Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

Excellent Hospital
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Howard County, MDOctober 28, 2014
My review on Howard County General Hospital is that it's a hospital of great integrity and I learned a lot during my time there. In a typical day of work, every morning we would have a brief staff meeting to discuss any points of interest, then we were released to do rounds with the night staff. In the course of 12 hours, I would care for my patients by performing IV insertion, POC testing, phlebotomy and lab draws, Foley catheterization, ECG monitoring, checking vital signs, and assisting patients with ambulation and personal hygiene. It was at HCGH that I learned about IV insertion and specimen collection, how to perform CPR and first aid, how to evaluate skin integrity, how to manage my time, and an abundance about infection control. And although it wasn't an easy job, we all took care of each other and their was no shortage of helping hands. As far as what were the hardest and easiest parts of my job: the hardest for me was faulty equipment, which was mostly limited to vital sign machines. And the best part of my job was my patients, learning their stories and being part of their recovery. As a patient care tech, I was given the opportunity to meet and care for people from all walks of life, and especially in a healthcare setting is it important to remember that people deserve respect. In short, I'm proud to have had the opportunity to be a PCT at HCGH, which inspired me to pursue a life long career in the health care field.
Pros
education assistance, excellent benefits
Cons
health risks
Everyone gets along, we are a close unit and we also incentives that allows us to vote for the best employee of the month or Superstar of the month
Patient Clerical Assistance (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 6, 2015
I have worked for Howard County General Hospital for a year, so far there isn't any complaints from me. When I was hired to work in the Orthopedics Department, everyone was fairly new with the exception of maybe four or five employees. Even my manager was new to the
department.

At the time we were all learning and getting to know each other, our manager came up with a good idea for colleagues to vote for the best employee and they will become the Superstar of the month, with their pictures taken and a gift card.

Working there a year has been a good year so far.
Pros
Get to put your own schedule in and choose which day you want off work, discount at the gift shop and cafeteria
Cons
Short lunch breaks, my current position you can't grow your skills, it's difficult to move forward with other positions that you are qualified for and interested in
Good Place to Work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to come to work everyday on time and do what I am suppose to do and leave unless I am working overtime which I do a lot!

You can learn a lot working at a hospital or just working anywhere! I've learned how to deal with people emotions the most because being in a hospital is not really a good thing...So at times you have people that come in who is visiting a family member, or may be a patient there and a lot of them are not in happy moods and they tend to take it out on everyone, so that's something I have learned to deal with.

Management are GREAT!

My co-workers feel like family! We all work very well together and always get along to get the job done!

I don't think anything at my job is hard for me at all!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help one another everyday, whether its a patient or one of my co-workers etc...
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Need to open more positions, short breaks
Productive friendly work environment.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 23, 2013
I work 12 hours Night-shift and every third weekend. A typical work day/night consist of performing my duties as a patient care technician to the full extent while providing comforting care to all patients and also, admitting, discharging and sending patients to to and from the Pacu, ER and other units in the hospital. Management and co-workers provided great support and team work when ever needed.The hardest part of the job was seeing someone leave or pass on that you have conected with or has made a great impression on my life. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I can count on my co-workers for their great team work ethic, and knowing that I was abe to make an impression and comfort/console someone in their time of need.
Love ER work...
(ER) RN (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 4, 2014
However, new management pretty much decimated the staff. Turned employee against employee, went around trying to find any reason to write someone up, illegitimate and false accusations were common.

Blatant favoritism by certain staff members in managerial positions, advanced people who were not qualified, putting patients at risk. Denying advancement to those that were qualified due to personal bias.

Was a nice place to work until the current nursing administration took over. Doctors are/were great, most of the coworkers were great too, but few are still there. Many doctors have left too...
Pros
doctors, helpful radiology staff, most peers willing to pitch in when needed.
Cons
malicious management, blatant favoritism.
Great Hospital and Staff
Administrative Assistant for Patient Care Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 1, 2014
Howard County Hospital is a great hospital. Their number one goal is patient satisfaction and safety and my days consisted of assisting my Managers at achieving that goal. The staff is and are wonderful and management showed their appreciate to staff for their hard work and commitment to the patients constantly. Staff supported staff in every way possible, it was like a family and I was in charge of monitoring 200 of the greatest employees I have ever worked with. I have to say the hardest part of my job was resigning.
Pros
discounted cafeteria food, the staff, the appreciation/holiday celebration, my managers were great, flexible hours, my officemate
Great people in the hospital
Chart Analyst and file clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2015
This hospital has a lot of work for its' employees. I would put inpatient charts together and flag the doctors for missing reports. I put a lot of charts together in the time I was there.
The management in the HIM dept was ok. Some managers played favorites with the employees, which is something I didn't appreciate.
The hardest part of the job was filing all those papers away in charts. I was also a file clerk before I was a chart analyst there.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. I got along with everyone there.
Pros
Good cafeteria food, great coworkers, nice maternity ward, parking lot was nice and free
Cons
pay for my jobs was not great, CEO was a nice guy
Productive and nice place to work
HIM Indexer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2015
Everyday is never a dull moment. I enjoy working with my coworkers as we continue to learn the EMR system. The hardest part of my job is not be able to utilize all of my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the Doctors, patients, coworkers and ancillary departments in any way I can.

Management(Director) is the worst. She is unfair and shows favoritism- and it's obvious. If she has it out for you she does not hide it until she gets before HR and she will make them think you are worst employee. Anyway she can capitalize on errors or mistakes she does.
Pros
free parking and nice people to work with
Cons
Working in a closed area-no windows
Comfortable Nurse louge for long hours
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 12, 2012
When I first get on my shift I get they log from the person i'm relieving. Go check on and meet my clients for the day. After checking and logging in I start my rounds. Rounds include urine input and output, vital, any blood draw, saline locks,EKG orders. I loved my job, the hardest part of my job was when I had to work the Peds emergency room, children are so afraid of the hospital and they really hate needles. I am a people person and i'm comforting so people like that when they are sick.
Pros
after 6 months they wii pay for you to futher your education
Cons
very sort breaks, and short staffed, get drafted allot
There was always something interesting to deal with.
Hospital Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 3, 2014
I worked the night shift while employed with this company and with the night came the crazies as they say. I learned how to deal with irate people and psychiatric patients in the appropriate ways. I was one of the managers along with one other that worked that shift. My fellow co-workers trusted in each other and had an open line of communication. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the death that happened frequently in that environment. But being able to make a deference in peoples lives made it all worth while.
Very successful and eager learning environment
Student Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 9, 2013
Throughout my two years in the Radiologic Technology program, I rotated through different modalities in Howard County General Hospital. Each aspect of the hospital and each department was so willing to help and teach the students what the field is all about. I rotated through Diagnostic Imaging, Mammography, Interventional Radiology, and CAT scan. The more information I could take in, I would. I am looking forward to talking all of those hints and tips and applying it to my own career in the radiology field.
Caring
Medical Assistant, ekg tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 9, 2013
Loved the staff, very busy hospital always a challenge, something going on different every minute, I love taking care of people always have, just to see how far they have come from recovery, and how thankful they r that u were there for them every step of the way, not only for the patient but for the family as well, it feels ur heart with joy, working with patients u always come home with no regrets cause u have touched someone somehow in so many different ways.
Pros
lots of overtime
Great place to work if you're looking for late night shifts
Patient Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 2, 2015
Attractive benefit packages and nice corporate environment.
But because it is such a big organization, it takes many steps to get something done and management is going through some kind of change as of summer of 2015. Meaning a lot communication issues were being raised and stability was questionable.
Pros
security, established system
Cons
communication (too many people involved in any projects)
Volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 19, 2013
I volunteer at the Howard County General Hospital in the Joint Academy Surgical unit. As a volunteer, I have learned a lot at Howard County General Hospital. I have learned how to deal with older adults who are suffering from various hardships in their life. I have seen older adults who are lonely, hallucinating, confused, angry, and feel like they are a burden. I am so glad that I got to volunteer in such a department which will help me in my future.
😞 hmmmm
medical records (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 8, 2015
I worked in the HIM department and favoritism is at an all time high! It is so obvious that what is done for a few isn't for others. It's sad because we all need jobs but when you notice this it makes you want to quit! Director is shady and claims to have an open door policy. But this isn't true at all. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, for the most part we were a team.
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Management needs to be more transparent and equal!
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 14, 2012
I worked at this facility through a temp agency. The people were exceptionally helpful and friendly. Usuallty when you enter a new workplace you feel out of place for weeks, but the women went out of their way to be helpful and welcomed. The hardest part of the job was having to learn two different ways to do one job based on the two women whose work I helped with.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
short breaks
Full time days as an adult acute care RN in a hospital
Medical/ Surgical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 8, 2014
I work as a staff and charge nurse for a 30 bed M/S acute care unit. I perform pre and post operative care as well as the daily treatments for a wide variety of diseases. I oversee the tasks of patient care technicians and assist in training newly hired nurses.
Pros
full time day work of 36 hours per week
Cons
manditory holidays and mediocre salary increases
Great Hospital
Director of Technical and Customer Services (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MarylandFebruary 9, 2015
Great Hospital in a great community. This is a community hospital and a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Our mission, "Provide the highest quality care to improve the health of our entire community through innovation, collaboration, service excellence, diversity, and a commitment to patient safety" is carried through in all that we do.
Excellent co workers, benefits and environment
Mailroom Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 21, 2013
Co-workers are willing to help when if you need it. The hours are perfect.While delivering the mail, I meet various people of ages and race. I have learned how to use my time in a more productive fashion.
Pros
i'm mobile and have the ability to move about, meeting new people
Cons
walking in the elements on occassion to deliver the mail.
I loved the Patients!
Patient Care Technician, Nursing (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 7, 2013
Daily assignments; Vital Signs; Blood draws; EKG's; transfer and ambulation of patients; Collection of specimens; report to R.N.'s. Too much cultural angst! I just like to do my job well and be compensated for doing it well.
Pros
i enjoyed working with co-workers and patients who appreciated me.
Cons
too much discrimination!