Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Nice people, poor working environment, management issues
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nursing AdministrationMarch 14, 2016
A typical day would include answering busy phones, attend meetings, take and transcribe minutes, manage my supervisor's calendar, always making sure she is not double booked and on time to meetings. Staffing for the hospital is part of my position if the regular staffing person is not there. This gives you an overview of how each unit operates.

I am responsible for Nursing Policies and Procedures, uploading them to the Hospital Portal so that Clinical people can relay to them as necessary.

Very busy office with a variety of tasks.
Always changing with lots of turn over
Outpatient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 6, 2016
More people are needed to do the job. We are always short staffed. It could be a great place to work if they cared more about employees. The hardest part of the job is the employee moral. I love my job though because I get to help take care of people.
Pros
Perscription discount
Cons
Overloaded
Great place to work. Just looking for a change.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 7, 2016
Nice People and Management; great benefits; just looking for a new challenge.

I have worked here for 11 years so it hasn't been a bad place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits; nice people
Cons
evaluations and raises are not consistent
Productive and nice place to work
HIM Indexer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 27, 2015
Everyday is never a dull moment. I enjoy working with my coworkers as we continue to learn the EMR system. The hardest part of my job is not be able to utilize all of my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the Doctors, patients, coworkers and ancillary departments in any way I can.

Management(Director) is the worst. She is unfair and shows favoritism- and it's obvious. If she has it out for you she does not hide it until she gets before HR and she will make them think you are worst employee. Anyway she can capitalize on errors or mistakes she does.
Pros
free parking and nice people to work with
Cons
Working in a closed area-no windows
excellend
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2016
I loved working for the Hospital. I was extremely good at my jobs and was a go-to person in many different departments. I was flexible with them and the were flexible with me. I only left because of compensation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
compensation.
A great place to work, a very professional workplace.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 20, 2016
Johns Hopkins Medicine at its best! I enjoy being part of this team.
The culture is one of professionalism and caring put together. The community is happy to have HCGH as its community hospital.
Pros
competitive pay
😞 hmmmm
medical records (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 8, 2015
I worked in the HIM department and favoritism is at an all time high! It is so obvious that what is done for a few isn't for others. It's sad because we all need jobs but when you notice this it makes you want to quit! Director is shady and claims to have an open door policy. But this isn't true at all. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, for the most part we were a team.
Pros
Office setting
Cons
Management needs to be more transparent and equal!
NUrsing Technician 2
Nursing Technician II/Lead technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 24, 2016
*Making work assignments for the Technicians
*How to be a team player
*Was helpful and supportive
*Corporative
*Retiring
*Bathing patients
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Shortbreaks
Good Place to Work
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to come to work everyday on time and do what I am suppose to do and leave unless I am working overtime which I do a lot!

You can learn a lot working at a hospital or just working anywhere! I've learned how to deal with people emotions the most because being in a hospital is not really a good thing...So at times you have people that come in who is visiting a family member, or may be a patient there and a lot of them are not in happy moods and they tend to take it out on everyone, so that's something I have learned to deal with.

Management are GREAT!

My co-workers feel like family! We all work very well together and always get along to get the job done!

I don't think anything at my job is hard for me at all!

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help one another everyday, whether its a patient or one of my co-workers etc...
Pros
Free Lunch, Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Need to open more positions, short breaks
Great place to work if you're looking for late night shifts
Patient Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 2, 2015
Attractive benefit packages and nice corporate environment.
But because it is such a big organization, it takes many steps to get something done and management is going through some kind of change as of summer of 2015. Meaning a lot communication issues were being raised and stability was questionable.
Pros
security, established system
Cons
communication (too many people involved in any projects)
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 16, 2016
HCGH is a great place to work. Great teamwork and management. It's great to work with such a diverse group of people.
great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 28, 2016
compassionate and well experience staff. excellent team work among staff. great place to work when going to nursing school. Each staff
Everyone gets along, we are a close unit and we also incentives that allows us to vote for the best employee of the month or Superstar of the month
Patient Clerical Assistance (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 6, 2015
I have worked for Howard County General Hospital for a year, so far there isn't any complaints from me. When I was hired to work in the Orthopedics Department, everyone was fairly new with the exception of maybe four or five employees. Even my manager was new to the
department.

At the time we were all learning and getting to know each other, our manager came up with a good idea for colleagues to vote for the best employee and they will become the Superstar of the month, with their pictures taken and a gift card.

Working there a year has been a good year so far.
Pros
Get to put your own schedule in and choose which day you want off work, discount at the gift shop and cafeteria
Cons
Short lunch breaks, my current position you can't grow your skills, it's difficult to move forward with other positions that you are qualified for and interested in
Teamwork
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia HospitalAugust 10, 2015
Outstanding company to work for. All staff members uphold and value the company's missions and values. Uniform policy is awesome as well. Flexible scheduling. Teamwork is awesome.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Shortage of supplies at times
This is a nice place to work. Fun staff.
Operating room RN, staff, (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MdAugust 26, 2015
This is a very nice place to work. An enjoyable work environment. The call is more than I would like to take, surgery gets very busy here.
Great people in the hospital
Chart Analyst and file clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2015
This hospital has a lot of work for its' employees. I would put inpatient charts together and flag the doctors for missing reports. I put a lot of charts together in the time I was there.
The management in the HIM dept was ok. Some managers played favorites with the employees, which is something I didn't appreciate.
The hardest part of the job was filing all those papers away in charts. I was also a file clerk before I was a chart analyst there.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers. I got along with everyone there.
Pros
Good cafeteria food, great coworkers, nice maternity ward, parking lot was nice and free
Cons
pay for my jobs was not great, CEO was a nice guy
Qwest Anyone
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2015
There is absolutely nothing I could say wrong. This by far was one of the best jobs I was ever given the opportunity to work at. Due to a company buy-out, we were laid off. It was so heart breaking, but I learned so much from my Director. The staff there were WONDERFUL. I wouldn't change a thing. I definitely had great times there.
challenges
Junior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 24, 2015
I'm motivated with the task I receive each day at work and the positive remarks i get from fellow employees. Also occasional dinner or lunch during christmas or thanksgiving make the employee's feel as one big family.
Pros
fellow employee motivation
Cons
No employee motivation
Productive fun work place
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MarylandMay 23, 2015
This is a very fun productive job. It does get pretty hectic with the patients at time. We all work together as a team.I have learned nurse protocols and their duties and how they care for their patients.
Great Hospital
Director of Technical and Customer Services (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MarylandFebruary 9, 2015
Great Hospital in a great community. This is a community hospital and a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Our mission, "Provide the highest quality care to improve the health of our entire community through innovation, collaboration, service excellence, diversity, and a commitment to patient safety" is carried through in all that we do.