Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews

Excellent Management
Research Technician III (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 29, 2016
My time with HHMI allowed me to grow in my career and they fully supported me when health problems emerged. Great staff, benefits and growth opportunities.
Great benefits
Senior Desktop Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 7, 2015
Great benefits
Very nice campus
Co-workers are helpful
Free garage parking which is very nice around DC
Not much upward mobility
A lot of change in upper management during the fall of 2015.
Productive and fun workplace.
File Clerk/I-9 Audits (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 5, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive and productive management. The most enjoyable part was working alongside my colleagues and personally I learn so much from them.
Pros
It has its own cafeteria
Fellowship opportunity
Post Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2015
HHMI provides valuable resources to both new and experiences scientists to promote scientific progress and discovery. I am honored to have been a recipient of their generosity.
Great Place to work. learnt a lots from this University
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2015
the lab is a great lab.
a lots of work that kept me busy.
the work were quite challenging.
good relationship with co-workers. most of them are nice Post Doctors. they are polite and considerate
Pros
Great Place to work. learnt a lots from this University
Cons
I have to leave for Oklahoma for the family reason
Great people
Research Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 4, 2015
Primarily sedentary, at computer all day.
Learned to bridge the gap between 3 organizations.
Wonderful co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was that there was absolutely no training whatsoever.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my lab members.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Lack of development
Rewarding working experience
Laboratory Manager, Picower Institute (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 15, 2015
Rewarding working experience for one of the best Medical Institutes in the world. Excellent pay and benefits. Wonderfull opportunity to work with the most gifted scientists in the field.
Great place to work. Great area.
Research Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 15, 2015
I started here as an American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Research Associate where I directed several projects in the ubiquitin conjugation pathway to successful papers. During that time I learned to efficiently design and execute experimental plans to further my understanding of this system. I also gained significant experience in training and supervising undergraduate research technicians. Because of my early success I was eventually promoted to a Research Specialist III position within the lab. Now I supervise a large group consisting of undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral researchers whose aim is to study the Cullin-RING ubiquitin ligase protein family.
Productive and educational experience
Researcher at Purdue University (Current Employee) –  Purdue UniversityFebruary 1, 2015
This was a summer internship at Purdue University.I had the opportunity to carry-out my own research project under the direction of a professor. I learned a lot about doing research and working independently.
Great leaning atmosphere
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNNovember 13, 2014
One of the best companies to work for if your selected, University leaning environment,Prestigious professors that mentor.
Pros
benifits
Cons
management self preservation
It was a great company to work for years ago but new management has hurt it. Does not carry about employee's
PROCUREMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahOctober 30, 2014
I did ordering, filing, customer service, AP issues. Most of the co-works were good to work with but some had their moments. The management in the last tow years really went Corp. and not caring about the employee
Treated with respect.
Graphic Artist (Computer Analyst I) (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 11, 2014
I always considered this my dream job. Excellent organization to work for with outstanding benefits and rapid salary increases. Since this position was with a research lab, the intellectual environment was initially intimidating; however, all researchers and post-docs treated me with the utmost respect and were keenly interested in my input.
Pros
always up-to-date with both hardware and software.
Cons
none.
Research Technician I
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 13, 2014
Howard Hughes is a great company to work for offering great benefits and competitive compensation. They also offer opportunity for career advancement and learning
Great Undergraduate experience
Summer Science Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 4, 2014
This was an internship funded by HHMI known as the "Experience Research for Teaching Science progam." If you are a student planning on being a science instructor at any level this program is great.

The program consists of an eight week program, during the summer, in which you will work on a research project under a mentor-professor at your university. During this time you will also observe a two week summer science camp for incoming 8th graders taught by the preceding year's "Fellows." At the end of the summer you must present your research in a poster seminar. The following spring you will take a required class that emphasizes the importance and technique of inquiry based teaching in science. The following summer you will then teach the, before mentioned, summer science camp.
Perfect College Job
RESEARCH FELLOW (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TxJanuary 22, 2014
Great college job that allows you to build your resume for medical school, dental school, or any graduate program while earning a fair wage and providing curriculum based work.
Excellent Enviornment
A/P Lead (Former Employee) –  BethesdaNovember 18, 2013
Aesthetically stunning! Excellent team oriented environment....this place a lake on its grounds...it's beautiful.
Pros
excellent cafeteria
Looking for something new and challenging
Region Fiscal Manager (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 21, 2013
Learned about budget managing. The best part of the job was the co-workers.
HHMI San Diego
Executive Administrative Assistant/Event Planner (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAAugust 21, 2013
This is a great institution to work for. The pay and benefits are outstanding. But if you make a misteak the HR lady is a BI@%*, watch out.
Great place to gain experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 19, 2013
While working for HHMI, I received exemplary training in multiple laboratory procedures. It was a very positive learning and work environment.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is an extraordinary place to work.
Research Specialist/Lab manager (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAAugust 2, 2013
I was a graduate student in a Howard Hughes Medical Institute laboratory. It was an amazing experience. Science at HHMI is the best, cutting edge work. It was a privilege to work there.

4.3