very supportive. Many opportunities to learn and advance. Leadership is respectful and listens. Patients receive exceptional and compassionate care. Great hospital physicians.
Flexable hours
Administrative Secretary - II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 11, 2017
Nice place to work....close to home.
manager and coworkers made it a nice place to work
No room for growth
Need to get rid of PTO and have separate pots of leave
Pros
Flexable hours, coworkers, office atmosphere were all good
Cons
Short breaks, benefits could have been better
Great Place
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044August 7, 2017
Great place to work, people really come together to work as a unit to provide excellent healthcare to the community. Salary might not be as competitive as neighboring facilities
Hcgh
Assist in OR, Fluoroscopic and Special (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 23, 2017
a typical day at work was very frantic and at times chaotic; eventhough room assignments were given; techs were always interfering with assignments as well as procedures..very unprofessional.

became very proficient in OR and Fluoroscopic studies.

management was the absolute worst; no working knowledge of procedures and supplies needed, a great deal of pacification toward employees, dissention among co-workers.

getting tasks completed without unwanted interference from co-workers.

providing help for patients
CLINICAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 22, 2017
HCGH is a community hospital that is growing to meet the needs of the community we serve. They are striving to provide excellent care to all the patients and to remain up to date on all the evidence based best practice recommendations. The new management communicates well with the staff. The president of the hospital has monthly breakfast meetings open to all staff, the VP of nursing works hard to encourage opportunities for continuing educations and advancement and hospital leadership will make unit rounds in an effort to stay in touch with all staff members.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Very busy unit
Ok place to work
Analyst Medical Records clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 13, 2017
busy sometimes and sometimes slow paced. Good people from different departments. Most enjoyable is seeing different people everyday and helping them around the hospital.
OK to work
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 10, 2017
a normal day is very busy.. I learn you can get fired for any reason without listening the other side of the history. the little guy is always wrong.Management does not care about you as individual.I experience as an ex-employee.
Management was not supportive when I was there, and assumes that they know you personally and treats you accordingly, even though that is not accurate
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 17, 2017
I was in the ICU, which is stressful. Nurses did not help each other, and in fact, were very catty and talked about others behind their backs. Management was very disconnected, and didn't know what was going on in the unit, because they never came in to find out.
Pros
12 hour shifts, good benefits
Cons
Unsupportive culture
Great benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 29, 2017
The hospital has great benefits, appropriate patient to nurse ratio, up-to-date equipment. Friendly working environment and it is a member of the John's Hopkin's group
Never an employee
Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 22, 2017
I only worked here to complete clinical requirements for nursing school. Based on that limited knowledge I found it overall to be a pleasant environment.