Howard County General Hospital

Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive fun work place
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, MarylandMay 23, 2015
This is a very fun productive job. It does get pretty hectic with the patients at time. We all work together as a team.I have learned nurse protocols and their duties and how they care for their patients.
Very nice place to work
Telemetry Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Columbia, MDMay 20, 2015
HCGH is a wonderful place to work. The staff, both RNs and PCTs work very well together. The management staff are easy to communicate with. The hospital design is very comforting.
High intense
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), NICUMay 19, 2015
Pros: challenging
Cons: none
I work with level 3 NICU babies. Currently I run to labor and delivery for these admissions. I have learned time management and how to work together as a team.
challenges
Junior Network Administrator (Current Employee), Columbia, MDApril 24, 2015
Pros: fellow employee motivation
Cons: No employee motivation
I'm motivated with the task I receive each day at work and the positive remarks i get from fellow employees. Also occasional dinner or lunch during christmas or thanksgiving make the employee's feel as one big family.
great place to work and learn
Cinical Nurse IV (Current Employee), Columbia, MDApril 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short staffed all desciplines
the best part is my colleagues/peers. They are very supportive and friendly.
A great place to learn and explore professional strengths.
Management expect the impossible from staff.
Qwest Anyone
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MDApril 22, 2015
There is absolutely nothing I could say wrong. This by far was one of the best jobs I was ever given the opportunity to work at. Due to a company buy-out, we were laid off. It was so heart breaking, but I learned so much from my Director. The staff there were WONDERFUL. I wouldn't change a thing. I definitely had great times there.
Work Life in Dietary
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, MDApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Short Breaks
A great job to start your career in the medical field to transfer in 6 months time. Surrounded by older people with not the same work speed as the younger folk like me.
Great people in the hospital
Chart Analyst and file clerk (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good cafeteria food, great coworkers, nice maternity ward, parking lot was nice and free
Cons: pay for my jobs was not great, CEO was a nice guy
This hospital has a lot of work for its' employees. I would put inpatient charts together and flag the doctors for missing reports. I put a lot of charts together in the time I was there.
The management in the HIM dept was ok. Some managers played favorites with the employees, which is something I didn't appreciate.
The hardest part of the job was filing all those papers away in charts. I was also a file clerk before I was a chart analyst there.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. I got along with everyone there.
I they was the only job in the world i would not work for them
floor technician (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 3, 2015
Management has favoritism they tell hippa law nothing was done they all are friends with H.R. BROADWAY IS A contractor and they get away with murder supervisor PAUL COURTNEY touch employees on the butt the women are scared to say something because nothing happen's
50/50
Environmental Service Tech (Current Employee), Columbia, MDFebruary 28, 2015
decent job, just management is poor and that makes it difficult sometimes. work load is sometimes too much and sometimes it is enough to see you though eight hours.
Great Hospital
Director of Technical and Customer Services (Current Employee), Columbia, MarylandFebruary 9, 2015
Great Hospital in a great community. This is a community hospital and a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Our mission, "Provide the highest quality care to improve the health of our entire community through innovation, collaboration, service excellence, diversity, and a commitment to patient safety" is carried through in all that we do.
Excellent Hospital
Staff Nurse (ED Staff Nurse) (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 18, 2014
Pros: education and pay
Cons: unsure about advancement opportunities
The culture isn't what it could be, but overall A-.
The patient population is great. Management tries hard. The pay and hours are great.

I don't think I will ever leave this organization.
Excellent Hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Howard County, MDOctober 28, 2014
Pros: education assistance, excellent benefits
Cons: health risks
My review on Howard County General Hospital is that it's a hospital of great integrity and I learned a lot during my time there. In a typical day of work, every morning we would have a brief staff meeting to discuss any points of interest, then we were released to do rounds with the night staff. In the course of 12 hours, I would care for my patients by performing IV insertion, POC testing, phlebotomy and lab draws, Foley catheterization, ECG monitoring, checking vital signs, and assisting patients with ambulation and personal hygiene. It was at HCGH that I learned about IV insertion and specimen – more... collection, how to perform CPR and first aid, how to evaluate skin integrity, how to manage my time, and an abundance about infection control. And although it wasn't an easy job, we all took care of each other and their was no shortage of helping hands. As far as what were the hardest and easiest parts of my job: the hardest for me was faulty equipment, which was mostly limited to vital sign machines. And the best part of my job was my patients, learning their stories and being part of their recovery. As a patient care tech, I was given the opportunity to meet and care for people from all walks of life, and especially in a healthcare setting is it important to remember that people deserve respect. In short, I'm proud to have had the opportunity to be a PCT at HCGH, which inspired me to pursue a life long career in the health care field. – less
Great staff to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 23, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the staff here at Howard County general Hospital--friendly and always supportive.
Full time days as an adult acute care RN in a hospital
Medical/ Surgical Nurse (Current Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 8, 2014
Pros: full time day work of 36 hours per week
Cons: manditory holidays and mediocre salary increases
I work as a staff and charge nurse for a 30 bed M/S acute care unit. I perform pre and post operative care as well as the daily treatments for a wide variety of diseases. I oversee the tasks of patient care technicians and assist in training newly hired nurses.
Great Hospital and Staff
Administrative Assistant for Patient Care Services (Former Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 1, 2014
Pros: discounted cafeteria food, the staff, the appreciation/holiday celebration, my managers were great, flexible hours, my officemate
Howard County Hospital is a great hospital. Their number one goal is patient satisfaction and safety and my days consisted of assisting my Managers at achieving that goal. The staff is and are wonderful and management showed their appreciate to staff for their hard work and commitment to the patients constantly. Staff supported staff in every way possible, it was like a family and I was in charge of monitoring 200 of the greatest employees I have ever worked with. I have to say the hardest part of my job was resigning.
Love ER work...
(ER) RN (Former Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 4, 2014
Pros: doctors, helpful radiology staff, most peers willing to pitch in when needed.
Cons: malicious management, blatant favoritism.
However, new management pretty much decimated the staff. Turned employee against employee, went around trying to find any reason to write someone up, illegitimate and false accusations were common.

Blatant favoritism by certain staff members in managerial positions, advanced people who were not qualified, putting patients at risk. Denying advancement to those that were qualified due to personal bias.

Was a nice place to work until the current nursing administration took over. Doctors are/were great, most of the coworkers were great too, but few are still there. Many doctors have left too...
Busy
Admitting Counselor (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJune 30, 2014
Cons: management, walking, rude
Not to much to say about this hospital its a, you have to work at the place to see if you like it. It was a job I had to do to get experience and I didn't like it to much. The environment was to busy.
Great job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Maryland/DC Metro AreaJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: set schedules, health benefits
Great 1st step if you are trying to start a career in law enforcement, only difference you don't have a pistol. I loved how the force was run,proper and structured.
There was always something interesting to deal with.
Hospital Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 3, 2014
I worked the night shift while employed with this company and with the night came the crazies as they say. I learned how to deal with irate people and psychiatric patients in the appropriate ways. I was one of the managers along with one other that worked that shift. My fellow co-workers trusted in each other and had an open line of communication. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the death that happened frequently in that environment. But being able to make a deference in peoples lives made it all worth while.

1 2 3