Howard University Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Trust worthy, on time, loves working
Gross Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2016
I come into work at 830 am. I get things set up for the doctors so they can begin working at 930 am. I've learned patience and a lot about health care and things I see here at work that help me or any one in their every day life. My management team here is great and my co-workers are as well I get along with everybody. The hardest part of my job is seeing death of young people because I work in the field of pathology. The most enjoyable part of the job is, getting the results of a patient who doesn't have cancer and letting them know about it.
Pros
Hour lunch break, have my own freedom, seeing something new daily.
Cons
Taking the metro to work daily, so I have to be at the metro's mercy if something happens, but if i drive it is to much traffic so I would have to leave earlier.
Gained a lot of experience
P.A Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2016
Attended rounds with surgeon and scrub nurses, stood in on various bariatric and gynecology prodecures.
The hardest part was having to find the energy to keep pushing from 5am-12pm at the hospital, then 1pm-5pm in class, and 5pm-9pm at work 5 days a week while staying on top of my studies.
Cons
Unpaid internship
Wonderful employers
Program Coordinator/Cardiac Rehabilitation RN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2016
I loved working at Howard University Hospital. Awesome doctors and management. My position was important to physicians and management. My work was recognized by all.
Pros
Cons
Travel time to and from work
productive work place
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2016
serving the community is the main objective. hardest part is dealing with the management only due to the revolving door that is management. I enjoy the people and the ever changing work environment.
Cons
consistant changes
Medical technologiest /Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2016
It is a nice place to work, fair management and good relation ship with co-workers. A typical day at work is normal and routine.
Nice Culture
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2016
Typical day includes preparing all hospital and unit information for the day. I learned how to support a large number of people in the most effective way.
Love my co-workers
Patient Services Rep. II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2016
Daily Office duties with minimal supervision. Learn how to deal with daily office problems. Co-workers are nice to work with. The hardest part of my job was not making the patients happy. The most enjoyable part was seeing the newborn babies and making the patients smile.
Pros
GREAT CO-WORKERS!!!
Cons
Parking
Productive and fun place to work.
Procedure support technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2016
I work in a busy department which is the operating room and it keep me on my feet and keep me occupied. I learn the different aspect of the operating room and I get the chance to see different cases. I'm not able to take apart in the cases but i get to watch what the surgeons operate. In my department we doesn't have permanent manager but the contract manager do her best to keep the department up and running. My co-worker are like family, sometimes we don't get alone (but this happen wherever i go) but if someone in trouble we all help out each other. The hardest part of my job is when,we ran out of supplies or someone call out of work because it make it harder for other co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is when everyone get alone and the work go smooth.
Pros
We always having party for everyone who have a birthday.
Cons
We short of staff because we don't get a lot of cases.
ok workplace
Supervisor, Third Party Receivables (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2016
My typical day at work is very stressful.
I have learned how use various system
There are some management that hard to deal with .
My coworker need to love each other
The hardest part of my job is the day to day issue with staffing
The most enjoyable part of the job is I have one
Pros
enjoy the lunch menu
Cons
no raise
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work consists of being in touch with hospital's executives and external vendors , trying to get in touch with Chief Financial Officer. Besides taking care of the Chief Financial Officer, i make sure the division of finance runs smoothly. Working at Howard University Hospital gave me the ability to work under pressure and adapt to any situation.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No Room for Professional Growth

Want to know more about Howard University Hospital?

Ask a question
Just ok
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 29, 2016
Has its ups and downs. Lots of change in management. CEO has changed several times in the past few years. Salaries are either too high or too low,
UNorganized Mess
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2016
My friend/co-worker advised me about working for this company. She told me stories about her experiences. I needed a new job because of my old one. After she assisted me into the company I learned pretty quickly about this company and its all negative... the dept I work in are way friendly its just the management who aren't educated all and it questions how they even got the position?... Beware!!
Pros
Cool Employees. Weekends to yourself
Cons
Management. The Pay Sucks
fun,team work spirit
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2016
It is fun to work with patients during colonoscopy and so interesting to do DNA and RNA extraction ,and all the hard work that I did
Hospital’s General Surgery Residency is Unorganized
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dept of Surgery Georgia Ave NW, DC 20060January 5, 2016
I worked there for a few weeks on a temporary assignment and not only is the staff unorganized when it comes to records management but I was told to organize exams for the medical students and it was a waste of my time. After organizing 100+ exams, the students were taking the exams and before they finished, they started noticing how some of their questions were not consistent with their study materials. Basically, the medical administrative team had outdated exams mixed in with some current exams. It was crazy. In addition to that confusion, my temp agency told me that Howard University was ending the contracts for all of the temps at my agency. Soon after I learned this, a hiring manager claimed to know nothing about this and said to her knowledge, I would still be working there. However, it pays to stick with the information you get from your staffing agency because you get paid through the agency and I was submitting my timesheets through the agency's site. After the temp agency's contract date ends, THAT'S IT! No more work. So, it just didn't make any sense why HR wouldn't tell my supervisor any of this yet HR communicated clearly to my agency. Shouldn't hiring managers know what HR wants to do with their temp employees?
Just saying, I would never go back there again.
Pros
Cons
No employee lobby area, you have to share disgusting microwaves downstairs with patients & general public.
productive fast paced learning environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 20, 2015
Lots of opportunity to develop relevant skills needed for effective workflow. Fast paced environment with friendly team members
Extremely rewarding place
System Analyst (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCDecember 16, 2015
You will get your hands on many projects. I am privileged to work for Howard. A lot of opportunities for career growth and employee benefit.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
non I can think of
Overall Review Ethics
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2015
Worked with patient records, customer service, and scanning patients records into system with accuracy. Hardest part of job was making sure accuracy of records, most enjoyable was having contact with the patients and co-workers.
Resident life
General Surgery Resident (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2015
Very busy hectic resident life which is to be expected. A lot of training that will be very beneficial to the real world once residency is complete.
i enjoy the envirnoment
Registered Nurse Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Washington dcSeptember 25, 2015
busy, fast faced, the heart of the city a great place to work if you want to get your skills sharp. i enjoy serving this population.
In the basement of Howard University Hospital, very positive work environment built on strengthening the medical team.
Radiation Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2015
Gained quality knowledge and experience about myself as well as the radiation therapy department. I dealt with reading x-rays, CTs, and MRIs. I learned that sometimes body language is more important than verbal communication.
Pros
Got to learn how much humility can take you when first starting a job
Cons
N/A