Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews in United States

Great company that is declining after Echostar purchase
Satellite Network Field Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJune 20, 2016
Great company with dedicated employees. Great morale is gone, needs to be concerned with it more. Can be a great place again if improved.
great learning experience for web design
Intern (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 1, 2016
Create various aspects of a website to keep track of multiple networks. I learned how to use PHP, python, and front-end web development (html, css, javascript). I worked with a small team to convert and combine old tools into one new website. The hardest part was the very beginning when I wasn't familiar with php or python. The most enjoyable part was seeing what I was making and how it improved the site.
great place to learn
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 6, 2016
great place to start a career. Lots to learn. Great managers. Compensation may be slightly on the lower side, but the job is secure and stable. Lots of innovative things are done and the employees are kept abreast of developments. Pretty transparent. Innovation is encouraged.
Good place to work for
Member technical staff (Current Employee) –  Germantown ,MDOctober 5, 2015
Good place to work for for Entry level people and can learn a lot.
People are enthusiastic and the system is very complex.
Network Engineer
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 30, 2015
Interaction with the colleagues on the team leads to the maximum learning due to their experience and makes it a great environment to work.
work place
Lab Technician III (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 10, 2015
I started working with the company this month and i really like the place and the management. the place is good for someone who is getting into in career because thee are a lot of things to learn there.
A Dead End for your Career
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 24, 2015
If you have given up on progressing professionally, you should immediately apply to Hughes Network Systems. Please let me be clear, I am speaking only of the Gaithersburg facility, as I cannot speak to the Germantown facility or the Lake Forest facility.

Management is very heavy - you will meet more people with "Senior" or "Principal" in their titles than you will meet anyone else. However, there is a management fear and frenzy structure, as in upper management will pat themselves on the back until a flaw arises. It is then that everyone is whipped into working on that task and out of fear and constant micromanaging they drop all their other obligations to work on this new assignment. Once that is fixed, it appears that another flaw floats to the top, due to neglected tasks or a failing infrastructure.

Yes, the managing style of HNS in Gaithersburg is based on a whim, not on calculated scenarios or FMEA reports (yes, this company gloats about its Six Sigma but operates closer to 3 or 4 sigma at best).

In a typical day, you will spend 50% of your time going through and generating reports or getting around red tape for tasks that are not only redundantly redundant, but inherently useless. About 40% of your time will be spent correcting the work of your colleagues, past and present. You will try your best to safeguard, but management will only provide so many resources.

Finally, because of the fear of management and the constant contact, instituting reforms is very difficult, especially if it goes between departments, as the upper management acts as if their department
  more... is an independent entity that is the sole breadwinner of the facility, and all others must adapt to them.

I have worked with others from all the departments in the facility and can safely say that the things I've said are generally true for any position. It is because of these factors that lower tiered employees are nearing retirement age and are in a state of, "Yeah, that's a big problem, but it won't be my problem for long". Concurrently, management seeks to use Temps whenever possible, as much as possible - 75% of the employees in this facility are temporary, and thus have no investment in the company.

Hughes is not a place to stay. Hughes is not a nurturing environment. Hughes is not beneficial to your career aspects.

If you are looking for a dead end for your career, then Hughes is for you.
Pros
Decent benefits package
Cons
Micromanaging from knee-jerk management, limited resources for employees, little job growth
Nice place to work
Engineer II - Systems (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 4, 2015
Good place to work .. people are nice .. Management needs to consider benefits for the employees working during odd hours
Nice people
Sales IT Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 2, 2015
Typical office with people who enjoy what they do and do it with a smile. Everyone worked well together and were willing to help those who needed it.
Hns
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2015
Logging into my workstation and reviewing daily tasks and any needed installations. Taking calls, monitoring alarms, maintaining systems, and rebuilding those that fail.

I've learned to handle a broader array of technical issues and problems than before.

My coworkers are some of the most interesting people I've ever met, they all have their own story, and each of them brings something new and interesting to the table.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with poor planners. Having to redo installations because someone didn't get the specifications right the first time.

The most important part of the job is how it is not the same every day. There's something new to do and learn.
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
benefits have been getting worse over time
Great place to learn
DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2015
Lots of projects, great technical people, lot to learn. Global work environment. Good communication between senior management and employees. Cutting edge satellite based projects.
Very productive and an work under pressure
Technician & Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 28, 2015
I learned new things at work everyday. What i did not like about the work is that I worked long shifts and used to lift heavy objects but i got used to it after sometime. My co-workers were amazing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission
Senior Sales Director, Business Services (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDJanuary 6, 2015
Culture of innovation in technology and corp culture. I grew up on MCI and will treasure my experiences there.

Company was is now part of Verizon but went through a rough patch under leadership of Bernie Ebbers. 1984-1998 were a great period to be in telecom.
Pros
innovation
A Day of work
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDOctober 2, 2014
Come into the office, have the morning chat of the days activities and things to be done. I like to go look at what it is I am going to do and scot what I am going to need and what I am going to have to do to get the job done. Then I go gather all items I am going to need to complete my work. I complete my job then fill out the necessary paperwork to complete the days works then go home. I do like to complete work I start and do not like to leave a job unfinished. If I do not finish that day, I like to leave at a point to where I can come in and easily pick right back up.
Pros
caffeteria
Cons
i don't like it when someone does not hold up to their word.
started out with networking
Network Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 4, 2014
learned a lot about networking and the business practices of integrated network systems
Pros
great team
great engineering company
Documentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDSeptember 3, 2014
see resume for job responsibilities. I had a great manager. I supported the entire software engineering department including the Sr. VP of SW engineering.

Had great co workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I established while at HNS.
Pros
quarterly parties, christmas party
Good place to start your career
Lead Mechanical Engineer - Product Development (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 8, 2014
Good place to start your career right out of school. Get a lot of responsibility and get to learn from long-tenured engineers. Benefits and salary are not competitive though.
production and repair ,assemble
Electronic Assembler and Repair (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 3, 2014
Accomplishments; Noted by managers for demontrating high efficiency, working whit complex technical equipement repair and maintenance.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
15 minute break
Was great before Echostar
Principal Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 15, 2014
This used to be a great company, until Echostar bought them. Benefits have been slashed to the bare minimum and people are generally unhappy.
Good development work
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 21, 2014
Opportunity to do development work and great work/life balance.
Pros
job work
Cons
compensation