Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

Friendly, supportive, educational opportunities, great administrators
Clinical Educator Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 12, 2017
Great culture-Staff and leadership are very supportive. Many opportunities to learn and advance. Leadership is respectful and listens. Patients receive exceptional and compassionate care. Great hospital physicians.
Flexable hours
Administrative Secretary - II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 11, 2017
Nice place to work....close to home.
manager and coworkers made it a nice place to work
No room for growth
Need to get rid of PTO and have separate pots of leave
Pros
Flexable hours, coworkers, office atmosphere were all good
Cons
Short breaks, benefits could have been better
Great Place
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044August 7, 2017
Great place to work, people really come together to work as a unit to provide excellent healthcare to the community. Salary might not be as competitive as neighboring facilities
Hcgh
Assist in OR, Fluoroscopic and Special (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 23, 2017
a typical day at work was very frantic and at times chaotic; eventhough room assignments were given; techs were always interfering with assignments as well as procedures..very unprofessional.

became very proficient in OR and Fluoroscopic studies.

management was the absolute worst; no working knowledge of procedures and supplies needed, a great deal of pacification toward employees, dissention among co-workers.

getting tasks completed without unwanted interference from co-workers.

providing help for patients
CLINICAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 22, 2017
HCGH is a community hospital that is growing to meet the needs of the community we serve. They are striving to provide excellent care to all the patients and to remain up to date on all the evidence based best practice recommendations. The new management communicates well with the staff. The president of the hospital has monthly breakfast meetings open to all staff, the VP of nursing works hard to encourage opportunities for continuing educations and advancement and hospital leadership will make unit rounds in an effort to stay in touch with all staff members.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Very busy unit
Ok place to work
Analyst Medical Records clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 13, 2017
busy sometimes and sometimes slow paced. Good people from different departments. Most enjoyable is seeing different people everyday and helping them around the hospital.
OK to work
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 10, 2017
a normal day is very busy.. I learn you can get fired for any reason without listening the other side of the history. the little guy is always wrong.Management does not care about you as individual.I experience as an ex-employee.
Management was not supportive when I was there, and assumes that they know you personally and treats you accordingly, even though that is not accurate
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 17, 2017
I was in the ICU, which is stressful. Nurses did not help each other, and in fact, were very catty and talked about others behind their backs. Management was very disconnected, and didn't know what was going on in the unit, because they never came in to find out.
Pros
12 hour shifts, good benefits
Cons
Unsupportive culture
Great benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 29, 2017
The hospital has great benefits, appropriate patient to nurse ratio, up-to-date equipment. Friendly working environment and it is a member of the John's Hopkin's group
Never an employee
Student (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 22, 2017
I only worked here to complete clinical requirements for nursing school. Based on that limited knowledge I found it overall to be a pleasant environment.
Very friendly place to work
Telemetry Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 25, 2017
Staff was very diverse and friendly. Everyone works together for the good of the patient. Good management support. Opportunity for growth and development.
Pros
Diverse and friendly
Cons
Patient care can be stressful at times
I loved working as a RN Case Manager.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 24, 2017
Case management has evolved over the years at Howard County General hospital. In years past, the model was combination of utilization nurse and case manager. Now each component is individualized and works with the Interdisciplinary team to provide the best outcomes for the patient..
Great workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 16, 2017
The hospital does not pay well but other than that they treat their employees very well. Good hours and paid time off. They also offer free classes to advance your skil set
loved working with my co workers
Insurance auth clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 3, 2017
Worked here for almost 11 years first in the admitting department and then had a opportunity to move over to insurance verifications. Had some good managers and some that I had problems with. Good work enviroment until approximately the last year.
Depends on the dept
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 31, 2017
If you have a bad manager it is not a great place to work. It could be worse though. If you have a manager that is great it is much easier to work there.
benefits
Cons
bad managerment
Productive, Consistent work load,
EPIC. Data entry of demographics (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 22, 2017
Start early a.m., I have learned the EPIC system used in most medical facilities. Management listens to your concerns, sometimes seem to favor others. Culture workplace is pleasant environment full of many cultures and whom speak several languages. The hardest part of my job is going home, I tend stay longer pass my shift at times to be sure my tasks are all completed. The most enjoyable part of my job is Patient Satisfaction and customer service to all Patient's, customers, and co-workers.
Pros
Flexible hours and schedule
Cons
Not much room for growth in Clerical Field
Very caring hospital
Shift Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 21, 2017
A great hospital with team focused employees. We have great leaders and focus always on quality patient care and safety. I miss my peers and I know things will continue to go well.
Pros
Great team working together
Poorly Managed
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 20, 2017
All I can say is this facility is poorly managed and leaves you with job security concerns everyday. From the start of my employment, there were problems. For example, I was unable to document for over 2 weeks, while seeing patients. Despite great patients and support from fellow SLPs, it was not the work environment I desired.
n/a
Ancillary assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 13, 2017
I like anwers phone it is a great experience for me because I learn a lot from people you talk to and are all from diferrent place we have different culture
Pros
N/a
Cons
n/a
Great work environment
Pharmacist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044February 2, 2017
people are nice and easy to work with or get along with. Work schedule not always family friendly. Very diverse workforce. Great opportunities to volunteer and help the community.
Pros
close to home
Cons
high turn over, parking