Huntington Learning Center

Huntington Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great placde to work.
Center Director (Former Employee), Lake Elsinore, CAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Flexible work scheduling
Cons: Parking and traveling
Great place to work and help children in the community improve socially and academically. It was rewarding to see progress in students.
Easy tutoring job
Reading Comprehension and Math Tutor (Current Employee), Turnersville, NJJune 3, 2015
You only work a couple of hours a day and you do not need to take any work home. The full time staff plans the curriculum and the teacher is just required to implement it.
Challenging and fulfilling work place to guide young learners.
Tutor (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMay 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule
Cons: No room for advancement
I enjoyed working at Huntington Learning Center. The staff and fellow tutors were friendly and helpful. The biggest reward was guiding, mentoring and helping young people improve their study skills and abilities in core content areas. Relating their lives and experiences to their school work or the Center's programmed instruction.
Fun and rewarding place to work!
Center Director (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible although long schedules
I loved my position as Center Director at Huntington Learning Center! I loved working with the children and with families and seeing the relief and pride on their faces when they succeeded. I liked the on-going training I received and the support I got from Corporate management. I great place to work!
great environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 4, 2015
great environment to work but it is not secure. gets slow during the summer and fast during the winter months. great pay but not consistent.
Huntington Learning Center was a dynamic company geared to teaching an empowering children to excell academically.
Program Director (Former Employee), University Heights, OHApril 21, 2015
Huntington Learning Center afforded me the opportunity to grow and excell in another area of education. The most enjoyable part of this job was watching children grasp educational concepts and succeed at achieving their academic goals.
SAT Tutoring is fun
Tutor (Current Employee), Livingston NJMarch 23, 2015
Pros: enjoyable work, great co-workers
Cons: low pay, erratic schedule, no benefits
Tutoring for Huntington Learning Center is a very rewarding part-time job. If you enjoy teaching things to people, then one-on-one tutoring for Huntington is a dream job. The students are well-behaved and the staff is a joy.

However it is not possible to make a living tutoring for Huntington. The schedule is erratic and the pay is low. The tutor's pay depends on the student's presence so if the student is scheduled to appear but does not, then the tutor is not paid.

It is a great part-time job for graduate students, retirees, or people in transition. I enjoy working there and the people with whom I work are excellent.
Productive and active learning center
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee), Geneva, ILMarch 21, 2015
Pros: working with students and awesome staff members!
Cons: scheduling depended on the times students would arrive, making traveling difficult and sometimes frustrating.
In particular, the staff I worked with at Huntington Learning Center in Geneva, Illinois were spectacular! They were positively involved and engaged with its students and staff. I would aim to create a safe, inviting, positive, and fun learning environment for students to help them work on areas in need of improvement, or further advancement.

The most difficult aspect of the job was catering for each individual student in a social way, some students had mental differences which made learning and experiencing learning difficult, causing severe behavioral reactions. I calmly and rationally handled situations like these, while trying to work to change the situation into a positive one.

The most enjoyable aspect includes spending time with the students and working with them creatively! It was this aspect and the amount of room management would allow to help teachers work and interact with students that allowed for both teachers and students to have a very wonderful educational experience!
great people but dying company
Tutor for No Child Left Behind Program (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 7, 2015
people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production. people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production. people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production.
Not very great.
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: opportunity to build relationships with the staff, opportunity to work with kids, able to see academic progress with kids
Cons: no lunch breaks, low compensation, inconsistent hours, not paid on time, unable to discuss progress with parents
Monitor kids and make sure they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing in their individualized learning program.
Good company, bad managment
Exam Prep Coordinator/ Teacher/ Assistant Director (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Cons: high ft-staff turnover rate, pay could be better
The company's programs are proven to work, said not as an employee, said as someone who has simply seen their Learning Center (LC) and Exam Prep (EP) programs work.
The teachers make the environment an enjoyable place to work, but there is a high turnover rate in the full-time staff which can be irksome.
Welcoming company and branch.
Tutor all (Former Employee), Downers Grove, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Work with 1-5 students per session. Provide tutoring support, as well as work through company curriculum with each student.
Fun workplace, with great coworkes
Tutor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: clean work enviornment, great coworkers
Cons: short breaks, no health care
A typpical day is never typical. Each day is different, as each student is different. I have learned that I really enjoy working working with children. Management and my coworkers are great for the most part. We don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but we always manage to work out our differences and find a solution to whatever problems arise. The hardest part of the job is getting each student to be motivated to learn and do better in school. Somtimes they don't always want to listen and that can be a bit frustrating at times. The best part of the job is seeing that light bulb that goes off in a kid's head when they learn something new or they grasp a concept that had troubled them for a long time.
A great part-time Job!
Tutor (Current Employee), Turnersville, NJJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Huntington Learning Center is a great place to work for those with a background in education who enjoy working with kids. It is a part-time position with flexible hours (mostly evenings). I have been able to gain a lot of valuable experience teaching foundational skills to students.
Great program-horrible corporate support
Franchisee/Director (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: teaching children
Cons: corporate office
I enjoyed owning the center and working with children. The program was an excellent product but little to no support from the Corp. office. The franchise was too expensive to run and too expensive for most famililies to afford making it difficult to stay open.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Center Director (Current Employee), Geneva, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: love my students, making a difference
Cons: benefits
I love watching my students as they improve their academic skills. I've developed great rapport with not only my staff and students, but also the parents. When I get a phone call regarding gains a student has made, that call makes me realize that I played a role in the student success.
Fun and Flexible
Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee), Hamilton, NJJanuary 5, 2015
Huntington Learning Center is a great place to work for those with a background in education who enjoy working with kids. It is a part-time position with flexible hours (mostly evenings). I have been able to gain a lot of valuable experiance teaching foundational skills.
A great part-time, part-time job
Tutor (Current Employee), Woodstock, GAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: having a low stress second income
Cons: some might want more hours
It is a great place to work if you are looking for a few extra hours a week. I work there as a second job and enjoy having >10 hrs a week extra salary. The management and other employees are very helpful and supportive. The hardest part of the job is knowing where all the different curriculum are and the best ones to choose for your student when you are a new tutor. Overall it is an enjoyable place to work.
BEWARE - employees and parents. Just a horrible experience.
Assistant Director (Former Employee), VirginiaDecember 19, 2014
Pros: working with students
Cons: perfect place if you like the high stress, no work-life balance lifestyle.
I worked for this company for a year and a half, and, to sum the experience, it feels that I have worked there for over ten years - probably because I worked seven days a week and over 60 hours a week. We were not allowed to have lunch breaks because as our contract says "it is the nature of the business". What makes it even better is during the summer when you have to get to work at 8 am and stay till 10pm, so you are missing two meals (but "hey, it's the nature of the business). It is just a horrible situation for people's health. Many of the full-time staff members developed stress induced illness over the short months they were there. The owner of the business made you feel horrible everyday - when we got into work we were constantly told that we were not "producing the cash flow", yet we were acquiring enough customers to pay bills, payroll, etc. Yet none of these bills would be paid. We constantly had our water, electric, and gas cut off and also notice of unpaid rent. No supplies were ever bought for our centers. So you may ask were does the money go??? Good question. Parents pay approx. $5,000 or more on average for their child to go there. Although parents were paying for individualized instruction or 4:1 ratio, our owner refused to pay for teachers to work with the student, so it ended up that many of the students were under served. When parents asked for refunds (no matter what the reason), they would have to wait over a year for their funds to come back. Everything that you read on BBB, Facebook, Yelp, Google, etc. as a review is ABSOLUTELY true. Teachers are not – more... being paid; payroll is constantly cut off at certain times (and teachers pay is 2 months behind). Personally, I am waiting for my last paycheck still, and I know of three other employees who have yet to be paid after they quit. You may call corporate but they say their hands are tied. There is no compensation for overtime, mileage (and you will put about 100 miles a day on your car), and, despite the owner offering bonus, you will not see it. Owner also says they will pay for healthcare, and then you find out that it was not paid (even though it was deducted from your check). You will not get vacation or sick leave.

It is sad because this could be a great company, but there are people who should NEVER own a business. EVER. I stayed for my students and families because that is what it should be about. When the clients were not the priority and money was, then it was time to leave. – less
Great after school job.
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 3, 2014
As a grad student, it is hard to find a job that pays bills that will work with my school schedule, so being a tutor seemed like the best option because after school is the only time the center is open.

1 2 3 4 5

About Huntington Learning Center

Huntington Learning Center is a chain of educational service centers in the United States. Huntington is the oldest provider of – Read more

Huntington Learning Center Salaries