Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employer Reviews

Great leaning atmosphere
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville TNNovember 13, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: management self preservation
One of the best companies to work for if your selected, University leaning environment,Prestigious professors that mentor.
It was a great company to work for years ago but new management has hurt it. Does not carry about employee's
PROCUREMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahOctober 30, 2014
I did ordering, filing, customer service, AP issues. Most of the co-works were good to work with but some had their moments. The management in the last tow years really went Corp. and not caring about the employee
Treated with respect.
Graphic Artist (Computer Analyst I) (Former Employee), Albany, NYJune 11, 2014
Pros: always up-to-date with both hardware and software.
Cons: none.
I always considered this my dream job. Excellent organization to work for with outstanding benefits and rapid salary increases. Since this position was with a research lab, the intellectual environment was initially intimidating; however, all researchers and post-docs treated me with the utmost respect and were keenly interested in my input.
Research Technician I
Research Technician (Current Employee), Stanford, CAMay 13, 2014
Howard Hughes is a great company to work for offering great benefits and competitive compensation. They also offer opportunity for career advancement and learning
Great Undergraduate experience
Summer Science Instructor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2014
This was an internship funded by HHMI known as the "Experience Research for Teaching Science progam." If you are a student planning on being a science instructor at any level this program is great.

The program consists of an eight week program, during the summer, in which you will work on a research project under a mentor-professor at your university. – more... During this time you will also observe a two week summer science camp for incoming 8th graders taught by the preceding year's "Fellows." At the end of the summer you must present your research in a poster seminar. The following spring you will take a required class that emphasizes the importance and technique of inquiry based teaching in science. The following summer you will then teach the, before mentioned, summer science camp. – less
Perfect College Job
RESEARCH FELLOW (Former Employee), Lubbock, TxJanuary 22, 2014
Great college job that allows you to build your resume for medical school, dental school, or any graduate program while earning a fair wage and providing curriculum based work.
Excellent Enviornment
A/P Lead (Former Employee), BethesdaNovember 18, 2013
Pros: excellent cafeteria
Aesthetically stunning! Excellent team oriented environment....this place a lake on its grounds...it's beautiful.
Looking for something new and challenging
Region Fiscal Manager (Current Employee), Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 21, 2013
Learned about budget managing. The best part of the job was the co-workers.
HHMI San Diego
Executive Administrative Assistant/Event Planner (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAAugust 21, 2013
This is a great institution to work for. The pay and benefits are outstanding. But if you make a misteak the HR lady is a BI@%*, watch out.
Great place to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 19, 2013
While working for HHMI, I received exemplary training in multiple laboratory procedures. It was a very positive learning and work environment.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is an extraordinary place to work.
Research Specialist/Lab manager (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAAugust 2, 2013
I was a graduate student in a Howard Hughes Medical Institute laboratory. It was an amazing experience. Science at HHMI is the best, cutting edge work. It was a privilege to work there.
Very intensive research
Research Technician II (Former Employee), San Diego, CA, USAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: learned a lot of new things
Cons: sometimes work got extremely stressful
First I joined Yale Medical School department (medical and molecular medicine). Then the laboratory moved to California, San Diego (UCSD, department of cellular and molecular medicine). I was partially responsible for the move and gain a lot of experience in performing inventory.

Duties:
▪ Research
▪ Laboratory maintenance and safety
▪ Purchasing equipment, – more... ordering and keeping track of supplies (office supplies and chemicals)
▪ Maintaining inventory
▪ Maintaining bacterial and yeast library using FileMaker software
▪ Scheduling equipment repair
▪ Providing primary support to the professor and laboratory members (mail, e-mail, calendars, reports, filing, travel arrangements)

It was very intensive, fast-paced work environment, in which I learned to prioritise my daily tasks and maintain a daily operation of large research laboratory – less
Collegiate environment, very demanding but rewarding
Network Engineer (Former Employee), Chevy Chase, MDJune 13, 2013
Pros: free benefits, low cost lunches, free gym. flexible hours, telecommuted one day a week
Cons: having a large it group, projects were not spaced out appropriately
Mainly responsible for the exchange and archive environments and performed ad hoc server maintenance as needed.
I went from a helpdesk support person to a network engineer over the 12 years I was there. I learned all about exchange and servers, building computers and networking. Direct manager was great at moving me along to higher positions and had – more... confidence in my eagerness to learn and succeed. Worked with a large IT group and worked well with all of them. Very difficult to leave. – less
Great
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MOJune 5, 2013
Collaborative between HHMI and University of Missouri-Columbia. A wonderful initiative.
Productive place to work
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 26, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks, health, 401k
completing invoices and handling vendors
learning everything about my job as well as others job
being a team player
Great place to work with awesome benefits!
Research Technician III (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 11, 2012
Pros: benefits!
Cons: i honestly can't think of anything...
HHMI has the BEST BENEFITS EVER, seriously, they pay 100% of everything, nothing taken out of your pay for insurance, for you and your entire family, free. Golden handcuffs though, no one wants to leave because the benefits are so good, it's hard to move on and find another job that will pay enough to compensate for the benefits. Also has basically – more... unlimited sick leave and holiday pay that continuously accrues and rolls over every year, no use it or lose it. For a typical day, depends on your job, all labs/jobs are different; depends on which one you are in and what kind of lab it is. – less
Progressive organization with a noble mission.
Project Leader (Current Employee), Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 19, 2012
Challenging environment. The IT department is full of talented professionals who do a great job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling that we can contribute to the company's mission of promoting science and science eduation.
Great scientific work environment!!
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 2, 2012
Pros: being a part of a scientific community
A great organization to work for and to meet people from so many diverse backgrounds and cultures. Howard Hughes Medical Institutes are a part of many major campus' in the USA and abroad.
Elitist place to waste your career in.
Former IT staffer (Former Employee), Chevy Chase, MD.May 10, 2012
Cons: see review listed below.
Indeed.com asks that during a review that one of the questions suggested is "What you learned..." while working at this 'company'. Unfortunately, for those who aren't recognized as a member of the 'academic' community, you will be subjected to the worst type of 'ism' that there is. A collection of people who act like they are the smartest people in – more... the room.
A clique by any other name IS The Howard Hughes Medical Institute. – less
Very nice learning experience
Student Research Scientist (Former Employee), Denton, TexasFebruary 20, 2012
I learned a lot of techniques and improved my research skills. I loved the teamwork part of it and the challenge during the experiments. I enhance my ability to improve the patience.