Huntington Ingalls

Huntington Ingalls Employee Reviews

incompetent managment
Electrician (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSJune 19, 2015
Supervisor was not competent and should not have been in that position. co-workers were alright to work with and around. Alot of nepotism there and playing favorites. not my cup of tea
A Welder's input
2nd Class Structural Welder (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSJune 12, 2015
Pros: Great healthcare, 30 minute lunch, free tools and benefits, 410K and retirement packages
Cons: The drive home was behind about 10, 000 other coworkers. Sometimes taking over an hour to get home.
I would get up about 4:15 am and drive into the shipyard located roughly five miles from my home. Walk about 2.1 miles into the shipyard from the parking lot and onto LPD 26 where I would arrive at my team meeting spot to await my general manager and my supervisor every morning. My GM and supervisor would set out their expectations and schedules and lead us to our areas and we would begin work. I made quite a lot of friends among my crew and we would often help each other when the other would need help, (i.e. moving lines, machine locating, box locating, wire, tools, & air lines). The hardest part of my days included the arduous heat and stair climbing; sometimes a dozen levels at once. I enjoyed the friends I made, the company I kept in my work crew, but overall I loved the welding. The hardest part of my job was moving lines to my area through mazes and tight spots, but I always had the help of my crew. The complications and solutions of it, helping teach the new welders in my crew things they had never thought to try. Helping others and myself to achieve a happy workplace environment, building our Navy Vessels, and welding in general made me happy. I would then get off work at 2:30 and walk back to my car, and maybe make it home by 3:15.
Taking advantage of opportunities
Marine Painter (Current Employee), Newport News, VaJune 7, 2015
Pros: great opportunity for education
Cons: the environment
Working here afforded me the opportunity to go back to school and some financial stability. I had the opportunity of being a Make up Foreman for 8 months with my own crew. During that time I organized and managed to sell at least 50 spaces to the Navy with no issues. I received many praises for my work ethics and leadership.
Everyone is bitter
Chemist (Current Employee), Pascagoula, MSJune 4, 2015
Pros: It's better than being unemployed?
Cons: Only 30 minutes for lunch makes going to the cafeteria impossible for most people
Almost everyone that works here is frustrated and bitter. A major source of frustration is just getting to/from work. Everyone complains about the parking and the company never addresses it. Even official company documents describing guidelines for parking and traffic refer to the parking lots as incomplete, and also states that parking is considered a privilege (whatever that means). Upper management only cares about the stock price. Period. Last year they delayed our merit increases and took away a paid holiday trying to reach a 9% operating cost. We get flex time, but its very limited. We can't work through lunch and leave early on Friday for example. Speaking of lunch, we only get 30 minutes, and if you aren't in a department with a mule or company vehicle it's practically impossible to make it to the cafeteria, eat, and back to your location in time. The time is very strict also. For example, lunch is from 11:00 to 11:30, but if I go through the gate before 11:04, I will get in trouble because it should take me at least 4 minutes to walk to the gate from where I am. The same applies to start and end of shift. The shift ends at 2:30, but if you leave before 2:34 you get in trouble. Everyone ends up standing around in front of the gate until 2:34, or whatever the limit is for their location. We get PTO, but it doesn't do any good to save it up. The yard shuts down for two weeks in the winter and we only get paid for one. The other week has to come out of your PTO if you need the money. So that pretty much eliminates any possibility of vacation. The pay is also not very competitive, at least not in my field. The people who last at this company are the ones who weren't good enough to find anything better. So like most of the highly skilled professionals that have worked here, I'm using this job as a platform to find something else.
Very family oriented, had several ship tours and launches that families could attend, holiday gatherings for everyone
Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee), Avondale, LAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Events for the whole family for the holidays
Cons: Huge company so, you were treated by Corporate as a number.
Northrop Grumman was a very good company to work for.
Compensation and Benefits were great.
Job Security/Advancement was good when I worked there but,
unfortunately they elected to close the facility so, I was left
without a job.
Management was held accountable for their actions.
I would definitely encourage anyone to work for Northrop Grumman.
Productive workplace with great benefits and plenty of overtime
Radiological Control Technician (Current Employee), Newport News, VAMay 31, 2015
Huntington Ingalls is a great place to work with plenty of job opportunities. A typical day as a Radiological Technician is to provide oversight of radiological work. .
Productive and safe job environment
Sheet Metal Worker (Current Employee), Newport News, VAMay 31, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to move ahead and free education
Cons: working in tight spots that you couldn't work in for a long period of time
Huntington Ingalls is a great place to work. There is always work to be done. The environment is very friendly, every employee tries to get along with others. They acknowledge that safety is a very big concern for them. They try to prevent any safety hazards and give tips on how to be safe on and off the job. They care about their employees health they do different types of health screening to ensure that the employees are healthy and can do the job at task. They strive for the employee to get ahead whether it be on the job or in education. The on the job training ensures you get the knowledge of what you are be asked to do on the job. A typical day at work was educational i learned something new every time i got a new job assignment. The hardest part of the job was coming to a part in the job where you had to wait on another trade to come and complete their part of the job. You would have to come to a complete stop and couldnt go further in your job until they finished theirs or you had to have another trade come take something down or move it because it was in the way or put in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the day was felling accomplished when you finished a job ahead of time and saved the company money.
Great place for opportunities!
Machinist (Current Employee), Pascagoula, MSMay 29, 2015
Management needs work, but a great place to work on your craft , and to try other trades. If you apply yourself and take advantage of all opportunities you surely move forward in this company.
It was a nice place to work, because you meet there different cultures people.
Marine Ship Yard Electrician (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMay 13, 2015
The most important that I learned is to build navy ship, and coast guard ship that protects our nation. in the electrical part it was different from regular industrial electrical system. The hardest thing there was the heat and hot weather.
Great job for those who dont mind getting dirty.
Structural Welder (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Great work experience, benefits
Cons: short lunch 20min
As a welder for Huntington Ingalls you'll find yourself in the sun during the middle of summer in overalls welding nine hours a day. This may sound unappealing for some but it's actually rewarding to put in a hard days work and with hardship comes an escalation of comradery between you and the members of the crew you're assigned to. You have a sense of accomplishment after completing a job but sadly after two years the novelty of it all had worn off for me.

Huntington Ingalls also does a good job looking after it's employees. They provide education benefits, additional training to jump start one's career, gym membership discount and health insurance.
great place
Designer (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMay 1, 2015
This is a good stable place to work with plenty of opportunities to move around or to advance. Has benefits and company perks.
Great Senior Leadership Team
Sheet Metal Value Stream Leader (Analyst 4) (Current Employee), Newport News, VAApril 19, 2015
A tightened government budget has limited the shipbuilding sector's growth potential. Due to the constrained resources of the Navy, the company's culture has become more focused on short term survival at the cost of future growth and sustainability.
A good place to work
Pipe Foreman (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSApril 16, 2015
They offer real good programs, with a lot of oppurtunity to learn. The hardest part of the job is to get there. Huntington Ingalls has taught me a lot that I can carry with me for the rest of my life.
Productive place to work
Structural Welder (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Ability to work overtime
This was a productive place to work. I was able to continue developing my skills as a Structural Welder. I'm currently looking for a role where I can continue to grow professionally and advance in the
company.
Marine Electrician (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMarch 16, 2015
Pros: plenty of work
Cons: not much room for advancement
Work was challenging working in a shipyard. Safety is stressed among work personnel. The work is steady and always expanding.
Would be great with better management
Half Hat (Current Employee), PascagoulaMarch 11, 2015
Overall decent work place needs to revamp management and planning. Some favor shown to family members shown throughout shipyard. Some great craftsman employed there.
very unorganized
Welder (Current Employee), Pascagoula, MSMarch 7, 2015
This company needs a restructure. Lot of things I disagree with. They don't communicate an plan very well. They allow to much waste to go on. Safety will over look or actually walk over trip hazards to get someone for not having earplugs in. Over all they have lots of work an pay is good.
how the day starts
structural welder/fire watch/heat straightener (Current Employee), Pascagoula, MSFebruary 16, 2015
Your day starts with a nice long walk to your job site where you wait for 6 o clock so you can get your task sheet and start your day
General Overview
Engineer III/IV (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: involved in all aspects of project managment
Cons: projects are long lead items
Working a Newport News Shipbuilding as a mechanical engineer is very different than other departments. Mechanical engineers are required to be involved in all aspects of designing, purchasing, maintaining, testing and installing equipment. The hardest but most enjoyable part of the job is that from day to day one may have to adjust to what aspect of the project one has to work on for that day.
Culture of Mediocrity
employee (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 10, 2015
This company is the sole supplier to a sole customer. There is no drive to compete with anyone else, so the result is widespread mediocrity. There is no drive to promote the best "person" when the best "friend" applied for the same job. No drive to take chances on improvements when a less efficient technique from 1959 has always worked, why change it. No reason to retain a good employee when the company makes more by having two people half as capable split the job up.

That said, there are some great people working there as they have little other option in this geographic area.

1 2 3 4 5