Howard University Employee Reviews in United States

Great Co-wokers
Accounts Payable Technician II (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 30, 2016
I have learned a lot from different people at Howard. The people make the job enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is covering others responsibilities once they have left or been laid off.
not a great place to work
University Police (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2016
its not the place itself but the people whom they hire,and just a bad culture and terrible management. have not had a raise since I've started. everyone i encountered seemed to be very high minded. No humility insight. a lot of people are just concerned in getting a check not getting the job done. its not a one team one fight effort environment.
Pros
night shift
Cons
short breaks, terrible attitudes.
languages laboratory is fun and beneficial to students. I love to talk with my fellow teachers because I kept learning more and more about my students
French and Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
I tried finding what works and does not work in my classroom. I incorporated a mix of styles and taking from what I deem very best from each, simply benefits my students and in turn, makes my teaching much easier.
productive and fun
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2016
I would go to work sit at my desk and on the computer most of the day typing in material so students would able to check out materials. I would help students who needed help in finding materials. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the students.
Productive work place always something to do.
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Good supervisor, great working team, coworkers an atmosphere, I really enjoyed working at Howard they need a more experience contractor along with the management, they kept braking our union contract then they started furloughs and layoffs.
Pros
I enjoyd doing my job
Cons
Poor management
Review
Admission Recruitment Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2016
Howard University is a fine work environment with hard workers but bad management. Students are great, smart, professional, and easy to work with.
University
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2016
University is both challenging and rewarding. I learned much over my four years but the largest lesson I learned was perseverance.
A nice place to work.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
Howard was nice place to work. It is located in a nice area and convenient area. This college also allow employees to further their education for free.
Benefits
Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2016
Howard University has a lucrative benefits package with a diverse setting. Full Remission on Tuition, Purchasing Power, 10% Retirement match.
You feel that you contribute to the work place and in turn you receive inspiration from colleagues, and institutional leaders alike at all levels.
Lecturer of Spanish and Culture (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2016
It's an inspiring institution to work for, where excellence is sought after for the most part. You are supported, motivated, and proud to be working for intelligent students at a historic HBCH University.
Pros
An organized, thriving, and reponsible institution.
Cons
Overall a good place to be
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2016
Great coworkers, staff functions, training.

Needs to work on salaries (needs to be more competitive.)

Great Benefits - Tuition remission
Productive environemnt
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2016
The environment at Howard University is very relaxing to work in. People are very friendly and always eager to help you with experiments.
I worked under a student program
Administrative Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2016
I liked working here I liked the environment but the pay was low. I worked with different departments and meet a lot of good people up there. overall it was a cool job
Pros
I was uptown
Cons
pay was low
Productive and motivated work place with fair benefits
Clerical Office Assistance (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2016
- Organized files and employee schedules
- Handled confidential paperwork
- Worked on university policies to aid international student development
Pros
Great management team, fair work benefits
Cons
Long hours, unorganized work environments
love the diversity.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 25, 2016
I like the diversity of this job location, It's helping me to gain experience in a career that I like to do and the chance to learn from different people in different fields to see how all the careers links together.
Pros
different cultures all in one place
Cons
don't work weekends
Creative & Challenging Workplace
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2016
Opportunity to grow and develop, while mentoring and educating young professionals. Ideal location and esteemed colleagues.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Independent Opportuniities, Impact Factor
Cons
Resources Disparity
A supportive environment
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 5, 2016
A supportive workplace environment that has allowed me to improve my research, teaching, communication, personnel management, and problem identification and resolution skills.
• Provide secretarial support for the Dean of the School of Education
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 5, 2016
Maintain department files and filing system, both hard copies and electronic. Set-up luncheons, meetings and conference calls for staff as well as out of town guest.
The work/life culture is poor
Centralized University Course Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2016
Currently seeking employement due to lack of opportunity and advancement. Supervisors do not care about staff in the Administration. The overall school and faculty are great! Excellent school if you want someone truly dedicated to your students education.
College of Arts and Sciences Dean Office
Undergrad/Audio-visual assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2016
Howard University is the diversity place where you can interact with different people from different background cultures. It was a pleasure to work with the College of Arts and Sciences Dean office from September 2010 up to now as Undergrad/Audio-visual assistant and front desk receptionist answering phone calls.

Howard University Reviews by Location