Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

Patient Access/ Financial Clearance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 18, 2016
Salary and advancement is great, management could be improved bur overall Amalgamated is a great place to work
Great place to work. Just looking for a change.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 7, 2016
Nice People and Management; great benefits; just looking for a new challenge.

I have worked here for 11 years so it hasn't been a bad place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits; nice people
Cons
evaluations and raises are not consistent
Good Place to Work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to come to work everyday on time and do what I am suppose to do and leave unless I am working overtime which I do a lot!

You can learn a lot working at a hospital or just working anywhere! I've learned how to deal with people emotions the most because being in a hospital is not really a good thing...So at times you have people that come in who is visiting a family member, or may be a patient there and a lot of them are not in happy moods and they tend to take it out on everyone, so that's something I have learned to deal with.

Management are GREAT!

My co-workers feel like family! We all work very well together and always get along to get the job done!

I don't think anything at my job is hard for me at all!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help one another everyday, whether its a patient or one of my co-workers etc...
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Need to open more positions, short breaks
excellend
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2016
I loved working for the Hospital. I was extremely good at my jobs and was a go-to person in many different departments. I was flexible with them and the were flexible with me. I only left because of compensation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
compensation.
Management team when I was there was fabulous. very colaborative.
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 15, 2016
I joined the when the units were in flux, hospital was expanding and it was exciting to be included in the process. I was supported by upper management to build my staff and educate them.. I still miss them.
Pros
committed employees and management of all levels. Facilitated learning and advancement
Cons
physical plant
HCHG Career
Senior Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044October 3, 2016
The HCGH culture was a wonderful opportunity to work with many of the most caring and knowledgeable people I've had the privilege to know. There was a well balanced expectation of work and family, as well as support both within the work environment and for life outside of work. Having moved to the area specifically for this job, it was a the best environment to acclimate.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Manner that the EPIC implemenation was handled
Great staff
Emergency Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 8, 2016
Strong, cohesion department. Gained critical care and triage experience in a very busy setting. Co-workers are excellent and we all step up to help one another. Department and hospital are undergoing many management changes and turnover is extremely high. Morale has suffered over the past few months and the community has outgrown the size of the hospital.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
no breaks at times
Interesting workplace
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 27, 2016
Overall I absolutely love my job. I love getting to meet new people and being able to help them in their time of need. Also learning new medical terms and conditions. My coworkers are great, unfortunately management could use improvement.
Pros
Able to learn new things everyday
Cons
Poor Management
Great place to work if you're looking for late night shifts
Patient Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 2, 2015
Attractive benefit packages and nice corporate environment.
But because it is such a big organization, it takes many steps to get something done and management is going through some kind of change as of summer of 2015. Meaning a lot communication issues were being raised and stability was questionable.
Pros
security, established system
Cons
communication (too many people involved in any projects)
This hospital is a part of Johns Hopkins Hospital and is a good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 8, 2016
The hospital environment is positive for staff to learn. The culture is always trying to improve throughput of patients. There is a learning curve with change and change can be difficult. This results in growing pains.
productive, fun
Telemetric Unit Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 9, 2016
I had been so blessed to be part of a great companies, Howard county general hospital, I had learn so much, and I'm willing to keep experience more good times and meeting a lot of wonderful people all around the world, Now I am looking for new adventures that I can not wait to explore them.
Pros
fun place to workk
Cons
my schedule at night was a litthe hard to do even do, I love it
Great place to work with good team work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 12, 2016
A good place to work with great learning experience. The experience improves your critical thinking. One thing that I learned is how to do PD. The team work is great too.
An excellent place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 19, 2016
A wonderful place to work, great hospital, great team work, I enjoy every single moment working there, very encouraging managers
Pros
excellent care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 16, 2016
HCGH is a great place to work. Great teamwork and management. It's great to work with such a diverse group of people.
Always changing with lots of turn over
Outpatient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 6, 2016
More people are needed to do the job. We are always short staffed. It could be a great place to work if they cared more about employees. The hardest part of the job is the employee moral. I love my job though because I get to help take care of people.
Pros
Perscription discount
Cons
Overloaded
Nice people, poor working environment, management issues
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nursing AdministrationMarch 14, 2016
A typical day would include answering busy phones, attend meetings, take and transcribe minutes, manage my supervisor's calendar, always making sure she is not double booked and on time to meetings. Staffing for the hospital is part of my position if the regular staffing person is not there. This gives you an overview of how each unit operates.

I am responsible for Nursing Policies and Procedures, uploading them to the Hospital Portal so that Clinical people can relay to them as necessary.

Very busy office with a variety of tasks.
Fun place to work
OB Technician / Anesthesia Tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 20, 2016
Very clean, free parking. Security on site.

Have not work there over 15yrs. Co- workers were very caring.
Manager were always present.
Pros
free parking
Cons
N/A
Productive and nice place to work
HIM Indexer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2015
Everyday is never a dull moment. I enjoy working with my coworkers as we continue to learn the EMR system. The hardest part of my job is not be able to utilize all of my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the Doctors, patients, coworkers and ancillary departments in any way I can.

Management(Director) is the worst. She is unfair and shows favoritism- and it's obvious. If she has it out for you she does not hide it until she gets before HR and she will make them think you are worst employee. Anyway she can capitalize on errors or mistakes she does.
Pros
free parking and nice people to work with
Cons
Working in a closed area-no windows
NUrsing Technician 2
Nursing Technician II/Lead technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 24, 2016
*Making work assignments for the Technicians
*How to be a team player
*Was helpful and supportive
*Corporative
*Retiring
*Bathing patients
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Shortbreaks
A great place to work, a very professional workplace.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 20, 2016
Johns Hopkins Medicine at its best! I enjoy being part of this team.
The culture is one of professionalism and caring put together. The community is happy to have HCGH as its community hospital.
Pros
competitive pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard County General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Howard County General Hospital Reviews by Location