Hudson Guild Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
It was a nice to work.
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
It was a great place to start working if you desired to teach, tutor , train or educate in the near future. We had a great time working with the teens and assisting them with their athletic performance. And life skills that would guide them in their upbringing as young men and woman.
Pros
Going to work and doing something you love
Diverse Environment
Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2017
I really enjoy working with most staff and the children are bundles of joy.I did find it hard to grow as supervision and micromanagement was constant and excessive.

-Constant shuffle with staff and lack organization and team building
Pros
Kids, Environment, Hours
Cons
no benefits, lack structure, no room for growth, extreme micromanagement
Working at the Hudson Guild summer camp was the best.
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2017
Although days got stressful, working at the Hudson Guild was the best time of my life. There was never really a typical day at work, because everyday were doing something different with the kids. As a camp counselor I learned that dealing with kids take time and patience. Management was good, everyone was respectful towards one another.The workplace was clean, and always loud because of the kids of course but in a good way we were always having fun.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the parents and sometimes the kids because they were young they mostly didn't know any better.The most enjoyable part was the activities we got to do with the kids, and the trips, everything was always fun there.
Pros
fun activities and trips.
Cons
rude parents
Great for an internship
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
I completed my MSW internship here. It was a good experience and I enjoyed working with the kids. It was challenging at times, but I felt supported by most of the staff. The hardest part was getting teenagers to engage in the after school groups.
Great
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2017
I help clean the kitchen help cook and prep food for the elderly and help serve them I also like the workers that was there because there helped a lot when I didnt know something
Cons
It's a place where you can bond with children and interact with great people.
Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
A typical work day at Hudson Guild is just picking up the kids from school, bring them to the Hudson Guild site to serve the children snacks. Then you transition in 30 mins of homework assistance. After homework time we then proceed into doing activities that incorporate Math,Science, Literacy, and Art. Once we are finished with activities, we then take the participants to the gym but if it's a nice day we then decide to take them outside to the nearest playground. Then we bring the kids back to the classrooms and prepare for pick up. While we wait we can either have the participants share what was their favorite part of the day or we can continue to run organized games until their parents come to pick them up.
Management in Hudson Guild is okay. In the sense where usually supplies that you need are not provided or when you find yourself in need of assistance with a participant giving a hard time.
The hardest part at working in Hudson Guild would have to be being able to adapt and to have a back up plan when it comes to lession planning. Usually sometimes things don't go as you planned.
The one thing that I really enjoy working at Hudson Guild is being able to reach out to different kids and making a difference in their life. It could be as small as helping them over come life situations or helping them improve in a subject that they are struggling in. That's what I look forward to every single day when I'm on my way to work.
The Hudson Guild
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
I am very thankful for the Hudson Guild for showing me how important children and families are and that i am a part of an oranization which i have had growth in helping families that are in need and have been able to provide referals for children that need services, It may be challenging at times trying to get parents to undersatnd and participate in workshops and other events that pertain to their children, but that is the part that i love the most. The children and families at our center are the most important part of my job because i love helping them in whatever their needs are and enjoy advocating for them whenever needed, recruiting with my co-workers and working close to them as a team is also one of the things that i enjoy because it gives me the chnace to meet new people and also form partnerships with other organizations.
Pros
Eating lunch with the children in the classroom to form relationships with them
Cons
Health Care Benefits
Hudson guild is a wonderful place
Group Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Working at the Hudson Guild is a wonderful place. A well-respected organization in the heart of Chelsea. I've learned so much as a group worker and will utilize the skills I've learned in the future to come. The guild has taught me how to assess behavioral report create lesson plans and implementing common core standards and many teaching strategies for a classroom setting. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children, as well as seeing them engaged in the activities and partnerships the Guild has to offer.
Pros
hot meals for participants, partnerships, participants
Cons
room for growth, healthcare
Great Teaching Opportunity
Group Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
The Hudson Guild prepared me in becoming a teacher as they had me create and implement lesson plans. They also gave me multiple subjects to cover which only widen my horizons.
No Growth
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2015
It was a decent environment with cool coworkers. However, the tasks were generally monotonous. It was not a place of growth for me.
Educational envirornment
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2015
Very educational environment, knowledgeable staff. I enjoy working with the teachers and students and maintaining lines of communication with the parents/guardians. The staff is all about team work.
Experience: Unpaid Internship
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Downtown New YorkJuly 7, 2015
The Hudson Guild was a good experience because it taught me how to work quick and under pressure. A typical day in the kitchen was come in prep meals for the elderly. Once the students arrived review the menu and help the kids prepare the meals. HArdest part of the job at first was learning to work quick , independantly and under pressure.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Internship
Fieldwork Level 1: Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
● Supportive case management
● Friendly visit (supportive out reach service to senior citizens)
● Created and ran two therapeutic groups
● Provided counseling
● Case assistance
● Crisis intervention
● Worked on elder abuse cases with lead social worker
A fun and learning environment where its almost like a family.
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
Hudson Guild is a community center where the youth go for youth services. I interned there and it was a pleasurable experience. I had to work with middle school students and they were fun and spontaneous. It was never a boring day. I learned to help and make sure that these future high school freshmen were on the right path. The hardest part of the job was telling the students to settle down and be quiet because it was very time consuming and a waste of valuable instructional time. The most enjoyable was when we went to the recreational center and played some dodgeball.
Pros
I met new people, Networking myself, perfecting my skills with kids.
Cons
I cant think of any cons.
wonderful non profit organization
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2013
enjoyed working with little children in my community even teens. with projects, play, events , homework, voulnteering, this is a very good organzation that has helped me grow and get me ready for the future. ive worked at the hudsn guild from 14 years old til i was 18 and everyone in this organization cares about your hope and dreams and will help you get where you want to be. the hardest part about this job was communicating with angry parents the enjoyable part was working ang helping children plus parents and going to curricular actitvies and trips after work also learning about collge and other cultures around us.
Pros
free trips and partys
Cons
rude parents and tardiness parents
Productive and outgoing place to work.
Receptionist/Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2012
A typical day at work would be busy and entertaining. You learn that you cannot always satisfy everyone. Therefore you have to have the ability and patience to try your best. The Management team was helpful in certain situation's, but for the most part you had to think and make decisions that would best fit you and the company. Their were many obstacles I had to overcome to be successful at this work place, however I wouldn't say anything was hard. A challenge is more of a word I would use. You are always challenging yourself to be the best you could be and shine. The end of the day would be the most enjoyable part, because you leave work feeling accomplished.
Pros
abilitity to meet new people
Cons
healthcare, pay, room for growth
Help kids with home work
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2012
It was a learning experience. Working with kids is not easy.But I love kids.
Fun work place
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2012
Monitored students during meals, trips, and recess
Taught students respect for adults and each other
Worked with students on communication and interactive skills
Assisted students with creative projects
Attended workshops on developing and improving my skills
Assisted senior staff and managers as needed
Volunteered full time when work session was completed

Management was nice yet intimidating. Co-workers were nice but not all of them.
Pros
make friends, hour breaks, programs for teen workers were provided
Cons
behavioral problems from the children
Calm and relaxed work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the day was helping people. My co-workers were helpful and gave me a lot of knowledge about the job. I learned how to answer the phone and greet people for a company. The management was very helpful and taught me a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson Guild. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5