Huntsville Hospital

Huntsville Hospital Employer Reviews

fun workplace
att (Current Employee), huntsvilleJune 16, 2014
Pros: certifications
Cons: long hours
long hours is a con most enjoyable part of the job are the patients
Hospital
liaison between technician and customer (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 3, 2014
great place to work for some of the supervisors that have been there awhile are great people some...
Terrible schedule with even worse management
Slave (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMay 28, 2014
Pros: gaining an understanding of self-worth
Cons: hours, management, training, lack of staff, high turnover, drama
I received very little training upon receiving this job. It was a learn-as-you-go type situation. The supervisors below me provided little to no support in my attempt to learn the daily operations. We we short staffed and management did little to nothing to hire new employees. Instead, my manager overworked myself and the supervisors, often having us work third shift and then turn around the next day and come in for second shift. Managers have every weekend off and could care less if myself or the supervisors ever had two consecutive days off - let alone a weekend.

My manager had little to know computer knowledge and couldn't spell the simplest of words. Very poor communication skills and bad attitude. She often would make out the employee schedule and miss scheduling people to fill in positions, so people would be doing double duties due to her careless work.

The director was a well-known tyrant with poor communication skills and also very little computer skills. His lack of general knowledge was very apparent in his emails which contained misspellings of simple words - spell check was too hard to learn to use apparently.

He would bring employees into his office to perpetuate rumors. He would also ask questions in a "confidential" environment and then blab everything you said to who he was asking you about, just to keep drama and conflict alive and well. He seems to feed on drama.

The director and my manager were obviously intimidated by individuals with higher education and an ability to speak and write clearly. In fact, he used to tell me all the time my manager was rude – more... to me and intimidated by me due to my intelligence and her lack of. He also told me he only hired her due to his lack of options when he needed a manager and that he has regretted it ever since. This is the type of smack he would say when people weren't around. He did this just to see if you could keep your mouth shut, and if not, he got the pleasure of yelling at you in front of his assistant because of things HE said.

I was witness to him yelling at our former executive chef in front of the entire cafeteria, while she cried, and the catering manager in a public hallway in front of multiple people. This was a daily occurrence. He loved to yell at people who were obviously smarter than him in front of people in an attempt to make them look deficient. How HR hasn't had a serious conversation with this man about his management "skills" is beyond me.

The turnover rate in this department was ridiculously high. During my time of employment, the following positions became vacant; executive chef, patient services manager, patient services coordinator, retail coordinator, retail supervisor x2, business assistant, IT coordinator & catering manager. These are nearly all decently paying salary positions, but the pay wasn't enough to outweigh all the other BS which accompanied working in this department.

Beware certain departments at Huntsville Hospital. I know this sounds like I've got a personal bone to pick, but my employment experience there was not an uncommon one here. I guess that's why there's constantly multiple job openings in this department.....people wouldn't leave a salary position in this economy without good reason. – less
Low pay for much work
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMay 14, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: low pay
They expect alot for very little compensation. Not everyone has the same work ethic and one person ends up doing more than others always.
Nice place to work.
Floor master (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMay 9, 2014
I like this place of business it was fun and meeting new people willing to donate there stuff for other people to purchase.
Great place to work.
Exercise Physiologist (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALApril 13, 2014
Pros: work with great people.
Cons: career path.
I introduced people to the wellness program. Conducted fitness classes, and personal training. Great people and support from management.
very good
Nurse Technician (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALApril 1, 2014
Work well coworkers enjoyed working there management very good
Good company to work for.
Housekeeping (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 19, 2014
Pros: great people to work with.
Cons: having to see some people that are in pain.
It is an enjoyment to work for a facility that is dedicated to caring for it's patients and their families.
Good place to work for
Visitor Control Officer (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 6, 2014
On a typical day you would take post at the ICU Unit and check IDs and control the visitors in and out of the unit. You would learn about the opperations of Huntsville Hospital. The management would come when needed. Your co-workers come to give breakes and assist when needed. The hardest part of the job was during the ICU visitation times. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the families of the patients.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
DEPARTMENT SECRETARY-CHF (Former Employee), EASY ACCESS FROM HOMEFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: to busy for lunch somtime
ALWAYS BUSY, GOOD PLACE TO WORK,
A TYPICAL DAY AT HHS CONSIST OF SCHEDULING ABOUT 30 50 APPOINTMENTS, ANSWERING PHONES, MAKING LAB APPOINTMENTS; MOST ENJOYABLE PART WAS HELPING THE PATIENTS, VISITORS, ETC., TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE HAPPY AND SATISIFIED WITH MY SERVICES; WE WERE TEAM PLAYERS-WE HELP EACH OTHER.
I was just a student
Radilogic Technologist/Student (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: just a student
The staff was nice, but management did not seem to see their employees as people but rather as numbers.
Teaching hospital with great doctors and specialities
Adult Critical Care Transport Nurse (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 28, 2014
The minute you hit the time clock in the emergency room you're already on the move. Taking over the current patients in your assigned rooms, preparing for your next patient to come in. You never know what is going to come through the doors in an ambulance or even through the front lobby. You have to be prepared for anything and everything. One of your patients may be an acute MI and your other room might have a broken arm. The 12 hours fly by and in the end you feel as if you've helped at least one person.
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: get a bonus yearly
Cons: interrupted breaks, not consistent in disciplinary actions
Just need to be honest with employees and department management needs to get a back bone and start supporting their lower management as well as the staff
Great!
Internship (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 21, 2014
I loved the internship! It was a great experience especially for someone striving to be a pediatrician.
Very organized and efficient company
Patient Care Aide (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 14, 2014
Productive and organized workplace with a passion for their patients.
Employers Don't really care for their employees
Security/Greeter (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 11, 2014
Nothing good to say, for 1 I didn't have a life while working at this hospital.
It was a great place for me to start.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 7, 2014
Some units were difficult (which is to be expected), some were a breeze. I learned a lot. Had some great nurse managers and one, well I think that enjoyed the perks of being a nurse manager. All I can say is I learned a great deal.
Worst job I have had
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), LabJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: co-workers management
I have other positions within this company and have had bad experiences in each. The last position was with the lab and the bad attitudes by co-workers and management was what made this job awful.
Hectic job with lots of stress.
Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALDecember 19, 2013
Pros: cheap meals.
Cons: very stressful job.
My typical "day" started at 10:30 pm. I walked into an overflowing emergency room with paperwork backlogged for at least one shift. I organized paperwork between registering patients; by 6:30 am the paperwork was organized, charges were entered, and it was ready for coding. There were only two of us on third shift on a typical night; when it settled down, we laughed and talked; it was fun then. The hardest part of the job was getting someone in by helicopter and having to come up with enough information to register them FAST. The best part was the few breaks in activity that helped us keep our sanity.
Beware do not work for security here.
Visitor Control Officer (Former Employee), Huntsville, AlabamaDecember 17, 2013
Pros: employee parking
Cons: pay, medical, long hours, lots of derespect.
To start off the managers will lie to you. Second, if you get into a situation they don't care and wont send help. Co-workers were shocked for how long that I lasted (3 months). Hardest part of the job was dealing with out raged people going there. Nothing enjoyable. Don't keep the uniform and they will find a way to cut your pay.

About Huntsville Hospital

Health Care Authority of the City of Huntsville ensures that residents get the medical attention they need. The┬ávolunteer board – Read more