Huntington Learning Center

Huntington Learning Center Employee Reviews in United States

Teacher/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 6, 2016
I have learned a lot at Huntington Learning Center. They provided many strategies for teachers to use. The documentation procedures are very easy to use when teaching students. It's a friendly work atmosphere. It gave me opportunities to see growth.
Pros
Easy to learn strategies and apply documentation, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Obviously more pay, only part time
Don't ask Jeff Cummins for a reference.
teacher (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 24, 2016
I worked there for over 4 years. Rarely called out sick, was always on time, worked well with the students, etc etc. I put my notice in after 4 years. I literally had to hassle the 'manager' (I have seen better managers at McDonald's) for a reference letter....
I had to inquire about it for weeks, even months after I had stopped working there. When I finally got it, it was clear that he half-assed it. The whole HLC thing is a waste of money if you ask me. Parents can find more individualized tutoring out there at a fraction of the cost. AND when working there, they pretty much give groups of students work to do and let them be. It is weak, and after dealing with Jeff, I can see why.
You also have to ask for your own raises.
OH and for sh**'s sake, post the schedule more than 5 days in advance. (beware of James too, he is high on himself and mad that he is stuck there rather than somewhere further in education.)
Pros
n/a
Cons
many
horrible work place
tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY upper east sideJanuary 16, 2016
i worked with this company for a few days in december, i had trouble getting my check, I contacted the company several times to get my check and nothing. I went into there location to the assistant director telling me they shredded my paper work and they needed another voided check from me. i had to refill paper work that i had already given them, in order to get paid.

management didn't handle the situation the best way they could, they simply didn't care or respond to me after contacting them several times. i had to go corporate in order to get answers after they deposited someone's else's check in my account. this was by far the worst experience i've had working with a company and dealing with management.
Cons
management isn't great, they speak to you like they don't care.
Productive and dedicated staff
Individual Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
Student-centered instruction, competent common core oriented subject instructors, and dedicated staff who continually monitor student progress.
Pros
Flexibility, individual teaching
Cons
set hours
Huntington
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDDecember 1, 2015
Working at Huntington Learning Center was a great experience because I was able to learn a new learning system, follow individualized programs and work with students in small settings. I tutored SAT prep, middle and high school aged students in small groups, and early childhood one-on-one. I was working with students within my own community and it was such a positive learning environment to be a part of.
rewarding working with students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed the opportunity to help students gain a better understanding of material. The facility was organized and the other employees were happy and worked well together.
love to help student to succeed
math instructor (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJuly 1, 2016
ceo its a great person and learn a lot , i wish every tutoring companies are like this, management its great , and coworkers are fun and helpful ,
Wonderful
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 23, 2016
Staff is wonderful! It's a great place to work.You can make your owe hours and work the days that you can. Really enjoy being part of the team there.
Huntington
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 31, 2015
The director and all the other teachers are confident and certified to teach. The curriculum is relevant for each and every student.
Pros
The hours are workable as a part-time position.
Cons
Sometimes the times conflict with other prioritized meetings.
Great place to work,. It was amazing to see students doing well . Also the Parents were pleased with the results
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLOctober 9, 2015
Great environment, attendance of students was low and they could not keep business open. My supervisor was fair and very experienced. It was great to see students making progress, enjoy reading and not having to struggle so hard in school. The co-workers were helpful and friendly. All the staff care about these kids and had compassion. Sometimes the kids would have to vent about their day, after listening to them, they were happy to have someone listen to them. and were more focused at the tasks at hand great company overall.
Pros
Students were great to work with, administration was very good. I really enjoyed the position
Cons
went out of business
If you like helping children and teens, this is an excellent and rewarding place to work.
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 27, 2015
The working hours are good. Tutors can balance them with other responsibilities. You have a chance to work with a variety of students which make things both interesting and challenging.
Pros
Good working hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
short breaks
One-on-one working
TEACHER/TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 2, 2016
This is a great place where you can work one-on-one with students where they need help. It is pricey, but it works and students are able to show growth in school.
Huntington Learning Center is an excellent tool to improve students reading and math skills
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia Public SchoolsSeptember 19, 2015
Huntington Learning Center was a part-time after school program which allowed me to better know the students and their learning needs. It really encouragement to be creative with lesson plans so, students could experience how learning is fun!
Pros
Great for teachers to increase their teaching experiences
Cons
Only part-time
Great staff
Achievement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 11, 2015
Enjoyed collaborating with the Director of Institutional Planning to maintain links between academic assessment and institutional effectiveness, budgeting, and planning at the center.
Not the greatest company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 3, 2015
Honestly I did not enjoy working at this company, and it seems like it is a dying company with little to no business. When I worked there they were hardly busy, and they shortly closed down afterwards.
Educational and Productive Environment
Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hartsdale, NYAugust 24, 2015
Very supportive management and everyone works together as a team to get things accomplished. In this type of environment you are able to make a difference and impact a child's life in a positive way. Each staff member is on board with the needs of each student who comes through the door. Working closely together helps maintain a positive work environment for the children and it ensures the parents we are doing our best to get their children where they need to be in school.
Pros
Seeing a child excel in something he or she has struggled with
Cons
Hours fuctuate
Great entry level tutoring
tutor (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILDecember 2, 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff and students at Huntington. I learned quite a few valuable tutoring strategies, and how to teach according to a student's learning style.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2015
Co workers truly work together and support each other. Management is good hours are flexible. Training is good staff and management trains you and you can watch videos on line. What I don't like is that you don't get paid if your student does not show up. too regimented program we are required to use the books the center provides.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
not enough hours, no benefits student does not come you do not get paid
Supportive Colleague Collaboration
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KansasJuly 20, 2015
State of the art technology available for all staff, secure location for students and families. Colleagues and management were highly professional and focused on helping each family and student's individual needs. Hardest part of the job, was only having a small window of time for each student. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a student come to fruition of their goals and accomplishments. Numerous resources available to problem solve specific student's hurdles between tutoring times.
Pros
Fantastic Colleagues, Appreciate Management
Cons
Required monthly meetings that may not pertain to you.
Enjoyable work helping students improve their academic skills.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2015
A typical day at work involves instructing primary and middle school students in reading, math, and study skills. My role is expanding to administrative tasks, as well: computer skills, answering phones, customer service. I have learned the Huntington instructional process and many needed skills for the administrative tasks. The management is strong and very helpful when direction is needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students and also becoming more involved with parents via the administrative tasks. The hardest part of the job is referring to my thorough notes when performing administrative duties.

2.9