Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Hudson Bay makes you feel like you are at home , customers and employees feel like that every day .
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 13, 2017
I worked a lot , I worked how to work in a fast paced , I learned how to make latte art and how to manage . Manager have paitions on training new employees and on the employees that worked there for a while and still need work .
Pros
Manager and coworkers nice and easy going . Great customer service and management .
Company in transition
Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2017
Hudson's Bay Company is a merger/acquisition company focused on retail apparel. Retail is going through a difficult transformation with HBC being impacted like other retailers. The fact that the company is a M&A company creates high turnover and makes it difficult to gain stability for people, process and culture.
Great company I just need more
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 29, 2017
I enjoy what I do. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot during my tenure here. I am just looking for a career that is more challenging and rewarding. I want to be able to advance further and know what my future will entail in the next 3-5 years.
Great Experience, yet stressful and poorly managed
Junior Photographer (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PANovember 25, 2017
You learn a lot through this experience, but you train yourself almost and learn from your reshoots and managers telling you your faults. Management is more so for quantity over quality when it comes to your day at work. Meaning, they don't train you well and fix the problems as you go so you never know the proper way of doing something. They would rather hire pulses than promote within and make their current employees happy.
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Cons
Relocating to a sheltered demographic. Poorly Managed.
Excellent place to work
Credit Office Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaNovember 23, 2017
It was a great place to work , we had a great management. very flexible hours. the working environment was great. family orientated. unfortunately the company closed.
Poor Management and Declining Business
Digital (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2017
With recent changes at HBC, teams are stretched thin and current management lacks both experience and intelligence to advance in this economy. The digital space should be an area of focused growth, but instead, it is treated as the ugly step-child of the business where incompetent management with zero experience in e-commerce is trying to lead a multi-million dollar business. HBC underpays its employees and is pushing the company by using assistants to take on director responsibilities at assistant-level pay.
The benefits after the takeover are a joke. Deductibles are high and the coverage for necessities is poor.
Another Struggling Retailer
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 6, 2017
HBC is struggling just like every other retailer. They will do rounds of layoffs for support teams, leaving the remaining staff with no support (tools, forecasts, training,etc.). No real plan to turn around business other than lay people off and sell valuable buildings.
Nothing is ever right
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PANovember 3, 2017
Don't pay you for your pto, when you hand in an application for a different department, your manager doesn't submit it to hr. He is never available if you have an issue
Cons
They dont care about employees, mess up pay checks every week
Training
Visual Stylist (Former Employee) –  Queen and the Bloor locationOctober 31, 2017
The training at the Bay in all areas is lacking. For example most of the new hires have no idea what the store policy are. Something as simple as the store return policy, store hours, items sold and locations.
Pros
Some good people, but most of the staff is waiting to retire.
Cons
Part time staff need to be availabe at all times, this makes it difficult to have a second income or continue in a extra activity outside of work.
Good people to work with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 25, 2017
Company helped me advance myself and work on my skills. Environment can be high paced at times which makes time management a challenge. People are friendly and good to work with. Good to help advance yourself with career path building.
Pros
Unlimited time off for salaried employees
Cons
Healthcare & hard to advance in management
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 16, 2017
See Resume for examples of what a typical day at work is like, lots of opportunities for improvement in the retail area. All retail jobs are being redefined by Amazon.
Pros
See Resume
Cons
See Resume
Productive high paced work environment
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2017
HBC was a fantastic place to work. Upper management has great vision and character that has become culture. It is fast paced, and sometimes stressful, but always productive. The hardest part of the job is that at times there are not enough hours in the day. A typical day begins are 8:30 for most and ends at 5:30. But there is such a sense of camaraderie that you barely feel the day passing. Everyone is focused on one thing and that is that we excel. Giving our customers not only what they asked for, but also the essentials they did not know they needed.
Pros
International Company, leader in the field of retail on various platforms, great compensation package
Cons
Inability to advance
My review
Sr. Manager Operations Support (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 10, 2017
Benefits are not competitive. Too expensive for even the managers. the hourly benefits are even worse. It seems that the hourly teammates are treated better than the leaders. leadership integrity does not exist.
Cons
Poor benfits. Poor communications.
Good work environment
Developer Onshore Outsourcing (Former Employee) –  Macon, MOOctober 9, 2017
This company had a wonderful work environment, and great management to work with. I learned quite a bit as a full stack developer about many processes and procedures essential to working as a developer in other capacities.
Okay place to work
Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 3, 2017
Call center is in a giant wharehouse. 7 min walk from parking lot. No windows, very dank. People were decent though. Job stress is constant, but typical for a call center.
Low morale
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 30, 2017
Horrible work life balance. Continuous layoffs and low moral throughout the work place. They continuiusly say the teams are lean but every department is understaffed.
Working at Hudson's Bay Company
Manager, Saks Fifth Avenue (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CASeptember 28, 2017
You do learn a lot from your managers. The work place culture can be nice but is also very competitive. The hardest part of the job is working with the register. The most enjoyable part are the relationships you build.
Advancement for Entry Level
Display Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
Advancement easier for those in entry level positions. Communication on internal goals could be improved upon.
Management not transparent on future career advancements
This is a difficult and demanding organization. Short-Staffed.
IT Engineer (Current Employee) –  undisclosedSeptember 13, 2017
I love the work and I love the challenges, but the workload is intense. Training is secondary to projects and assignments. Raises are non-existent. Qualified employees are expected to babysit unqualified employees. Definite tension in the environment. Work expectations are unrealistic. Average work weeks are 50-60 hours without ever catching up. Expect requests from other teams to escalate to management rapidly. Expect to work on multiple critical tasks simultaneously.
Every Employee is Just a Number
eCommerce (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PASeptember 12, 2017
Hudsons Bay Company attracts new employees by making promises of fancy benefits and unlimited PTO. Once people sign up they quickly realize it was all a mask. Terrible Management and poor policies and procedures lead to poor morale and exhausted and overworked employees. After being with the company for 5yrs I have seen numerous upper management changes leading to an unstable environment. Also, raises were just revoked and replaced with a "Lottery picking out of a hat" system that was not clarified or officially implemented. Company consistently spends on new equipment and acquiring additional companies but focuses no efforts on employees.
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay Company. Our community is ready to answer.