Human Services Employee Reviews

So/so
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXMay 6, 2017
Not much to say good or bad I needed a job and its the only one I could find helpful enough with school pays my car note and keeps my phone on good job for a young person not someone with a heap of bills
Place was business like with warm and caring attitudes.
Assistant to Program Manager as an intern (Former Employee) –  MedAssist of MecklengburgJanuary 24, 2017
My human service experience involved working with people from multiple backgrounds, and providing a need for people that brought relief to them. I also went into the community representing the company at health fairs. This let seniors know that our services existed and was available to them. I attended board meeting with the manager and saw how strategies for fun raising were implemented.
Pros
Being able to be a part of making a positive difference in someones life.
Cons
Realizing just how much need there is in our communities and not being able to help everyone.
Great
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 19, 2017
Direct Support is a great position as you are modeling and educating people with developmental disabilities to make their lives richer.
Pros
Enrichment working within this culture
Cons
Money
productive
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Belknap, MTJanuary 18, 2017
Strict confidentiality at all times. I learned how to handle multiple tasks in high traffic conditions. My co-workers were great and easy to get along with.
Pros
free lunches
School program
Student (Former Employee) –  FLCCJanuary 2, 2017
The Human Services program is a good program that encompasses many different genres of the work force. It is a good degree to obtain.
Good learning experience
Family Service Worker Department (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2016
Co-workers were great but the upper management could have used some classes in professionalism in the workplace. Some of my work task were enjoyable. Overall the experience was useful.
Pros
Learning Opportunities
Cons
communication within management
Caring Employee
Facility Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 1, 2016
Company needs to be more caring and compassionate towards employees. Overworked and underpaid. No advancement and poor management.
exciting and interesting
kitchen member (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 10, 2016
A typical day at work for me would look like me being on time or coming in early. At this job I learned how to be more patient and how to be more patient with people. I feel some of my co-workers had attitudes but I learned how to deal with them and I learned more about them and what causes their attitudes, however most of my co-workers were very generous, exciting, and humorous people. I would have to say that the hardest part of my job was having to deal with others attitudes and then I had to go home with an attitude. however I did enjoy meeting new people and having conversations with guest. I really did enjoy learning more about restaurant's too.
Pros
free lunches and meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
Learning Experience
Clothing Closet/Pantry Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UtahMay 20, 2016
Schedule peoples days out. Learned that alot of people are going without food and clothing and more. Management taught me to have a heart like Jesus and to love the unloved, to pray for the broken, to give to the poor. Co-workers were hard-working people. They led difficult lives many of them did anyhow. The were so poor they worked there for free food and clothing. The hardest part of the job was to leave the problems of people at work and to not bring the problems home and think about these families in need that we couldn't supply all their needs and wishing we could do more for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see peoples face light up when you found them an outfit that fit them and that they could wear somewhere. The joy and relief you saw on peoples faces when they received food boxes and clothing. Knowing you helped someone get their needs met made you feel good and the job kept you humble when dealing with really poor people.
Pros
Worked Part-Time, Got to pray for people, free clothing
Cons
Bearing others' burdens
fun place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 14, 2016
i would receive data to be entered into the computer for the sole purpose of having all the data from paper uploaded to the comuter.
Pros
long lunch
Cons
In-home care for the elderly and disabled through the state of Oregon
Caregiver Department (Former Employee) –  La Pine, ORDecember 1, 2015
Rewarding work helping elderly and disabled people.
Comfortable setting because it's in the client's home.
Decent pay and hours, though it depends on the patient and at times it's been only part-time.
Pros
Comfortable setting, emotionally rewarding
Cons
Job insecurity due to health issues/age of client, sometimes low amount of hours
Good Employment with Cuyahoga County Employment and Family Services
Caseworker/early retirement (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 2, 2015
I had the opportunity to help individuals in need of services provided by the Federal, State and County Government. Being able to actually help families receive any of those services was a rewarding experience for myself as a Case Manager. I did work well with my fellow co-workers, and supervisors. The hardest part of the job was telling a family in need they were not financially eligible for any of the government programs. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a individual thanked you for either helping them, or even attempting to help them in their time of need.
Pros
Good benefits, set hours.
Cons
Not being able to help everone you interact with.
Stable employment, but low pay
Program Eligibility Specialist Arkansas Department (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasSeptember 17, 2015
It is very fulfilling assisting the citizens to obtain the assistance they need to make it in life. The workload was very heavy and the pay was not so good.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Low pay
Work Review
Child Protective Service Worker Department (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2015
"Great company. Very diverse in jobs and people. Professionals everywhere with great benefits and pay. The benefits are very good and the company is very oriented towards getting employees trained. Very professional. "
A day in the life of an Operations Manager
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDAugust 29, 2015
It is rarely a dull day in the life of an operations manager. Some days it is like trying to herd cats as my co-worker would often describe the people at the program. Despite the organized ciaos, I've managed to learn new skills such as how to work with a "shoe string" budget, negotiate prices with vendors and manage multiple projects at once just to name a few. Also, I've learned that I am not easily broken. With all of the challenges that I've encountered, I've managed to remain with the organization for 5 years.

There are several challenging parts to my job, but I will only name a few. #1) Maintaining the buildings and grounds appearance #2)Maintaining safety throughout each building. The buildings on property have transformed tremendously in both areas, but still need improvements. Many of the buildings were in very poor structural conditions which were serious safety issues for the employees and the residents. Also, there were several fire code violations throughout the buildings that have been corrected.

One of the most enjoyable part of my job is making physical improvements throughout the property such as newly remodeled bathrooms for the residents, routine painting and adding additional lighting for safety. Another enjoyable part of my job is the relationship that I've built with come of my co-workers.
Pros
Free meals, flexible schedules, excellent health benefits
Cons
Financial compensation does not include merrit increases
Challenging yet rewarding
Family Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMay 12, 2015
A typical day a work most likely include responding to various problems within various families, children, resources parents, and even within the division itself. Stress is very high and it's difficult to complete task timely. There are alot of responsibilities and demands from the court system, third party services, and the states administration. Co-worker are supportive and caring. The pay is decent but more needs to be invested in getting resources and facilities as well as more resources need to be created for this county to better serve clients.
Pros
Extra income from travel, Helping vounerable children, friendly work environment, financial and health benefits
Cons
Lack of competent supervision and management of time and cases, being on call after hours, working in crisis mode daily
Fulfilling place to work
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Raymond, MSApril 28, 2015
Interesting, fulfilling, and commitment to educating young people. Students are eager to learn all about technology.
Pros
Small classes, supportive administration
Cons
Must be a disciplinarystrong
Productive and a great learning environment for all social workers
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, MSMarch 28, 2015
This job helped me to become a more competent social worker. It taught me how to handle real life situations. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to connect and learn from other experienced social workers. The management was so awesome!! The supervisor was so educated and professional and never handled situations lightly, she always did a great job at everything she went to do.
Working for the City of Chattanooga was a huge learning experience for me.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 10, 2015
While working with the human services the most important thing for me within a typical work day was the ability to remain positive and upbeat no matter what happens. As the front desk coordinator, I was generally the first person the clients had to talk to whether by phone or physically. Most of our clients have had hard situations and even harder lives. My main job was to prepare them for what they would need during appointments, job training courses, or further assistance paying their bills. The work team environment was one of the best I've seen in a long time. One thing that my team was constantly aware of; I'm always calm even in potentially stressful situations. They always trusted me to make the right decisions The hardest part of the job was making the choice to leave. I told my manager, she cried but said she was happy for me because she thinks that I deserve the best.
Pros
The ability to meet, greet, and assist at least 68% of the city of Chattanooga.
Cons
Accepted employment with the idea that I would become a permanent employee when training was over.
Never a dule moment
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 26, 2015
Working for the MDHS is a very easy job, but stressful. You're meeting different types of people daily with different personalities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.