Howard University Employee Reviews

Ability to Travel
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 26, 2015
Working with the Sports Medicine department allowed me travel to different states on the east coast. I enjoyed working with athletes, and assisting in their rehabilitation. I enjoyed working with my fellow student trainers, we learned together and loved traveling together.
Intresting workplace
Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 10, 2015
Faced paced work environment. Must know how to "think of the box " and multitask. Great place to build long lasting relationships.
Higher Education Board of Trustees Office
Sr. Vice President and Board of Trustees Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 17, 2015
Organizational skills developed.
Organizational structure implemented
Leadership Board of University.
Communication skills greatly improved.
Writing skills greatly improved.
Great intern experience.
Unstable work environment
Financial Accountant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 26, 2015
Pros: Lunch
They are trying to restructure their financial department. They are currently under construction. The university fails to have structure, which they trying to build.
Lots of Work
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 10, 2015
I found myself juggling 16 credits and working this position. It was extremely difficult trying to balance the two and I would not recommend it to anybody.
Work is very purposeful. University is suffering financial issues, so the working envirnoment is currently very serious.
Deputy General Counsel for Employment and Labor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 3, 2015
I have enjoyed the opportunities that Howard has provided to advance my skills. I am highly regarded at the University. I fully believe that my skills were advanced at Howard.
Productive and Exciting
Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 19, 2015
I am busy all year round with clients or with implementation of software or database upgrades. I also provides quality customer service to the students.
Relationship with the Clients
Student Physical Therapy Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 12, 2015
Pros: Great co workers
Cons: Having to adjust to flexible hours
Being a service to others is what I love. I enjoy helping and allowing others to feel good about themselves. My most enjoyable part in being a rehabilitation aide is motivating and cheering the patients on. By being patient and understanding of each patient's needs, I have been allowed to build a great relationship with them!
I worked for Young Life and not Howard University
College Director Young Life College (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 29, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours
Cons: Not enough help
I loved working with young adults helping them to develop leadership skills and grow in their faith.I enjoyed having mentor relationships with students and helping them navigate through life as students preparing or adult hood. There were many challenges that the young people faced and I was able to help them work through those issues and make sure that they were able to be successful as students and in life.
Awesome supervisors and good environment
Graduate Assistant (Research) (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 29, 2015
My supervisors at this institution were top-notch. The work environment was always pleasant and the education of job procedure, as well as the training itself, were both informative and useful. It was easy to work with the coworkers and everything was team-oriented. While this sometimes made tasks difficult to accomplish, what with social loafing and other problems with group work, it did make everything feel like a shared accomplishment instead of a means to hog the glory. Overall, a positive, empowering, and educational work enviroment.
Good place to work and seek further education.
Secretary in the Graduate Office (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 6, 2015
Pros: Opportunity for futhering your education if you so desire.
Cons: At will employment means that you can be let go at the whim of supervisor/University
I have found Howard University a good place to work at. I have enjoyed the family atmosphere and the confidence of those I have worked with over the years. I have felt valued and appreciated for the work I have done in each department I have been privileged to work in. the most enjoyable part of the job has been meeting and assisting the many parents and students who have come through the various departments.
N/A
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 3, 2015
Great co-worker
Busy
Supervise students
Manage
Research
The hardest part is dealing with people and their attitudes, but I mange!
enjoyed working in food service as well as being a cashier
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 2, 2015
Pros: free lunch, close to home
Cons: required lifting 5 gallon jugs of water, Pulling oveloaded carts accross campus with no assistance
prep salad bar, pies, cakes, pastries, etc... Make specialty coffees, cashiering and managing coffee bar opening and closing. I learned about making specialty coffees. Management was changed so often you didn't learn much about management. My co-workers were interesting to work with. Sometimes there were unprofessional actions with employees, for the most part they interacted ok. The hardest part of the job after my surgery I couldn't perform all the duties with the heavy lifting and squatting that the job required so I have to change my profession. The most enjoyable part of the job, as I always say is just having a job and doing your best at whatever your job may be.
Funplace to work with a ping pong table
CONTRACTOR (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: No benifits
Since the job was a contract job for Howard University Hospital the was difficult at times because of moving extremely heavy material and furniture. No benifits
Family oriented enviroment
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee), Washington DC-Georgia Ave.March 25, 2015
Pros: Family atmosphere
Cons: Lack of resources
The most enjoyable part of the day is teaching the kids the game of basketball and seeing them grow into responsible young adults.
Stress Work Environment
Library Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
Although I only spent a short period of time with Howard University, I learned that unfortunately a optimistic viewpoint of working here would not continue for over more than two weeks time. For the small contingent of individuals who work to make this institution better, a larger contingent refuses to move out of the status-quo in reference to the treatment of subordinates and colleagues.

The environment within my department was hostile and divided among co-workers. The stress was so unbearable, I decided to take a pay cut and go back to contracting for the federal government. Unfortunately, the most enjoyable part of my job by the first month until my departure was leaving for home at the end of the day.

I will not say not to work here, but I would advise any future applicant to use extreme caution when consider employment at Howard. Do your research on your department and review the retention data.
Satisfacory
Security Officer (Former Employee), Georgia Avenue nwMarch 17, 2015
The work was great, but the pay sucked, but that's ok because I could not do anything about it. But it did give me experience.
excellence place to work for
Medical Supply Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 14, 2015
management and co-workers are good employers and employees to work for and a great learning experience.And always enjoy my job and great to work with them all. And hope to get to work with all again.
Productive Workplace
Administrative Assistant IV/ Seminar Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 11, 2015
Pros: heart warming rewards
Cons: not enough staff
Multiple tasks start at 7:30 most days and ends at 4:00pm. I have learned at that you will have multiple hats to wear simply because the job needs to be completed. I believe that in order to be a part of management you must not give your team anything that you would not do yourself. Coworkers need to understand that everyone is a customer and should be treated in the same manner. The hardest part of my job was not having enough hours in the day to complete everything that needed to be completed that day. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the student obtain what they needed from me in to order to obtain their degree. It warmed my heart every time.
Productive and Prosperous Experience working at HBCU
Head Coach (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 5, 2015
Overall Howard University is one of the most prestigious HBCU in the country. Learned alot regarding the rich history of the institution.