Hutchinson Technology, Inc.

Hutchinson Technology, Inc. Employer Reviews

A fine place to work
Process Specialist (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNJune 16, 2014
Pros: nice employees
Cons: improper instructions
Running operating machinery paying attention to detail multitasking while producing products for computer hard drives in a timely manner I learned some different computer programs that worked with on a daily bases,management was hard but fair to their employees,I worked 1 on 1 with all the employees, hardest part of the job is when engineering throws – more... a project at you with improper instructions how to build the parts,the most enjoyable part of my job is the employees – less
enjoyed my job
Measurement Specialist (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIMay 28, 2014
I loved my job and what I did. Toward the end the company wasn't the same.
Always laying off
Operator (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIMarch 29, 2014
I never knew what day I would have a job and what day I would. They have good time off benefits but that is it.
Hutchinson Technology Inc.
Analytical Chemistry Technician (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNJanuary 31, 2014
I was able to grow professional with the company. My experience with Manufacturing Technology was greatly enhanced. Working hours were very flexible. Worked with professional people with great ideas.
unstable
Progressive Die Setter (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: empto - same day call in
Cons: health care, stability, management
Hutchinson has changed dramatically within my work history. We were top rated and now have closed several shops and the company is moving to Hutchinson, MN which is too far for me to drive
best job in the area
Process Specialist (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: does not exist anymore
not hard work but long
very easy to live a live around job
great pay
management will not see for weeks
Wonderful work environment -
Statistician/Trainer (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: great working conditions, earned my degree through college reimbursement, level of knowledge gain, working on many different types of projects each day - lived 2 miles from work
I can honestly say that working for HTI was fantasic for me. I was trained and sent to training to become an expert in my field. I had the opportunity and pleasure of working on and consulting others on projects within all divisions and at all sites. Best part of my job was Mentoring/Teaching all levels of employees in 9 different quality courses.
fun people to wrok with and learned new skills
Inspection specialist gold plating (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIAugust 16, 2013
Not much to say it was too long to remember much, it has been over 10 years. But what I remember is the late nights 6p to 6a
fast paced, great people to work with, good pay
Trainer (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIAugust 15, 2013
running the process through the area, management was okay but not very understanding when it came to overtime, co-workers were great (one of the best things about the place is the friends I made). Hardest part of the job was trying to switch from nights to days. Having fun while working with friends was the best part.
A nice clean place to work, and the people were awesome.
Die Setter (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNAugust 11, 2013
Pros: team work
A typical day is you go in and have communication with the outgoing die setter about current situations with the press that you are going to run. It depends on if the press is running or not. If the present die requires to be pull out then you pull it out otherwise you keep it running. The Hardest part of the job was when there are numerous mechanical – more... failures in one day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. We all work as a team and take care of one another. – less
Group Lead (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNAugust 1, 2013
Cons: lay offs
Challenging work environment, high quality standards. The people there are great to work with and happy.
Hutchinson Technology
Die Setting\Deburr Specialist (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNJuly 12, 2013
I have worked with Hutchinson Technology Incorporated, the world’s leading disk-drive component manufacturer, for 6 years as a Die Setter specialist. I work closely with Engineers on designing and modifying ultra critical manufacturing processes.

I learned to Setup high speed metal stamping dies (500SPM to 900SPM) in Bruderer Presses using Work instructions – more... Job Aids Diagrams and Procedures. Measure parts using hand micrometers, Sylvack, Laser Measurement System, Laser micrometer, Comparator and Wyco. Most tolerances are +/- .0001. Also had an opportunity to work on prototype dies and trouble shoot for component failures, and Measurement problems, Communicate with Toolmakers and engineering on what should be addressed to correct these problems. Help other die setters when they are having problems with the die or Press. Work with maintenance on any press related problems and correct them.
Assure proper product is being run per plan; communicate with Tool Room, other Supervisors, Die Setters, and Engineers. Fill out daily logs communication sheets, – less
Hutchinson
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIJuly 10, 2013
I enjoyed my work there and the people were great to work with. There was not a lot of job security though.
No job security
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIMay 16, 2013
Pros: good people to work with and a variety of jobs during the day
Cons: had to wear gowns and mask that were very warm in hot weather
Hutchinson was a good job while it lasted, but it was either 60 hrs. a week or getting sent home early for lack of work. The people were the strong point of the company, and I don't believe they ever got that.
Hutchinson Technology offered me many opportunities for growth
Exec Assistant / Admin Asst / CS Specialist (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNFebruary 27, 2013
I started out as an inspector on the assembly line and worked by way to an administrative professional positon with the help of internal and external training wihtin Hutchinson Technology. Wonderful opportunities for growth for someone with the drive to achieve excellence.
Used quality data to design experiments to reduce defects and complete troubleshooting.
PHOTOETCH ENGINEER (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIJanuary 31, 2013
My typical day would start on the floor reviewing data and talking with operations personel about problems needing attention, which was reported to management at the daily meeting. I would then review data on incidents to troubleshoot and eliminate problems which caused defective product.
Jobs are going away and may never come back.
Machinist for production support (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNNovember 28, 2012
15 years ago it was a great place to work. I learned a lot from co-workers. Machines were new and well maintained. Management would get us whatever we needed to get the job done. In the last years machines are worn,and we have had lay-offs and cut-backs.
I still always liked working on the (one piece) small pins. These were sometimes dificult and also – more... enjoyable. – less
Enjoyable work environment due to the people you work with.
Component Product Technician (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIOctober 29, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours and vacation time.
Cons: job stability
TYPICAL DAY
The day would start by pulling data about production order over the past 24 hours and update the spreadsheets I created to make sure the important orders were still moving through the process quickly.

LEARNING
I learned how to troubleshoot process issues with minimal engineering help.

MANAGEMENT
The direct management was very flexible – more... and fair.

CO-WORKERS
All of my co-workers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

HARDEST PART OF JOB
Watching friends getting laid off until it was my turn to be laid off.

MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF JOB
Coming to work for the friendly environment and knowing that every day could be a different set of challenges. – less
Fun work place, learn different products and each purpose, good management, fun , understanding, workers, none, is to inspect all kind of products .
Inspector/Machine Operator (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIOctober 25, 2012
Pros: alright
Cons: all good
Great to work and fun with people / management who care and understand there employees. it was free coffee etc.,
Was great place to work when stated but at the end they were going through alot of difficulties
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNAugust 13, 2012
I was in charge of training any new quality personnel and engineers. I worked on multiple teams and did internal auditing for the plant. I loved working with the people there and there was always something going on to keep a person busy.