HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful job
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  3400 Victoria BlvdAugust 9, 2016
This is a very good company to work for and I did for 18 years but I had to resigned, non job related. If you loving working with people and don't mind driving in busy traffic and are able to deal with diversity of people. then this is the job for you.
Pros
Just do you job
various interaction with the public
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 19, 2016
excellent place to work would retire from company if I was not relocating to be closer to family.
wonderful staff and enjoy meeting different people and good relationship with my regular passenger
Lacking in management
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2016
Management ask for solutions to overall poor performance but ignore viable solutions when given by supervisors and mechanics.
prodictive work place
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2016
I learned how to operate buses wheel chairs and learn a lot of different routes. I met a lot of friendly people. the pay was great. the hardest part was dealing with irate passengers
Pros
good pay
Cons
lomg hours
Long hours and trying to balance family life.
Light Rail Trainee (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 5, 2015
Enjoyed working with passenger-workers support. Management support. Could extend breaks for drivers.Decent amount of red tape and politics for a large company, but yo be expected.
Pros
easy job, after you learn the routes.
Cons
short breaks, busy routes
falling apart
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 2, 2015
hrt is only concerned about money they don't care about employees, public vehicle maintenance or safety. they don't care about employees lives . they want hrt to be your life
Enjoyed my time at walmart
Light Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 20, 2015
This place has great opportunity for growth and the benefits of working for Wal-Mart are great. I loved the people I worked with the management was very helpful if need be.
Excellent Transit Agency
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2015
I have enjoyed my tenure @ Hampton Roads Transit. There is nothing negative to say about my experiences and or the agency. It is definitely a high paced environment with many challenges which causes you to utilize your problem resolution techniques. I enjoy all of my co-workers ( bargaining unit personnel and non-bargaining unit personnel) The only reason I am seeking employment in the Raleigh-Durham area is due to the fact that my family and I are looking to relocate there.

Hampton Roads Transit is an excellent place to work.
Challenging
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR/MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 27, 2015
Working for the company has both pros and cons.
You are an investment, by which it is expected for one to perform highly.
You are elected to a vast amount of posts/tasks, some of which conflict with other obligations of your choice.
At times it's hard to balance "home/personal" life with the job, the job will always take precedence.
Great strain/stress often align itself with fulfilling your responsibilities
and obligations
There are times when it is hard to make plans for your days off - they are subject to change with little notice
You can get overwhelmed with additional tasks added to an already overcrowded day
Pros
Great co-workers, Ability to help and assist people
Cons
Long hours, Being Over Tasked
Excellent Company
Assisting LRV Techs (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2015
I've enjoyed the 4 years I've had with Hampton Roads Transit. I feel honored in being the first and only female Rail Hostler with the Tide Light Rail.
Pros
excellent benefits
Great work staff and fun place to work
Bus Service (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 22, 2015
good place to work if you like working at night and if you like working independent smooth work pace and management gives you your space to work.
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  NOrfolkJune 23, 2015
Its okay once you get use to it..Pay is good. Promotion is easy for mechanic from entry to high class..Benefits aren't to great
Pros
Pay
Benefits
Love my coworkers and what i do, horrible managment make our jobs difficult
1st Class Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 21, 2015
My coworkers and even some of our foremen are great to work with. Upper management has destroyed a great place to work. We lack in proper equipment, proper training for new hires and for those who may be weak in some areas of our job. They are always upset about numbers on paper, I do understand that perspective, but you cant solve a problem staring at numbers and shelling out blind orders. Figure out the reality of the situation, not just numbers and talk to those who are directly involved and work together to fix the problem. That is how HRT used to be. Now its just a bunch of finger pointing and politics. Non of our upper management personnel have ever turned a wrench let alone in this type of environment. If you've never performed the job how can you manage it?
Pros
Consistant Paycheck, no flag hours/ book time, great mechanics, variety of personalities.
Cons
Everything else.
Work environment is not employee friendly.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work can be very trying. My job consist of working with the public and, the public can be very difficult to please. The upper management seems to put out new rules every six months that somehow seems to work again the employees.
N/a
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 30, 2015
Very great place to work team players we all got alone like family.
Enjoyed being on the phone with patients and solving the problems that they thought they had until I helped solved them.
exciting and fun job
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 23, 2015
The customers where friendly and the job was great.The opportunity to get overtime was frequent and all of the co-workers where friendly and inviting for questions and how to. As a bus operator the company provide paid training and they have excellent trainers that teach every aspect of the company and the trainees responsibilities and duties pertaining to his or her profession, for a person new to operating a commercial vehicle that training will be the best gift the company could give to excel. the pay was great and the bus operators get the opportunity to change routes and work hours every 3 to 4 months.
Teamplayer, enjoy providing good customer service, organized
BUS TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day at Hampton Roads Transit is very busy. I learn new things about transportation almost daily. Management requires dedication to any position with Hampton Roads Transit. My co-workers are helpful and enjoy working as a team. The hardest part of my job is failing whether it is the operators or the public. I enjoy helping others and completing task.
Pros
working with a diverse community and employees
Cons
not knowing the routes
Hampton Roads Transit
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 28, 2014
A typical day consisted of checking the tires, mirrors, the inside cab compartment, my safety gear and the entire bus before I took it out of the lot. I learned how to be sensitive to customers needs and knowing every customer was different. I was my own boss each and every day because I drove the boss by myself and made decisions on my own. My boss and coworkers were all very lovely people and I wasn't given a hard time at all. The hardest part of my job was dealing with different backgrounds of personalities. The most enjoyable part was getting my customers to their destinations in a timely manner.
Pros
very good pay, very good hours, and bonuses
Cons
getting lost, different background of people, weather conditions played a role
My Experience was...
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 2, 2014
I enjoyed my coworkers and end users that I did contracts/purchasing for. However, the management/guidance in my department is the worst. I left, I knew someone who went over there to my old department, needless to say, they are also gone. I loved they pay 100% of your insurance if its just yourself. No payroll deductions at all! I loved working for the CEO as I think he genuinely cares for his ppl, but my immediate director was not easy to get along with.
Pros
free light rail, excellent insurance
Cons
lousy boss
Data collector (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 21, 2014
I had an awesome time working there. I got to meet a ton of new people and make some friends along the way
Pros
we got an hour break
Cons
sometimes they messed up the schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HRT - Hampton Roads Transit. Our community is ready to answer.

HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Reviews by Location