Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to Work
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 20, 2016
It is a positive and supportive work environment. One can build and grow a career here if you are aligned with the right manager.
Excellent Management
Research Technician III (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 29, 2016
My time with HHMI allowed me to grow in my career and they fully supported me when health problems emerged. Great staff, benefits and growth opportunities.
Productive and fun workplace.
File Clerk/I-9 Audits (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 5, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive and productive management. The most enjoyable part was working alongside my colleagues and personally I learn so much from them.
Pros
It has its own cafeteria
Great benefits
Senior Desktop Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 7, 2015
Great benefits
Very nice campus
Co-workers are helpful
Free garage parking which is very nice around DC
Not much upward mobility
A lot of change in upper management during the fall of 2015.
Great Place to work. learnt a lots from this University
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2015
the lab is a great lab.
a lots of work that kept me busy.
the work were quite challenging.
good relationship with co-workers. most of them are nice Post Doctors. they are polite and considerate
Pros
Great Place to work. learnt a lots from this University
Cons
I have to leave for Oklahoma for the family reason
great place to work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 12, 2015
I loved working here. great vibe, loved working with kids and teaching new science techniques. there were no cons to this job in my opinion I loved my co-workers very supportive team
Fellowship opportunity
Post Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2015
HHMI provides valuable resources to both new and experiences scientists to promote scientific progress and discovery. I am honored to have been a recipient of their generosity.
Great people
Research Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 4, 2015
Primarily sedentary, at computer all day.
Learned to bridge the gap between 3 organizations.
Wonderful co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was that there was absolutely no training whatsoever.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my lab members.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Lack of development
Great place to work. Great area.
Research Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 15, 2015
I started here as an American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Research Associate where I directed several projects in the ubiquitin conjugation pathway to successful papers. During that time I learned to efficiently design and execute experimental plans to further my understanding of this system. I also gained significant experience in training and supervising undergraduate research technicians. Because of my early success I was eventually promoted to a Research Specialist III position within the lab. Now I supervise a large group consisting of undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral researchers whose aim is to study the Cullin-RING ubiquitin ligase protein family.
Excellent organization due to the mission of the science.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 29, 2015
The organization was an excellent organization to work for. Working with a team to provide excellent customer service and procurement of all the needs to support the laboratories' science was a very rewarding position to be in.
Pros
Was an excellent organization to work for.
Cons
They lost touch of the importance of the people and focused on the bottomline only.
Productive and fun place to work
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJuly 10, 2015
Very enjoyable place to work, the flexibility to work how and when you want is very nice. Very nice community feel as there is a lot of independent and collaboration going on across multiple labs
Comparable to academic lab position
Research Technologist II/III (Former Employee) –  UWMarch 25, 2015
The pros: You get to work with remarkably talented scientists. The administrative support staff has always been top notch. The funding pressures are less, and the resources are generous. The cons: The pay is the same as in an academic environment.
Pros
Talented scientists
Cons
Pay same as an academic position. no flexibility for advancement. Once a tech always a tech.
Rewarding working experience
Laboratory Manager, Picower Institute (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 15, 2015
Rewarding working experience for one of the best Medical Institutes in the world. Excellent pay and benefits. Wonderfull opportunity to work with the most gifted scientists in the field.
Treated with respect.
Graphic Artist (Computer Analyst I) (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 11, 2014
I always considered this my dream job. Excellent organization to work for with outstanding benefits and rapid salary increases. Since this position was with a research lab, the intellectual environment was initially intimidating; however, all researchers and post-docs treated me with the utmost respect and were keenly interested in my input.
Pros
always up-to-date with both hardware and software.
Cons
none.
Productive and educational experience
Researcher at Purdue University (Current Employee) –  Purdue UniversityFebruary 1, 2015
This was a summer internship at Purdue University.I had the opportunity to carry-out my own research project under the direction of a professor. I learned a lot about doing research and working independently.
non-profit, philanthropic organization inspiring to work for; compensates well
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJNovember 10, 2014
Being a faculty assistant to professors entails great responsiblity and efficiency. You are invloved in their every task and there are many important ones. Meeting others' deadlines are harder than meeting your own and you come to be proud of meeting the challenge. You exist on an academic calendar. The setting/grounds is unbeatable. Being exposed to all the aspects of how a lab operates in a university is very interesting for many reasons...how members and students learn and research and move on, being surrounded by brilliant people, the diversity of professors and students; the goal of the university. All very inspiring, knowing that the university is producing well educated indiduals that will go on to better our society.
Pros
surrounded by brilliant and diverse people in a beautiful campus environemnt
Collegiate environment, very demanding but rewarding
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 13, 2013
Mainly responsible for the exchange and archive environments and performed ad hoc server maintenance as needed.
I went from a helpdesk support person to a network engineer over the 12 years I was there. I learned all about exchange and servers, building computers and networking. Direct manager was great at moving me along to higher positions and had confidence in my eagerness to learn and succeed. Worked with a large IT group and worked well with all of them. Very difficult to leave.
Pros
free benefits, low cost lunches, free gym. flexible hours, telecommuted one day a week
Cons
having a large it group, projects were not spaced out appropriately
Elitist place to waste your career in.
Former IT staffer (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MD.May 10, 2012
Indeed.com asks that during a review that one of the questions suggested is "What you learned..." while working at this 'company'. Unfortunately, for those who aren't recognized as a member of the 'academic' community, you will be subjected to the worst type of 'ism' that there is. A collection of people who act like they are the smartest people in the room.
A clique by any other name IS The Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Cons
see review listed below.
Great place to work with awesome benefits!
Research Technician III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 11, 2012
HHMI has the BEST BENEFITS EVER, seriously, they pay 100% of everything, nothing taken out of your pay for insurance, for you and your entire family, free. Golden handcuffs though, no one wants to leave because the benefits are so good, it's hard to move on and find another job that will pay enough to compensate for the benefits. Also has basically unlimited sick leave and holiday pay that continuously accrues and rolls over every year, no use it or lose it. For a typical day, depends on your job, all labs/jobs are different; depends on which one you are in and what kind of lab it is.
Pros
benefits!
Cons
i honestly can't think of anything...
Fascinating - Molecular Science
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 1, 2012
Working for a molecular biologist was very fascinating. Having the opportunity to visit the labs and have the equipment explained to me was most interesting. It was unfortunate that the pay was so low I could only work this position a short time as I would have stayed for years otherwise. Being able to witness all the work & international seminars Dr. Scott spoke at was really fascinating. Wasn't a typical job at all. I really enjoyed it. And the people there were very friendly too. They even held a birthday party for me!
Pros
facinating inside peek into working science
Cons
very low salary so i couldn't afford to stay on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4