Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews

Great people
Research Administrator II (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Amazing benefits
Cons: Lack of development
Primarily sedentary, at computer all day.
Learned to bridge the gap between 3 organizations.
Wonderful co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was that there was absolutely no training whatsoever.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my lab members.
Rewarding working experience
Laboratory Manager, Picower Institute (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 15, 2015
Rewarding working experience for one of the best Medical Institutes in the world. Excellent pay and benefits. Wonderfull opportunity to work with the most gifted scientists in the field.
Great place to work. Great area.
Research Specialist III (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 15, 2015
I started here as an American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Research Associate where I directed several projects in the ubiquitin conjugation pathway to successful papers. During that time I learned to efficiently design and execute experimental plans to further my understanding of this system. I also gained significant experience in training and supervising undergraduate research technicians. Because of my early success I was eventually promoted to a Research Specialist III position within the lab. Now I supervise a large group consisting of undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral researchers whose aim is to study the Cullin-RING ubiquitin ligase protein family.
Productive and educational experience
Researcher at Purdue University (Current Employee), Purdue UniversityFebruary 1, 2015
This was a summer internship at Purdue University.I had the opportunity to carry-out my own research project under the direction of a professor. I learned a lot about doing research and working independently.
Great leaning atmosphere
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville TNNovember 13, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: management self preservation
One of the best companies to work for if your selected, University leaning environment,Prestigious professors that mentor.
It was a great company to work for years ago but new management has hurt it. Does not carry about employee's
PROCUREMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahOctober 30, 2014
I did ordering, filing, customer service, AP issues. Most of the co-works were good to work with but some had their moments. The management in the last tow years really went Corp. and not caring about the employee
Treated with respect.
Graphic Artist (Computer Analyst I) (Former Employee), Albany, NYJune 11, 2014
Pros: always up-to-date with both hardware and software.
Cons: none.
I always considered this my dream job. Excellent organization to work for with outstanding benefits and rapid salary increases. Since this position was with a research lab, the intellectual environment was initially intimidating; however, all researchers and post-docs treated me with the utmost respect and were keenly interested in my input.
Research Technician I
Research Technician (Current Employee), Stanford, CAMay 13, 2014
Howard Hughes is a great company to work for offering great benefits and competitive compensation. They also offer opportunity for career advancement and learning
Great Undergraduate experience
Summer Science Instructor (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2014
This was an internship funded by HHMI known as the "Experience Research for Teaching Science progam." If you are a student planning on being a science instructor at any level this program is great.

The program consists of an eight week program, during the summer, in which you will work on a research project under a mentor-professor at your university. During this time you will also observe a two week summer science camp for incoming 8th graders taught by the preceding year's "Fellows." At the end of the summer you must present your research in a poster seminar. The following spring you will take a required class that emphasizes the importance and technique of inquiry based teaching in science. The following summer you will then teach the, before mentioned, summer science camp.
Perfect College Job
RESEARCH FELLOW (Former Employee), Lubbock, TxJanuary 22, 2014
Great college job that allows you to build your resume for medical school, dental school, or any graduate program while earning a fair wage and providing curriculum based work.
Excellent Enviornment
A/P Lead (Former Employee), BethesdaNovember 18, 2013
Pros: excellent cafeteria
Aesthetically stunning! Excellent team oriented environment....this place a lake on its grounds...it's beautiful.
Looking for something new and challenging
Region Fiscal Manager (Current Employee), Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 21, 2013
Learned about budget managing. The best part of the job was the co-workers.
HHMI San Diego
Executive Administrative Assistant/Event Planner (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAAugust 21, 2013
This is a great institution to work for. The pay and benefits are outstanding. But if you make a misteak the HR lady is a BI@%*, watch out.
Great place to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 19, 2013
While working for HHMI, I received exemplary training in multiple laboratory procedures. It was a very positive learning and work environment.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is an extraordinary place to work.
Research Specialist/Lab manager (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAAugust 2, 2013
I was a graduate student in a Howard Hughes Medical Institute laboratory. It was an amazing experience. Science at HHMI is the best, cutting edge work. It was a privilege to work there.
Very intensive research
Research Technician II (Former Employee), San Diego, CA, USAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: learned a lot of new things
Cons: sometimes work got extremely stressful
First I joined Yale Medical School department (medical and molecular medicine). Then the laboratory moved to California, San Diego (UCSD, department of cellular and molecular medicine). I was partially responsible for the move and gain a lot of experience in performing inventory.

Duties:
▪ Research
▪ Laboratory maintenance and safety
▪ Purchasing equipment, ordering and keeping track of supplies (office supplies and chemicals)
▪ Maintaining inventory
▪ Maintaining bacterial and yeast library using FileMaker software
▪ Scheduling equipment repair
▪ Providing primary support to the professor and laboratory members (mail, e-mail, calendars, reports, filing, travel arrangements)

It was very intensive, fast-paced work environment, in which I learned to prioritise my daily tasks and maintain a daily operation of large research laboratory
Collegiate environment, very demanding but rewarding
Network Engineer (Former Employee), Chevy Chase, MDJune 13, 2013
Pros: free benefits, low cost lunches, free gym. flexible hours, telecommuted one day a week
Cons: having a large it group, projects were not spaced out appropriately
Mainly responsible for the exchange and archive environments and performed ad hoc server maintenance as needed.
I went from a helpdesk support person to a network engineer over the 12 years I was there. I learned all about exchange and servers, building computers and networking. Direct manager was great at moving me along to higher positions and had confidence in my eagerness to learn and succeed. Worked with a large IT group and worked well with all of them. Very difficult to leave.
Great
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MOJune 5, 2013
Collaborative between HHMI and University of Missouri-Columbia. A wonderful initiative.
Productive place to work
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 26, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks, health, 401k
completing invoices and handling vendors
learning everything about my job as well as others job
being a team player
Great place to work with awesome benefits!
Research Technician III (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 11, 2012
Pros: benefits!
Cons: i honestly can't think of anything...
HHMI has the BEST BENEFITS EVER, seriously, they pay 100% of everything, nothing taken out of your pay for insurance, for you and your entire family, free. Golden handcuffs though, no one wants to leave because the benefits are so good, it's hard to move on and find another job that will pay enough to compensate for the benefits. Also has basically unlimited sick leave and holiday pay that continuously accrues and rolls over every year, no use it or lose it. For a typical day, depends on your job, all labs/jobs are different; depends on which one you are in and what kind of lab it is.