Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews in United States

Good Job Choice, not Career.
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 11, 2016
*My mate and i would Plan;Prepare;Produce for the Job*Through on the job site training two trade skills i learned and excelled at were Sick and Tig Tack Welding, and the Reading of Plan drawings* the management Respectable, most supervisor worked along side us before advancement*Co workers all Normal people just trying to provide for their family like everyone else I would say*TIGHT spots on most jobs i would say, seeing how must of the time i would have to weld something is said spot.But that's just he subs, the carrier Tight spots really weren't bad.But Sub tight, is Tight.* The most enjoyable part of the job for me; i would have to say most co-workers that i developed friendships with, being able to leave early in the morning when the 1st shift is preparing to get their day started, and Lastly, the pay. its the most I've ever been paid on a job, and it was just enough to take care of what i needed*
Pros
3rd shift parking 20 min paid lunch, good benefits.
Cons
Sub tight spots
safe and productive work enviroment
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJanuary 18, 2016
i learned how to become a better employee in my craft due to safety classes, on the spot job training, blueprint reading classes and completing the journeyman program. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work hours. The hardest part of the job was commuting back and forth. Management was hard to deal with at times but it was adjustable. My typical day at work consist of getting there on time and completing my daily task sheet.
Pros
job advancement and salary
Cons
management
This company taught me alot about my trade
Pipefitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 25, 2016
Pros
great pay, good benefits, great training, nice people, breaks
Cons
non-professional supervisor, i got lied on, unsafe at times
Senior designer
SENIOR DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 23, 2015
Awesome place to work. Very family free company. Pay, holiday, benefits are very competitive. Cares a lot about its employees. Management is great and everyone works as a team with out putting anyone down. If you have a college education, you can go very far in this company. This is a great company also if you don't have a college education but definitely a place to get a person started in ship building.
Productive place
Stage Builder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 28, 2016
Most of the management was good, until I work with one boss, that didn't like me because of personal reason.. good training classes, taught me basic information, safety, and procedures about my trade.. great co-workers, people, supervisors.. This company cared about your life and livelihood.. I learn a lot of trade from this company.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, great training, SOME nice people, breaks
Cons
non-professional supervisor, i got lied on, unsafe at times
Great place to learn a new skill
Nuclear Crane Rigger (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 2, 2015
Very safe and friendly work environment. Very well trained individuals makes the jobs easier and more safe. Management does well to communicate goals and achievements to the workers. Lots of politics and the communication between trades is severely lacking. Willing to train anyone for any position they might wish to pursue.
Pros
Very good pay.Good benefits.
Cons
Communication and scheduling are lacking.
my job at huntington ingalls
Deck electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 8, 2015
HII is a good place to work. Got to learn a lot about marine electrical systems and ship building. Learned too much to list. Management team that i worked for is excellent.As a make-up foreman got to work closely with my superiors. Most of the people that i met where good people made a lot of friends. Hardest part of the job is that sometimes you have to work in unfavorable conditions.Most enjoyable was being able to learn new things on a almost daily basis.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
lay-offs
productive loud workforce that bulids nuclear aircraft carriers
insualtor/X33I (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 5, 2016
Working at the shipyard requires you to be very attentive to the ships and nuclear carriers that you work on. A typical day at work for me would be reading blue prints, determining the type of insulation that is required to fit the job I'm working on, fastening insulation properly, removing and dispose of insulation properly, use of compressors and most importantly following safety guidelines. You learn how to measure correctly, how to insulate properly, how to weld certain parts together and also about dangerous materials to the human body. Management really cares about the workers their they want to see you succeed at your job. My co-workers at my job are some of the most amazing people, if you don't know how to do a job correctly or need to ask a question they will certainly guide you in the right direction. The hardest part of the job would for me would be going into confine spaces , which are very tight spaces it requires you to be very careful that there aren't ant toxins where you would be working. The most enjoyable part of the job for me would be the learning and experience that I have received from working at my job for so long.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
Don't come to work here
Engineer 2- Mechanical (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 22, 2015
My career here started OK, then the truth began to reveal itself. Management is completely incompetent. Was promised job security for 10 years and was laid off in 9 months.

This is a good ol' boy company. If you are not in the clique, then you will be treated less than fairly.

The general attitude here is dismal at best. VERY negative place to work.
Pros
OK work-life balance
Cons
management, pay, parking, morale
Enjoyed my time here
1st Class Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSFebruary 18, 2016
Great place to learn. Was brought in and taught everything I know. Excellent Benefits and Overtime was available even during my learning process. Employees have alot of advancement opportunity and you frequently receive raises. Loved the people here.
Excellent career job
Production Foreman (Paint) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 16, 2016
There are opportunities for advancement,education,and good benefits. The pay is excellent. The company has a steelworkers union for hourly employees.
Pros
Vacation time guaranteed 40 hour work week 401k
Cons
Strict attendance policy No sick time
Ok place to work but untrustworthy personel
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 7, 2016
It was a good place to work until they writing me up for having pneumonia and having a severe nasal condition i didnt know about. Both of those have doctor note documents. The personel person i talked said if i went to the right type of doctor that i would be fine. What a lie, i ended up getting written up. And then I fill out some FMLA forms and got it approve. Then the next day, I got my pink slip. WTF is that. My advice will be unless you are looking for a building block or a 1 -2 year job take it but if your looking for career just move on from this place. These people will let you down and they dont care if they do!
Pros
Good money and good people u work with
Cons
Layoffs, untrustworthy personel, and lousy attendence policy
Huntington Ingalls
Deck Electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 5, 2015
Good overall company. Great opportunities for training and certifications. Likewise there are good opportunities for advancement. Good benefits, plus an opportunity to join the local union.
Compensation and Benefits are some of the best in the area
Apprentice Electrician (Marine/Shipboard) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 13, 2015
The negative in working with this company comes with the positive. It is a large company with thousands of employees. Therefore, you meet a lot of different people.

Some of the people you meet, really love their job, and many say they hate it. Some workers compare the shipyard to prison, or modern day slavery. That kind of hurt the culture there. Overall, morale felt low on a day to day basis.

Personally, I had several experiences there that I could have done without. But, for the most part, it was a job I liked having. I enjoyed the work (the majority of the time), though in times where there was a lot of overtime, there was a lot of pressure to work as many hours as possible, for weeks, sometimes months on end, without regard for the other factors in your life. That was a problem for me on occasion, at that stage of my life.

If you go to work every day, get there on time, and stay on your job... it's pretty hard to lose your job there. That is a major plus. Advancing can be difficult, because it's often about being seen as valuable by the right person. But keeping your current position is relatively easy.
Pros
Good pay for the work, good benefits, good job security typically.
Cons
Advancing is a question mark, there are many "older guys" who have spent their whole adult lives on the waterfront, and will work there until they retire.
its a job..
Ship Fitter (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 9, 2016
Take some getting use to, just not the place for me. offer good benefits and offsite work is pretty cool. overtime is set up double time on sundays
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks, strict management
Growing organization with lots to offer
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsOctober 18, 2015
Expanding company with many new avenues other than just shipbuilding. Progressive and competitive. Excellent management team.
Pros
new opportunities
Cons
many positions are out of state
Good starting design
Designer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 14, 2015
Profits go to the top. Layoffs and CEO doubles his salary. You are just a number and your skills and performance are expendable. Sitting in 4 man cubes with unprofessional environment in dilapidated buildings!
Stable job with needed skill set
Production Planning and Scheduler (Former Employee) –  New London CTOctober 7, 2015
Provided concurrences on engineering reports for work package insertion on Virginia Class Submarine program.
Ever day had a new network connection
I need proactive management
Co-workers - all type A and made the job easy
Hardest part was employer is a little fish in the big pool
Great schedule and hours with benefits
Pros
Supporting the Navy
Cons
Sporadic work flow
Good place to work but hard to move up without "knowing someone"
PRODUCTION PLANNER & SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 15, 2015
The shipyard is an excellent place to work at. Most the people I have come across with are excellent people to do business with. However, being a company that solely relies on the Department of Defense and if we will get certain contracts, job security is on edge at times.

I have learned many different systems and databases throughout being a planner. My coworkers are some of the best group of people to work around. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive nature. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I enjoyed being a go-to guy, even though I was one of the newer planners in my area. When I entered the department, I learned quickly and became the guy to go to for questions regarding certain databases, etc.
Pros
okay environment, good benefits
Cons
job security diminishes, hard to advance
Very family oriented, had several ship tours and launches that families could attend, holiday gatherings for everyone
Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Avondale, LAJune 3, 2015
Northrop Grumman was a very good company to work for.
Compensation and Benefits were great.
Job Security/Advancement was good when I worked there but,
unfortunately they elected to close the facility so, I was left
without a job.
Management was held accountable for their actions.
I would definitely encourage anyone to work for Northrop Grumman.
Pros
Events for the whole family for the holidays
Cons
Huge company so, you were treated by Corporate as a number.