Humane Society Employee Reviews

Easy, educational
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYApril 22, 2017
The humane society was easy but needed a lot of focus and writing and talking on the phone and to people. The humane society was pretty far but I managed to make it work.
Pros
Sat all day
Cons
Animal smell
Fun place to work and cute animal
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 12, 2017
I volunteer for the cat yoga event and had an amazing time the people were kind and treated everyone with respect, the best part of volunteering were the cats.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Great but depressing
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXApril 8, 2017
I had a lot of fun working at this shelter. You can list downsides for hours because it is a shelter but the people are where it counts.

This humane society has some of the most compassionate people I have ever worked with. Management is good overall but you will disagree with decisions made by management and euthanasia will be hard, its hard on everyone.

You will bring work home with you, but its hard not to working at any shelter.
Pros
Amazing people
Fun place to work
Animal Care Senior (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GA 31406March 21, 2017
Start my day of at the Chatham County Jail for the Operation New Hope Program Training inmates to train bad dogs to make them more adoptable .
I love learning a new challenge with every dog i work with.
managing the program is lots of fun . You work with all tyes of people and dogs.

The hardest part is of this job is when i'm not able to rehab them all.

Workplace culture is mixted all types of different people that come together to help surve one perpose. Helping save lives.
Pros
working with all types of people and pets
Cons
no helth benefits
fun place to work
Veterinary Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 11, 2017
I love animals it was fun volunteering at the humane society you get to walk the dogs give them baths play with the puppies give them food they also have cats and kittens on the second floor but I'm more so a Dog lover
Nice Clean Environment
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Beatrice, NEMarch 9, 2017
I really enjoyed being at the front desk at The Humane Society. It was a fun, loving, and very caring place to work. We kept it very clean and made sure all the animals were very well groomed and taken care of.
Pros
Finding good families for the animals
Cons
Getting attached to the animals and then watching them leave
Loved it
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 24, 2017
I loved working with the animals! The workers are so caring towards them too. It was a last effort to put them down. I love shelters that are a no-kill shelter. It was one of my favorite jobs and still is.
can be slow can be busy either way there is something to do
Outreach Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTFebruary 23, 2017
I worked and volunteered here i went to the pet stores and did adoptions there was alot of politics and once one manager had a problem with you everyone did. because there are so many females working there it wasnt that great! my life revolves around the animals so thats what i focused on.
This was a fun place to do volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDFebruary 16, 2017
This is a no kill shelter. The people who run it are wonderful and fun to work with. They even let my daughter help out by playing with the cats. This is a wonderful volunteer opportunity that I highly recommend.
Good but I volunteered there
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 15, 2017
I didn't work at the Humane Society I volunteered there. It was fine. Good treatment of animals. Really cared. Made sure to keep everything as clean, orderly and healthy as possible.
Wonderful place to work!
Adoption Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CADecember 29, 2016
This was one of the best companies I ever worked for. I wish I was healthier at the time so I could have given them my best and stayed with the company. Upper management gossips a lot, and I found that to be not okay at all, but other than that, perfect job.
Pros
Playing with animals, pay, envornment
Cons
Management was snotty
The workers aren't all that friendly.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pierce, FLDecember 17, 2016
The animals are amazing however the workers are not. Almost all of them always have a stank attitude for no reason.Most of them barely talked to you.I would say they were all quite rude.
Pros
Amazing animals
Cons
rude workers
Very good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 13, 2016
i only volunteered there but the atmosphere is great, the people are kind and its fun working with the animals. I had a really good experience there and i will probably be volunteering more.
Productive work place with a great message.
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 14, 2016
The staff members are great and very passionate about the animals and what we do there. The motivation stems from the determination that is showcased by the manager, supervisor, and board members. You can go into work and work hard; but still have fun and know that when you leave, you're making a difference in the life of an animal.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the work. At the start of the day, kennels have to be cleaned well and in a timely fashion. All dogs must be rotated three times a day and that's where the time management really comes in. When you aren't cleaning kennels, you are feeding animals, working with customers, washing dishes, doing laundry, and assisting other coworkers when need the extra help.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the animals. The shelter gets many animals who are sick, injured, scared, and sometimes the animal could be experiencing all of those examples. Workers get to be the ones who make a change for the better in that animals life. The most awarding thing is to see how the animal changes and getting to watch that animal go to a loving home. That alone is worth all the hard work and sweat that goes into the job.
Pros
Friendly staff, work with animals, special events
Cons
Lots of hard work
Taking care of dogs.
Dog Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 14, 2016
Typical day at the Humane Society is always cleaning and taking care of dogs everyday , clean their kennels , give medications , take care of sick dogs , feed them , do play groups and meet and greets.
I learned a lot at the Humane Society , I learned how to properly walk a dog , how to give medicines , how to introduce dogs to another dog the proper way, etc. The management was great and so was the co workers. The hardest part of the job would be breaking up dog fights.
One enjoyable part of the job would be working with the dog trainer and help train the dogs.
Pros
being with dogs
Cons
being able to do what you like by working with animals
A fun and rewarding experience.
Kennel tech (Former Employee) –  Wickenburg, AZSeptember 7, 2016
A typical day a work was getting there a 3:00 pm getting the food ready for the dogs and cats. Feeding them then while they were eating i'd go and do my other duties such as, laundry, moping sweeping, helping my fellow coworkers with anything they needed, and helping customers when they wanted to see a certain dog or cat or just generally questions they had. After that picking up the bowls and doing the dishes, then letting the dog outside for exercise while i do other jobs. At the end of the day i gather up all the trash and made sure the animals were secured after that i went home at 7;00 pm. The management there was excellent and they always listens to are concerns and ideas nobody felt left out. My co-workers were fun and professional and they are always there when you need them. The hardest part of the job was separating the dogs that didn't like each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing an animal that I grew close to get and new and loving home.
The employees are nice and you get to be around cats all day.
Volunteer Pet Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 28, 2016
If you love animals, then this is a great place to volunteer. You can feed the pets, clean up after them, and won't have to have any of the messes in your house.
very messy
Humane Society (Former Employee) –  Graham, TXAugust 24, 2016
Its a very messy place to work. you deal with alot of feices and dead bodys and the smell is horrible. You never leave clean, and they treat you very badly.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Volunteer work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Southern californiaAugust 24, 2016
met great people from around the nation working towards the same goal.....to keep the animals safe and healthy for future adoption.
If you work with animals, you should at least like animals
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXAugust 15, 2016
I loved this job because it let me work with animals everyday. Unfortunately, the director and others at this shelter seemed more interested in putting down animals to "make space" than getting them adopted out. Also, when reviewing employee performance, supervisors do not seem to be all on the same page. One will provide positive feedback and then another will write you up.
Mixed signals.
Great facility, amazing volunteers and a nice staff.
Management is too focused on euthanizing animals.
Needs clear communication between staff and management.
Pros
Great facility, amazing volunteers and a nice staff
Cons
Management is too focused on euthanizing animals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2