Human Development Center Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work with a variety of tasks
Admissions/Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 8, 2015
Overall this is a good company. I enjoy helping people and have many years experience in the customer service field. I have learned many new things about the admissions process, insurance verification, scheduling appointments and handling issues with clients.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
Wage is not in line with responsibilities and benefits cost too much and are lacking for coverages.
Human Development Center is a very good job company to work for
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 8, 2015
Human Development Center staff is outgoing and friendly, I learned a lot from working at this company. I will be taking my experience with me and utilizing it on my career job.
Mental Health Facility
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNFebruary 10, 2015
Full time position
Post payment and send out medical claims
Management is very positive in training
Co workers are positive and helpful to others
Pros
great place to work
Lack of support and concern for others
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 20, 2015
I enjoy working for and with my clients. I wish that I could do more to help my clients, however, my voice and concerns will not be heard or taken into consideration.
Pros
my clients
Cons
no company support
To work with at risk youth and their families. Assisting youth and families on strageties and techniqes that will moditify negavtive behaviors.
Peer Support Specialist/Crisis Stabilizer, Mentor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WisconsinJanuary 1, 2015
Typical work day is never the same the job is 24/7. There was really no start time due to families being in need of crisis services at different times. What I have learned in servicing the families that I serviced is that these families are no different than others. But they have their own version of living life, and coping with those issues. They don't need to be told what to do, just thought how to think up other ways of communicating. As to avoid a negative remark I will not be commenting on the management/co-workers. I mainly operated on a independent mature except for the teams I was assigned to. The hardest part of the job was the governments involvement and regulations that put caps on therapy sessions of not covering a treatment that has been effective due time limits on services. The most enjoyable part for me if the job I would have to say is the completion services, report cards, reunifications, adoptions, and progress the families and children make.
Pros
anger management sessions available for all family members.
Cons
no comment
Case Mgt
Team Lead/Board Member/Youth & Family Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2014
I was a team leader and a case worker. I learned everything I know to this date withing social service field. I learned how to go above and beyond to assist todays families and reach those goals. I was also part of the agency mgtand the co workers were all cool to work with as i still have a healthy relationship with majority of them. The hardest part of the job was helping someone that didnt want to help themselves almost wanting to give up. The most enjoyable part of the job were the perks and being able to perform many social rec activities with the community setting while earning income and traveling many places.
Laid back, relaxed workplace
Human Resources Assistant at HDC (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2014
I love working at HDC. The staff is friendly and laid back, without micromanaging or negative attitude. I am always comfortable with interacting with coworkers or asking questions. The hardest part of the job is having to reorganize the entire human resources department because the previous HR manager was was not well organized. The most enjoyable part is working with the other staff there. I get along with them easily and it makes for a less stressful day. I learned how to operate all of the office equipment there and also a great deal of how the human resources department operates.
Pros
keurig machine, great coworkers, not a stressful position
Cons
temporary position, older building and technology (hdc is nonprofit)
Productive work place
Crisis Stabilizer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 15, 2014
A typical day at work for me is being with children that have been in the system and need guidance in their lives. Our children are seriously hurt. Management is there to help in anyway they are able. Co-Worker are a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of my job is getting these children to love themselves. Being able to help our future.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
a lot of driving
human development center
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Arkadelphia, ARApril 20, 2013
a typical day at the human development center is very interesting because you never know whats in store for you because you work with people with mental disabilitys. what i learned at the human development center is how to care for people with special needs.
the co workers there were very friendly and informational. the hardest part of the job is when the people of special needs start to act up and you have to get them back under control by giving them there medicine. the most enjoyable part is seeing the people of special needs have fun.
I liked my job when I was first hired
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 7, 2013
In my opinion I enjoyed working with the clients I would come in contact with while at HDC. I enjoyed the aspect that I was part of helping people. HDC had a very hard time with communication on all levels. They seem to have a different idea of what people need to know in order to perform their job. There is no formal training, and you are basically thrown right into your job with the expectation that you should know what you are doing. They constantly overwork, underpay, and criticize your performance, even though you are overworked, they criticize your performance. They don't value their employees, and when their employees have something to say, they don't take it into consideration. They call people liars to their face when they ask the employee to explain a particular situation from their point of view, and they aren't professional with how they discipline their employees. I was put on a suspension right in a public waiting area of where I used to work, for something that was later deemed not misconduct. They have an extremely high turnover, and cannot keep people employed there. Management changes in the blink of an eye. I was with this company for 5 years, and had 3 different supervisors. One of the Supervisory changes was because I accepted another position within the company after they totally changed my job location, and what I was originally hired for. The first supervisor I had was the best! The second one was good, and the third supervisor I had was so full of herself, even though she was only with the company for about as long as me. Most of the time, my days went  more... by fast with the scheduling, registering, phone calls. There were some days where it was slow. The hardest part of my job was dealing with disgruntled co-workers who didn't want to do their job, then when you did something about it, you got in trouble for it. They were constantly changing policies about things, and communication was lacking very extremely. No positive reinforcement from my last supervisor, only negative. People constantly complain about their jobs there, and people constantly get fired and let go for doing their job well, even though someone else said you weren't. I learned a lot from this position. I have obtained a lot of useful skills in the last 5 years, but I probably wouldn't work for a company that is so disorganized like this again. In this company, unless you are a favorite, or management, you are not important. I was also due for my 5 year raise, and they decided not to give people their raises until a year later, so when my 5 year mark came around, I wasn't even given my appropriate raise, and would have had to wait until April of this year (2013) to even see it. They tell you they are family oriented, yet when you have family stuff to deal with in your own life, they get down on you for being gone, or missing work so much; same goes for if you are sick. They got rid of company wide bonuses. Whenever they would make money, they used to do a profit share, where everyone would get a check for an equal amount, dividing the company profit, being they were non-profit. However, they decided to go to a performance based bonus, that they made impossible for people to receive. All in all, they have a negative review from me, and I know several who have left there that would agree.  less
Pros
flexible with lunch break
Cons
weak union, health care, extreme lack of communication between administration and employees
management not to be trusted
billing clerk (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 1, 2013
It is unbelievable that a Mental Health Company can have such a ruthless Human Resources Department. I found that many supervisors were willing to throw staff under the bus without a thought. Fabricated and false information is slipped into employees records and the supervisors are blindly believed without any support given to targeted employees. If a person is given an opportunity to defend themselves against false accusations, they are then accused of dishonesty. I was instructed to "act happy" after witnessing several terribly unfair terminations based on false accusations.
High Job Security But Poor Work Culture
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duluth MNOctober 16, 2012
This is a mental health organization. It is unionized so the job is pretty secure once you get off probation. The main problem is that the company has very high expectations for "productivity", which essentially means time you can bill to the insurance company. This is certainly understandable but they also harp on you about client care. The only time they care about client care is if you can bill out enough hours.
Pros
day hours only, union, good benefits compared to private sector
Cons
poor culture - lots of unhappy people.
Mental Health Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 7, 2012
Fun place to work with great people. Very rewarding working with clients of all different ages and backgrounds.
Pros
great supervisors, flexibility
Cons
wages
Document everything
Administrative Assistant/Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNAugust 24, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all of the wonderful clients and seeing them excel in their goals.

I have been able to excel in my computer skills and data entry skills and learn so much about mental illness.

I have learned more about Dictatorship
Pros
awesome clients & awesome grant vendors
Cons
prefer not to say
Very relaxed workplace
Crisis Prevention Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 23, 2012
Good Management, nice workplace, no micro management. Very open as far as how to meet goals and perform job duties
Great place
Crisis worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 21, 2012
Great place for anyone. Great enviroment and organization

2.8