Hurley Medical Center

Hurley Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Great experience.
Clinical Student (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 7, 2014
Great experience Great place to learn and to be a student. A lot things happening all the time, trauma, GSW, MVA, etc.
Wonderful place to gain a lot of experience and knowledge.
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 5, 2014
I loved the challenge of working in a Level I Trauma Center. You never knew what your assignment would be day to day and never knew what would come through the doors. We had specialty teams but there was always a chance to learn new things on the off shifts and we were required to know how to do every service.
Pros
when a trauma came in, or something didn't go "smooth" you could count on everyone jumping in to help.
Cons
sometimes no lunches or breaks. short staff often.
Clinical Excellence. Service to People.
Student (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 12, 2014
Hurley Medical Center receives some of the worst medical situations. As a level I trauma center, it requires the knowledge and expertise of skilled professionals to improve the health of its patients. During my time there, I had the opportunity to work with many different people and personalities. The most challenging aspect was integrating so many different people into one common goal; the improvement of the patient. The most enjoyable aspect, however, was the depth and quality of learning of the discipline. With so many different personalities, you receive many different perspectives on a particular aspect of Radiology.
Productive and fun work environment
Cytotechnologist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 9, 2014
Once all morning duties were completed, I screened roughly 40 - 60 slides a day, including quality control slides. Ordered HPV testing every third week, due to rotation, and did Non-gyn preparation and screening every third week as well due to rotation.
Pros
long lunches, a wonderful work environment, great co-workers, and a very organized laboratory.
Cons
not enough hours per week.
Very busy workplace
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 3, 2014
Good teaching institution. I've learned valuable career changing skills
A great place to work and even better for experience!
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 9, 2014
You will get great experience as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist at Hurley. You do work by yourself often and it can be difficult, but the odd cases that come up and experience is plentiful. Overall, awesome place to work.
Cons
you work by yourself in a 3 camera department.
Customer care and administration management.
TRANSPLANT DATA COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 1, 2014
I have performed functions dealing with supervision, overseeing programs, and developing work plans, project goals and objectives. I have been responsible for collecting data, and maintaining several data systems detailing services provided to the community. From the data collected, I have generated several quarterly and annually reports that were submitted to program funders. These reports were often used as Quality Assurance tools, which helped in monitoring programs and measuring along with determining opportunities for improvement. In addition, I have been responsible for conducting community needs assessments, and facilitated several client support groups that focus on social support and healthy lifestyle decisions
Pros
servicing others and the ability to assist and share.
Cons
job ending
Good job with competitive wage scale.
Certified Professional Coder (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 20, 2014
I love the work I do at Hurley. For most of my career here I have enjoyed the Mangement team and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is viewing physician documentation and correcting. The most enjoyable part of my job is the schedule, I am on a 4 day, 10 hour a day schedule which allows me to balance things at home easier.
Pros
hospital offers ability to work in all areas of medical billing
Cons
area of the city in which the hospital is located
A good place to work with a myriad of patients as well as staff. It's a teaching hospital so you get a chance to work with people from various areas.
Interim Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 15, 2014
It's always busy which keeps you on your toes. I have learned how to deal with both employees, upper management and unions as I negotiated my way through various issues that arose. The best part of the job is assisting patients secure insurance or help them with making payment arrangements so that they can get the services that they so desperately need. Another great thing is the opportunity for advancement via years of service and work experience. The hardest part of the job was working with union contracts where the language was extremely vague.
Pros
good paying jobs
Cons
the cost of healthcare went up this year
Opportunity to enter into a career.
Mattie Pearson, RN, Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Flint, Genesee County, MichiganMarch 31, 2014
Truly enjoyed working with the patients in all departments. CCU was my favorite department.
Great experience with a high volume, fast paced environment
Physican Biller (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 25, 2014
Hurley is a fast paced, high volume hospital with a large billing department. I have been a part of the resubmission team for the past year where I have successfully appealed and resubmitted claims to Medicaid HMO's as well as commercial Health Plus. I enjoy working along side my peers and learning new things on a daily basis.
bad place to be a student
radiation therapist student (Former Employee) –  Hurley cancer centerFebruary 1, 2014
I was never treated worse as a student I had hope for a car accident so I would have a justifiably reason to miss clinic
Great Intro to Healthcare Engineering
Administrative Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 27, 2014
I worked with Hurley Medical Center as a co-op student to complete the cooperative education requirements of my undergraduate degree at Kettering University. I was exposed to an excellent environment that allowed me to work on various projects throughout the hospital.
60 hour internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 5, 2013
Although I did this only for a short period it taught me that older adults are no different then young adults. They all complain and talk about each other behind their backs. They fall asleep in the lunch room and take long unnecessary breaks.

I enjoyed all the different things I was able to do. I don't mind doing the same thing over and over but time goes by so much quicker when you are learning something new everyday and expected to accomplish different areas in that working environment.
Pros
they were all nice.
Cons
hospitals are huge.
Nice place to work
Intermediate Clerk (Current Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 20, 2013
Co-workers are ok. The work load is plenty. No full time permanent work available. :-(
Very Negative place to work, but great doctors and advancement in medical care.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Flint, MiOctober 17, 2013
The hospital itself offers great care to under and uninsured patients. The hospital staff is very negative and unhappy it seems.
Loved working with some of the people
Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 8, 2013
I enjoyed working with a lot of the people but there was no staedy work shift.a typical work day was fun and went by fast. I learned how to be more cautious with my surroundings.
Pros
the supervisor was a nice person
Cons
no steady work shift
Great working environment
Externship (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 1, 2013
This is where I did my externship. The people there were very helpful and supportive during my semester that I was there. I learned a lot from them and they answered all my questions.
Great people to work with
Epic ADT/Prelude Certified Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 18, 2013
Smaller hospital with limited resources but great employees
externship
Externship (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 2, 2013
I learned a lot working here. The environment was friendly and I was able to ask questions whenever I needed to.

Hurley Medical Center Reviews by Location