Humana Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,884 reviews matching the search
HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT--They follow the "Peter Principle" to the "T"
In Patient Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLFebruary 20, 2016
I would never work for this company again. Although I learned a lot working there, the mental anguish & stress due to inconsistent directions from Management who "micromanaged" to the hilt!.
There was a also lot of harassment and verbal abuse going on by Supervisors to their subordinates.Several people left at the same time due to this issue. I wasn't directly affected, however I was a witness.
Pros
work from home
Cons
People promoted to Management who didn't know what they were doing
Very professional and serious work place.
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay, GADecember 27, 2015
A typical work day at Humana Military would be about the same every day start off with a cup of coffee and talk for a few minutes to the other girls/ co workers it was only 5-6 of us in the office spaces. I loved my co workers and management was okay. The hardest part of my day would be making sure I didn't make mistakes on the referrals with coding, wrong patient etc. that would just be awful and I would get in trouble for big mistakes not that I made that many. I'm proud of that but, after being scolded I think it seems to sticks with me, which in turns made me do better I learned a lot about myself while at the job meeting dead lines, having people depend on me to do what is right and accurately. I also enjoyed the being independent working alone and pacing myself to get the job done and making my quotes everyday.
Pros
I had and hour lunch break and stayed 5 minutes down the street.
Cons
When I moved to another city but kept my job I hated getting of late.
Terrible place to work.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 29, 2016
I was a cog in a machine. I was hired to provide a service but my department's business model was recreated to a sales model which was so radically different from its original design and scope. The job turned from pure customer service to how many people I could run through the system. I was one of many who quit but I had 4 of 16 of my coworkers stay and one of them told me that they switched back to a pure customer service model because of the spectacular failure that the business model turned out to be with Medicare patients.

Training was as minimal as possible and if life happened (car repairs, illness), one had a few days per year to recuperate, but if you had the flu you were still expected to come to work and infect others (although their policy on paper was to stay home till one is better because infecting everyone caused loss of productivity).
Pros
They matched any personal contribution to retirement savings.
Cons
Poor training, unrealistic expectations reguarding employees, abismal customer service, customers were numbers only and if they stopped making Humana profit, they were terminated; they found any reason at all to deny benefits.
Cultural
VSP Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 24, 2016
I enjoyed my short time with Humana. I was with them as a Limited Term employee so that is why I am no longer active. My assignment was during their annual AEP period which is considered their "PEAK" season. I am still eligible for another position with Humana. Great work environment, love the different cultures I was able to work with.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not permanent.
Terrible work environment. Poor management
Data Analyst, Medicare Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 27, 2015
Long hours with no job security or opportunity for advancement. Very poor management style. Employees are treated like children. An abundance of wasteful meetings. Age discrimination.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Everything else.
Great Benefits
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 23, 2016
My typical work day consisted of being a Secretary to 5 women, which also meant I was in charge of all 5 departments.
The company had great benefits and hours.
Always very busy and never any down time.
Since this company is located in Kentucky and my husband died and my family lived in Texas. I decided to relocate back to Texas for the support of my family to help with my one year old son.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Lots of pros and lots of cons
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 9, 2015
The company has a great potential, but corporate management, is challenging, and there is not much of a work/life balance.
Pros
401k
Cons
work life balance
Excellent workplace
Care Plus Care Manager (Current Employee) –  At-home workJuly 9, 2016
Humana is an excellent workplace. The supervisors and upper management are consistent about their expectations and offer support to ensure you are successful and productive. The patient or member is our priority and assisting them to live and maintain a healthy lifestyle is our main goal.The hardest part of my job is being able to reach the member since my work is primarily over the phone so sometimes I am not able to reach them. Once I reach my members, I am able to educate, guide, and offer assistance in their health, social, and environmental areas. I enjoy speaking with my members and listening to their issues, but most of all hearing them say how grateful they are for my call and assistance. I am happy to recommend Humana as an excellent workplace, with reasonable expectations and a supportive environment.
Pros
Able to work from Home
Cons
System issues
Meh
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 10, 2016
Benefits are great! The culture there is a lie and is there to save face, sure there are also a lot of people there who really live it but for the most part its not very inviting and people are rude and if you have a disability they dont even care. The managers are cold and vague and the department lead isnt completely approachable. The job security rhetoric they keep trying to assure us with is a lie too, especially with the merge of us and Aetna. They keep setting impossibly high expectations and pushing a lot of people out of a job that way. Don't take too many PTO days or have FMLA, STD because they're going to harass you about it, not directly but they start nit picking and micro managing you for using these things.
Benefits
Cons
Buildings too cold, no one listens to complaints, they harass employees who use approved leaves, list goes on and on.
Great place to enhance skill set
Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 21, 2016
Humana has grown my analytical capabilities far beyond what they were before I was employed there.

Working there has also made me healthier than I had been, prior to my start date. The corporate location offers an affordable onsite gym, and incentivizes you to exercise, mostly through well-being programs through the insurance benefit.

My co-workers have predominantly remained the same, though with fluctuating periods of turnover now and again.

I was given Work-At-Home opportunities that were as valuable as my base pay at times. Though, the buildings have modernized over the past 5 years to where they don't feel as stuffy as the corporate locale did on my first day.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
many departments lack advancement opportunites
CPU Specialist / LI NET Integrated Specialist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 3, 2016
Responsible for resolving customer and pharmacy calls, ensuring our members and providers receive adequate service. Handles claims, eligibility, financial recovery, and benefits. Exceeded departmental quality and production goals. Successfully maintain a variety of work type schedules. Responsible for resolving special projects and escalated issues such as the associate pended report and the aging report. Reconciled member accounts with CMS and mailed letters regarding corrections. Processed TRR replies, UI Replies, and CMS errors and manually keyed new enrollments. Familiar with CMS reply codes and transmit statuses. Participated in and volunteered for a variety of projects within the Medicare enrollment area.
Diverse place to work
Humana Care Manager, Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLJuly 19, 2016
Diverse work atmosphere with almost constant changes. I enjoyed Humana, but felt it was difficult to advance career and life/work balance was not balanced at all. I choose to leave Humana only because I am changing careers and needed to have work schedule that will enable me to go to school full time. I would recommend any nurse that needs to work from home to apply with Humana. You do have the ability to work with clients long term and actually manage, educate, and see positive outcomes in their health goals.
Pros
Flexable, Long term relationships with members, Educational and care management position
Cons
Difficult to meet all member's needs, find resources to assist, must meet metric daily
Exciting and Innovative place to work
Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2016
HV was a very exciting and innovative place to work. My co-workers and management we're very supportive and encouraging. An average day at HV was filled with challenges to always meet the need of our clients and members. To do this day-in and day-out HV provided an environment that was almost like a small start-up. Everyone was energetic and excited to take on the challenges that were presented to us. I have a passion for technology solutions and compliance, and HV management made sure they provided an environment for their employees to flourish in their jobs, and at the same time meet the needs of our customers. Great experience!
Pros
Environment
Cons
being a remote / satellite office
This is an excellent company to work for.
Manager Pharmacy Sales and Vendor Operations (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 28, 2015
The CEO was very clear on the culture, vision, core values, and dignity of the employees. I really enjoyed working with my peers and co-workers, and cross-functionally. This is a fun place to work and they are very supportive. they embrace change management leadership and really empower leaders to lead.
Pros
This is an excellent, change management environment. This is an excellent place to grow your skills, and development and mentor others.
Cons
Short breaks. Very stressful environment because of compliance and quality demands.
Productive and enjoyable enviorment
Telemarketing Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 10, 2016
warm & cold calling
I was licensed and certified with my 215 Health License
Management was not the easiest to deal with they were very unorganized and not knowledgeable at all.
My co-workers were the best, some are friends' that turned into family.
The hardest part of the job was the miscommunication of the different products and no proper training.
The commission structure was great.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Poor management skills.
Unorganized medicare risk adjustment departments on a local level.
Senior Medical Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2016
I was very pleased with the corporate office that ran Humana, however, there was an unorganized management system at the local level. When I started, Medicare had still not fully moved to a risk adjusted payment system for their Medicare Advantage plans. The team that was creating the MRA system at Humana was very supportive of their MRA staff and allowed us to make up the rules as we went along, because there really weren't any besides the Medicare guidelines. However after a few years, my new manager had no managed care experience and did not understand medical billing or coding, which made our jobs as medical coding auditors very difficult. I was a respected medical coding auditor by the Chicago IPAs I worked with and was soon recruited by Wellcare.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
disorganized local management
Awesome Company
Telesales specialtist-DMS (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 14, 2015
Awesome Company to work for. Great training and great management. Work life balance is excellent and opportunities are endless with this company.
Pros
Great Training Great Managers Great CoWorkers
Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2015
Dependable, and Fun, working as right hand man to the Physicians. I learned different procedures. Management was great. The hardest part was some days required long hours. I enjoyed it.
Pros
Great people to work for, Benefits are great
Cons
having to leave
Will never work gor this company again
NRCMA (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 28, 2016
Company itself was a good company with excellent benefits....Office Manager very racist finds fault in colored people only....States they have no retaliation policy they strongly DONT' honor....Once you contact Corporate with an issue with office manager they immediately inform her to rid of you...The leaders over this company only care for themselves and the higher employees such as the Doctors and PA.....They ask you to perform tasks that is unrealistic and when you don't fall through you will be reprimanded....Severe employee turnover....I will never work for this company again....
Pros
Off on weekend and Holidays
Cons
employee turnover racist Manager
you have no help at all
Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2016
their training is poor they have you study at your own pace but are pushing and ramming you thru to a bunch of classes and youre overwhelmed by the time you get to the phone
your supervisor is never there for guidance and they leave you alone. you feel like cattle being herded thru to slaughter,
they do not appreciate you and you work long hours.
not worth it at all. since the manager and supervisors are hardly there to give you any sense of guidance so they will be absent alot.
be aware you'll be own your own
Pros
they feed you to stay in your seat to take as many calls as you possibly can
Cons
your on you own kid, limit your bathroom breaks and prepare to be micromanaged