HSS Employee Reviews

Job is okay if out of college or in between jobs
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 8, 2017
The actual work environment is okay because you work in the hospital so it is nice to have clean restrooms most of the time and the facility is warm unlike being outside for the most part.

As far as HSS itself, the officers are good to work with but the management is not. They stress you out with the petty rules of cell phones and hats. It just seem childish at times to tell grown men they can't do this or that. The morale is low but no one cares so a lot of people looking for other options.

It was a great place.
Pros
Hospital
Cons
Low pay, bad management
Productive, Workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2016
A typical work day at my location is usually calm and runs smoothly, I have learned so many thing from the hospital I work for, for example how to talk to patients with an eating disorder. My co-workers are really great people and amazing workers. The best part of this job is working with the patients.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Having a lunch break after eight hours into the shift.
hardest part of the job
Security Officer at St. Joseph's Hospital (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2016
not your typical day at work, it gets crazy throughout the day, all afternoon and all evening, but I do keep people safe all day. Makes me feel good that their security officer at the hospital.
A High Energy Paced Environment
Security Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2016
Overall I enjoyed learning about the security screening process. It allowed me to grow not only as a Supervisor but as a Person.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Mandatory Over Time
Favoritism, Poor Management, Blind Loyalty is More Important Then Intelligent Business Practices
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2016
Upper management is clueless. Favoritism reigns supreme. It is a very good "ole" boys culture. Extremely poor business decisions are made. Very stingy with money and employee management. Has the negative aspects of a military/law enforcement mindset for their work culture. They value loyalty and overtime over working intelligently.

Corporate office has very bad management. HR department is a joke. Management is not taught how to be good managers at all. At times, they can be extremely disrespectful to new hires. Especially in California.

So much potential but they do not value intellectual capital. Demands loyalty and hours but will fire you easily. Any upward mobility in this company is about favoritism and sucking up.
Pros
Protecting people in vulnerable environments is truly honorable
Cons
Security Officers get very little respect from management
I will like the opportunity to work in a good company. To show my ability and experience and continue to learn professionally.
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 20, 2016
The experience working in this company was excellent. Not only lear something new something vout off what normaly do. Learn everyday make you stronger not only personal but professionally too.
Working in the Psychiatric ER is an interesting place.
Security Officer/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 5, 2016
Working in the Psychiatric ER has been an experience by itself. Performed in Civil arrests and protected medical staff from violent and belligerent patients that came into the ER. Performed restraints when needed. Also a Security Supervisor when needed
Pros
Paid breaks, occasional pride rewards
Cons
Dealing with violent patients that could hurt you badly
Excellent part-time job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2016
This job is perfect for anyone looking to work part-time. The hiring process took about a month. After training for about 4 days you're pretty much on call. The first week the schedule came out they only scheduled me 2 days but I was called everyday after that to see if I was willing to pick up shifts. By choice, I was working full-time within the first 2 weeks of being hired. If you show initiative to work, it's possible to get a regular part-time/full-time schedule. They hire from within so if you're looking to move up you could apply for another position/transfer to another location after 6 months. They offer 401k, medical and dental, as well as other benefits.
Pros
Scheduling is flexible
Cons
Pay rate
Great Life experience.
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2016
I grew up with this company, I learned what "Documentation" really meant and was able to be a team player. Being in California I got to experience the cultural melting pot first hand, from the worst of every culture to the nicest people of every culture. The hardest part of the job was surviving off the pay. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my peers and clients go home safe after a long days work.Awesome recognition program, great all around experience.
Pros
Awesome recognition program, great all around experience. A Lot of Over time
Cons
A LOT of Over time.
only good place to work for the money
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2016
High turnover rate.... You can get fired real fast here and management takes pride in letting you know that they can and will fire you.. They don't act like grown ups here, more like little kids in high school.
Pros
overtime
Cons
bad communication between management and officer
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 27, 2016
Typically i open doors around the hospital. I answer the phone and respond to all calls where needed. I assist with the morgue and i also assist with escorts and 5150 patients. I complete a D.A.R (daily activity report) which includes all my activities throughout the day
Horrific place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  WyomingJuly 17, 2016
The management is absolutely toxic. There is an environment of underhanded dealings, High School mentality and every man for himself. When taken to HR or upper level management nothing is done. Manager is racist and bigoted. Management plays favorites and targets others. DO NOT WORK HERE. Little room for advancement unless you are a teachers pet. Pay is decent but considering what this company makes, could be much much better and more competitive.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
too many to name
The Administration works to keep you happy.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kealakekua, HIJuly 11, 2016
I was assigned to a Hospital so the work was always rewarding and interesting. The HSS staff resolved the only minor pay issue I had in a timely manner and were always supportive when contacted.
Pros
Benefits when full time
Cons
Full time not always available
Place with toxic upper level managment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2016
While i was happy with my co-workers and immediate supervisor, I was always under the impression that the upper level management does not have a clear understanding about what hospital security is here in Austin. They are from Colorado with completely different laws and regulations from the state of Texas.
Loved the job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. Great co workers, I liked what I did, and most of importantly I loved the set scedual. The only beef I have is the management. My supervisor played favorites and didn't deliver on most promises. Not just promises for a better shift or a raise or anything like that.. But months after being hired I still hadn't received the proper training. I was basically shown a couple power points and shadowed for a day. I feel if an employee is expected to be handling patients with illness and diseases while they are trying to harm you or themselves, that employee should recieve all the training they ask for.

I would love to work there again and have applied a few times. Everytime I get a recruiter calling me saying he will talk to my old supervisor since I am eligible for rehire but no luck.
Pros
relaxed environment, cool co workers
Cons
poor training program, supervisor plays favorites
Nearly a decade , post synopsis
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2016
The turnover in administration tends to alter the balance of work environment. Some administrators were fair and professional, while others were unprofessional and would treat staff poorly. It became a "clique" at one point. (Mean girls behavior)

In the beginning I entered as entry level reception, with my outside experience I showed my work ethic and took the initiative to go to HR whenever I wanted to move up in the hospital to somewhere I could be of more use.

Transferring and having growth is easy if you are good at what you do. Annual COL increases help balance things financially. Health benefits and retirement are good. Its always good to ask questions at HR to be clear of your options.

Depending what department you are in, you may be requested to work until "close" and that is where you may incur overtime or more responsibility. You may also not have a say so in when you leave if other sections are involved. For example: If you are front desk you cannot leave until the patients are done with doctor and or admin or doctor without approval. Same for doctors staff, if you are a secretary or manager that has a shift till closing, don't expect to truly leave until the doctor is done seeing patient and the patient is done with nurses, doctor, exams, etc as they will ask you to finish the admin part of appointment "patient check out, or appt making, payments, etc"

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS IF YOU LOVE YOUR JOB otherwise, it is kind of a thankless job. If you do not like to deal with problem solving and multi tasking and remain pleasant throughout...this
  more... is not a job for you.

The more intricate the position, the more responsibility you have. The patients tend to be high maintenance. The people you work for might also be high maintenance.

You have to be able to take charge and get things done. You have to be able to take instruction from your higher ups (even when they may not have the best ideas) do them first their way, and later suggest if you have a better way.

It became a POLITICAL environment and got uglier by the day.

P.S. Don't think of ever having a lunch break or a normal break if you work alone. Office managers and secretaries do not get coverage from floaters for lunch breaks. Floaters only cover people when they are out for the day, when I worked in front desk there was coverage for lunch...but not when you're in a private office- every man for themselves. They say you are mandated to take one hour lunch and it is un paid, but theres never a way to take that break. then they complain about overtime.

**** Many demands, but not enough staff to fulfill a fluid work environment******

Also, If you're signed on as a manager for a new practice be prepared to work completely alone until you request and demand or show proof of why a medical office requires a manager and a secretary and a file person or at minimum two people to split duties. If you don't speak up, they tend to toss more tasks on one person and underpay them. or they request temps from outside agencies rather than hiring in house and you find yourself training different temps daily instead of working side by side with someone who you've already trained.
Pros
Depending where you are, you might get a bonus, or be appreciated
Cons
Admin of hospital above all positions, and some HR ppl are not traditional or fair, overworking and underpaying employees.
Wanting a fast paced challenging enviroment
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2016
I am used to long hours, extremely customer service orientated, meeting all deadlines, fast paced varied environment.
Work Environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 6, 2016
HSS has great employees to work with but not so good with management responsibilities and promises. Currently looking for work elsewhere so I can be better compensated and room for advancement.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not so good management
Hospital security
Hospital security (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 6, 2016
this job was by far on eof the best jobs i have had in a long time. my supervisor was great and also my co workers we came to work every day ready to get our job done.
It's a good company.
Shift Supervisor/ Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAApril 5, 2016
It's a good company that has a great amount of OT available but sometimes gets in the way from your daily life routine. Management is great in taking care of their employees, a typical day at work would be always being alert and making sure everything in the site is secure, my co-workers and I get along great, the hardest part of the job would be lack of communication between co-workers but that rarely is a problem, the most enjoyable part of the job would be getting along with staff, visitors, and patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9