Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to Work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to come to work everyday on time and do what I am suppose to do and leave unless I am working overtime which I do a lot!

You can learn a lot working at a hospital or just working anywhere! I've learned how to deal with people emotions the most because being in a hospital is not really a good thing...So at times you have people that come in who is visiting a family member, or may be a patient there and a lot of them are not in happy moods and they tend to take it out on everyone, so that's something I have learned to deal with.

Management are GREAT!

My co-workers feel like family! We all work very well together and always get along to get the job done!

I don't think anything at my job is hard for me at all!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help one another everyday, whether its a patient or one of my co-workers etc...
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Need to open more positions, short breaks
Great place to work if you're looking for late night shifts
Patient Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 2, 2015
Attractive benefit packages and nice corporate environment.
But because it is such a big organization, it takes many steps to get something done and management is going through some kind of change as of summer of 2015. Meaning a lot communication issues were being raised and stability was questionable.
Pros
security, established system
Cons
communication (too many people involved in any projects)
Productive and nice place to work
HIM Indexer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2015
Everyday is never a dull moment. I enjoy working with my coworkers as we continue to learn the EMR system. The hardest part of my job is not be able to utilize all of my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the Doctors, patients, coworkers and ancillary departments in any way I can.

Management(Director) is the worst. She is unfair and shows favoritism- and it's obvious. If she has it out for you she does not hide it until she gets before HR and she will make them think you are worst employee. Anyway she can capitalize on errors or mistakes she does.
Pros
free parking and nice people to work with
Cons
Working in a closed area-no windows
Nice people, poor working environment, management issues
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nursing AdministrationMarch 14, 2016
A typical day would include answering busy phones, attend meetings, take and transcribe minutes, manage my supervisor's calendar, always making sure she is not double booked and on time to meetings. Staffing for the hospital is part of my position if the regular staffing person is not there. This gives you an overview of how each unit operates.

I am responsible for Nursing Policies and Procedures, uploading them to the Hospital Portal so that Clinical people can relay to them as necessary.

Very busy office with a variety of tasks.
😞 hmmmm
medical records (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 8, 2015
I worked in the HIM department and favoritism is at an all time high! It is so obvious that what is done for a few isn't for others. It's sad because we all need jobs but when you notice this it makes you want to quit! Director is shady and claims to have an open door policy. But this isn't true at all. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, for the most part we were a team.
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Management needs to be more transparent and equal!
great place to work and learn
Cinical Nurse IV (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 23, 2015
the best part is my colleagues/peers. They are very supportive and friendly.
A great place to learn and explore professional strengths.
Management expect the impossible from staff.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short staffed all desciplines
excellend
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2016
I loved working for the Hospital. I was extremely good at my jobs and was a go-to person in many different departments. I was flexible with them and the were flexible with me. I only left because of compensation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
compensation.
Everyone gets along, we are a close unit and we also incentives that allows us to vote for the best employee of the month or Superstar of the month
Patient Clerical Assistance (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 6, 2015
I have worked for Howard County General Hospital for a year, so far there isn't any complaints from me. When I was hired to work in the Orthopedics Department, everyone was fairly new with the exception of maybe four or five employees. Even my manager was new to the
department.

At the time we were all learning and getting to know each other, our manager came up with a good idea for colleagues to vote for the best employee and they will become the Superstar of the month, with their pictures taken and a gift card.

Working there a year has been a good year so far.
Pros
Get to put your own schedule in and choose which day you want off work, discount at the gift shop and cafeteria
Cons
Short lunch breaks, my current position you can't grow your skills, it's difficult to move forward with other positions that you are qualified for and interested in
great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 28, 2016
compassionate and well experience staff. excellent team work among staff. great place to work when going to nursing school. Each staff
Full time days as an adult acute care RN in a hospital
Medical/ Surgical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 8, 2014
I work as a staff and charge nurse for a 30 bed M/S acute care unit. I perform pre and post operative care as well as the daily treatments for a wide variety of diseases. I oversee the tasks of patient care technicians and assist in training newly hired nurses.
Pros
full time day work of 36 hours per week
Cons
manditory holidays and mediocre salary increases
Excellent Hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Howard County, MDOctober 28, 2014
My review on Howard County General Hospital is that it's a hospital of great integrity and I learned a lot during my time there. In a typical day of work, every morning we would have a brief staff meeting to discuss any points of interest, then we were released to do rounds with the night staff. In the course of 12 hours, I would care for my patients by performing IV insertion, POC testing, phlebotomy and lab draws, Foley catheterization, ECG monitoring, checking vital signs, and assisting patients with ambulation and personal hygiene. It was at HCGH that I learned about IV insertion and specimen collection, how to perform CPR and first aid, how to evaluate skin integrity, how to manage my time, and an abundance about infection control. And although it wasn't an easy job, we all took care of each other and their was no shortage of helping hands. As far as what were the hardest and easiest parts of my job: the hardest for me was faulty equipment, which was mostly limited to vital sign machines. And the best part of my job was my patients, learning their stories and being part of their recovery. As a patient care tech, I was given the opportunity to meet and care for people from all walks of life, and especially in a healthcare setting is it important to remember that people deserve respect. In short, I'm proud to have had the opportunity to be a PCT at HCGH, which inspired me to pursue a life long career in the health care field.
Pros
education assistance, excellent benefits
Cons
health risks
Great people in the hospital
Chart Analyst and file clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2015
This hospital has a lot of work for its' employees. I would put inpatient charts together and flag the doctors for missing reports. I put a lot of charts together in the time I was there.
The management in the HIM dept was ok. Some managers played favorites with the employees, which is something I didn't appreciate.
The hardest part of the job was filing all those papers away in charts. I was also a file clerk before I was a chart analyst there.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. I got along with everyone there.
Pros
Good cafeteria food, great coworkers, nice maternity ward, parking lot was nice and free
Cons
pay for my jobs was not great, CEO was a nice guy
HCGH is a good place to work. I would just like to move on to be closer to home.
PCA - Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Job Location is in the Intensive Care Unit.April 3, 2012
Howard County General Hospital is a pleasant place to work. Everyone is friendly and work as a team.
Pros
community hospital where everyone is family
Cons
limited raises (last raise: 15 cents per hr.), that is not compensating for the rise in gas, etc.
Great company.
Appeals /Collections Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 3, 2013
Not very well-structured postion. Constant changes. Bottle-necks at front-, and back-end of process frustrates efforts at productivity. Fixes are of low priority in the context of company-wide, post-'software transition' chaos.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
inflexible schedule, limited options for lateral moves.
Great job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Maryland/DC Metro AreaJanuary 25, 2014
Great 1st step if you are trying to start a career in law enforcement, only difference you don't have a pistol. I loved how the force was run,proper and structured.
Pros
set schedules, health benefits
This is a nice place to work. Fun staff.
Operating room RN, staff, (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MdAugust 26, 2015
This is a very nice place to work. An enjoyable work environment. The call is more than I would like to take, surgery gets very busy here.
Teamwork
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia HospitalAugust 10, 2015
Outstanding company to work for. All staff members uphold and value the company's missions and values. Uniform policy is awesome as well. Flexible scheduling. Teamwork is awesome.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Shortage of supplies at times
Love ER work...
(ER) RN (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 4, 2014
However, new management pretty much decimated the staff. Turned employee against employee, went around trying to find any reason to write someone up, illegitimate and false accusations were common.

Blatant favoritism by certain staff members in managerial positions, advanced people who were not qualified, putting patients at risk. Denying advancement to those that were qualified due to personal bias.

Was a nice place to work until the current nursing administration took over. Doctors are/were great, most of the coworkers were great too, but few are still there. Many doctors have left too...
Pros
doctors, helpful radiology staff, most peers willing to pitch in when needed.
Cons
malicious management, blatant favoritism.
Very nice place to work
Telemetry Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 20, 2015
HCGH is a wonderful place to work. The staff, both RNs and PCTs work very well together. The management staff are easy to communicate with. The hospital design is very comforting.
Excellent Hospital
Staff Nurse (ED Staff Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 18, 2014
The culture isn't what it could be, but overall A-.
The patient population is great. Management tries hard. The pay and hours are great.

I don't think I will ever leave this organization.
Pros
education and pay
Cons
unsure about advancement opportunities