Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Excellent Opportunities for Education
X31 Deck Electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 11, 2012
A typical day at work is totally dependent upon the job at hand. At any given time you may need grind steel, in order to mount equipment to the ship, set up runways for cable installation, properly fit lights to the overhead and/ hook-up the equipment. Everything is totally dependent on what upper management feels is top priority, and all orders are supplemented with drawings, schematics and methods books in order to ensure proper procedure is followed.

I have learned ample information at the shipyard. I have been able to apply what I have learned in school on some occasions such as; wiring power distribution boxes, transformers, troubleshooting low voltage phones, coaxial connectors, multi-pin connectors, soldering and much more.

The attitude of Upper Management differs from person to person and it is uncommon to stay with a supervisor for more than 2 years. The supervisors do a pretty good job making sure there is always work available. It is not often that we run into problems due to inadequate planning.

Some co-workers tend to be comfortable and complacent where they are at, while others show a passin to excel and move up in the ranks and it shows through their work ethic and standard of quality.

The hardest part of the job is just getting there everyday and finding a parking spot. In certain parts, it is necessary to get there at least an hour before schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I have helped to provide the United States Navy with a quality ship that will help defend our country against those at war with the United States and our way of life.
Pros
excellent education benefits
Cons
no breaks, clocking in at lunch
Great place to work for welders
Structural Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, Va 23605May 17, 2012
A typical day starts with a safety meeting to remind everyone to be safe and to look out for the guy next to you. Then we receive our job assignments and head to assigned work place. Once we have found our job we then need to find a machine line and wire feeder and claim it with our tool bag. We then look over our job to see what all we will need to do it, ie; mirrors, mirror holder, half shield, respirator, ect. After we check all the base material to make sure everything matches we'll sign out job assignment sheets and then proceed to get our wire for the job.

In the little over 3 years I have been working for the ship yard I have learned a lot. I came into the ship yard without any welding experience and have now become proficient in FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, and TGAW. I have also had the opportunity to work on some important joints that received MT and UT testing, and have passed all the joints I have done.

The management at the ship yard want to see people succeed and will do what they need to do to help you get where they need you to be. If that means one on one help, or just a little help setting your heat and wire speed.

Your co-workers make the ship yard the reason why its a great place to work. They will help you pull a line, find a line, find a wire feeder ect. They help pass the time and are full of knowledge seeing how most of us are from all different kinds of backgrounds.

The hardest part of the job is the tight work, when you can only get a mirror into your job and you have to weld one handed with your non-dominate hand. Or just the fact that if you can get into
  more... any position at any time and have to weld, even if you're almost upside down.

To me the most enjoyable part of the job is once you finish your assigned job and you look it over and you know you did a great job. The weld looks great and even your supervisor comes and looks at it and agree with you.
Pros
great co-workers, laid back atmosphere
Cons
lack of equpiment, hard to find working equpiment
the most challenging yet rewarding job I have ever had.
Electrical Journeyman Candidate (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJune 27, 2012
A typical day is not a word that is used with this company. There is nothing typical about building the best warships in the world for the best military in the world. I learned alot about myself as well as my fellow countrymen. I learned that I was capable of completing jobs and tasks at the highest level of workmanship than I have ever thought imagineable. This job pushed the boundries of what I thought I was capable of accomplishing to increased heights every single day. My foremans were some of the most honorable bosses i have had the privilege to work for. my co-workers are some of the countries best in integrity, quality, professionalism, attitudes, perfection, commitment to excellence, attention to detail, and overall character. There were some bad apples but very few ever made it far because of the wisdom of management to see through them for what they were. The hardest part of the job was investing my complete dedication( blood, sweat, tears) to learn the job as if my livelyhood depended on it and in the end to be layed off from the only job that gave such challenges, purpose, and self-worth. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it challenged me everyday. It humbled me constantly by showing me that there is never a day where you cannot learn something new. Some of the best people to work with is complete strangers because you will never know them fully until you spend the bulk of your time working with them, plus america is a unique place to work.
Pros
to much to list
Cons
that there is not enough gainful work to go around.
Bad Culture
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJune 4, 2015
The culture inside the gate is terrible. It has gotten worse each year. It used to be a much better work enviroment but since separating from Northrop Grumman, there have been changes.

If you work in Industrial Engineering you will support a program or operations manager. Some are good but many use profanity and intimidation regularly. This is directed at engineers as well as those you "support". Saturday meetings are called to seemingly punish low performers. Culture of blaming others and obcession with weekly metrics leads to some very idiotic tasks.

IEs are treated poorly. You can be written up for being 30 seconds late even if you work 50 hrs a week. They act like they don't trust anyone, so they micro manage your time and activities. Turnover in Industrial Engineering is high for these reasons.

management is equally as disgruntled, but there are a few good ones. Everyone is either wanting to quit or wish they could!

I had to leave this place because it provides very little career growth. I was afraid I would get stuck there like the miserable long-timers and regret the day I hired in.
Pros
Stable, but only because of high turnover
Cons
Bad culture, irrelevant work, poor management
productive and fun
Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 22, 2015
A typical work day would be to come in get our safety briefing from the supervisor, then he/she would tell each person where and what they would be doing on the ship, we would then go inspect the job for ourselves to make sure it was how the supervisor said it would be, next we would set the job up as far as move things out of the room we are working in if needed to prevent a fire, pull welding lines, or go to the tool room and checkout any additional tools we need for the job, and begin work. the hardest part of the day would be not trying to eat a big lunch to slow you down. The most enjoyable part of the day was interacting with co-workers makes jobs a lot less stressful and very easy when there's no conflict between co-workers. I worked for some good supervisors always helped you out on the job and made sure workers were ok on the job. I can say I learned and gained quite a bit from the job such as how to weld, how to read blueprints, and how to use some power tools.
Pros
meet many nw people
Cons
parking was ridicules
Low stress high quality production facility
CNC Robot Operator (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 13, 2013
A typical day involves little to no stress where emphasis is placed on the production of quality parts, manufactured and machined to tight tolerances. While working here I learned how to operate a five axis robot and modify G code based programs. Management personnel are all highly experienced and easy to work for. My co-workers have always been committed to being part of the team and to getting the job done. The hardest part of my job comes when a 4500 sq/ft part lands on the cutting table. Getting these parts properly aligned is physically demanding but worth it because it leads directly to the most enjoyable part of my job. Knowing that I am trusted with such a expensive and complex machine gives me a great sense of pride. Also, producing parts for the military gives me the opportunity to do my part for the country. And knowing that service men and women will utilize the parts that I make to do there job leaves me with a great sense of satisfaction.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
long commute
Lot of opportunity to advance
X11 APPRENTICE SHIPFITTER (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 13, 2013
A typical workday in the shipyard for a shipfitter goes as follows:
The fitter reports to his foreman and receives a card of instruction detailing out his/her expected job doings and goals of the day. Following this action, depending on the job downtime/job job current status, a day of production can be met.
The management of HII for the most part are very helping and express the open door policy at all times.
As far as Co-workers go,naturally when different walks of life are "put under the same roof" disagreements will occur but at the end of day we were all a team in pursuit of same goal. The hardest part of the job as a shipfitter is meeting expected goals when you are unable to perform your job due to another trade. The most enjoyable part would be the pleasure of watching the overall project come together.
Pros
job advancement an apprentice, good pay, daily changing job status
Cons
at times certain guidelines that should not be broken were broken
Stable and Constant
Senior Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 19, 2014
The shipyard's prime customer is the Navy, Newport News is noted for being the "Sole Source" provider of Naval Aircraft Carriers. They also have produced more ships, in more ship classes than any other maritime shipbuilder.
The work day is very stable, and repetitive, one will typically work on the same thing bit by bit from Concept to Delivery over the course of many, many years.
Military/Government requirements form a very steep wall to try to overcome and initicate innovative change. This and the exstended timelines are the hardest parts of working there.
Coworkers are same as in other industries, interacting with them can be rewarding, or challenging. Generally management likes to be involved in some day to day activities, but allows for a lot of independent work.
Pros
stable, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
government requirements, long work phases
Ok place to work but untrustworthy personel
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 7, 2016
It was a good place to work until they writing me up for having pneumonia and having a severe nasal condition i didnt know about. Both of those have doctor note documents. The personel person i talked said if i went to the right type of doctor that i would be fine. What a lie, i ended up getting written up. And then I fill out some FMLA forms and got it approve. Then the next day, I got my pink slip. WTF is that. My advice will be unless you are looking for a building block or a 1 -2 year job take it but if your looking for career just move on from this place. These people will let you down and they dont care if they do!
Pros
Good money and good people u work with
Cons
Layoffs, untrustworthy personel, and lousy attendence policy
I would work for them again in a heartbeat
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 19, 2015
The crews were super friendly, and understanding. Even the grumpiest of co-workers had a sense of humor. The Management I was under was amazing, and took great care of their employees. I was there for just over a year, but had to leave due to family issues out of state. In that time I went from making $12.76 an hour to $16.38 an hour. I would love a chance to go back and work for Huntington Ingalls Industries NNS, but at the moment it is just over 700 miles away from where I am stranded in Michigan. I still have plenty of people down there ready and willing to put in a good word for me to return. I miss the work environment and most of all my friends there at NNS.
Pros
Full Benefits, Plenty of Elective Overtime, Great People
Cons
Warehouses get a bit warm in the Summer

Want to know more about Huntington Ingalls Industries?

Ask a question
Industrial Engineer 1 Huntington Ingalls Industries:
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 21, 2015
Perform program/craft support project management for a multi-billion dollar shipbuilding contract with heavy emphasis on data analysis, communication with management, and presentation of materials. Assist shipyard personnel with labor estimates for upcoming work, plans for improving performance, and earned value terminology. Extensive daily use of Microsoft Excel and Access 2010 as project management tools. In April 2014, after 15 months with Hntington Ingalls, I took on the new role and responsabilites of supporting the Director of Coatings moving out of homeroom. My immediate Industrial Engineering piers and Management team at Huntington Ingalls have been exceptional and working with this team has been a great experience. A large portion of my success with this company would be for not if the working relationships that I’ve developed and maintained had not been established.
The life style of a shipbuilder
Nuclear Engineer 2 (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 4, 2014
The shipyard is an excellent place to work for someone with Naval, Shipbuilding, DoD interest.
The engineering jobs can vary from a very traditional office setting, to a more in-field production site. Everyday, there is something to learn not only inside one's dept and field, but outside as well. The Management highly encourage employees to explore these areas.
Lifestyle balance is set up well. Most engineers have a flexable schedule to compensate for out-side of work events.
Salary is fair. Its what most people would expect out of a govt contractor.
Pros
flex-time, opportunity for learning
Cons
no sick leave, construction site, location not close to city and other businesses
Not a bad place to work, but not for everyone
Electrical Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 25, 2014
This is the sort of job that is excellent for a new engineer to jumpstart their career, but may not be the best place for every engineer to stay.

As an Electrical Engineer, I used only a modest amount of what I had learned as an engineer. Most work involved modifying or verifying existing designs.

Management seems like a mixed bag. Several of the lower level managers seem to be overworked, and constant reorganization means some managers are unfamiliar with many of the projects they work on.

The most difficult part of this job was learning who was responsible for what, due to the constant reorganization.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that your work will last for many years to come.
Pros
best job security, company culture is constantly improving
Cons
advancement becomes limited quickly, group structure changes quickly
Day to Day
Sheet Metal Worker (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 4, 2015
morning starts with a memo from management about topics around the yard. we discuss our goal for the day while being safe and following procedures. assist fellow crew members with any issues that may come about. if my supervisor decides to take time off I step in as supervisor and run the day to day for the crew. insuring everyone is safe and ensures to look for those around them. the most challenging part of the day is how management comes around and makes it seem as though we aren't doing enough and try to down talk many of the employees. when most them didn't even do half the job the workers do. I enjoy working with my crew members and the support around when needed for the job.
Pros
stable work
Cons
management not showing apprecation for what the workers accomplish
Proveded safe environmnet and made it possible for you to go to school to get a degree if you wanted to. Great place for advancement.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Administration Building twoDecember 31, 2015
I loved my job. I got a chance to interact with all kinds of people. Eventually I became the " go to :" admin. Everyone came to me if they had a problem or needed somehting. I loved both of my bosses. Everyone really enjoyed the coffee fund that I had provided and they tell me all the time how much they miss me. I learned how to set up meetings on the computer, prepare meetings with visitors coming in from out of town, booking rooms for them, gettting them transportation and just generally telling them about our town.
Pros
Occasionally a free lunch, getting to go offsite to meetings
Cons
10 hour days
THE COMPANY THAT NEVER STOPS
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of working with various people from different trades, always being safe, and being very detailed. I have learned how to operate various computer systems such as WMS, AND SAP. The management team is always pushing for all employees to be engaged, they push the workers to advance and learn something new each day. My co-workers are my second family. We always look out for one another. The hardest part of the job is locating lost material, but with a good amount of research lost material is found in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is being there, working with various people and being challenged.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunches
Productive, entertaining place to work
Painter (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 3, 2014
My typical day at work involved painting articles for various Navy ships either brush & roll or spray paint. How to achieve satisfactory prepared surfaces for painting and excellent painting techniques. The management at this company was adequately trained. My co-workers could have been more committed to achieving the company's commitment to quality standards with regard to the finished product. The hardest part of the job was the teamwork concept with all the members being open to gaining the knowledge of performing to the highest company quality standards and how to achieve those standards. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was seeing a finished product that we completed done to the utmost quality with no defects.
Pros
job security, educational opportunities
Cons
lots of perceived employee favoritism
Very Productive environment, ALL YOUR CAN WELD...
Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 23, 2015
A tropical shift at the Huntington Ingalls Shipyard conquests of, getting burned, hard work and great pay.
Getting your job, setting up your welding machine
pulling welding lines.
Making sure your tools are functioning properly.
Safety FIRST! The Huntington Ingalls Shipyard is a VPP shipyard with OSHA 5 star rating.
Constantly drilling pre-heat and inter-pass in the heads of the welders and fitters.
Making sure the job we are working on is safe.
Making our material and heat setting match with our WIC card or SWISS tickets.
Pros
luncheons for a job well done, great benefits, job security, great ties with the community
Cons
management forgets we are human and that we have to take brakes.
Huntiington Ingalls Industries
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 3, 2012
The company has existed for over 100 years and is stable in that fact alone. Up until recently, most of the people I know working felt there was always room for growth and potential for advancement. The company was once owned by Northrop Grumman and has since spun off into its current name. I gave the company a 3 out of 5 due to its inability to keep up with the ever changing technology. Other than that the most enjoyable part of any job lies in knowing how every task we do collectively facilitates the safety and wealfare of our military vessels.
Awesome company to work for, fun job and people..
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 4, 2015
A day at work was different everyday, lots to do and a good bunch of people to do it with, I learned that quality and fixing it right the first time gets it don't more efficiently and effectively, also learned that safety must be considered first before anything, Management are well structured and oversee all aspects of production, delivery and quality, co-workers for the most part are good to work with, and pull their weight, the hardest part of the job is adapting to some awkward environments, and some awkward physical positions. The most enjoyable part is having the satisfaction of delivering a product or service that counts, and contributing to the security and defense of the country.