Huntington Ingalls Employee Reviews

Good Place to work
Cost estimator (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSFebruary 4, 2016
The quality of life working here is great, however the rate of pay is just okay. Management micro manages you. There is a chance for growth.
Productive work environment with limitless learning opportunities
Production Planner & Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Rock City Falls, NYJanuary 30, 2016
Scheduling resource workloads
Managing resources
Ensuring projects are on time/under budget
Report Preparation
Attending/Scheduling meetings
Good place to work, but layoffs happen every few years.
Mechanical Engineer 3 (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 16, 2016
It's good place to work except for the layoffs which happen every few years. Decent pay. Flex hours sometimes. Too many bosses.
Pros
Good pay and benfits
Cons
Inadequate free parking
productive loud workforce that bulids nuclear aircraft carriers
insualtor/X33I (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 5, 2016
Working at the shipyard requires you to be very attentive to the ships and nuclear carriers that you work on. A typical day at work for me would be reading blue prints, determining the type of insulation that is required to fit the job I'm working on, fastening insulation properly, removing and dispose of insulation properly, use of compressors and most importantly following safety guidelines. You learn how to measure correctly, how to insulate properly, how to weld certain parts together and also about dangerous materials to the human body. Management really cares about the workers their they want to see you succeed at your job. My co-workers at my job are some of the most amazing people, if you don't know how to do a job correctly or need to ask a question they will certainly guide you in the right direction. The hardest part of the job would for me would be going into confine spaces , which are very tight spaces it requires you to be very careful that there aren't ant toxins where you would be working. The most enjoyable part of the job for me would be the learning and experience that I have received from working at my job for so long.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
Huntington Ingalls
Deck Electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 5, 2015
Good overall company. Great opportunities for training and certifications. Likewise there are good opportunities for advancement. Good benefits, plus an opportunity to join the local union.
All Work no time for chit chat
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 24, 2015
I have a great crew there, we all take care of each other keeping a watchful eye for each others safety . We build the bigger fdns that can't be built in the shop or on the ships. My crew is a specialty unit as I like to refer to them as, and They are GOOD at what they do. When they came to me they knew very little about it, but now, they are the best.
Pros
great benefits, lots of holidays and a fair union board
Cons
Some foreman won't help the new guys and teach them anything.
Productive environment
MARINE PAINTER (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 11, 2015
7am to 330pm schedule and it is a great place to work. I attend the Apprentice school, which makes me love working here more.
Fun to build Nuclear Submarines
Sheet Metal Worker (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 22, 2015
Shipyard is fun and a cool place to work. Parking sucks. Management is far from the best. Overtime is great. Holidays are iffy but shut down is PERFECT. Advancing is hard. My co-workers are my family.
Pros
PAY
Cons
ADVANCEMENT
Shipyard
Legal Admin Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 13, 2015
Nice place to work if you are in with the in crowd and the good old boy system.
Never will get a promotion unless someone likes you.
Pros
.Flex Time and Pay
Engineering Designer III (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 1, 2015
My continual experience from the Navy allowed me to grow within this company in 11 years. The team spirit of working with many engineers, trades and management was a life lesson. To be apart of a great organization was Awesome.
Pros
Building great ships
Cons
The turnovers
they are lacking in leadership
Rigger/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  pascagoulaSeptember 28, 2015
if you are not kind to someone are giving they something your out of luck. they have been in trouble for poor work and miss charging time. the work is like slave labor and you will end up doing 4 other peoples work that are kissing up to the boss.
Pros
Cons
spend time working in heat and cold weather. with little hope of making any head way in your career
Great working environment
Marine Painter (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 12, 2015
Overall great place to work. Military environment with great leadership. Very well organized and took very good care of both full time workers and contractors.
Production
Material Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 10, 2015
I have learned a lot here. I have learned special programs that help the shipyard run on a every day basis like SAP and WMS programs.
pipe welder
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 5, 2015
work on aircraft carrier welding pipe. It gets very hot and cold on it. Have to work in some very tight place and have to mirror weld daily. Weld all pipe using tig
Pros
great pay
Cons
working all 3-11
Productive workplace
Marine Electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VaAugust 2, 2015
Great place to work and learn new things. I have been learning new things everyday with this company in all aspects of my job title. I can be an asset anywhere I go with my training.
contamination worker (Former Employee) –  newport news, vaJuly 30, 2015
I learn how to become a leader, a very skillful and crafty sheet metal mechanic. The ship yard was a great place to work and I enjoyed my 9 years with the company
Pros
beneifts, and opportunties for advancement
Cons
management and how they treat the hourly workers
nice place to work
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, vaJuly 27, 2015
arrive at work at 7 am and preform whatever job duties required for the day. After receiving work order and looking at the drawing report to where the job is located on the ship and begin to prepare for the job, once finished report to supervisor for additional work. Day ends at 3:30
Pros
healthcare
Good choice but keep your options open
Production Planner and Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, vaJuly 20, 2015
The shipyard is a very secure job, however, they have poor management. You will see that the atmosphere (depending on your location) is very laid-back and relaxed. They allow you to keep flexible schedules.
Great benefits
Deck Electrician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 16, 2015
Benefits are great. Enjoyed being a part of working on the Gerald Ford ship. Not so thrilled about being loaned out to another department and switching from day shift to nights.
Pros
Great benefits.
productive safe work environment
welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 15, 2015
great place to learn and grow. Cannot receive experience like this anywhere else. much room to move up in company. co-workers are friendly