Huron Consulting Group Employee Reviews

Worked with great people.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
Worked with great people, lots to learn since industry changes quickly. Many projects in the works at any given time. Work week was usually 50+ hours. Company culture changed in last couple of years for the worst.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Leadership
Excellent entreprenerual company that I was fortunate to work with.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2017
Great place to work..very fine people. I still have a lot of friends from there and I helped them secure my previous employer..Fannie Mae as a client.
Pros
Free lunches, hotel points, free travel, $45.00 per day per diem, free computer
Cons
Job security
Perfect place to work
Litigation Support - Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
First off, I've worked for this company for about 9 years. The company went through many changes and restructuring. They have three consulting divisions in Finance, Higher Education, and Legal. The company culture had been superb in the past, as I get to work from home for 4 years straight, lots of team happy hours paid by the company, lots of social events, and holiday parties. In my first 4 years working there, I get these "Spot awards" (I think $500 visa card) for going above and beyond in my work. After 4 years, things started to crumble. No more spot awards, managed was changed, everything get cut back, no happy hours or events (maybe once or twice a year). Yeah, this company culture wasn't at its best like how it was in the past. I believe things were a lot better with the former CEO. The new CEO just changed the entire company culture. Now, I think the company only has Higher Education division, so I am not sure what the company is like now.
Benefits
Cons
management
Too many chiefs and not enough indians
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2017
My experience with Huron is very limited since they purchased HSM, but my experience with Huron for the short time is unfortunately stressful and sitting on pins and needles.
Pros
Nothing I can say
Cons
Very stressful
Huron Review
Healthcare Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
Huron has a great company culture; their employees are intelligent, hard-working, and caring. However, their healthcare practice has not been doing well, causing layoffs and delayed start dates for new hires just out of college.
Pros
Great benefits, no PTO restrictions, great people
Quick-paced and exciting work
Revenue Cycle Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2017
I worked 8 hours/day from home, which came with its own set of advantages and disadvantages: the pros included flexible work environment and no commute, but I missed personal connections and relationships built by a shared office space.
Pros
Flexible location and PTO
Cons
Remote work at home, so no office culture
Collection of driven and fun individuals
Consulting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2017
I joined Huron Consulting Group and stayed as long as I did because of the people. In my experience, everyone from top-level management on down to the analysts were very focused on maintaining a good work-life balance. This was especially important on projects where travel was tough (e.g. 2 hour flight coupled with a 2 hour drive).
Pros
People, people, people
Cons
Susceptible to market trends
Company Lives Its Values
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
Amazing company culture. Great people - smart, accountable, knowledgeable. A work hard, play hard environment where company genuinely lives its values.
had good growth
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2017
Need to think about how to manage the growth.
Need good long-term plans
Have a lot of good people who don't always get used to full capacity and potential
Pros
Capable of most things a health system needs
Cons
Not always operating on a integrated basis
Two different companies - changed drastically after IPO
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
I was with the company almost at its inception and after 2 years , the company went public and changed its focus from being a client-oriented, value-added provider of consulting services to one that became entirely focused on quarterly results and reporting to shareholders. Professional services organizations often have difficulty making this transition. I hear it's better now.
Documentary Review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2017
Document review for discovery phase of corporate litigation and federal government oversight. Confidential work environment. Review platforms included Xerox and Strategy.
Business Jargon Central
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2017
Even when the Huron consultant is not so arrogant, that’s just how they come off. They’ve been hyped by management to appear better than the company’s common employees. They’ve been brought in to improve whatever the employees are doing. No matter how humble the consultant is, the arrogant label is going to stick.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Great benefits, but at a struggling firm
Healthcare Revenue Cycle Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
- work life balance was very difficult (significantly longer hours of work than originally stated)
- culture is very intense because this company is a smaller, struggling firm
- co-workers are very friendly, but also very competitive
Pros
Occasional team dinners/outings
Cons
Flawed Methodology
Great growth and opportunities
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2017
Huron provides great career growth as the company is rapidly evolving. It is a demanding place but you are rewarded for your contributions.
Great company
Labor Analytics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work from homeJanuary 23, 2017
Excellent supervision. Great part time work from home opportunity. Work is very interesting. Sad to be laid off so suddenly without warning.
Pros
Work from home. Set own hours. Good pay
Cons
Layoffs
Fair
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2017
What I learned form my time there;the research department lacked clients; it was under budget and overall there appeared to be some turnover concerns.
Industry leader, development focused.
Senior Billing Analyst/ Collections (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2017
Great group of people to work with, challenging problems, opportunities to work on meaningful projects.

Bright, ambitious and cooperative - probably the best group of people I've worked with in my career.

The work assignments are challenging and sometimes engaging. My management team is generally very supportive.

The only real drawback is that I am working on a consultant basis until the return on their management personnel that I am filling in for maternity leave..
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
None so far
Great people but management needs to right the ship
Healthcare Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2016
My time working at Huron was great but they just had their 3rd round of layoffs from the Healthcare practice in the last 18 months. Management is struggling to keep up with what the market wants and it's showing.
Pros
Phenomenal culture, great training
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
Good Company to start Career
Consulting Associate, Healthcare (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2016
Huron has a good kick off for new college hires. Escalated learning as soon as you join as long as projects available. Management is weak though and as you progress higher the larger issues with company dynamics show more and more.
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance, Decent benefits
Cons
Some projects less than appealing, no job safety
Great learning experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2016
A typical day involved traveling to a job site and holding meetings with various department heads to get an idea on their work flow process in regards to ICD-9/medical coding.

Usually in a team of 2 or 3 total employees, we took turns interviewing the team leads, taking notes and advising them on how the process would move forward in regards to the ICD9 to ICD10 changeover.

At the end of the day we'd meet as a group and exchange information on whether we learned anything new/quirky about each sites individual systems. We then entered the data into a spreadsheet on a shared Sharepoint drive.

The most enjoyable part was the learning experience. From travelling each week half way across the country, to having the responsibility of working in a team with almost no supervision, to leading some of the meetings myself.

The hardest part was the travel/being away from my family for a week at a time for almost six months.