Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews

International Opportunities
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDDecember 1, 2016
Enjoyed working with our international contractors and their travel orientations.
Management the best in understanding all aspects of the job.
Co-workers very welcoming and knowledgeable
The hardest part was leaving due to relocation
I enjoyed learning travel contracts.
Not Fun
Senior Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 4, 2016
Boring work day with micro managers. You quickly surpase the knowledge of other workers so don't learn much. Management is absolutely terrible. Dealing with management is the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part is going home.
Sr. Billing Analyst
Senior Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDNovember 7, 2016
Hughes is a good place to work; its convenient, hours are flexible, able to telecommute at times; management & co-workers are good. Manager makes sure you understand, takes you to meetings to learn
great place to learn
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 6, 2016
great place to start a career. Lots to learn. Great managers. Compensation may be slightly on the lower side, but the job is secure and stable. Lots of innovative things are done and the employees are kept abreast of developments. Pretty transparent. Innovation is encouraged.
enjoy and relax
Light industrial & Assembler (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 11, 2016
mount server rack, test server, test rack equipment. Assembly network and satellite equipment. Make a live test . I lear how assembly satellite devices and built server rack by using engineer paper work.
Great company that is declining after Echostar purchase
Satellite Network Field Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJune 20, 2016
Great company with dedicated employees. Great morale is gone, needs to be concerned with it more. Can be a great place again if improved.
Good place to start your career
Lead Mechanical Engineer - Product Development (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 8, 2014
Good place to start your career right out of school. Get a lot of responsibility and get to learn from long-tenured engineers. Benefits and salary are not competitive though.
great learning experience for web design
Intern (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 1, 2016
Create various aspects of a website to keep track of multiple networks. I learned how to use PHP, python, and front-end web development (html, css, javascript). I worked with a small team to convert and combine old tools into one new website. The hardest part was the very beginning when I wasn't familiar with php or python. The most enjoyable part was seeing what I was making and how it improved the site.
work place
Lab Technician III (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 10, 2015
I started working with the company this month and i really like the place and the management. the place is good for someone who is getting into in career because thee are a lot of things to learn there.
Hns
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2015
Logging into my workstation and reviewing daily tasks and any needed installations. Taking calls, monitoring alarms, maintaining systems, and rebuilding those that fail.

I've learned to handle a broader array of technical issues and problems than before.

My coworkers are some of the most interesting people I've ever met, they all have their own story, and each of them brings something new and interesting to the table.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with poor planners. Having to redo installations because someone didn't get the specifications right the first time.

The most important part of the job is how it is not the same every day. There's something new to do and learn.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
benefits have been getting worse over time
Great benefits...
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 9, 2012
Hughes is a great company that has been around for over 35 years. They offer great benefits and work/ life balance is very nice.
Cons
compensation, promotion from within
Better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission
Senior Sales Director, Business Services (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDJanuary 6, 2015
Culture of innovation in technology and corp culture. I grew up on MCI and will treasure my experiences there.

Company was is now part of Verizon but went through a rough patch under leadership of Bernie Ebbers. 1984-1998 were a great period to be in telecom.
Pros
Innovation
Nice place to work
Engineer II - Systems (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 4, 2015
Good place to work .. people are nice .. Management needs to consider benefits for the employees working during odd hours
A Dead End for your Career
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 24, 2015
If you have given up on progressing professionally, you should immediately apply to Hughes Network Systems. Please let me be clear, I am speaking only of the Gaithersburg facility, as I cannot speak to the Germantown facility or the Lake Forest facility.

Management is very heavy - you will meet more people with "Senior" or "Principal" in their titles than you will meet anyone else. However, there is a management fear and frenzy structure, as in upper management will pat themselves on the back until a flaw arises. It is then that everyone is whipped into working on that task and out of fear and constant micromanaging they drop all their other obligations to work on this new assignment. Once that is fixed, it appears that another flaw floats to the top, due to neglected tasks or a failing infrastructure.

Yes, the managing style of HNS in Gaithersburg is based on a whim, not on calculated scenarios or FMEA reports (yes, this company gloats about its Six Sigma but operates closer to 3 or 4 sigma at best).

In a typical day, you will spend 50% of your time going through and generating reports or getting around red tape for tasks that are not only redundantly redundant, but inherently useless. About 40% of your time will be spent correcting the work of your colleagues, past and present. You will try your best to safeguard, but management will only provide so many resources.

Finally, because of the fear of management and the constant contact, instituting reforms is very difficult, especially if it goes between departments, as the upper management acts as if their department
  more... is an independent entity that is the sole breadwinner of the facility, and all others must adapt to them.

I have worked with others from all the departments in the facility and can safely say that the things I've said are generally true for any position. It is because of these factors that lower tiered employees are nearing retirement age and are in a state of, "Yeah, that's a big problem, but it won't be my problem for long". Concurrently, management seeks to use Temps whenever possible, as much as possible - 75% of the employees in this facility are temporary, and thus have no investment in the company.

Hughes is not a place to stay. Hughes is not a nurturing environment. Hughes is not beneficial to your career aspects.

If you are looking for a dead end for your career, then Hughes is for you.
Pros
Decent benefits package
Cons
Micromanaging from knee-jerk management, limited resources for employees, little job growth
Good development work
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2014
Opportunity to do development work and great work/life balance.
Pros
Job work
Cons
Compensation
A Day of work
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDOctober 2, 2014
Come into the office, have the morning chat of the days activities and things to be done. I like to go look at what it is I am going to do and scot what I am going to need and what I am going to have to do to get the job done. Then I go gather all items I am going to need to complete my work. I complete my job then fill out the necessary paperwork to complete the days works then go home. I do like to complete work I start and do not like to leave a job unfinished. If I do not finish that day, I like to leave at a point to where I can come in and easily pick right back up.
Pros
Caffeteria
Cons
I don't like it when someone does not hold up to their word.
Successful Regional Manager
Manager of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 5, 2012
I managed locations from Kentucky to Louisiana. This position required working with Contractors, Vendors, Company Directors and VP's. Also managing to to mantain schedules, work logs and traveling 85% of the time. I started as a tech and after being promoted twice I landed a management position.
Pros
great work experience
good growth opportunities
Principal Accountant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg MarylandApril 28, 2013
excellent learning experience, work llife balance is not so good,diversified culture,
Hughes has changed since I worked there.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 25, 2013
When I worked at Hughes, it was great. The company has been sold to EchoStar so I can't really comment on how it is run any longer. I have tons of friends there who are not looking to leave but they say that the culture has changed dramatically.
Great place to learn
DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2015
Lots of projects, great technical people, lot to learn. Global work environment. Good communication between senior management and employees. Cutting edge satellite based projects.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hughes Network Systems. Our community is ready to answer.