HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Employee Reviews

Fun in the sun!!
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 26, 2017
This was my very first and only time driving a passenger bus since I had received my passenger endorsement on my CDL-A. I loved the people,the busses, and definitely touristy Virginia Beach in the summer. All the overtime you can stand! Truly a noteworthy experience!
work place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 25, 2017
- Manage the day to day operations of the Bus Maintenance Department. Responsible for the availability, reliability and cleanliness of vehicles, equipment and facility.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate computerized and paper maintenance records in compliance with corporate procedures and local, state and federal regulations. Provides accurate data in support of Key Performance Indicators.
Loved being on the move, doing something different and meeting new people everyday
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 23, 2017
The hardest part of the job was staying on time during peak traffic hours and dealing irate passengers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradery between the bus drivers.
Pros
awesome benefits and being part of an union
Cons
out of control passengers and passengers with hygiene issues
great place to work
CALL CENTER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 19, 2017
Greeted customers and assisted in anyway needed. I learn so much patients with job far dealing with the customers. Management team was great and supportive.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great co-workers, interesting field
Business Outreach Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 15, 2017
I worked with great people even though to me everything was too slow paced. I got a chance to meet a lot of important people in the community and attend various business functions.
Pros
Job security, benefits, no micro management
Cons
No advancement opportunity, low pay
Not A Great Place to Work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 5, 2017
HRT was not a fun place to work. It has a long way to go as far as internal customer relation and employee health. Trying to work out a work life balance is impossible with out getting some type of occurrence.
Prefer not to say
Road Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 26, 2017
It is important that a prospective employee make a decision on what they are expecting and not that of the opinion of anyone else. Everyone has their own experiences.
owner was supportive and understanding
Roofer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 15, 2017
good day people got along with each other, wouldn't rush work would make sure the job was done right, hardest part about job would have to be stand on the hot shingle with rising temperatures.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
shingles would get hot through out the day
It's a job.
Leasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 14, 2017
That's exactly it. There isn't much to say about it. Other than you have to be careful with the management at the job. However, the job I'm working for is through a cab company itself not the HRT.
Benefits
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 26, 2017
Good Pay ,fun work place, great employees to work with. Breaks were taken as needed. TV's in lobby to Watch while waiting for next route.
over worked employees and can't keep a full staff
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VA 23434January 12, 2017
This job is always short staff so, your going to do extra work if you want to or not. You can't count on management to help you because you will be talked down to. The co-workers are friendly and some are not. The hardest part of the job is staying at work for 14 or 15 hours and getting paid for 8 or 9 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is you never know what kind of day your going to have with customers.
Pros
there is always a lot of work
Cons
you are not allowed to have a life outside the job
Micromanager
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 9, 2017
Not the best job I have had. On call every other week. Three people short in the network services department. Management has been trying to hire an SA for over two years, and two network engineers for over 6 months.
Pros
I like the network and the work.
Cons
On call, not enough people, no raises.
This transit company never sleeps.
Storeroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 8, 2016
If you like a fast pace, high energy, multi-tasks job, you'll love to work for Hampton Roads Transit. There is always something new to learn and skill to gain.
Pros
Free rides on buses/trains
Cons
Have to work in inclement weather
Plenty of room for learning and advancement.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 27, 2016
A typical day would begin with a walk around inspection of the vehicle and an inspection of the interior cabin. Starting at a designated point I would begin my route and pick up customers for a safe delivery along my route while stopping to discharge passengers when required. My customer service skills were greatly enhanced while working this job because I assisted people from all walks of life. Management was fair and organized and stressed safety and the well being of all parties. Co-workers were generally easy to work with but some days could become challenging. The hardest part of my job was trying to keep on schedule because traffic wasn't always agreeable. The most enjoyable part of this job was driving passengers to their discharge points safely and on time.
Pros
Good operating equipment
Cons
short or no lunch break
Where do I start
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 10, 2016
Other departments have a better working relationship than operations. Operations is used as the 'dumping grounds' for other department's job task... making it difficult to achieve a steady work\ life balances
Pros
Friendly relationship with co-workers and operators
Cons
Management - in need of training of interpersonal skills
very stressfull
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 27, 2016
pre trip your bus leave out passenger cursing you all day because of the rules you cant break or you will be fired then the call in on you and the supervisor tells you to do the exactly the opposite of what you were told not to do
Exciting working with the public
(HRT) Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 6, 2016
Transporting citizens to and from their destinations daily can at time be overwhelming, however quite rewards just the same. Management can be easy to work with..I learn how to improve my customer service skills daily. I do enjoy working with some of the other operators. For the most part they're an exciting group of people.
The most difficult part of the job is getting time off and working extreme hours.
Pros
Self rewarding transporting people to their destinations
Cons
At time the public can get overwhelming
Wonderful job
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  3400 Victoria BlvdAugust 9, 2016
This is a very good company to work for and I did for 18 years but I had to resigned, non job related. If you loving working with people and don't mind driving in busy traffic and are able to deal with diversity of people. then this is the job for you.
Pros
Just do you job
i worked in better situitions
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 8, 2016
didn't really feel at home or comfortable as I needed to there,to many rules and regulations ,felt like I was walking on egg shells
various interaction with the public
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 19, 2016
excellent place to work would retire from company if I was not relocating to be closer to family.
wonderful staff and enjoy meeting different people and good relationship with my regular passenger

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HRT - Hampton Roads Transit. Our community is ready to answer.

HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Reviews by Location