Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Management team when I was there was fabulous. very colaborative.
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 15, 2016
I joined the when the units were in flux, hospital was expanding and it was exciting to be included in the process. I was supported by upper management to build my staff and educate them.. I still miss them.
Pros
committed employees and management of all levels. Facilitated learning and advancement
Cons
physical plant
Fun place to work
OB Technician / Anesthesia Tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 20, 2016
Very clean, free parking. Security on site.

Have not work there over 15yrs. Co- workers were very caring.
Manager were always present.
Pros
free parking
Cons
N/A
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 16, 2016
HCGH is a great place to work. Great teamwork and management. It's great to work with such a diverse group of people.
Great place to work. Just looking for a change.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 7, 2016
Nice People and Management; great benefits; just looking for a new challenge.

I have worked here for 11 years so it hasn't been a bad place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits; nice people
Cons
evaluations and raises are not consistent
Always changing with lots of turn over
Outpatient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 6, 2016
More people are needed to do the job. We are always short staffed. It could be a great place to work if they cared more about employees. The hardest part of the job is the employee moral. I love my job though because I get to help take care of people.
Pros
Perscription discount
Cons
Overloaded
NUrsing Technician 2
Nursing Technician II/Lead technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 24, 2016
*Making work assignments for the Technicians
*How to be a team player
*Was helpful and supportive
*Corporative
*Retiring
*Bathing patients
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Shortbreaks
excellend
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2016
I loved working for the Hospital. I was extremely good at my jobs and was a go-to person in many different departments. I was flexible with them and the were flexible with me. I only left because of compensation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
compensation.
A great place to work, a very professional workplace.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 20, 2016
Johns Hopkins Medicine at its best! I enjoy being part of this team.
The culture is one of professionalism and caring put together. The community is happy to have HCGH as its community hospital.
Pros
competitive pay
Nice people, poor working environment, management issues
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nursing AdministrationMarch 14, 2016
A typical day would include answering busy phones, attend meetings, take and transcribe minutes, manage my supervisor's calendar, always making sure she is not double booked and on time to meetings. Staffing for the hospital is part of my position if the regular staffing person is not there. This gives you an overview of how each unit operates.

I am responsible for Nursing Policies and Procedures, uploading them to the Hospital Portal so that Clinical people can relay to them as necessary.

Very busy office with a variety of tasks.
great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 28, 2016
compassionate and well experience staff. excellent team work among staff. great place to work when going to nursing school. Each staff
Productive and nice place to work
HIM Indexer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2015
Everyday is never a dull moment. I enjoy working with my coworkers as we continue to learn the EMR system. The hardest part of my job is not be able to utilize all of my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the Doctors, patients, coworkers and ancillary departments in any way I can.

Management(Director) is the worst. She is unfair and shows favoritism- and it's obvious. If she has it out for you she does not hide it until she gets before HR and she will make them think you are worst employee. Anyway she can capitalize on errors or mistakes she does.
Pros
free parking and nice people to work with
Cons
Working in a closed area-no windows
Good Place to Work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to come to work everyday on time and do what I am suppose to do and leave unless I am working overtime which I do a lot!

You can learn a lot working at a hospital or just working anywhere! I've learned how to deal with people emotions the most because being in a hospital is not really a good thing...So at times you have people that come in who is visiting a family member, or may be a patient there and a lot of them are not in happy moods and they tend to take it out on everyone, so that's something I have learned to deal with.

Management are GREAT!

My co-workers feel like family! We all work very well together and always get along to get the job done!

I don't think anything at my job is hard for me at all!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help one another everyday, whether its a patient or one of my co-workers etc...
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Need to open more positions, short breaks
😞 hmmmm
medical records (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 8, 2015
I worked in the HIM department and favoritism is at an all time high! It is so obvious that what is done for a few isn't for others. It's sad because we all need jobs but when you notice this it makes you want to quit! Director is shady and claims to have an open door policy. But this isn't true at all. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, for the most part we were a team.
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Management needs to be more transparent and equal!
Great place to work if you're looking for late night shifts
Patient Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 2, 2015
Attractive benefit packages and nice corporate environment.
But because it is such a big organization, it takes many steps to get something done and management is going through some kind of change as of summer of 2015. Meaning a lot communication issues were being raised and stability was questionable.
Pros
security, established system
Cons
communication (too many people involved in any projects)
Everyone gets along, we are a close unit and we also incentives that allows us to vote for the best employee of the month or Superstar of the month
Patient Clerical Assistance (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 6, 2015
I have worked for Howard County General Hospital for a year, so far there isn't any complaints from me. When I was hired to work in the Orthopedics Department, everyone was fairly new with the exception of maybe four or five employees. Even my manager was new to the
department.

At the time we were all learning and getting to know each other, our manager came up with a good idea for colleagues to vote for the best employee and they will become the Superstar of the month, with their pictures taken and a gift card.

Working there a year has been a good year so far.
Pros
Get to put your own schedule in and choose which day you want off work, discount at the gift shop and cafeteria
Cons
Short lunch breaks, my current position you can't grow your skills, it's difficult to move forward with other positions that you are qualified for and interested in
This is a nice place to work. Fun staff.
Operating room RN, staff, (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MdAugust 26, 2015
This is a very nice place to work. An enjoyable work environment. The call is more than I would like to take, surgery gets very busy here.
Teamwork
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia HospitalAugust 10, 2015
Outstanding company to work for. All staff members uphold and value the company's missions and values. Uniform policy is awesome as well. Flexible scheduling. Teamwork is awesome.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Shortage of supplies at times
Work Experience
Dietary Cook (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 2, 2015
Great work Environment, I've learned a lot working for John Hopkins Medicine, it also build my character and Customer Service
Productive fun work place
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MarylandMay 23, 2015
This is a very fun productive job. It does get pretty hectic with the patients at time. We all work together as a team.I have learned nurse protocols and their duties and how they care for their patients.
Very nice place to work
Telemetry Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 20, 2015
HCGH is a wonderful place to work. The staff, both RNs and PCTs work very well together. The management staff are easy to communicate with. The hospital design is very comforting.

Howard County General Hospital Reviews by Location