Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 2,102 reviews matching the search
Unfair Management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2017
A typical workload at HyVee is tough. Management doesn't even allow you to drink water while working at your register because they say its "sloppy" but they will stand in front of the store and drink soda and eat returned foods. With given circumstances, breaks will be cut short or not given and management tries to make up for that by giving free food. There will be times when your break could be 20 minutes long and they would interrupt it after 5-10 minutes and have you get back to work. Another issues about break is how they start as soon as you leave your working spot, so if your break is 15 minutes, as soon as you leave your register and it takes 10 minutes to get your lunch and get to the break room, you only have 5 minutes to eat and return to your station before they start paging for you.
Pros
discounts and employee meals
Cons
strict management
Boring
Courtesy/Checker (Former Employee) –  Storm Lake, IASeptember 19, 2017
It is nice to meet people everyday day and help them out to aisles but I do not recommend if you are looking for a fun place. Management is weird and people quit often.
Hyvee is a great place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 19, 2017
I recommend Hyvee to people looking for a flexible, fast paced job. I learned so much from Hyvee, from being social to counting inventory. They are so great about helping you work your way up through the company, they really want you to succeed and grow.
Stressful but rewarding
Health and Beauty Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2017
My job is packed to the brim with smaller projects and overarching larger goals, as such this job requires a person who can easily multi-task and works well under pressure. However, if you are like me and love the reaction you receive when you make a customer extraordinarily happy then the work is always well worth the reward.
HyVee
Salad Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 19, 2017
I would cut fruits and vegetables for the next business day. I would maintain the salad bar. I learned to be extremely careful how I would use the knife. I cut myself a few times. The management worked well with me in my hours. A few times I was asked to work outside my normal hours and I almost always was able to work with them. The culture was relaxed. There were time around the holiday when it would get a little crazy. The hardest part was that it was part time. I enjoyed working as a team
Opportunities are increasing for women with college degrees. New marketing stratgies have been developed that exceed outdated concepts.
Inventory Specialist, Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IASeptember 19, 2017
Each store director sets the tone for the culture of their store and this effects how employees perceive their expected role and opportunities for advancement in the company. Part-time employees are paid a low wage and not eligible for company health insurance. This is a good company for college students or grads to gain management experience that will be useful in future career choices.
Good First Job
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 18, 2017
Hy-vee is an excellent business model that is great for a first time job, and during college, but if you don't have a degree in the least of things, you will always be part time.
Pros
Breaks, pay was great for part time, friendly staff
Cons
Low advancement..
Fun place to work with new Everyday People
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 17, 2017
i like working at Hy-vee gas station because, i like to have to help and serve people and meet their requirements. Gas sations gets really busy over the weekend and after 5 PM. it can get stressful sometimes but, i enjoy working fast and fix problems.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
we throw out lots of food
Friendly
Kitchen, Deli, Italian Express Associate (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, MOSeptember 17, 2017
Good place to work. Lots of customer service so you have to have a friendly attitude. Employees are always nice. Lots of departments to work in and open 24 hours.
Outdated meat
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, MOSeptember 17, 2017
Hy-Vee transfers their outdated beef and chickens to the deli to cook for customers. Thought this was wrong so I quit. Transfered brown ground beef for meatloaf and chickens that smelled bad after washing them. Had friends that shopped their and felt guilty
Quit and went to work for a more honest company
Pros
Competitive wage
Cons
Poor management and rules

Want to know more about Hy-Vee, Inc.?

Ask a question
My Personal Experience
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Iowa Falls, IASeptember 17, 2017
The store I worked at was run terribly which contributed to my poor experience. Their employee turnover rate was pretty high so I was not terribly suprised with the way the store was operated. The culture itself was incredibly uplifting and I found that it was rather enjoyable to help out the customers! The hardest part about the job was dealing with improper management.
Great Company to work for
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Pella, IASeptember 16, 2017
Hy- Vee is a great place to work. They have great ideals and many healthy programs. The benefit choices are great and some are company matched. Some stores even receive bonuses.
Pros
some discounts
Cons
health insurance premiums
Very outgoing and nice co-workers
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IASeptember 15, 2017
I got to learn a variety of different skills just from Hyvee. This management is always looking for thing to work on and also a source of positivity. I honestly couldn't have pick a better job to learn and thrive from.
Pros
Great enviroment to learn different skills
Great job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NESeptember 14, 2017
This company is a great first job and maybe even future job. The pay is good in high school or right after. Although seeing how most of there employees are part time getting high enough up to make good pay is a lot of luck and hard work. As lingv as you keep you head in the right direction and keep your mistakes to a minimal they should take good care of you.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Pay
Under the bus.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 14, 2017
No matter if the customer is completely wrong you will be thrown under the bus for the customer. Does have good pay and works with your school class times if you are in school.
Pros
If you are in school will work with you on your availibility.
Cons
Never back their employees.
the best job ever
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 14, 2017
People are nice the to you Manegement is the best there hyvee give you great benafits their. Hyvee can help you go to college for manegement or anyother degree.
Great Company
C-Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charles City, IASeptember 14, 2017
They really care about their associates.Great atmosphere to work in. Very caring co workers. Enjoyed my time there. Would recommend to anyone. Willing to work for again.
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
No smoking on property or during breaks if you are a smoker
Good benefits
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO 65807September 14, 2017
Good benefits fair compensation love the customers challenging fixed schedule close to my home discounts for employee secure job vacation time from start
Pros
fun customers
Alright place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 13, 2017
It can be fun but it is not always the best place. I liked the socializing aspect of the job. I enjoyed the management. I did not enjoy the pay for what I did.
Productive and social
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 13, 2017
I think working at hyvee was a really great start for me entering the work force. I think it was a productive job that taught me a lot of new skills such as how to interact with customers and how to really out effort into a job.
Pros
Discount, nice workers, good pay
Cons
Iffy manager, weird customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval