Human Rights Watch

Human Rights Watch United States Employee Reviews

Productive team fundraising and event planning team
Intern (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2014
Responsible for supporting and guiding special projects in the areas of advocacy, education, outreach and development for the Los Angeles office of Human Rights Watch
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining communication with HRW constituents - and occasionally with HRW researchers and East Coast based staff - and participate in HRW Los Angeles' special events (class/work schedule permitting)
• Assisting the LA Network with initiatives and events
• Helping to plan events in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, including Human Rights Watch's annual Voices for Justice Dinner and LA Film Club Screenings
• Management is enthusiastic about their work and have a willingness to you accomplish your goals.
• The hardest part of the job is notifying an individual that we can not help individual human rights violation cases because we are simply a watchdog organization, but we provide them with referral information of others that may be able to assist them.
Productive and great time with my co-workers
Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: free visits to the top of empire state building
Cons: n/a
Go to work, enter my office and use the computer. Do researches on International Justice. I have great co-workers and they are really helpful. My job is not really hard because i enjoy doing researches that are challenging. I'm always getting great result for the fight against impunity.
Interesting place to work
Bloomberg Fellow (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 7, 2014
Good colleagues.
Good place to learn and grow.
Good management.
Good job culture.
An amazing experience to learn how Human Rights Watch functions
Development Outreach Intern (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 17, 2013
Pros: meet human rights defenders and researchers, attend special events
As a graduate student currently finishing his last month at this internship, I can say that my expectations interning at the Human Rights Watch Development and Outreach office in San Francisco have been met. The office fulfills its duties by keeping their donors informed and pleased with the work the organization's researchers perform.

As an development outreach intern, my duties were to conduct prospect research on potential donors as well as maintain the office's day-to-day operations. Tasks that are given to me by my supervisor are both challenging and fun. It is fantastic to work with such enthusiastic people who are passionate about the organization's goals by informing the public of human rights abuses around the world and their mission to defend said rights.

It is an honor to work with such a highly renowned organization committed to defending human rights worldwide.
The culture of HRW is really great
Intern in the Department of Finance Operations (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: good location and great company culture
Cons: keeping busy all the time
During the internship, I was primarily involved a consist of focusing on ongoing projects such as helping to reconcile international bank accounts by identifying missing items; reporting to cities on the revenue booked on their behalf; confirming that Raiser’s Edge (fundraising software) reconciles; tracking revenue adjustments and confirming changes are made in both databases; reviewing account levels for disproportionate amounts; expense reporting to cities at various intervals; and audit prep work for cities like NY and London.
Great Job For Work Study Program
Receptionist (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 25, 2013
This company is a non-profit company that helps out people with various crisis...from domestic disputes, to deportee issues. They refer them to the best lawyers to help with their situation. I was a receptionist and covered the phone lines as well as cases that came through email. The company was a real nice and laid back atmosphere of people who truly worked well with each other...made the days smooth.
Travail très enrichissant
Assistant de recherche (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 24, 2014
Travailler pour HRW cela signifie travailler pour la communauté internationale. Rendez vous au bureau afin de traiter les dernières dépositions de violation des droits de l'homme, en parallèle, le téléphone est toujours susceptible de sonner afin de répondre aux appels à l'aide des victimes ou des familles de victimes.
En parallèle, je m'occupe de tout l'aspect logistique: administration, gestion des prochaines conférences de presse.
Travailler pour HRW signifie mettre sa vie au service de certaines valeurs: le respect des êtres vivants, la loyauté, le désintérêt et le courage de défendre les libertés fondamentales même dans un pays en dictature.
Le travail ne s'achève pas une fois rentré chez soi, car je reste toujours à l'écoute des personnes qui en ont besoin.
L'environnement de travail est très agréable, cette organisation étant présente sur tous les continents, il existe une solidarité évidente entre tous les collègues de travail.
L'aspect le plus difficile est de savoir définir sa place entre le militant des droits de l'homme et l'employé pour les droits de l'homme. Sur ce plan la, j'avance avec efficacité et discrétion.
Le plus agréable dans ce poste c'est l'aide aux personnes. Si jamais nous avançons en équipe pour arriver à protéger des personnes, alors la il en ressort une fierté et une détermination avouable.

About Human Rights Watch

Human Rights Watch is a nonprofit, nongovernmental human rights organization made up of more than 300 staff members around the – Read more