Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews

small location near home
Communication Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 14, 2017
I got all the clues wrong. I thought they would keep me because of my college degree, wrong. I am overly proud. I had not realized to that point that we are not equal but complementary. I had no idea what the management expected of me.
Great benefits but admin staff are like scared rabbits - researchers wield all the power with no checks
ADMINISTRATIVE LAB COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 21, 2017
I appreciated all of the benefits however as administrative staff at HHMI we ran around in fear of researchers - who were often pre-eminent in their field. Rather than help resolve issues that arose with literally no communication from my new PI boss, Administrative supervisors only intervened to execute the will of the all-powerful investigator. While other institutions have put checks and balances in place my boss was able to "decline" to participate in a 30-day probationary period when issues arose due to literally no communication and insist that I be terminated immediately because it was "too stressful". Because there was no real cause (just an issue with extra food at an event he held no one attended) they paid me to quietly sneak off into the night. Other friends have worked for great investigators and been very happy but there is a reason the admin staff seems a bit terrified!
Pros
Great health and dental benefits - five weeks vacation
Cons
If the professor has issues with you then you are gotten rid of with no due process
A great workplace
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDNovember 17, 2017
Great workplace
Good people and the working environment is nice. People in HHMI are nice and lovely all round the clock. Great activities from all departments.
One of the largest private foundations in the United States with a mission of supporting biomedical advancement
Fixed Income Portfolio Manager/Credit (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDOctober 26, 2017
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is a private foundation committed to the advancement of primary biomedical research. Has a large laboratory in Virginia.
Great place to work but lacks great upper management
Sr. Analyst and Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 30, 2017
Great place to work. Very laid back and relaxed. Lots of opportunities to learn. But the management looks clueless. Have no complaints about my team though.
Pros
Great place
Cons
President
Used to be a great company to work for. Now, not so much
Principal Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJuly 12, 2017
Worked in IT there for more than 10 years. Top-notch biomedical research organization. The IT dept. on the other hand, not what it used to be.

Good work/life balance. Great perks...
Pros
Cafeteria is top-notch.
Cons
Little to no room for advancement
Love the people of this company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJuly 9, 2017
When I first started at this company, I saw myself staying here long term because of the people and culture. Everyone is so friendly and fun to work with. However, it seems like this organization has changed to be more about money efficient than for their employees and research. Although it is still a great place to work, there are a lot more turnover these days.
Program Manager Advisor/Master Scheduler, Client (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJuly 4, 2017
The management are not PM savy and worked in a very chaotic manner. Often letting the vendors run the projects.

Cafeteria and grounds are both great, free health club.
this was a great job with minimum Supervision.
Lead A/P Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MD 20815June 2, 2017
I enjoyed the 26 years I worked at HHMI. The benefits were excellent and the environment was safe and secure. Having a fitness center and cafeteria was a hug perk.
Pros
Lunch was always to die for.
Cons
Management turnover afet 26 years.
Beautiful place to work - culture lacking
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDMay 12, 2017
HHMI has an odd culture. The new president is trying to fix it - but has left some poor leaders in charge of FTE heavy areas. When the leader in charge of a large group is manipulative and disingenuous - culture issues are bound to remain, it's very sad.
Pros
great pay, benefits, many nice people
Cons
they do not deal with serious leadership failures
Used to be the best place to work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDMay 11, 2017
The last few years the "leadership" has done nothing but constant unnecessary re-organizing. Used to be a place that put value in their employees and their commitment to their work and the mission. However, now there is total disregard for the human element. A huge reliance on external consultants and out-sourcing; non-stop politics and revolving door of employees. The motto used to be "People before Projects". Kind of laughable now.
good benefits and outstanding research resource
Research Scientist/Postdoc Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2017
HHMI has outstanding resource and comprehensive benefits. HHMI has a network of labs across the country. It is easy to find opportunity to collaborate. Salary is fair. Benefits are excellent.
It is a good place to work.
If you're going to be a postdoc be an HHMI postdoc if you can
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2017
Being a postdoc is difficult we all know that. HHMI at least makes it less burdensome by offering better pay and benefits than your typical academic institution.
Administrative Assistant with 12 years of experience with a high degree of efficiency.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 7, 2016
My typical day at work is very productive. I provide thorough and skillful support to two professors. Responding to emails, managing and scheduling the calendar. Prepare travel arrangements and itineraries. Assisting with preparation of grant applications and manuscripts. Ordering supplies.

I am a hard worker willing to help out in any way I can. Also my
attendance is superb.
Pros
Medical benefits and holidays off
Cons
My job is ending due to no funding for my salary. I will explain:
Productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 10, 2016
HHMI give 10 % of your salary to your retirement. Pays up to $10,000 per year towards college tuition for employees.
Lots of holiday pay 12 per year.
Pros
Plenty of vacation time, sick, and holidays
Cons
nothing
Often Fun Place to Work
Programmer (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VASeptember 29, 2016
Can be chaotic wrt requirements, but having an endowment, it is not tied to short-term grants like other scientific Not-for-Profits, making it more stable than most.

I learned about imaging technologies, microscopes and neuroscience to some extent.

I got to work with folks ranging from young Programmers to PhDs in bio sciences.

Nice campus.
Pros
Good work/life
Cons
Limited salary compared to industry
Great benefits, but salary is not impacted by cost of living
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94158August 10, 2016
HHMI provides great benefits as the largest nonprofit medical research institution in the world. Your passion is the greatest reward.
Pros
Great healthcare and access to academic leaders.
Cons
Pay does not reflect cost of living.
Good Place to Work
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 20, 2016
It is a positive and supportive work environment. One can build and grow a career here if you are aligned with the right manager.
Excellent Management
Research Technician III (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 29, 2016
My time with HHMI allowed me to grow in my career and they fully supported me when health problems emerged. Great staff, benefits and growth opportunities.
great place to work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 12, 2015
I loved working here. great vibe, loved working with kids and teaching new science techniques. there were no cons to this job in my opinion I loved my co-workers very supportive team