HOWARD UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

HOWARD UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL Employer Reviews

Patient Access Associate
Patient Access Associate in Emergency Room (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: tuition remission benefits
Cons: poor management
The most difficult part of this position stemmed from poor management and staff shortages and high employee turnovers. The employee accountability was unequal, staff input was not taken into account or valued.

There was a high turnover in co-workers, but also in in management.

It was not, however, a position without rewards. As a trauma 1 hospital, – more... I learned more than I could have imagined in terms of medical treatment, terminology and diagnosis, triage procedures, as well as managing family and/or patients who were in "crisis" mode.

The professional exposure to various agencies members also allowed me to, once again, interconnections of emergency staff agencies - EMS, Police, MD's etc.

This was a great platform and introduction into hospital culture. – less
certified medical asssistanrt
certified medical assistant (Current Employee), washington DCAugust 27, 2014
great learning experience learned a great deal from the physcains
fun workplace
Medical - Flow Tech (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 11, 2014
Pros: learning new things
Cons: management
A day at howard is very productive and busy i enjoyed it i learned alot of new things that will advance me in my carrer the co workers were fun easy to get along with learning the system here was a little tricky but I am a fast learner.
Professional environment where I have obtained new skills daily.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
A typical day at the office starts at 8:30 am, where the patients come in get registered, have their vital signs taken, state reason for visit, get set up in exam rooms for procedures that will be performed by the physician that day. Once the patient is finished with physician the are directed back to the front desk where they schedule their next appointment – more... and sign out. After patient leaves exam room, I go in and sterilize the exam tables and countertops, disposing the used linen inside the laundry basket to get washed and I then prepare room for the next patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is making sure that all patients have been assisted and that all their better health needs have been met. – less
Diverse
Executive Assistant to the Controller (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours.
Cons: not sensitive to family issues.
High turnovers. Management constantly changing. Insufficient training. Delayed technologies.
Hard working staff embracing change.
Hospital Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 2, 2014
Howard University Hospital has a great team who is trying to make a difference in healthcare,
Established and maintained effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
hospital attendant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 30, 2014
Residency program diverse, but still developing and growing
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Resident (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 18, 2014
Pros: lost of room for individual structuring for personalized experience
Cons: minimal clinical staff employed by hospital, most are employees of the college
awesome experience and under great guidance, a great way to start career on an entry level
Productive, intensed and caring
manage direct and lead (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 7, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: when i can not make a difference.
Registering greeting patient preparing documents.
Assiting medical staff.
What it means to care for the ill on the daily basis.
Trouble shooting management of my daily duties in an highly intensed ECA.
My co-workers and I work as a team.
Watching someone suffer due to there illness.
Having a patient overwelmed with joyed from the care I provided.
Learn alot
Medical Assistant/Patient Service Representative (Current Employee), OverallWashington DCMay 12, 2014
Pros: patients
Cons: management
Overall Howard University Hospital taught me a lot and i would recommend anyone that wants to learn new things to go there.
Fast-pace Enviroment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 8, 2014
Pros: metro accessible, weekends off
Cons: no job advancement available
I enjoy working at Howard University Hospital. The patients make the job a joy. I have learned a lot about various procedures and different illnesses and how they are treated.
This place kills its patients and employees
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 4, 2014
Working their will definitely shave years off of your life. Poor Leadership... a living case study of a disfunctional organization.
Very interesting learning experience
Pediatric Medical/ Office Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2014
Pros: patients were great
The doctor was older and did things different from what we were taught in school
Management was under transition
Administrative Assistant(Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
Pros: i was a temp
Cons: no real leadership
Could a been a pleasant experience if it wasn't for the restructuring that was taking place while I employed via a temporary assignment
Clinical Systems Manager
Clinical System Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 9, 2014
Pros: professionalism, productivity, and commitment of the it clinical team
Cons: no opportunity for advancement
Project-Managed and coordinated implementation, design, and maintenance of clinical information systems used to improve clinical operations. Coordinated projects with Information Technology, clinical units, and vendors in order to ensure effective integration of clinical systems with other enterprise and department applications., Analyzed and benchmarked – more... performance results to assist in quality improvement and feedback reporting to ensure the highest level of system performance, integrity, and reliability. Managed the IT Clinical Team consisting of Clinical Informatics Specialists, Systems Analysts/Programmers, and Network Analysts – less
A work place that focuses on a patient care with huge financial difficulties
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: your working hours is up before you notice it
Cons: as you always engaged with new challenges you may not have a break at all
Howard University Hospital is an interesting place where you learn a lot of things about medical fields, especially with the demographics it services who have a challenge health situation. This hospital service a minority group who have genetic diseases such as sickle cell and poverty related illness such as diabetic type2, TB, HIV aids and the likes. – more... These phenomenon gives you a wonderful experience to practice laboratory science.
My coworkers are helpful with a great sense of humor – less
Slow paced and friendly environment.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.January 31, 2014
Typically, I answered phones and made myself available to complete whatever tasks my boss gave me to do. I learned how to be assertive and furthered my knowledge in how to best communicate with others. My co-workers were friendly yet focused on their specific tasks. The hardest part of the job was being firm but I learned firmness is a necessary skill – more... to have. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to speak to some of the doctors in Howard Hospital; they were positive examples. – less
Productive workplace
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: 30% discount in the cafeteria
It's always an interesting day at Howard University Hospital, whether you are helping a patient get through their day easier or just to be there for support for others, but at the end of the day you will definitely feel like you've accomplished something.
Receptionist
Medical Assistant and Receptionist (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 31, 2013
I come to work everyday early and ready to work. Eager to get the days task done and completed.
Excellent learning experience, after working here as an RN you can work anywhere.
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 20, 2013
There were no typical days at Howard University Hospital. Every day brought new experiences, different cases and plans of care. Being a teaching hospital, nurses were responsible for working closely with new doctors teaching them and learning from senior doctors as well. The management changed often and lacked the necessary insight that direct patient – more... care personnel possessed for improvement in patient care and staffing. Most of my co-workers are amazing hardworking individuals. Though we all possess our own beliefs and style of patient care, the patient came first for most. Unfortunately every work place seems to have the few employees that lack team work and dedication which served as a challenge and area for leadership an ultimately growth for those who did. The hardest part of the job was assuring patient diagnosis' and treatment in a timely manner. Poor communication between departments and unnecessary delays due to human error and lack of accountability played a huge role in this unfortunate situation. This did encourage nurses to team up and help one another get their patients to and from the necessary areas for diagnostics and assure patient care for the rest of their patients on the unit. Unfortunately nurses were extremely over worked and did not have the time necessary to accomplish as much as hoped nor take a minute for themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job was the appreciation, growth and improvements of our patients. Nothing could make the challenges of this job worth it more than the positive affect we had on the lives of our patients and their families. – less

1 2 3 4