Huntington Learning Center

Huntington Learning Center Employee Reviews

Educational and Productive Environment
Head Teacher (Current Employee), Hartsdale, NYAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Seeing a child excel in something he or she has struggled with
Cons: Hours fuctuate
Very supportive management and everyone works together as a team to get things accomplished. In this type of environment you are able to make a difference and impact a child's life in a positive way. Each staff member is on board with the needs of each student who comes through the door. Working closely together helps maintain a positive work environment for the children and it ensures the parents we are doing our best to get their children where they need to be in school.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: not enough hours, no benefits student does not come you do not get paid
Co workers truly work together and support each other. Management is good hours are flexible. Training is good staff and management trains you and you can watch videos on line. What I don't like is that you don't get paid if your student does not show up. too regimented program we are required to use the books the center provides.
Supportive Colleague Collaboration
Teacher (Former Employee), Olathe, KansasJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Fantastic Colleagues, Appreciate Management
Cons: Required monthly meetings that may not pertain to you.
State of the art technology available for all staff, secure location for students and families. Colleagues and management were highly professional and focused on helping each family and student's individual needs. Hardest part of the job, was only having a small window of time for each student. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a student come to fruition of their goals and accomplishments. Numerous resources available to problem solve specific student's hurdles between tutoring times.
Enjoyable work helping students improve their academic skills.
Instructor (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2015
A typical day at work involves instructing primary and middle school students in reading, math, and study skills. My role is expanding to administrative tasks, as well: computer skills, answering phones, customer service. I have learned the Huntington instructional process and many needed skills for the administrative tasks. The management is strong and very helpful when direction is needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students and also becoming more involved with parents via the administrative tasks. The hardest part of the job is referring to my thorough notes when performing administrative duties.
Great place to gain experience!
Teacher (Current Employee), Valencia, CAJuly 13, 2015
I love working at Huntington Learning Center because of all the different types of students I'm exposed to. I have grown very much as a teacher, and I feel as if HLC has prepared me to become an even better teacher.
The corporation and philosophy behind this business is phenomenal. The training provided and technology advancements are ongoing.
Center Director (Former Employee), State College, PAJuly 13, 2015
The support from this corporation is readily available. I worked in a franchise store as the center director, which was a great experience. Unfortunately, the owners didn't follow all of the protocols outlined by Huntington and ended up failing due to financial difficulties. With the time, money and drive this would be a great franchise to pursue opening.
Working over 60 hours per week no benefits, teachers not paid on time
Center Director (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJuly 7, 2015
I love working with teachers and providing services to students. I was not in control of payroll and therefore, was subjected to teachers being paid late by the owners. The overall model was very antiquated and not functional to the learning needs of students. SAT program was excellent.
Great placde to work.
Center Director (Former Employee), Lake Elsinore, CAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Flexible work scheduling
Cons: Parking and traveling
Great place to work and help children in the community improve socially and academically. It was rewarding to see progress in students.
Easy tutoring job
Reading Comprehension and Math Tutor (Current Employee), Turnersville, NJJune 3, 2015
You only work a couple of hours a day and you do not need to take any work home. The full time staff plans the curriculum and the teacher is just required to implement it.
Challenging and fulfilling work place to guide young learners.
Tutor (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMay 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule
Cons: No room for advancement
I enjoyed working at Huntington Learning Center. The staff and fellow tutors were friendly and helpful. The biggest reward was guiding, mentoring and helping young people improve their study skills and abilities in core content areas. Relating their lives and experiences to their school work or the Center's programmed instruction.
Fun and rewarding place to work!
Center Director (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible although long schedules
I loved my position as Center Director at Huntington Learning Center! I loved working with the children and with families and seeing the relief and pride on their faces when they succeeded. I liked the on-going training I received and the support I got from Corporate management. I great place to work!
great environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 4, 2015
great environment to work but it is not secure. gets slow during the summer and fast during the winter months. great pay but not consistent.
Huntington Learning Center was a dynamic company geared to teaching an empowering children to excell academically.
Program Director (Former Employee), University Heights, OHApril 21, 2015
Huntington Learning Center afforded me the opportunity to grow and excell in another area of education. The most enjoyable part of this job was watching children grasp educational concepts and succeed at achieving their academic goals.
SAT Tutoring is fun
Tutor (Current Employee), Livingston NJMarch 23, 2015
Pros: enjoyable work, great co-workers
Cons: low pay, erratic schedule, no benefits
Tutoring for Huntington Learning Center is a very rewarding part-time job. If you enjoy teaching things to people, then one-on-one tutoring for Huntington is a dream job. The students are well-behaved and the staff is a joy.

However it is not possible to make a living tutoring for Huntington. The schedule is erratic and the pay is low. The tutor's pay depends on the student's presence so if the student is scheduled to appear but does not, then the tutor is not paid.

It is a great part-time job for graduate students, retirees, or people in transition. I enjoy working there and the people with whom I work are excellent.
Productive and active learning center
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee), Geneva, ILMarch 21, 2015
Pros: working with students and awesome staff members!
Cons: scheduling depended on the times students would arrive, making traveling difficult and sometimes frustrating.
In particular, the staff I worked with at Huntington Learning Center in Geneva, Illinois were spectacular! They were positively involved and engaged with its students and staff. I would aim to create a safe, inviting, positive, and fun learning environment for students to help them work on areas in need of improvement, or further advancement.

The most difficult aspect of the job was catering for each individual student in a social way, some students had mental differences which made learning and experiencing learning difficult, causing severe behavioral reactions. I calmly and rationally handled situations like these, while trying to work to change the situation into a positive one.

The most enjoyable aspect includes spending time with the students and working with them creatively! It was this aspect and the amount of room management would allow to help teachers work and interact with students that allowed for both teachers and students to have a very wonderful educational experience!
great people but dying company
Tutor for No Child Left Behind Program (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 7, 2015
people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production. people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production. people are nice. great work life balance as long as you don't work in editorial or production.
Not very great.
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: opportunity to build relationships with the staff, opportunity to work with kids, able to see academic progress with kids
Cons: no lunch breaks, low compensation, inconsistent hours, not paid on time, unable to discuss progress with parents
Monitor kids and make sure they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing in their individualized learning program.
Good company, bad managment
Exam Prep Coordinator/ Teacher/ Assistant Director (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Cons: high ft-staff turnover rate, pay could be better
The company's programs are proven to work, said not as an employee, said as someone who has simply seen their Learning Center (LC) and Exam Prep (EP) programs work.
The teachers make the environment an enjoyable place to work, but there is a high turnover rate in the full-time staff which can be irksome.
Welcoming company and branch.
Tutor all (Former Employee), Downers Grove, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Work with 1-5 students per session. Provide tutoring support, as well as work through company curriculum with each student.
Fun workplace, with great coworkes
Tutor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: clean work enviornment, great coworkers
Cons: short breaks, no health care
A typpical day is never typical. Each day is different, as each student is different. I have learned that I really enjoy working working with children. Management and my coworkers are great for the most part. We don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but we always manage to work out our differences and find a solution to whatever problems arise. The hardest part of the job is getting each student to be motivated to learn and do better in school. Somtimes they don't always want to listen and that can be a bit frustrating at times. The best part of the job is seeing that light bulb that goes off in a kid's head when they learn something new or they grasp a concept that had troubled them for a long time.
Industry