Huntsville Hospital Employee Reviews

Terrible schedule with even worse management
Slave (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 28, 2014
I received very little training upon receiving this job. It was a learn-as-you-go type situation. The supervisors below me provided little to no support in my attempt to learn the daily operations. We we short staffed and management did little to nothing to hire new employees. Instead, my manager overworked myself and the supervisors, often having us work third shift and then turn around the next day and come in for second shift. Managers have every weekend off and could care less if myself or the supervisors ever had two consecutive days off - let alone a weekend.

My manager had little to know computer knowledge and couldn't spell the simplest of words. Very poor communication skills and bad attitude. She often would make out the employee schedule and miss scheduling people to fill in positions, so people would be doing double duties due to her careless work.

The director was a well-known tyrant with poor communication skills and also very little computer skills. His lack of general knowledge was very apparent in his emails which contained misspellings of simple words - spell check was too hard to learn to use apparently.

He would bring employees into his office to perpetuate rumors. He would also ask questions in a "confidential" environment and then blab everything you said to who he was asking you about, just to keep drama and conflict alive and well. He seems to feed on drama.

The director and my manager were obviously intimidated by individuals with higher education and an ability to speak and write clearly. In fact, he used to tell me all the time my manager was rude
  more... to me and intimidated by me due to my intelligence and her lack of. He also told me he only hired her due to his lack of options when he needed a manager and that he has regretted it ever since. This is the type of smack he would say when people weren't around. He did this just to see if you could keep your mouth shut, and if not, he got the pleasure of yelling at you in front of his assistant because of things HE said.

I was witness to him yelling at our former executive chef in front of the entire cafeteria, while she cried, and the catering manager in a public hallway in front of multiple people. This was a daily occurrence. He loved to yell at people who were obviously smarter than him in front of people in an attempt to make them look deficient. How HR hasn't had a serious conversation with this man about his management "skills" is beyond me.

The turnover rate in this department was ridiculously high. During my time of employment, the following positions became vacant; executive chef, patient services manager, patient services coordinator, retail coordinator, retail supervisor x2, business assistant, IT coordinator & catering manager. These are nearly all decently paying salary positions, but the pay wasn't enough to outweigh all the other BS which accompanied working in this department.

Beware certain departments at Huntsville Hospital. I know this sounds like I've got a personal bone to pick, but my employment experience there was not an uncommon one here. I guess that's why there's constantly multiple job openings in this department.....people wouldn't leave a salary position in this economy without good reason.
Pros
gaining an understanding of self-worth
Cons
hours, management, training, lack of staff, high turnover, drama
Poor Management
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 2, 2015
The HH laboratory is seriously in need of new management. In the interview you are promised so many things and so the job seems perfect at first. If it seems too good to be true at Huntsville Hospital, it probably is. If you look on the HH career site and see several openings for Phlebotomy Techs, it's for a reason. No one wants to work there.

Promised: a Monday-Thursday 10:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. schedule.
Given: an erratic schedule that could end up being 6 nights in a row, with 1 day off. then another 4 nights. Always worked weekends. Not once got a schedule that looked anything like what was promised. Lab coordinator would add you on for extra days, or switch your days around without asking your or even telling you. So then if you don't show up because you didn't know you were on the schedule, they give you an attendance point. It's ludicrous.

Promised: Excellent, thorough training. Walking around with another person to observe and practice. Then have someone follow you around to observe your technique until ready to go alone.
Given: One shift to observe with a trainer who didn't want to have someone following them, so didn't teach anything. Next shift, had to go with someone who did not want to train, only wanted to make me do all the work while she was on her phone. Then thrown out on my own without being asked if ready.

Promised: Manageable workload to start, then gradually add on more patients when comfortable. Start with 25-30 patients per shift, then add on a few more here and there until comfortable sticking 40 or more per shift.
Given: Immediately given 60+ patients
  more... to try and get to within one shift. Then, when you can only do 25-30 like you told them you could, nurses yell at you and speak to you as if you are incompetent for not getting the labs drawn on time. Then they write up QRR reports on you, and guess what? The blame is all on you for not getting it done, when you told management all along (and they promised you would get) a manageable workload in the beginning.

It's horrendous. It's stressful.

This is the place for you if you enjoy the following:
1. Bullying
2. Cliques, gossip, and name calling
3. Poor management
4. Workloads that cannot be handled by any one human being
5. Co-workers that call out constantly, leaving you with extra work on top of what you already can't get done
6. Co-workers that then come back to work talking about how they called out to go on a trip or go to a birthday party
7. No consistent schedule
8. No respect for your personal time or life

On a completely different note, the food at Huntsville Hospital's cafeteria is awesome.
Pros
cafeteria food is good
Cons
bullying, cliques, gossip, name calling, poor management, stressful workloads, scheduling problems
It's all about the bottom dollar! / Quanity not Quality
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville HospitalJune 27, 2014
The Security and Safety team does not take security seriously. The officers do, however the real problem lies within management and above. They fail to understand the true meaning of security and most of your shift will be filled with routine assignments. You will not have the freedom of being proactive and generating incident reports due to time restraints of accomplishing prior arranged tasks (such as locking doors, routine checks that must be filled out, issuing visitor passes, and giving breaks) you will be on your feet all shift long rushing yourself in attempt to complete tasks. There is anywhere between 6-8 security officers on shift, however only 1 or 2 are actually available to be able to respond to any type of crisis. The medical staff will look down upon you and complain about you, and when you say something about it security management will always side with medical staff. You will soon get the realization that you are nothing more than a warm body to fill up space. If you have little to no security experience the department will quickly bring you in as an in house employee, this way they will not be forced to go out of their budget. For those of you with 8+ years of security experience be wary!!! you will be nothing but a temporary slot for them. HR determines pay based on experience and if you have too much the management will more than likely hold an in house position over your head just so they can keep you long enough until a new academy graduates and they have cheaper force available.
Security Department Huntsville Hospital
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Huntsville ALJuly 29, 2013
Huntsville Hospital is great place to receive medical care, however the security department is not a place you want to work. Huntsville Hospital Security is filled with incompetent managers. Security guards at Huntsville Hospital are treated pretty bad. The management staff simply looks at the bottom line and does not care about the individuals that work under them. They issue you a taser to use in case that you need it to protect yourself or another person. Believe it or not medicare and medicaid has stated that if anyone uses a taser at Huntsville Hospital they will not fund the hospital any longer. For this reason you are told if you use your taser you will be fired. So the security department places you in unsafe situations where you are the only individual that can handle the violent patients but mostly you are on your own when this happens. If you use your taser you are fired regardless. Also even if you are working and you try to do your job properly the managers at the security department do not even agree on what you are supposed to be doing and there fore constantly berate you because you can't do your job right. The working conditions at Huntsville Hospitals security department leave everyone at risk. The employees are the ones who take the abuse and the managers make sure that they look like they do a good job. You are expendable according to them.
Pros
night shift is usually quiet
Cons
long hours, low pay, incompentent managers, and high risk environment
productive
Catering & C-Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 8, 2014
great place to work , fun, everyday interesting

To produce all catering services for the agreed client standard through the catering team
To ensure financial documentation and accountancy of the unit (is accurate within agreed budgeted levels
To manage the quality and hygiene of the food cycle from preparation through to delivery
‘Walk the floor’ during service periods to ensure that excellent levels of service are being delivered to the customers
Ensure the standards across the department are in accordance with the Service Agreements
Ensure the prompt provision and efficient service of all meals and catering requirements at the specified time to the standards laid down in the catering policy
Ensure that all written communication represents a professional image to
Customers, clients and staff
Actively seek and identify opportunities for business growth both within the contract and the external market
Control all costs such as labor, expenses, and cash purchases as agreed with your department director
Recruit, manage, induct, train, motivate and appraise staff to promote good employee relations and operate within Company procedures, (Staff appraisals to be conducted at least annually)
Hold monthly team briefing meetings
Pros
free lunch
Cons
healthcare
Looking for position that will utilize my experience and knowledge
Medical Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 4, 2014
Working with BCBS follow-up and billing. This includes working older claims to see why not paid correctly and billing PT's if claim paid correct and this is PT responsibility. Getting information to BCBS to get claim paid correctly: getting medical records to them or contacting doctor's office to get diagnosis changed to get claim paid. Appealing claims, obtaining current insurance information and getting pre-certs. Answering and placing calls to/from patients, insurance and doctor's offices. I have learned a lot of ins/outs of what is insurance responsibilities and what is patients. This could be co-insurance, copays and deductibles. I am a team player, self-starter and work very well without supervision. One of the hardiest things about this position is telling the patients that the amount that is left over from their insurance company is their responsibility. The best part of this position is to get an old claim finally paid. It made all the hard work done worth it. Then informing the patient that the claim has been resolved.
Pros
this position is 40 hours, but supervisor was flexible with our time.
Cons
very high volume and the wait times on the phones with some insurance companies.
Oncology is loving and giving department to be a part of.
Patient Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, AlOctober 23, 2012
My typical day at work starts at 6:45. I usually have 10-20 beds that I am responsible for. When I come in each room, I introduce myself write my name on the board and take their vital signs at 8, 12, and 4 pm. I ask the patient how was their day, how are they feeling and do they need anything. While I am asking these question I am assessing the environment for safety and family dynamics. Later on I take blood sugars, attend to the needs of the patient, and assist the RN's.

I have learned many things on oncology. Critical thinking, end of life care, and always have a positive attitude.

Managing and prioritizing your time is very important it is the key to a successful shift.

My co-workers are wonderful. But if there us a problem, it should be discussed and if it can't be rectified, go through the chain of command. But you pick and choose your battles. Everyone has a bad day and you take people from day to day, and don't hold grudges. Each day is a new day.

The hardest part of my job is when staffing is low, but I do work well under stressful situations.

The most enjoyable part of my job is my patients, I love hearing the stories and interacting with my them. The stories they tell are enjoyable and I learn from each one.
Excellent compensation and health benefits
HEALTH UNIT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Huntsville AlabamaJune 14, 2015
Health Unit Assistant duties are to monitor patients vital signs, provide care and give information to the nurses. Maintain clean rooms for patient's.
Also work as Unit Secretary maintaining patient files for the nurses and physicians. Ordering meds and procedures for patients per request of the physician.
I learned procedures and terminology in out patient surgery.
Most co-workers were very good to work with, while some were difficult and did not give very good direction and were not professional. The hardest part of the job was learning all the procedures for ordering prescriptions and procedures at the same time having to perform patient care.
I really enjoyed learning the challenge of learning the procedures of ordering procedures and medications, I just wish I could have had a little more concentration on that part of the job rather than having to provide patient care at the same time.
Pros
Very friendly co workers made it a very enjoyable place to work
Cons
Some supervisors were unprofessional and didn't provide adequate instruction.
Huntsville Hospital is an incredible, forward thinking organization.
Director of Surgical Services (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 20, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy working at Huntsville Hospital. I have experienced tremendous personal growth and look forward to many more years in this organization.

I enjoy the strategic planning that my job allows as well as the day to day operational improvements that I am involved in. I believe I bring a unique perspective to my role because of my vast experience in many roles and services. Huntsville Hospital is one of the largest community-owned health systems in the U.S. which has allowed me to gain critical knowledge in finance, quality and operations as our health system has experienced considerable growth. Our surgical volumes and quality are among the nations best while doing so with some of the most challenging reimbursement in the nation. My worked man-hours per case is consistently the lowest in my compare groups (in most cases considerably lower). I love to embrace new challenges whatever they may be.
Pros
Large organization, diverse services
Dealing with sick patient
Unit Secretary/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 5, 2012
A typical day was taking orders not only from my nurse manager, but also the doctors. I maintained patient charts, entered orders, answered phones, and customer service.

I learned how a hospital ran on a day to day bases. I learned to be very compassionate with families and patients. I learned how to handle stressful situations.

I loved my coworkers, there may have been a few that was difficult to work with, but we mostly worked as a team.

I enjoyed helping families and patients as I could to make being in the hospital as comfortable as I could.

The hardest part was seeing patients come on the floor and knowing that the point of them being there was just to keep them comfortable. It was hard seeing the family members when their loved ones became very ill or passed away.
Pros
there is always up to date training, helping people
Cons
lunch breaks being cut into, upset families, normally no breaks
Good working environment with many opportunities to learn
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 7, 2016
There is a focused daily effort to improve the lives of those we serve. You will quickly learn that dealing with the challenges of health care forces you to be efficient, diligent, patient, caring and above all, empathetic. Management is concerned with setting and achieving operational improvement goals. There exists a healthy core of employees who take pride in their work, company and health care delivery approaches. While the unfortunate realization of the limits of health care may be the worst part of the job, the most fulfilling may be helping the patients, their loved-ones and supporters understand and cope with those limitation. There are even moments when, despite all evidence to the contrary, the outcomes are positive. That is the big win for me.
Pros
Benefits, community outreach
Cons
Negative patient outcomes
Fast pace environment, hard working
Cardiovascular Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 21, 2012
I worked at Huntsville Hospital for a while. The hospital and their services as a whole are phenomenal. It's comparison is to none and they take pride in knowing that. Technology is to the bar and rising, everyday. The environment is healthcare so it is fast pace. As far as working there, I loved it. Benefits were awesome and ability to advance was great considering they also paid for your education, should you proceed beyond your current degree/certification. They hold their people and their services to a bar that if not met, you will be booted. They strive for success. Sometimes it doesn't matter the cost.
Pros
benefits, discounts, in-house pharmacy, tuition reimbursement, continuing education online provided, free seminars, overtime
Cons
short breaks if breaks even exist, hardcore, parking and walking down street in rain to bldgs
Never a dull day working at Huntsville Hospital! You see just about everything!
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 14, 2012
Huntsville Hospital has given me great opportunity to be involved in high volume of customer service. I enjoy the department employees I work with to include the supervisors and director. Working in the nutrition department of HH we see thousands of customers daily and can become stressful, however I maintain a smile and put customers first from the first hour to the last hour of my work. I work with a high volume of cash which has to be accounted for and verified at the beginning and end of my shift.
Pros
nutrition department employees received free meals, and could swap with other employees days on your schedule should a conflict arise.
Cons
the cost of insurance for part time employees, the inconsistency of work hours.
Poor management, excellent health insurance and no room for advancement
Environmental Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 25, 2013
Although Huntsville Hospital is a health care facility, they are proud of their services they provide to their community and patients. It is impossible to advance into a different positions. Managers reserve positions for friends, family or a team member who is in their clique. Employees do not work as a team and there is no respect depending on the department, often the medical staff can be rude. Health insurance is excellent but the cost is expensive, we didn't receive a raise to accommodate the increase. Also, management is weak due to lack of experience and poor leadership.
Pros
excellent health insurance but expensive
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management and stressful environment
Typical Work Day
RN (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 24, 2014
• Engage students in comprehensive, individualized instruction in the observation, assessment, decision-making, and health teaching of clients, including the maintenance of client health and prevention of illness.
• Facilitate development of students’ critical thinking, technical, and professional skills while maintaining the client’s safety and confidentiality.
• Assist students in using nursing process when providing care. Supervise the administration of medications.
• Delegate selected nursing functions to students in accordance with their education, credentials, and demonstrated competency.
• Relate assigned readings to students’ clinical assignments.
• Participate in lecture course as needed.
Pros
great employees
Cons
do not always receive lunch breaks
Can go from dull to hectic in less than 60 secondds
Surgical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 30, 2013
A typical day patients are taken to the operating room and helped through surgery.

I have learned that ever person, every patient is different and needs different levels of care.

In my opinion, management doesn't fully understand the ramifications of their rules imposed upon us. I don't think they can fully grasp the amount of work we do to ensure patient safety.

Some of my coworkers are wonderful. But most are lazy. Not many are skilled, but don't want to take the initiative to learn anything new.

The hardest part about my job is knowing that I am not valued for my knowledge and expertise.

The most enjoyable part of my job is just doing it. I get great satisfaction in what I do.
Pros
it's an ok place to work
Cons
no raises. in fact, pay cuts
Hectic job with lots of stress.
Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 19, 2013
My typical "day" started at 10:30 pm. I walked into an overflowing emergency room with paperwork backlogged for at least one shift. I organized paperwork between registering patients; by 6:30 am the paperwork was organized, charges were entered, and it was ready for coding. There were only two of us on third shift on a typical night; when it settled down, we laughed and talked; it was fun then. The hardest part of the job was getting someone in by helicopter and having to come up with enough information to register them FAST. The best part was the few breaks in activity that helped us keep our sanity.
Pros
cheap meals.
Cons
very stressful job.
Cleanliness is a plus
Sous Chef, Dr's Lounge & Retail Chef (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 13, 2013
A typical day at work for me is creating great meals, laughing and having a great time with co-workers.
What I learned was time management and creating different dishes.
The management is fair but could be better. Time needs to be worked on.
My co-workers are very friendly and funny. I love to work with them.
The hardest part of my job is making sure all the food is done at the correct time. Its a very fast pacing job and having the food done at a certain time is a must.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know more about the co-workers and helping them out.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
time management, more work than it's worth
Up to date standards of care,management friendly,employee oriented
Staff R.N (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 2, 2012
This is an excellant workplace as recognized by the community with a Best Workplace Award 2011.The administration offers information weekly regarding the state of the hospital and changes brought on by the political climate. The hospital enforces the latest standards of care. Managers keep employees informed and encourage fresh ideas.The medical care for employees is better than and cheaper than most surrounding businesses.
Pros
employee reconigition, discounted prescriptions, daycare, flexible hours.
Cons
salary topouts
Health Care Excellence
Registered Nurse - Surgical Trauma ICU (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 17, 2012
Typical day starts at 6:30am and ends 7:30pm caring for critically ill patients in the regions Level One trauma ICU. Every day, every patient is a new learning experience, each unique in its challenges. Management was supportive of RN's as vital parts of each patients health care team, coworkers eager to help each other out. Hardest part of job was when a patient does not get better. Most enjoyable part of job is to see a patient who you have cared for get to go home.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
high high stress level when working with critically ill