Hughes Network Systems

Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews

work place
Lab Technician III (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJune 10, 2015
I started working with the company this month and i really like the place and the management. the place is good for someone who is getting into in career because thee are a lot of things to learn there.
A Dead End for your Career
Engineer (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDMay 24, 2015
Pros: Decent benefits package
Cons: Micromanaging from knee-jerk management, limited resources for employees, little job growth
If you have given up on progressing professionally, you should immediately apply to Hughes Network Systems. Please let me be clear, I am speaking only of the Gaithersburg facility, as I cannot speak to the Germantown facility or the Lake Forest facility.

Management is very heavy - you will meet more people with "Senior" or "Principal" in their titles than you will meet anyone else. However, there is a management fear and frenzy structure, as in upper management will pat themselves on the back until a flaw arises. It is then that everyone is whipped into working on that task and out of fear – more... and constant micromanaging they drop all their other obligations to work on this new assignment. Once that is fixed, it appears that another flaw floats to the top, due to neglected tasks or a failing infrastructure.

Yes, the managing style of HNS in Gaithersburg is based on a whim, not on calculated scenarios or FMEA reports (yes, this company gloats about its Six Sigma but operates closer to 3 or 4 sigma at best).

In a typical day, you will spend 50% of your time going through and generating reports or getting around red tape for tasks that are not only redundantly redundant, but inherently useless. About 40% of your time will be spent correcting the work of your colleagues, past and present. You will try your best to safeguard, but management will only provide so many resources.

Finally, because of the fear of management and the constant contact, instituting reforms is very difficult, especially if it goes between departments, as the upper management acts as if their department is an independent entity that is the sole breadwinner of the facility, and all others must adapt to them.

I have worked with others from all the departments in the facility and can safely say that the things I've said are generally true for any position. It is because of these factors that lower tiered employees are nearing retirement age and are in a state of, "Yeah, that's a big problem, but it won't be my problem for long". Concurrently, management seeks to use Temps whenever possible, as much as possible - 75% of the employees in this facility are temporary, and thus have no investment in the company.

Hughes is not a place to stay. Hughes is not a nurturing environment. Hughes is not beneficial to your career aspects.

If you are looking for a dead end for your career, then Hughes is for you. – less
Nice people
Sales IT Support Intern (Former Employee), Germantown, MDMarch 2, 2015
Typical office with people who enjoy what they do and do it with a smile. Everyone worked well together and were willing to help those who needed it.
HNS
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee), North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: relaxed work environment
Cons: benefits have been getting worse over time
Logging into my workstation and reviewing daily tasks and any needed installations. Taking calls, monitoring alarms, maintaining systems, and rebuilding those that fail.

I've learned to handle a broader array of technical issues and problems than before.

My coworkers are some of the most interesting people I've ever met, they all have their own story, and each of them brings something new and interesting to the table.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with poor planners. Having to redo installations because someone didn't get the specifications right the first time.

The most important part of the job is how it is not the same every day. There's something new to do and learn.
Great place to learn
DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2015
Lots of projects, great technical people, lot to learn. Global work environment. Good communication between senior management and employees. Cutting edge satellite based projects.
Very productive and an work under pressure
Technician & Team Lead (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
I learned new things at work everyday. What i did not like about the work is that I worked long shifts and used to lift heavy objects but i got used to it after sometime. My co-workers were amazing.
Better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission
Senior Sales Director, Business Services (Current Employee), Germantown, MDJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: innovation
Culture of innovation in technology and corp culture. I grew up on MCI and will treasure my experiences there.

Company was is now part of Verizon but went through a rough patch under leadership of Bernie Ebbers. 1984-1998 were a great period to be in telecom.
A Day of work
Technical Specialist (Former Employee), Germantown, MDOctober 2, 2014
Pros: caffeteria
Cons: i don't like it when someone does not hold up to their word.
Come into the office, have the morning chat of the days activities and things to be done. I like to go look at what it is I am going to do and scot what I am going to need and what I am going to have to do to get the job done. Then I go gather all items I am going to need to complete my work. I complete my job then fill out the necessary paperwork to complete the days works then go home. I do like to complete work I start and do not like to leave a job unfinished. If I do not finish that day, I like to leave at a point to where I can come in and easily pick right back up.
started out with networking
Network Operations Technician (Former Employee), Germantown, MDSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great team
learned a lot about networking and the business practices of integrated network systems
great engineering company
Documentation Manager (Former Employee), Germantown, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: quarterly parties, christmas party
see resume for job responsibilities. I had a great manager. I supported the entire software engineering department including the Sr. VP of SW engineering.

Had great co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I established while at HNS.
Good place to start your career
Lead Mechanical Engineer - Product Development (Current Employee), Germantown, MDAugust 8, 2014
Good place to start your career right out of school. Get a lot of responsibility and get to learn from long-tenured engineers. Benefits and salary are not competitive though.
production and repair ,assemble
Electronic Assembler and Repair (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJune 3, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: 15 minute break
Accomplishments; Noted by managers for demontrating high efficiency, working whit complex technical equipement repair and maintenance.
Was great before Echostar
Principal Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Germantown, MDMay 15, 2014
This used to be a great company, until Echostar bought them. Benefits have been slashed to the bare minimum and people are generally unhappy.
Good development work
Principal Engineer (Former Employee), Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: job work
Cons: compensation
Opportunity to do development work and great work/life balance.
Its ok
Intern (Former Employee), Germantown, MDDecember 1, 2013
Its ok. The company is a good work place to learn. My supervisor is very knowledgeable and was able to communicate well. But the company has its own challenges.
Great team to work with
Warranty Repair Technician (Former Employee), Gaithersburgh, mdOctober 14, 2013
THe warranty section pretty much ran itself without much input from management. It was a great team that was self-motivated and highly skilled.
Hughes has changed since I worked there.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Germantown, MDJune 25, 2013
When I worked at Hughes, it was great. The company has been sold to EchoStar so I can't really comment on how it is run any longer. I have tons of friends there who are not looking to leave but they say that the culture has changed dramatically.
Great Company, Great benefits, great people
Wireline Provisioning Administrator (Current Employee), Germantown, MDMay 28, 2013
Hughes has been a great company to work for. They provide training classes and have a full service cafeteria. They offer Vacation time and sick days.
Educational
Move product from pre-stage warehouse (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDMay 11, 2013
Being a bridge between line assemblers and warehouse;
Doing perpetual inventory and make sure theoretical quantities matches with physical one.
I always enjoyed this job.
good growth opportunities
Principal Accountant (Current Employee), Gaithersburg MarylandApril 28, 2013
excellent learning experience, work llife balance is not so good,diversified culture,

About Hughes Network Systems

Hughes Network Systems¬†wrote the book on satellite data and Internet access network services. The pioneering company is a leading – Read more

Hughes Network Systems Salaries