Humane Society Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxed Environment
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 6, 2016
Management was amazing and very hands on with staff which helped accomplishing goals so much easier. The facility as a whole functioned so great it; amazed me how well everyone worked together. Unfortunately, I was having to share a vehicle at the time and was late consistently and ultimately I had to quit because it was seeming too difficult to get there.
Cons
no benefits
A Community of pet-lovers whom care.
Helper (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INMay 25, 2016
You spend the day here if your volunteering taking care of the cats and dogs here at the shelter in one of several ways. I learned about the maintenance of the cages, and the importance of animal hygiene. The fact that pets have laundry too with their blankets and bedding and that taking them for walks gives them a break from the local surroundings and confinement of the cage as well as how animals are handled when they are sick. The co-workers and other volunteers are friendly and caring, They do their best to find the pets a decent home.
Pros
Work with the animals
Cons
Mite get stuck in the laundry room all day if assigned.
Potential to be a wonderful employer
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  78752July 13, 2015
The real turn offs were the management not paying attention to reported issues with other workers when an issue was unresolved. They pay was awful. I don't mean awful in the sense that it was just low, I mean it was impossible to live a life of meeting one's basic need expenses. Forget having "fun money" and be ready to fore go any ideas of finances for "emergency fund, retirement or vacation funds. That was really depressing after finally finishing a BFA degree and having no real opportunity for moving upward.
Pros
Animals weren't put to sleep due to time / space.
Cons
Lack of any real income potential or advancement
Management is a nightmare, nobody knows what their doing
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJune 6, 2016
it was a great experience to work with animals in such a hands on way. But the management in charge does not have the business' best interest in mind. overall it was a very disappointing experience.
Pros
you get to work with and care for stray animals.
Cons
Worst management in the history of a non-profit organization.
productive and educational
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 27, 2016
Because I have volunteered at the Humane Society in San Antonio for a few years, I have learned a great deal from everyone who worked their. We formed a tight bond that I still cherish today. They were always eager to teach me.
Pros
eager teachers
Cons
n/a
Muy productivo y evolucionario
Practicante (estudiante) Asistente Veterinario (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRJanuary 28, 2016
Diariamente realizaba Salud Animal
Alimentacion de los diferentes tipos de animales en el refugio
El trato que se le brinda a los animales en el refugio se trata de que sea excelente tanto en trato como en servicio de veterinaria parala realizacion de las adopciones.
Pros
Aprendizaje como tratar y trabajar con los animales
Cons
muy lejos para mi
wonderful working with and around animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAFebruary 29, 2016
I was a volunteer in the spay/neuter division. I helped monitor the animals during recovery, taking temperatures, incubating, washing and packing instruments. I helped with dipping, oral meds, weighing and holding animals for injections and blood drawing.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
no pay as a volunteer
Humane Society Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKFebruary 17, 2016
I would come in and clock in and help out first wherever they needed me at the time, that could range from cleaning out dog kennels, to taking one on a walk. I learned with this experience how to deal with different dogs of all sizes. I also learned a lot about team work and how important everyones role is while working together.
Fun
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Helping animals is always a fun adventure to jump on. The day started with coming in to help feed, bath and play with the dogs and cats in the shelters. Even sometimes recusing some from horrible living conditions.
Pros
Fun, Saves Animals
Cons
Working Conditions, Dirty
I love volunteering at the humane society!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJanuary 23, 2016
The conditions aren't always the best inside of the humane society, and it definately doesn't smell the best, but seeing the look on the dogs faces when they can finaly be free from those cages and interact with another living being makes it worth it.
Pros
Puppies! and Kittens!
Cons
smells horrible, and isn't very sanitary

Want to know more about Humane Society?

Ask a question
productive and fun
Pet Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 31, 2016
I was the supervisor there and I loved it. I loved the animals there because they were like my kids. I worked around great co-workers and volunteers.
loved saving dogs
Dog Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, CAApril 18, 2016
it was a sad job to deal with peoples throw away animals but it needed to be done i enjoyed seeing the animals relief when they realized they were safe
Pros
made me feel good
Cons
sad job
Fantastic Workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CADecember 23, 2015
I have loved animals my entire life. The humane society gave me a chance to interact with animals and care for them and make them feel loved. The zoo would be a perfect place for an animal lover like me. All animals deserve too have attention and too feel wanted. I learned that work is hard. It's not easy. You have too put your mind too it and anything is possible.
Humane Society volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Overall, being a volunteer was interesting for me because I got to work with animals. I am a huge animal lover and dog lover so I felt comfortable in that type of environment. The people I worked with were nice and I enjoyed washing the blankets for the dogs.
working
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMarch 3, 2016
Great place to work and volunteer. Love being involved here and working with the animals and the workers . I loved taking the animals out and playing with them and seeing the play with the people who came inside.
Decent place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 2, 2016
I volunteered here years ago. They are pretty flexible and easy to work with. They serve a good cause and I met some nice people here.
danville animal center
Keeper/ sales (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILNovember 25, 2015
keep care of the pets , feed and water , cleaned cages , mopped the floors and saled the animals, it was a work release progrom through the township
Pros
loved the job cause it showed how people love the greetings to the animal
Cons
if the animals where sick and bitting they would kill them
lousy work enviroment with bad management skills
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMarch 30, 2015
the job its self was ok, the only real problem was the management team and the other co workers, not allowing for advancement, no air flow in the building, complaints about stench when there was none.
Pros
working with animals, and a team enviroment
Cons
bad management, no leadership, hours of open operation
very neat and organized
manager- laurie hubik (Former Employee) –  binghamton,nyAugust 5, 2015
worked 8 years for the humane society of Binghamton NY as a kennel attendent and vet tech assistant. cleaned cages and animals when needed, stocked donations, walked dogs and helped the vet techs process animals into the shelter by restraining for shots or blood draws or i had to help give medications.can also do or help give nail trims.
I also worked at Johnson City NY animal hospital doing the same thing's but also had a few more jobs then the humane society like cleaning bathrooms filing client charts or pulling charts for next day appointments and also cleaned the whole building by the end of the work day.(worked there for less then a yr because moved to NC)
Pros
workers comp when injured at work
Cons
short work days and not many staff
fun workplace
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 12, 2015
The humane society was a very fun and nice workplace. I loved being around all of the animals. I would work there again. The humane society was a very fun and nice workplace. I loved being around all of the animals. I would work there again.
Pros
animals
Cons
cleanliness