Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Learning Experience
Clothing Closet/Pantry Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UtahMay 20, 2016
Schedule peoples days out. Learned that alot of people are going without food and clothing and more. Management taught me to have a heart like Jesus and to love the unloved, to pray for the broken, to give to the poor. Co-workers were hard-working people. They led difficult lives many of them did anyhow. The were so poor they worked there for free food and clothing. The hardest part of the job was to leave the problems of people at work and to not bring the problems home and think about these families in need that we couldn't supply all their needs and wishing we could do more for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see peoples face light up when you found them an outfit that fit them and that they could wear somewhere. The joy and relief you saw on peoples faces when they received food boxes and clothing. Knowing you helped someone get their needs met made you feel good and the job kept you humble when dealing with really poor people.
Pros
Worked Part-Time, Got to pray for people, free clothing
Cons
Bearing others' burdens
fun place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 14, 2016
i would receive data to be entered into the computer for the sole purpose of having all the data from paper uploaded to the comuter.
Pros
long lunch
Cons
In-home care for the elderly and disabled through the state of Oregon
Caregiver Department (Former Employee) –  La Pine, ORDecember 1, 2015
Rewarding work helping elderly and disabled people.
Comfortable setting because it's in the client's home.
Decent pay and hours, though it depends on the patient and at times it's been only part-time.
Pros
Comfortable setting, emotionally rewarding
Cons
Job insecurity due to health issues/age of client, sometimes low amount of hours
Good Employment with Cuyahoga County Employment and Family Services
Caseworker/early retirement (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 2, 2015
I had the opportunity to help individuals in need of services provided by the Federal, State and County Government. Being able to actually help families receive any of those services was a rewarding experience for myself as a Case Manager. I did work well with my fellow co-workers, and supervisors. The hardest part of the job was telling a family in need they were not financially eligible for any of the government programs. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a individual thanked you for either helping them, or even attempting to help them in their time of need.
Pros
Good benefits, set hours.
Cons
Not being able to help everone you interact with.
Stable employment, but low pay
Program Eligibility Specialist Arkansas Department (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasSeptember 17, 2015
It is very fulfilling assisting the citizens to obtain the assistance they need to make it in life. The workload was very heavy and the pay was not so good.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Low pay
Work Review
Child Protective Service Worker Department (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2015
"Great company. Very diverse in jobs and people. Professionals everywhere with great benefits and pay. The benefits are very good and the company is very oriented towards getting employees trained. Very professional. "
A day in the life of an Operations Manager
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDAugust 29, 2015
It is rarely a dull day in the life of an operations manager. Some days it is like trying to herd cats as my co-worker would often describe the people at the program. Despite the organized ciaos, I've managed to learn new skills such as how to work with a "shoe string" budget, negotiate prices with vendors and manage multiple projects at once just to name a few. Also, I've learned that I am not easily broken. With all of the challenges that I've encountered, I've managed to remain with the organization for 5 years.

There are several challenging parts to my job, but I will only name a few. #1) Maintaining the buildings and grounds appearance #2)Maintaining safety throughout each building. The buildings on property have transformed tremendously in both areas, but still need improvements. Many of the buildings were in very poor structural conditions which were serious safety issues for the employees and the residents. Also, there were several fire code violations throughout the buildings that have been corrected.

One of the most enjoyable part of my job is making physical improvements throughout the property such as newly remodeled bathrooms for the residents, routine painting and adding additional lighting for safety. Another enjoyable part of my job is the relationship that I've built with come of my co-workers.
Pros
Free meals, flexible schedules, excellent health benefits
Cons
Financial compensation does not include merrit increases
Challenging yet rewarding
Family Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMay 12, 2015
A typical day a work most likely include responding to various problems within various families, children, resources parents, and even within the division itself. Stress is very high and it's difficult to complete task timely. There are alot of responsibilities and demands from the court system, third party services, and the states administration. Co-worker are supportive and caring. The pay is decent but more needs to be invested in getting resources and facilities as well as more resources need to be created for this county to better serve clients.
Pros
Extra income from travel, Helping vounerable children, friendly work environment, financial and health benefits
Cons
Lack of competent supervision and management of time and cases, being on call after hours, working in crisis mode daily
Fulfilling place to work
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Raymond, MSApril 28, 2015
Interesting, fulfilling, and commitment to educating young people. Students are eager to learn all about technology.
Pros
Small classes, supportive administration
Cons
Must be a disciplinarystrong
Productive and a great learning environment for all social workers
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, MSMarch 28, 2015
This job helped me to become a more competent social worker. It taught me how to handle real life situations. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to connect and learn from other experienced social workers. The management was so awesome!! The supervisor was so educated and professional and never handled situations lightly, she always did a great job at everything she went to do.
Working for the City of Chattanooga was a huge learning experience for me.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 10, 2015
While working with the human services the most important thing for me within a typical work day was the ability to remain positive and upbeat no matter what happens. As the front desk coordinator, I was generally the first person the clients had to talk to whether by phone or physically. Most of our clients have had hard situations and even harder lives. My main job was to prepare them for what they would need during appointments, job training courses, or further assistance paying their bills. The work team environment was one of the best I've seen in a long time. One thing that my team was constantly aware of; I'm always calm even in potentially stressful situations. They always trusted me to make the right decisions The hardest part of the job was making the choice to leave. I told my manager, she cried but said she was happy for me because she thinks that I deserve the best.
Pros
the ability to meet, greet, and assist at least 68% of the city of chattanooga.
Cons
accepted employment with the idea that i would become a permanent employee when training was over.
Never a dule moment
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 26, 2015
Working for the MDHS is a very easy job, but stressful. You're meeting different types of people daily with different personalities.
Working at the Department of Human Services was a pleasure
Preschool Teacher Social Service Aide II (Former Employee) –  St. Croix, Virgin IslandsJanuary 25, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at the Dept. of Human Services day care center was watching the children develop into independent individuals.
Pros
family atmosphere, caring staff
Cons
low rate of pay, lack of appreciation for employees
Investigate
DHS Investigator/Special Projects Officer IV (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 7, 2015
The investigative division needs to be supervised by an individual with law enforcement experience.
Pros
hours
benefits
Very rewarding place to work
CEO/OWNER - Home of Second Chances (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 14, 2014
This was a very rewarding position and fast past. as a Ceo of a Mental Health Company you had to be flexible, knowledgeable and willing to learn and make quick decisions. The growth of the company was your responsibility , therefore you had to make sure you had a strong team and people who were dedicated to helping others.
caseload
Child Support Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSNovember 5, 2014
The caseload was stressful Policies always changing supervisor didn't know anything so therefore couldn't be helpful
Productive and fun place to work
Vocational Rehabilitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Virgin IslandsAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work is assisting students with transitioning form school to work . making appointments .updating clients reports .and every Thursday is socialization with the clients

I have learned that every day I come to work is a new adventure with my clients and that they are people just me I see the ability and not the disability

Management at times is difficult as far getting all the resource that is needed to run the day to day activity of the program but somehow we all make it work at the end of the day the client is the top priority
My co-worker is like my family .We work very well together

the hardest part of my job is also the most enjoyable part of my job it the clients that we serve I have been doing this for years now this is my calling . My clients make me want to come into work everyday . I really love what I do .I cant imagine doing anything else
loved it
Housing Advisor Caseworker, Recertification CORE (Former Employee) –  pensacola flAugust 12, 2014
was home every night and the pay was great. awesome job and great people as well
every job I have had I have loved to do
data entry clerk - office (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2014
a typical day -- working to get information the drivers submitted for the day's and nights work

what I learned --- a lot -- change is good, knowledge is power

management and co-workers - great to work with over the years

hardest part of the day -- really nothing -- all in a days work

enjoyable part of the day -- making everyone happy
Human Services
Caseworker (Trainee) (Current Employee) –  Villa Park, ILJuly 20, 2014
Majority of the day is spent assisting customers with gaining benefits to assist with daily living, i.e. Medical Assistance, Supplemental food programs, and temporary assistance for needy families. My co-workers posses a wealth of knowledge about the programs that are offered to families, the average stay for the staff is eight to ten years.