HuHot Mongolian Grill Employee Reviews in United States

high school all over again
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 22, 2016
Although I thought I had a good job I didn't quite fit in and found it to be like high school over again. Cant keep good help and the turnover in management is exhausting. Poor hiring and poor management and un professional. the staff all hate the customers and make fun of them behind their backs. The pay cant even support a family let alone one person. Management even though are salary your working for a breakdown of about $10 and hour.
Pros
free meals, free uniform
Cons
no breaks, poor pay, and drama
Great concept with good value and family focus
Assitant Manager/Front of the house Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CODecember 24, 2015
I work with an excellent management team.
My general manager, regional manager and franchise owner are some of the best I've ever worked for.
We have an excellent group of team members that are fun and know how to treat people and each other.
Huhot Mongolian Grill is definitely a "hands on" management position which is the best and most challenging part about my job. As managers we do everything from front to back of the house and we are one of the busiest HuHots in the nation.
We also have an excellent regular guests that make it enjoyable to work there.
Pros
The owner and management
Cons
Salary and benifits
Sub-par work environment, Job required two people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MN 55902March 16, 2016
Work days were extremely busy trying to stay ahead of the steady stream of incoming dishes. Although I was allotted 15 minute breaks every 4 hours, I never took them as it would only make the back-up of dishes worse. Most days, when I arrived, the dishes would already be stacked in massive piles on the counter and the floor. The job really required two people, but only one dishwasher was scheduled per day. Although I did receive help, it was typically forced, even when other employees were not at all busy. Overall, the environment was one of "every man for himself" and the management did not help things. Would not recommend.
Pros
Was given about 10 free meals in as many weeks because of extra tasks
Cons
Extra tasks included: scrubbing walls, scrubbing trash room, scrubbing mold out of the freezer...
Everyone's replaceable
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 4, 2016
Worst company I've ever worked for. Doesn't matter how hard you work or how good you are, they'll tell you You're replaceable. Management has no respect for employees and no idea how to run a successful business. They hire out of desperation then don't train new employees properly. I do not recommend working or eating here.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many to list
Poor performance
Server (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 15, 2016
Working at HuHot I felt like I was being taken advantage of. There were a few of the other servers who got special treatment and didn't get berated for not completing their work. If we tried to stick up for ourselves we got marked.

I did have fun though. Met a lot of nice and different people. Liked that it kept me physically on my feet.

The hardest part of the job was just trying to deal with the drama from everyone else. Felt like i was back in high school.
Pros
Fun atmopshere
Cons
poor management
Great people and assistant managers but terrible boss
Host and Line management (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 29, 2016
their is not much to say about hu-hot except that they have great food and (at least where i was) a bad boss who did not pay that well working about 25 hours per week i made a little more than a hundred every two weeks
Pros
free meal fun people good work
Cons
no breaks, the boss was hard to work with and terrible pay
Productive and fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COMarch 7, 2016
Although I truly enjoy serving, I have come to a point in my life where I just want to find my path as a successful writer. I enjoyed the company of each and every table. While my energy was always high, I pranced around the restaurant with a positive attitude eager to satisfy the guest and make money.
Pros
Fast money
Cons
No breaks
Bad Managment
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 6, 2016
Bad management, Over worked, Under payed, No respect, can't keep staff, to many changes. There are no intensives and no one whats to work here. I have been here for a year and a half and I am still treated like I am replaceable, But they cant hire/ keep people.
Good organization, stores vary
Griller (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIDecember 18, 2015
A typical day at HuHot consisted of punching in and getting right on the grill. In Wausau this usually meant getting right to work with lots customers and jumping right into action with cooking and tricks for the guests. I had lots of coworkers with strong work ethic that involved fast, professional and entertaining work on the grill, no exceptions. When I transferred to the Eau Claire store, I found a plethora of problematic practices, including over half of the grill employees who had terrible work ethic and were not entertaining for the guests. Many of their cooking and cleaning practices were also not up to corporate standards or in keeping with corporate guidelines, which was ultimately a large part of why I left the company. The hardest part of job was moving to a new store where the standards and traffic flow were much lower. As a tip earning job, it was difficult to continue making the same amount of money that I was used to, and the jobs did not keep me busy enough. The most enjoyable part was definitely the experience of meeting and talking to so many new people every day. I loved the management at the Wausau store and they exemplify, to me, everything that should be present in great management. At the Eau Claire store, while not quite as exemplary, did a fine job with the employment pool they had to work with.
Pros
Good pay, fun environment
Cons
Inconsistenty in standards fro location to location
Great team environment
Hostess/Busser/Prep (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 21, 2016
Everyone lends a hand and provides support and encouragement to one another. From the general manager to the dishwasher no one is above another and each helps out where needed.
Some people should not own a restaurant
Employee (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 17, 2014
Terrible place to work. The owners have no idea how to run a business and even brag that they can "make people cry:" There policies are inconsistent and their son who was given the title of "Director of Operations" has nothing to do all day but continuously change forms, policies and do things to make the job more difficult. They promote people do not train them properly and then cut their salary dramatically when they can't do the job exactly how they want it done. They give employees raises and take them away, they tell managers to fire people but then get mad if the turn over is high. The owners often complain that they wish they had never opened a restaurant in Joplin and how much they can't stand their employees. DO NOT WORK HERE. Your only sitting yourself up for a job that will make you miserable.
Pros
food is good
Cons
everything, no benefits for anyone, ask you to violate laws
Fun place to work
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 22, 2015
I really enjoy working here the management is fun and so are the employees. For the most part people understand that there is a time to work and there's a time to play. It really is a fun place to work. The schedules can be a little random but you get used to it and getting time off is to difficult.
Pros
Free Meal per shifts, Employee discount, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Random Schedules, A lot of high school aged employees
Very Challenging
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTOctober 17, 2015
This position was challenging only because of the amount of micromanagement above me. I was very limited on how I could perform my duties because of the amount of pressure from above.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
no healthcare, micromanaged
worst job so far
Cook (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTNovember 22, 2015
they didnt care about the workers being me and my friend both were burnt really bad at the grill and they didnt care and made us keep working didnt care to allow me to go get something to wrap my hand in or anything so i just quit
Cons
really disliked the whole place
It was a fun job but not well organized
Lead Hostess/ Server (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 14, 2013
I enjoyed the people that I worked with at HuHot. The morals of the employees weren't as high as I had hopped and the management was not as structured as it could have been. I enjoyed my job but decided to leave due to getting engaged and needing to move. It was a great experience working with them.
Pros
had two great managers out of the four, discounts on the food, was able to interact with guests.
Cons
two of the managers weren't the best leaders, employees swore and yelled all the time, enviornment was not as friendly as it could have been, no benifits
Fun work enviornment
Server (Former Employee) –  Rib Mountain, WINovember 6, 2015
Was able to provide a fun and exciting experience for all of the guests. Loved being to meet new people and interacting with them each and every day. Every day was different and provided me with new challenges.
Pros
many breaks
Cons
short notice on how long shift would be
Very fun and exciting family friendly atmosphere to work.
Supervisor/Trainer/Server/Cook (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 11, 2012
I started out as a server working approximately 60 hours a week during the grand opening, and loved it. I was quickly promoted in early January for both my skill as a server, and my professionalism.
As a supervisor, the managers and the owner taught me things that would benefit me there, and will continue to benefit me for the rest of my life. I have to say the most fun i had was working along side the employees, and earning their respect by helping them whenever they needed it.
Pros
clean, fun, customers always happy
Cons
no benefits, compensation was below normal.
Fun job/ disorganized and chaotic at times.
Server/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COAugust 3, 2015
The work is easy and accessible, and the teamwork between coworkers is unparalleled. The management does a poor job of communicating with each other, which leads to chaotic shifts. Luckily the team members are always willing to help each other.
Waste of time
Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  TulsaMay 28, 2015
This job is disgusting and pointless. I made about enough money to get gas to get myself to work everyday. They have a new manager every 3 months or so.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Inconsistent Management
Productive Workplace
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 24, 2012
Learned every facet of the marketing department for the HuHot restaurant. Co-workers are all very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
great staff, helpful peers, strong company, well organized, cool office
Cons
no compensation