Humboldt State University Employee Reviews

Customers were great, management wasn't.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work included cleaning counters and floors, ringing up customers, and keeping stock. My co-workers were all fairly agreeable and got their jobs done as well with a few exceptions. The management didn't really do much that was directly involved with me. The best and the worst part of this job was definitely the customers. From this job I learned how to work in a team with people to complete our individual goals.
Pros
Good Co-Workers, customers
Cons
So-so management, customers
Changes Every Year
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Each year it got progressively less enjoyable. Management changed and it changed the dynamics and environment of the job. The work was tough and we had to move quickly, but the many bonds with people that I have made through that job makes it all worth it.
Pros
Guaranteed 40 hr/wk
Cons
Some of the leads should not be leads
Learn how to work with hazardous materials as a Hazardous Waste Technician
Hazardous Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAFebruary 22, 2017
This job was very dynamic. A typical day at work was showing up to the storage facility where hazardous waste was stored before transport to a hazardous waste treatment facility. I worked with another person to take inventory, categorize, and safely separate incompatible materials. We also took inventory and transported hazardous waste from the whole university, primarily from the science programs. We also facilitated communication between departments regarding hazardous waste. Other parts of the job included first response for chemical spills, safety inspections, and training.

From this job I learned valuable problem solving skills. This was my favorite part. I loved approaching a problem, such as a chemical spill or moving a large barrel, and then making and enacting a clean-up plan that was safe and effective. I also learned about many different chemicals as well as the best way to separate/containerize them and how to spot safety violations.
Pros
Works well with student schedules, every day is different
Cons
Only available to students
Worked as part of a team in the Library Circulation department to provide services and information to HSU students and faculty.
Library Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  LibrarySeptember 3, 2016
I loved providing library services to students as part of a fast, hard-working team in this professional environment. All departments of the library worked hard to be mutually supportive in order to provide the best resources possible to students.

In a typical day, I opened the library, and managed the circulation desk alone until the first student workers arrived. I assigned work to the students for one hour blocks, and had them rotate to avoid burnout. My co-workers and I collaborated to solve resource access problems for which students and faculty requested help. I also made myself available throughout the day at the front desk to provide information for resource and research queries. As part of the circulation department, I collaborated with the IT department to provide services.

I took on management responsibilities for overseeing student workers, and worked with three levels of management above me. I appreciated the professionalism and mutual support expressed among all levels.
Pros
Knowledgable colleagues, updated technology, responsive administrative support
Cons
temporary position
HSU archaeological research laboratory
Field assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 4, 2016
This job held great experience for me as a student and as a budding Geospatial analyst. I learned how to be a project supervisor on my own research project, as well as a assistant at teaching GIS. I learned how to manage my priorities, in both my work life and outside of my work. my co-workers, also student of the same major, were easy-going yet strict in their own projects. The most enjoyable part was learning from the best of my profession.
Pros
flexible hours, great work environment and great staff
Great Environment
Research Assistant/Telefund Communicator (Current Employee) –  Arcata, CAOctober 20, 2016
I have greatly enjoyed my time working as a tele fund communicator as well as student manager for the department of philanthropy. I also am a research assistant with the department of Sociology/Criminal Justice department.
Pros
great experience
Cons
hours
Multiple Great Jobs
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAOctober 8, 2016
Working in Humboldt State University was a great experience. I had multiple jobs within the arts such as a wood shop technician, figure drawing coordinator and a gallery assistant. All these positions allowed me to gain communication and teaching experience.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Minimum hours
Humboldt State University is one of the 23 campuses of California State University System with excellent reputation.
Distinguished University Professor (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAAugust 4, 2014
My typical day started at 7 a.m. and finished after 7 or 8 p.m. I also did work at home afterwards.
I developed excellent management skills running different departments and programs.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
University compensation is much less than industry
great college
Student (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAMay 18, 2016
loved working there as a student, it's an amazing college for hands on experience. I loved being there, and everyone there was extremely friendly.
Good place to develop abilities
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Humboldt County, CAMay 19, 2016
Spent my time achieving a B.A. in history and being actively engaged with clubs and the student body and finishing a 24 page dissertation.

Want to know more about Humboldt State University?

Ask a question
Only for college students
Stocker/Utilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJuly 29, 2015
The day was straight forward for a stocker. Clocked in at 6am to make sure our daily orders are checked and processed on time. There were times when our deliveries wouldn't make it on time causing distress with the cooks and managers.

As Utilities coordinator, rigorous at times because making sure that everyone in my crew was doing their their job felt like I was babysitting. Then if something wasn't done right, for example at lunch time, I would get heat for it.

I only stayed there with them because it was convenient for me because I was a student at the college and they worked with my schedule.
Ever changing environment
Associate Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Constant turnover in management, lead to confusion and to high turnover in the department. Co workers were excellent, yet the university did not value intercollegiate athletics
Pros
Area and commitment to students
Cons
turnover in department leadership
Good experience
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJune 12, 2012
was able to work my way up, great atmosphere! Co-workers were always good company, always something new to learn, meeting new people was always fun. Management was personable and easy to talk to. Flexible with work hours.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJuly 10, 2013
I learned how to do research in an academic setting to be reviewed in an academic peer reviewed journal
Pros
experience
Going to School and Working on Campus
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJanuary 31, 2013
I worked at a variety of on campus stores. I worked with other students. My boss worked around all of our school schedules. My job consisted of customer service, operating the cash register, stocking inventor and help maintain a clean and safe environment. The Hardest part of this job was the short shifts, and the fact that it felt like i was always at school.
Pros
worked around school schedule
Cons
short shfts, and always at school
willing to work with class schedules
Library Documents Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAMarch 8, 2015
This was a great job for the college student. I was able to work around my class schedule which made the situation less overwhelming. My boss was very patient in teaching me the new classification systems, as well as using the software to update records.
Pros
flexibility, interesting, productive environment
Cons
short breaks, often times tasks were finished early
Hard working job with benefits.
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJanuary 14, 2014
I set-up for evens such as concerts, dances, or anything the university could come up with. I manage a building so all the responsibility falls onto my hands if something goes wrong. I enjoy working on campus and having the accessibility of my campus at my finger tips.
Pros
On-campus all the time and physically demanding
Cons
limited hours
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAMay 28, 2013
I loved working here, everyone was nice and polite to me. the most enjoyable part for me was getting to know everyone, and having the pleasure of meeting new people.
Pros
The food, The people, The location.
Cons
There really are not any cons
Living Group Advisor
Living Group Advisor (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CASeptember 18, 2013
Being an advisor at your school can be difficult but really rewarding at the same time. Most universities pay for your room and board for that year you're working and that saved me from having to accept a loan that year. It's a really good chance to meet lots of cool people and get involved.
Pros
free room and board
Friendly colleagues
Finance Tutor (Former Employee) –  Arcata, CAJune 15, 2015
I gained the most of this job is how to be patient with people, and use different ways to communicate with people and make them better understand one concept and how to apply.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Humboldt State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4