Hutchinson Technology, Inc. Employee Reviews

love working with people dealing with quality
Quality Assurance/Trainer/Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoyed working in this company. Their human resources was always their to help. Management treat employees with respect. The workload was light. The hardest part of this job is rotating shifts.
Pros
good benefits, light duties
Cons
12 hours rotation shifts
Rapid pace of change
Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 23, 2016
Delivered classroom and floor training.

Management was fair and supportive.

Human resources department was very team oriented.

Enjoyed the interaction of small group training.
Pros
Benefits and in house fitness center
Cons
Layoffs
On-site cafeteria, 40 minute lunch plus three 15 minute brakes
Production, Manufacturing, Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 3, 2017
I was trained in different departments just in case some people didn't show up for work or if it got busy I was able to help out when needed. Managers were nice to work with and were helpful. Standing all day working a 12 our shift got to a little tiring and repetition, some days doing the same job all day long.
Pros
Time worked over 50 hrs/wk you were paid double time.
Cons
Long hours and weekends.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJuly 10, 2016
I have had the opportunity to train in a few different areas. I like being able to do different things. Benefits are good and that's important to me.
Pros
Cons
Too many mandatory shutdowns
Extremely high tech environment. I learned a lot
CNC Metrologist/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNNovember 18, 2016
An overall great experience. I would recommend HTI to anyone needing employment in a high technology field. Please note: HTI is in the news regarding acquisition, not sure how stable long term employment might be...
Pros
Top of the line equipment available for measurement.
Cons
Existing culture difficult to embrace.
Great place to work!
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNAugust 9, 2016
This is a great place to work. The culture and etiquette are great. I have worked with many great minds, I have grown greatly in many ways I really hope that HTI will steer through the storms approaching them. I love my job, I am empowered and gifted to make decisions. The only thing right now is the unknown. A merger/buy out with TDK has been pending for nearly a year and there are lawsuits pending.
Not sure what this will bring to the company but feel I should start looking elsewhere
Pros
Self direction
Cons
Stability
12 hr. long work days 6a.m.-6p.m. alternating 3 days on 4 days off 1 wk. then next wk schedule would be 4 days on w/3 days off
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 24, 2016
overall this job came & lay offs came with precision timing in my home life schedule, worked well with caring for terminal mother @ the time, I had more time than I would of had with a typical work schedule, lay off came @ end of her life cycle so allowed a transition time for me before going back to work
Pros
more time available to care for ill mother, scheduling allowed for good work-life balance
Cons
mass layoffs before company eventually closed doors
A lot of pressure.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNNovember 12, 2016
A typical day would be to run equipment, inspect parts, and measure parts. The management had a lot to be desired. It was very enjoyable working with the different co Workers.
Good place to work..Corporate buyout/downsizing risk.
Toolmaker lead (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNNovember 29, 2016
The people at HTI are second to none. Highly talented, very motivated staff. The shop is bright, clean and climate controlled. Staff is very willing to share information. This results in a well trained versatile staff.
Supporting Manufacturing.
Manufacturing Systems Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJuly 19, 2016
I spent a lot of time doing installs on engineer's PC in the evenings.
Many hours walking the assembly areas checking with people to see what they were seeing, and doing quick checkups and cleaning of dot matrix printers.
Swing shift at night, 12 hours shifts.
Learned quick who could be trusted with giving an answer over the phone to, and those who really wanted you there in person, and needed help because they didn't like those machines.

I read a mountian of books while doing installs. There is always time between sections to read a little, and when there are only a dozen to take up a night, I would chain them so I could read after they were completed.
Pros
Long nights as only tech.
Cons
long nights as only tech
Good
Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJanuary 4, 2017
Good place to work,good work environment,I learned many skills,I had good people to work with,I enjoyed the work schedule
Overall the company has been a good company to work for!
Sr. Materials Engineering Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJuly 7, 2016
The company overall is a decent company to work for. The Flexibility in our department is excellent and the atmosphere enjoyable. The work is interesting and rewarding. The negative is stability of the company (Job Security)!
Pros
Flexibility is great
Cons
Job Sercurity
Vending areas through out the plant
Laser Measurement Specialist-measure different (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 18, 2014
I was a triple function ps. I worked on cleanline,LMS operator, unit coordinator. Did rework when it got sent back from the customers. You worked 12 hour shifts. I worked 6pm to 6am. Got paid for your 15 minute breaks. Lots of opportunities to advance at HTI. Classes were offered when you needed to learn a new product or function. Had a nice cafeteria. Smoke shacks for smokers.
Pros
benefits were nice
Cons
long 12 hour shifts and working every other weekend.
No room to advance
Floor Operator (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJuly 1, 2015
Never received training when moved to main production floor, spent most time loading cartridges into machines. when asked to be trained to be trained visually and in other departments and was turned down at every chance.
Pros
12 hour shifts, every other weekend off, decent benifits
Cons
terrible managment, shut downs, layoffs
Work is feast or famine very cyclical.
Water Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  wiMarch 19, 2012
High Tech company that builds the reader heads for hard drives in computers etc..Has plants in Eau Claire, WI. Hutchinson, Minn. and Thailand. Also has several other products that are produced including surgical knives, and oxygen senors (that are used by hospital emercency rooms to measure the oxygen levels in different tissues of the body.
Pros
work load varies
Cons
benifits are not the best
fun place to work, good people
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJuly 25, 2015
its best job i had, good working atmosphere with great benefits.
Team work is one of the company greatest achievement, employees help one another without questioning
Pros
match up 3% on my 401K
clean environment
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJune 13, 2015
Did not like the layoffs and how they were handled. People in town knew before we did. Pay was not very good, because raises not offered.
production working and fun work place
Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJuly 3, 2016
It was a fun place to work. One bad thing was in the insecurity with the computer business. Would alway have to worry about a lay off
Pros
very friendly place to work
Cons
worried about lay off
Tough to balance work and home-life
Chemistry Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 25, 2015
Job was monotonous and mundane. Great job if you are accustomed to factory life and 12hr shifts. The 5-4 schedule was great for some people but it conflicted with my home-life.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Same thing day after day, poor benefits
Good pay but very unstable
Toolmaker (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire WIJune 23, 2012
Challenging, very technical work place. Unfortunate the company has shrunk dramatically over the last 5 years. Many lay offs, reductions in benefits. In one word, unstable.
Pros
good pay scale, flexible vacation policies
Cons
unstable business and company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hutchinson Technology, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9