Howard County General Hospital

Howard County General Hospital Employer Reviews

Excellent Hospital
Staff Nurse (ED Staff Nurse) (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 18, 2014
Pros: education and pay
Cons: unsure about advancement opportunities
The culture isn't what it could be, but overall A-.
The patient population is great. Management tries hard. The pay and hours are great.

I don't think I will ever leave this organization.
Excellent Hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Howard County, MDOctober 28, 2014
Pros: education assistance, excellent benefits
Cons: health risks
My review on Howard County General Hospital is that it's a hospital of great integrity and I learned a lot during my time there. In a typical day of work, every morning we would have a brief staff meeting to discuss any points of interest, then we were released to do rounds with the night staff. In the course of 12 hours, I would care for my patients – more... by performing IV insertion, POC testing, phlebotomy and lab draws, Foley catheterization, ECG monitoring, checking vital signs, and assisting patients with ambulation and personal hygiene. It was at HCGH that I learned about IV insertion and specimen collection, how to perform CPR and first aid, how to evaluate skin integrity, how to manage my time, and an abundance about infection control. And although it wasn't an easy job, we all took care of each other and their was no shortage of helping hands. As far as what were the hardest and easiest parts of my job: the hardest for me was faulty equipment, which was mostly limited to vital sign machines. And the best part of my job was my patients, learning their stories and being part of their recovery. As a patient care tech, I was given the opportunity to meet and care for people from all walks of life, and especially in a healthcare setting is it important to remember that people deserve respect. In short, I'm proud to have had the opportunity to be a PCT at HCGH, which inspired me to pursue a life long career in the health care field. – less
Great staff to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 23, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the staff here at Howard County general Hospital--friendly and always supportive.
Full time days as an adult acute care RN in a hospital
Medical/ Surgical Nurse (Current Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 8, 2014
Pros: full time day work of 36 hours per week
Cons: manditory holidays and mediocre salary increases
I work as a staff and charge nurse for a 30 bed M/S acute care unit. I perform pre and post operative care as well as the daily treatments for a wide variety of diseases. I oversee the tasks of patient care technicians and assist in training newly hired nurses.
Great Hospital and Staff
Administrative Assistant for Patient Care Services (Former Employee), Columbia, MDOctober 1, 2014
Pros: discounted cafeteria food, the staff, the appreciation/holiday celebration, my managers were great, flexible hours, my officemate
Howard County Hospital is a great hospital. Their number one goal is patient satisfaction and safety and my days consisted of assisting my Managers at achieving that goal. The staff is and are wonderful and management showed their appreciate to staff for their hard work and commitment to the patients constantly. Staff supported staff in every way possible, – more... it was like a family and I was in charge of monitoring 200 of the greatest employees I have ever worked with. I have to say the hardest part of my job was resigning. – less
Love ER work...
(ER) RN (Former Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 4, 2014
Pros: doctors, helpful radiology staff, most peers willing to pitch in when needed.
Cons: malicious management, blatant favoritism.
However, new management pretty much decimated the staff. Turned employee against employee, went around trying to find any reason to write someone up, illegitimate and false accusations were common.

Blatant favoritism by certain staff members in managerial positions, advanced people who were not qualified, putting patients at risk. Denying advancement – more... to those that were qualified due to personal bias.

Was a nice place to work until the current nursing administration took over. Doctors are/were great, most of the coworkers were great too, but few are still there. Many doctors have left too... – less
Busy
Admitting Counselor (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJune 30, 2014
Cons: management, walking, rude
Not to much to say about this hospital its a, you have to work at the place to see if you like it. It was a job I had to do to get experience and I didn't like it to much. The environment was to busy.
Loved my job but not the administration.
Out Patient Scheduler/Registrar (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMay 8, 2014
Pros: helping people.
Cons: showing favoritism to some employees.
The job was great. I loved working with people and it gave me a great sense of pride knowing I was helping make a difficult time a little easier.
I learned a lot more about how to treat patient's/customers (whatever the case may be).
Management did not have it all together. There were many errors in prep for some tests. You could ask a question to 5 – more... people and get 5 different answers. Did not seem that everyone was on the same page. Management had their favorite employees who were given special treatment. – less
There was always something interesting to deal with.
Hospital Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 3, 2014
I worked the night shift while employed with this company and with the night came the crazies as they say. I learned how to deal with irate people and psychiatric patients in the appropriate ways. I was one of the managers along with one other that worked that shift. My fellow co-workers trusted in each other and had an open line of communication. The – more... hardest part of my job was dealing with the death that happened frequently in that environment. But being able to make a deference in peoples lives made it all worth while. – less
Co-workers make working there a delight.
Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 26, 2013
Management doesn't always make you feel appreciated and haven't seen much room for advancement. Working environment is worth it because of the staff.
Great company.
Appeals /Collections Analyst (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 3, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: inflexible schedule, limited options for lateral moves.
Not very well-structured postion. Constant changes. Bottle-necks at front-, and back-end of process frustrates efforts at productivity. Fixes are of low priority in the context of company-wide, post-'software transition' chaos.
Fun and interesting place to work. learn new things every time
Volunteer (Current Employee), Columbia, MarylandOctober 14, 2013
A typical day is interesting and challenging because different clients with different issues en-counted everyday.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
productive and fun place to work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee), columbia marylandOctober 6, 2013
Great people to work with and great place to work. I learned how to interact with patients. The management staff are good and understanding people, they will work with your schedule for example if you are in school.
Caring
Medical Assistant, ekg tech (Former Employee), Columbia, MDSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime
Loved the staff, very busy hospital always a challenge, something going on different every minute, I love taking care of people always have, just to see how far they have come from recovery, and how thankful they r that u were there for them every step of the way, not only for the patient but for the family as well, it feels ur heart with joy, working – more... with patients u always come home with no regrets cause u have touched someone somehow in so many different ways. – less
Fun place to work
PCA on MCU & Peds (Current Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 28, 2013
Everyday you are able to work with people who are excited to be at work. They are able to care for their patients with lots of care. The management listens to any concerns that you may have and tries to solves any issues in a quick matter.
Okay place to work for
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 28, 2013
A typical day would be to scan documents into the computer, pull files for appointments. My co-workers were nice people to work for
Loved it
Analyst (Former Employee), Columbia, MarylandAugust 1, 2013
Pros: great bosses
Cons: nothing
The people were great to work with. There is a lot of room for advancement. People are willing to help you out.
Excellent Team work
Medical/Surgical Nurse (Current Employee), Columbia, MDJuly 1, 2013
Pros: small environment, johns hopkins affiliation
The hospital provides a small environment and a warm friendly staff that provides excellent customer service to patients
Learning how to deal with psych pt
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Former Employee), Columbia MdJune 19, 2013
Took care of Psychiatric pt.How to watch your back at all time. Was not supporting at all.Was not supporting and did not know how to work as a team. When you have to work a long in a not so good environment.
Great Community Hospital
Patient Care Technician II (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJune 11, 2013
This was the first healthcare employer for me, and it was a great experience. I worked day shift and night shift. I worked with a variety of people from all around the world. It was a quiet place to work.