HUNTSVILLE UTILITIES Employee Reviews

Very laid back Job.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 15, 2017
I read electric, gas, water, or steam meters and records volume used by residential and commercial consumers: Walks or drives long routes and takes readings of meter dials
Easy going environment with encouraging supervisors.
Energy Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, AL 35801April 30, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is being to set our own pace but while still adhering to deadlines. It's a fast paced schedule and involves dealing with home builders to achieve inspection objectives. Dealing with the builders personally makes for a streamline experience for our department and their respective companies.
Huntsville Utilities is an excellent municipality to work for with many unique challenges.
Project Manager/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 22, 2016
A typical day of work at Huntsville Utilities consisted of first outlining the work orders for the day, gathering the required tools necessary to complete the job, and then emplementing said work orders in a timely fashion.
I learned how to install conduit for fiber optic cable during a 11 degree December day. I will not forget it. I also learned to have one computer with multiple network cards to access two different LANs.
Management was excellent to work with for several reasons. First, communication and diversity was promoted due to the many different customers we were required to interact with. Management listened to employees and were open for suggestions regarding implementation of networking and workstation procedures.
Co-workers were educated and had a larger than life attitude. This is expected when dealing with people who risk life and limb to keep the city with various utilities.
The hardest part of the job was the move from one location to another. During my employment, the utilities made a move from a temporary location to their permanent residents while repairs and upgrades were made.
The most enjoyable part of the job was autonomy and limited management input. Management was very secure in the staff ability that daily management was not necessary. Each day a "mission" was identified, tools were provided, and work was complete.
Pros
Flexible hours and good benifits.
Good company to work for.
Summer Hire Engineering Department (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 11, 2016
People and work environment is very friendly. Have very good benefits.the hardest part is some of the places you have to go are pretty scary. The people you meet are very reliable and trustworthy.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
a lot of work
Great Company
Customer Representative II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day on the job consists of me answering phones and being what the company needs me to be for the company and the customer base. Whether I am marketing a new campaign to the public or brainstorming a new idea that will help the department, and company overall, I remain fluid for the sake of the growth and respect of Huntsville Utilities. We work with respect and integrity in mind so that our dealings with each other and the customers are always positive.

The people I work with have become an extended family whom I enjoy both professionally and personally. It makes coming to work a joy because I know that I'm going to get the most out of those I work with. We keep each other on our toes and even have friendly competitions amongst one another (management included) to keep our work environment uplifting and energetic. We work hard for our community and we make sure they know we're always available to assist them the best we can. After all, we are a not-for-profit owned by the city of Huntsville which means we value our customers and each day of service is dedicated to the well-being of their utility needs.

Working for Huntsville Utilities has been educationally rewarding. I have had the opportunity to learn more about utilities than I ever thought I would. I have greatly enjoyed acquiring the knowledge I now possess and I have a better perspective of how utilities operate, at least in Huntsville, AL. Working for Huntsville Utilities has provided me a strong foundation of knowledge that will greatly assist in understanding the utility operations in other
  more... cities/states.  less
Very learning rich environment with great support from managment
Summer intern program (Former Employee) –  Huntsville AlabamaJune 16, 2015
Get to the garage at 6:00 A.M. and then get ice water for the coolers, get equipment ready, get any parts that are needed for the day from the warehouse then set out on the jobs for the day. I learned a lot from this job. Especially about how the whole infrastructure of the city works and how transformers and power get to the big buildings throughout the city. My co workers were great, they would help to teach me things about the day to day job because it was all new to me at the time and help me when I did not understand what was going on. The hardest part of the job was having to be out in the heat all day and carry heavy objects. The most enjoyable part was working with my crew and seeing the jobs completed and power given to the buildings around us.
average place to work
Billing clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 2, 2015
could not get full time because family member works there, but in a different department. didn't like the hours because I only worked part time.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
wouldn't hire family members full time, depending on race, been sue for discrimination several times
Customer Service Representative/
Customer Service Representative/ Software Support (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 26, 2015
Received incoming calls from customers verifying security accounts, customer payments, utility contract accounts, transfers, opening blanket deposits.
Reporting outage of power in single homes or neighborhoods.
Directing customers on how to safely shut off breakers and water before electricians could turn services back on.
Pros
Very positive and helpful environment
Cons
it was a temp job
good workplace
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville AlabamaJanuary 13, 2015
Worked on distrabution lines and secondary services to residental and commericial customers.Learned to be a team player and always think saftey first. Some management problems but overall good place to work.
Pros
State Retirement
Cons
None to mention
Great company, well known and highly respected in the community
Substation Crew Assistant/Store Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 21, 2014
Assisted in maintenance of transmission line and substation facilities. Ability to quickly learn inventory management software. Managed inventory of parts and supplies to insure availability. Maintained parts storage area. Communicate with recipients to inform them of receipts.
Pros
Set schedule, great hours
Cons
low pay
Example
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 7, 2013
• Performed financial audits of state departments and universities in accordance with Government Auditing Standards.
• Evaluated internal controls of state organizations.
• Prepared audit findings and recommendations.
Pros
example
Cons
example
Respectful environment
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 12, 2012
Huntsville Utilities fostered a very respectful environment. It was a great place to work.
Pros
flexible hours