Human Rights Watch Employee Reviews

Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2017
Human Rights Watch is an excellent place to work at. The people that work there are all wonderful passionate people all with incredible experience and great points of view.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Not enough to do
Productive & Inspiring
Research Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2016
Hard work, but worth all of it because I am changes lives. Must be dedicated and ready to work long tireless hours. May have to work from home. Benefits include: meetings with prominent people in the international sphere.
Challanging and Heartbreaking
Human Rights Activist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2016
I gather background information on medical and security staff in county and state jails in Louisiana. The hardest part is listening at how these inmates are being denied healthcare with such serious medical illnesses.
Great Place to Intern
Development and Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
Good guidance and great work environment to learn. People are communicative and want you to succeed. The intern program gives you the opportunity to talk about your experience with other interns and work with other HRW interns around the world.
Pros
Meetings with all departments, Check on your resume, Have the opportunity to attend talks
Cons
Sometimes hard to see the bigger picture
ok
United Nations Advocacy Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Great Human Rights Organization dedicated to serving the rights of all categories of people, classes, cultures, and religions.
Great experience
Advocacy Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2014
Had the opportunity to learn high-level advocacy from the best in the business. Worked on a Refugees Division report to completion.
Productive team fundraising and event planning team
Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2014
Responsible for supporting and guiding special projects in the areas of advocacy, education, outreach and development for the Los Angeles office of Human Rights Watch
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining communication with HRW constituents - and occasionally with HRW researchers and East Coast based staff - and participate in HRW Los Angeles' special events (class/work schedule permitting)
• Assisting the LA Network with initiatives and events
• Helping to plan events in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, including Human Rights Watch's annual Voices for Justice Dinner and LA Film Club Screenings
• Management is enthusiastic about their work and have a willingness to you accomplish your goals.
• The hardest part of the job is notifying an individual that we can not help individual human rights violation cases because we are simply a watchdog organization, but we provide them with referral information of others that may be able to assist them.
Productive and great time with my co-workers
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Go to work, enter my office and use the computer. Do researches on International Justice. I have great co-workers and they are really helpful. My job is not really hard because i enjoy doing researches that are challenging. I'm always getting great result for the fight against impunity.
Pros
Free visits to the top of Empire State Building
Cons
N/a
An amazing experience to learn how Human Rights Watch functions
Development Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 17, 2013
As a graduate student currently finishing his last month at this internship, I can say that my expectations interning at the Human Rights Watch Development and Outreach office in San Francisco have been met. The office fulfills its duties by keeping their donors informed and pleased with the work the organization's researchers perform.

As an development outreach intern, my duties were to conduct prospect research on potential donors as well as maintain the office's day-to-day operations. Tasks that are given to me by my supervisor are both challenging and fun. It is fantastic to work with such enthusiastic people who are passionate about the organization's goals by informing the public of human rights abuses around the world and their mission to defend said rights.

It is an honor to work with such a highly renowned organization committed to defending human rights worldwide.
Pros
Meet human rights defenders and researchers, attend special events
The culture of HRW is really great
Intern in the Department of Finance Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
During the internship, I was primarily involved a consist of focusing on ongoing projects such as helping to reconcile international bank accounts by identifying missing items; reporting to cities on the revenue booked on their behalf; confirming that Raiser’s Edge (fundraising software) reconciles; tracking revenue adjustments and confirming changes are made in both databases; reviewing account levels for disproportionate amounts; expense reporting to cities at various intervals; and audit prep work for cities like NY and London.
Pros
good location and great company culture
Cons
keeping busy all the time
Great Job For Work Study Program
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2013
This company is a non-profit company that helps out people with various crisis...from domestic disputes, to deportee issues. They refer them to the best lawyers to help with their situation. I was a receptionist and covered the phone lines as well as cases that came through email. The company was a real nice and laid back atmosphere of people who truly worked well with each other...made the days smooth.