HRT - Hampton Roads Transit

HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Employer Reviews

Teamplayer, enjoy providing good customer service, organized
BUS TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: working with a diverse community and employees
Cons: not knowing the routes
A typical day at Hampton Roads Transit is very busy. I learn new things about transportation almost daily. Management requires dedication to any position with Hampton Roads Transit. My co-workers are helpful and enjoy working as a team. The hardest part of my job is failing whether it is the operators or the public. I enjoy helping others and completing task.
Hampton Roads Transit
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: very good pay, very good hours, and bonuses
Cons: getting lost, different background of people, weather conditions played a role
A typical day consisted of checking the tires, mirrors, the inside cab compartment, my safety gear and the entire bus before I took it out of the lot. I learned how to be sensitive to customers needs and knowing every customer was different. I was my own boss each and every day because I drove the boss by myself and made decisions on my own. My boss and coworkers were all very lovely people and I wasn't given a hard time at all. The hardest part of my job was dealing with different backgrounds of personalities. The most enjoyable part was getting my customers to their destinations in a timely manner.
My Experience was...
Contract Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: free light rail, excellent insurance
Cons: lousy boss
I enjoyed my coworkers and end users that I did contracts/purchasing for. However, the management/guidance in my department is the worst. I left, I knew someone who went over there to my old department, needless to say, they are also gone. I loved they pay 100% of your insurance if its just yourself. No payroll deductions at all! I loved working for the CEO as I think he genuinely cares for his ppl, but my immediate director was not easy to get along with.
Data collector (Former Employee), Hampton, VAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: we got an hour break
Cons: sometimes they messed up the schedule
I had an awesome time working there. I got to meet a ton of new people and make some friends along the way
Let me explain
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: flexibility
I gave this company 3 stars for compensation/benefits only because they pay 100% of your medical all u pay is a copay and the put in the VRS (VA retirement) for you. What was I thinking when I left , Oh I know they do not have competitive pay. Couldn't live off the pay just to have free medical.
You need experience
Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: alot of work, hourly pay, well organized parts area
Cons: didnt give formal training
They hired me straight out of school but never gave me the formal training necessary to make good judgment calls for making repairs to the Taxi's. They told me to use my judgment but I didn't have enough experience to make proper judgment calls. They kept telling me I was doing well then after they showed me what they wanted out of me they let me go
Coworkers are awesome, but management needs a swift kick in the butt
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: free transit
Cons: management unavailable and pay is below average for the type of employment
Much of the work that I did required out the box thinking with limited direction but maximum micro-management.
Great job, horrible environment.
Systems Technician (Current Employee), LRVJune 29, 2014
Pros: free rides on all modes of hrt transport vehicles.
Cons: new rules everyday, a joke of a union (they negotiated a $.15 per hour shift differential) no possibility of advancement
The job itself is challenging, detail orientated, and a slow enough pace to learn all the ins and out of many aspects of the job. The Tide side (LRV) is however, full of drama, backstabbing employees, trying to kiss enough butt to possibly get a promotion. The top heavy management is disconnected from the employees and can only judge you on rumors they hear instead of actual job performance. Shift pick is non rotating seniority based so starting at the bottom you will work nights, for years. Promotions are based on a who you know, not what you know basis. There is a reason I have this app on my phone, because as a current employee, I regret coming here and am looking to go elsewhere
Fast paced work environment, friendly co-workers, and a great place to work
Sr. Administrative Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2014
Pros: friendly environment & great co-workers
A typical day at work is filled with phones ringing, employees reporting to the office regarding W/C or Liability Claims.Every day you changed your schedule as each crisis occurred, but somehow all tasks were completed by the close of the day.
Demanding and fast paced enviroment
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 16, 2014
Work day usually consists of monitoring and ensuring safe and efficient transportation for the public as well as maintaining a high standard of professionalism at all times. Managing over 100 operators at any given time and providing instructions as needed so operators can complete routes in a timely manner. Co-workers work as a team and support one another. Learned how to think in a fast paced environment and provide solutions to last minute problems. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people reach their destinations.
great place to work
Driver (Former Employee), Hampton, VAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: pay great, and it's a union job
Cons: long hours if you don't mind working
enjoyed working for hrt, would do it again...learned alot working there...met some really nice people from all walks of life...and it was a non stressfull atmosphere. co workers looked out for each other..for me there wasn't anything hard about the job,we looked out for each other including the supervisors.
Productive and fast paced
Para-transit Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: able to work independently
Cons: little compensation for the workload handled. wasn't paid according to job description or workload.
A typical work day at this company consisted of one on one in person interviews, scheduling applicants, reviewing applications, testing with personal assessments, making decisions, and completing the necessary paperwork to get decisions out to applicants in a timely manner. I was also responsible for monthly reports and stats for management. My workload was extremely heavy so time management and organization was very important. My department consisted of two eligibility workers, an administrative assistant and a manager. I operated, provided, and maintain services independently for two cities and would occasionally assisted my coworker with her workload. There wasn't any hard part to my job as long as I kept highly organized and used my time wisely and I did. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people and developing a good rapport with my clients. Although working with the public (especially the disable and senior population) can be challenging;, I enjoyed every second of it.
This place is unorganized
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: free rides on light rail, and buses
Cons: pay, new rules everyday
The Management of this company is crazy!!! The Training Department is very unprofessional and disorganized, use harsh language. Somedays I will come to Training and sit and do nothing for two or more hours while they find a bus or trainer.
No longer actively seeking contracts
Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee), Hampton Rhodes VirginiaAugust 13, 2013
Pros: great working relationship with ceo
Cons: not enough work (contracts)
Company had a lot of potential but did not get much work or subcontracts to keep it in business
Good company to work for.
Fleet Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Hampton, VAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: great job security.
Cons: working alternating shifts.
Great co-workers and supervisors. Gradually expanding business into different regions of the Hampton roads area.
The job should of offered more pay
Operator/Driver (Former Employee), hampton,vaAugust 6, 2013
Pros: driving and meeting people.
Cons: agruments with people and supervisors didnt do thier job.
I liked driving thats why i stayed. There were few oppurtunities at the job.
hampton roads transit was a great place to work
Transit Operator (Former Employee), Hampton, VAJune 13, 2013
Pros: good benefits $ free uniforms
Cons: did have much time for breaks
this job was very enjoyable. i became friends with a lot of people over the 27 years i was employed at hampton roads transit
no care for drivers
bus operator (Former Employee), norfolk vaMay 15, 2013
Pros: free bus pass for spouse benefits are good
Cons: long hours bad equipment rude customers
Buses are not in good repair they're dirty management doesn't care about employees they just don't care.
Safe Productive and Fun Work
Bus Operatetor (Current Employee), Hampton, VAFebruary 26, 2013
Maintained records to reduce misdirected records of bus maintenance, schedules, customer issues, and location notes to inform management of bus operations.
Developed and implemented key-points to ensure readiness for safety of passengers and their children, resulting in a 100 percent successful rate.
Maintained track record's for quality work and effective safety for pull-ins and pull-outs of all passenger bus stops. on time and within the bus schedule.
Assisted with transition for family's to move from one place to another for what ever reason by verifying standard procedures.
Maintained healthy and safe environment at work place for the customer and their children to explore with out undue risks while viewing each city.
Oversaw transition to new productivity tool that significantly increased accuracy of schedules and reduced errors like the (ACS) system. Always pre-trip all equipment before start of route for safety.
Stable employment
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 30, 2013
Transported passengers in a safe and timely manner. I loved interacting with the passengers.

HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Photos