Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews

Dead End, Don't EvenThink About It
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 12, 2017
I hate this place, specifically the Gaithersburg location. I didn't mind it at first until socially I discovered it was just a drag. The employees are stressed and take it out on others because poor and clueless management is constantly watching over them as if they were robots. Half of the management does not know what they are doing half of the time and when things go awry, they take it out on the employees in the assembly line. Line Leaders and Managers do not know how to speak to contract employees professionally and are disrespectful because they think their position allows them to treat them like that. On top of that, they ask you troubleshooting questions as if they paid you enough to know that information. Furthermore, it is an unstable job if you're under Randstad contract. Never, AGAIN! I will not recommend ANYONE to go there, ever. Your freedom is limited to the MAX. This will not benefit you at all. Might make a couple bucks, but that's it.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional, rude enivronment, no free lunch
Productive and ever-changing
VSAT Hub Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2017
Working at Hughes was very satisfying. Being the largest VSAT hub of it's kind at the time, provided lots of avenues for learning. The location was the perfect commute for me.
Local Workplace Award Winner
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 16, 2017
A leader in its market, this local company has a global reach. The company offers many career opportunities to its employees. If you are considering a new opportunity, consider looking into this company.
Fresh out of college 1st job
LAN Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I did my internship there during College (part of the program I was in at school) which was required in order to graduate. I was hired at the conclusion of my internship. Stayed there for about a year or so then my position there was outsourced. Fair folks but substandard pay. I didn't seek a different position.
Good learning environment
Program Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 13, 2017
Company is not a micro management environment. You are free, within reason, to use company resource to get your job done. Best to have a technical background for advancement.
Excellent learning experience
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 1, 2017
A leading player in the Satellite Communication Industry. I enjoyed the challenges that each day brought and the gratification of helping customers. This job was more like an enjoyable hobby rather than going to work.
Nice place to work at.
Senior Software/Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDApril 23, 2017
I enjoyed working at Hughes Network system. My position was very challenging and educational. I enjoyed the upportunity to work on new latest RF/Satellite technology.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
working on too many projects at the same time
Hopefully you land in the right department
Senior Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDApril 12, 2017
My experience is somewhat limited as I had a great manager who left me to my projects and responsibilities. I was not exposed to the politics of the daily grind.

The one knock I have is the after the on boarding process I felt somewhat lost on where to go to find information, team calendars and input my time. I had to ask fellow coworkers for this information.

Work/Life balance was great as I was responsible for hitting deadlines and as long as you did that nobody criticized sick days, start times or vacation days.

Over all a pleasant place to work.
Pros
Not micro-managed, good work/life balance and pleasant atmosphere.
Cons
They are going through a change and job security is nonexistent.
Nice but very less paying
Provisioning Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Lauderdale, FLMarch 28, 2017
I start working at 9:00 AM and as per my job responsibilities resolve the issues on daily basis which are either related to customer or to our subcontractors who are internet provider to our customer's door step. There is a priority list given to the employees which determines the seriousness of every job on daily basis. Workplace culture is very professional and management is very strict and disciplined. The hardest part of the job is sometimes satisfying customer which is top priority of our company And the most enjoyable part of the job is that we have opportunity to play ping pong in lunch breaks or in short breaks.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
short breaks
Good Company to work for
Staff Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 22, 2017
Great company to work for, especially if you desire longevity in your career. Compensation is average for the area. Flex work hours to coordinate around traffic. Don't allow for telework.
Laid back workplace
Business Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDJanuary 2, 2017
People are very nice and environment is very laid back and is very flexible as long as your work gets done. Benefits are ok and advancement within company seems difficult.
Not Fun
Senior Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 4, 2016
Boring work day with micro managers. You quickly surpase the knowledge of other workers so don't learn much. Management is absolutely terrible. Dealing with management is the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part is going home.
International Opportunities
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDDecember 1, 2016
Enjoyed working with our international contractors and their travel orientations.
Management the best in understanding all aspects of the job.
Co-workers very welcoming and knowledgeable
The hardest part was leaving due to relocation
I enjoyed learning travel contracts.
Sr. Billing Analyst
Senior Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDNovember 7, 2016
Hughes is a good place to work; its convenient, hours are flexible, able to telecommute at times; management & co-workers are good. Manager makes sure you understand, takes you to meetings to learn
enjoy and relax
Light industrial & Assembler (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 11, 2016
mount server rack, test server, test rack equipment. Assembly network and satellite equipment. Make a live test . I lear how assembly satellite devices and built server rack by using engineer paper work.
Great company that is declining after Echostar purchase
Satellite Network Field Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJune 20, 2016
Great company with dedicated employees. Great morale is gone, needs to be concerned with it more. Can be a great place again if improved.
great learning experience for web design
Intern (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 1, 2016
Create various aspects of a website to keep track of multiple networks. I learned how to use PHP, python, and front-end web development (html, css, javascript). I worked with a small team to convert and combine old tools into one new website. The hardest part was the very beginning when I wasn't familiar with php or python. The most enjoyable part was seeing what I was making and how it improved the site.
great place to learn
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 6, 2016
great place to start a career. Lots to learn. Great managers. Compensation may be slightly on the lower side, but the job is secure and stable. Lots of innovative things are done and the employees are kept abreast of developments. Pretty transparent. Innovation is encouraged.
Hard work, lots of meetings,
Compliance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDOctober 10, 2015
Hughes does great things, but it is a high stress environment, and hierarchies are very important. There is not a great deal of structure on how to learn something. You need to be fairly agressive to get ahead there
Good place to work for
Member technical staff (Current Employee) –  Germantown ,MDOctober 5, 2015
Good place to work for for Entry level people and can learn a lot.
People are enthusiastic and the system is very complex.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hughes Network Systems. Our community is ready to answer.