Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,230 reviews
Productive and Fun work place
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNJune 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working their. They have great staff and everyone was helpful to each other. I learned social skills and communication skills. I also learned how to be patient when helping customers. I would often come in and volunteer to help even on my days off. I got along with my co-workers and management. I would say my hardest part of my job would be when catering events were going on and they would pile on the dishes just for me to clean. I would say the most enjoyable part of my job was the people that I worked with.
Pros
discounts on lunch, my co-workers
Cons
short breaks, getting over loaded wish dishes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 28, 2016
I am an Assistant Manager at Hy-Vee on West Broadway in Council Bluff, Iowa. My main job is to watch over all the employees in the store including all departments and cashiers. I am in charge of keeping the lines short, handling money, keeping the shelves stocked, and keeping the customers happy.
Learned a lot
Customer Service Captain (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 28, 2016
I never thought I would enjoy working in an office. However, getting dressed up everyday was a lot more fun than I thought. The experience of getting to investigate an embezzlement case was very interesting and knowing that I was able to help put the pieces together to something that was able to help prosecute someone who stole from a great company, was very rewarding.
Job opportunities
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 28, 2016
It was a great experience. It had a lot of job opportunities, but at that time that job wasn't what I wanted to do. The people who work were great co workers.
Pros
walking distance
Cons
not very good pay for the job
This is a great place to work for young and old
PAY STATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  Raytown, MOJune 27, 2016
I have met alot of great people at this job and they have become the best part of my day. Energy levels and multi-tasking are a complete must.
Pros
SCHEDULING FLEXIBILITY
Fast paced and keeps you on your toes
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Watertown, SDJune 24, 2016
Hy-Vee is a busy place to work at. There is no sitting on the job and you are always on your feet doing something. As a cashier, you are assigned a register after clocking in and you stay at the register until you have a break or if it is really slow they have you do something else. Break time varies on how long you are working. 3 hour is no break, 4-5 hours is a 15 minute break, 6-7 is a 20 minute break, and 8 is two 15 minute breaks or one 30 minute break.
Cons
Short breaks
never had complaints
Frozen Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed my ten years in working for HY-Vee. I left to take on new challenges and experiences. Wouldnt be hurt to end up back there as a career.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
open 24/7 always work to do
Solid, reputable company with advancement opportunities
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 24, 2016
Pleasant atmosphere, nice and friendly co-workers, open door policy with management is appreciated, room for advancement and growth.
Pros
Benefits package
Fun and enjoyable surroundings
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJune 22, 2016
Many of the people there were very friendly. It was very easy to get along with most people that i worked with. The job was pretty easy itself with a nice pay. Customers were nice typically. We had a lot of sales that would cause a rush of customers that would make it hard but we were able to handle it. Was fairly easy to get days off if you had a good reason for it. The deli manager was very reasonable and helpful with helping you with your schedule. The assistant manager was very helpful with and questions about your job or questions about product. She was typically the go to person for questions.
Pros
Nice breaks, friendly people, decent hours
Cons
Some odd shifts, a few coworkers
Friendly atmosphere with welcoming employers
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 22, 2016
Helping customers is what the whole company is about. It is a very fast but welcoming atmosphere where everyone is willing to help one another to complete the task.
Great co-workers and management
Deli Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 21, 2016
The management at Hy-vee on 6th truly cares about their employees and wants to see them get the most out of their careers at Hy-Vee. Of course with not many full-time positions open, turn-over can be quite high and sometimes our Deli Department would be a lot shorter staffed than it should be. This put quite a bit of strain on the manager and the employee when they would have to work alone. I have worked for this Hy-Vee multiple times and I absolutely loved my co-workers. Despite being short staffed occasionally the work atmosphere was pretty great and always understanding. It was the main reason for staying and they also give quite generous raises if you deserve them.
Pros
great raises, fantastic co-workers, will work around anyone's schedule
Cons
high turn-over puts a lot of stress on employees
Great Place to Work
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 17, 2016
Super fun, good environment, hard work. They are very willing to work with your schedule. A great place to work while in school or to build a career
A Great Atmosphere: The Perfect Starting Point
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 17, 2016
All Hyvee stores have nothing but positivity radiating from them the moment you enter their parking lots. Working there is a breeze, as it is easy to make friends and the managers are kind. Although I am a bagger, I've had multiple opportunities to move beyond my typical job description, and try new things. I have been able to stock and organize shelves, work with Customer Service, and even work in the Market Café for a day. Everything about this job is great, but the hardest thing for me is my lack of interest for my job specifically. Although I enjoy trying new things, and the job in itself is fantastic, I feel as though my skills and experiences I have acquired over the years could be utilized in a more purposeful job.
Pros
Positive workspace, paid breaks
A nice place to work.
Floral Clerk (Current Employee) –  Belton, MOJune 16, 2016
Working at Hy-Vee, has been a pleasure, and provided me with a valuable learning experience in the grocery business. They hold true to their motto: Hy-Vee, where there's a helpful smile, in every isle.
Pros
The management is always available, and open to suggestions. My coworkers are friendly, and happy.
Cons
Salaries are more of an entry level, and don't provide for normal living expenses.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 15, 2016
Hy-vee is a great place to work, especially for teens in high school trying to get work experience and after school hours. Management is helpful and patient when you're learning your job. flexible hours.
Pros
pay, good management, flexible hours
Cons
got called in a lot because people called in sick or didn't show.
Each store is different.....
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 14, 2016
Worked for he West Des Moines and the West Ames Hy-Vee's as a cashier. At first they were nice considerate and acted like a family. Then I transferred over to Ames due to moving. They didnt inform me about a change in dress code and reprimanded me in front of all of the customers and all of the employees. I called my old boss to talk to her about it and she said to take it to the HR. So I did. The HR yelled at me for disrespecting his managers when all I did was call my old HR to find out how to handle this cause I felt harassed. Then my new HR called me on my personal phone to tell me that "If I don't listen to them they will make sure I NEVER work for their company again!" All I did was not wear a BELT cause I wes never told to, tell the HR, and ask why they couldn't say anything on break or something. At least in the back room.
Pros
Good when you find a nice one
Cons
Some don't care about their employees and don't care if u are harrased
Productive, Team based work.
Night Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirksville, MOJune 14, 2016
Good active work keeps me busy time goes by fast. Starting pay is $10.00 per hour. Part time get's 401k & health insurance if you want.
Pros
Bonus Checks. Good people
Cons
No full time.
A great place to work
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, MOJune 13, 2016
This was a great place to work. The management were positive and encouraged growth and advancement. I loved working for Hy-Vee.
Very fun environment
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 11, 2016
I worked in the bakery and enjoyed every second. The holidays were fun because we got to incorporate holiday themes on cookies, cakes, and pastries. The store is very close knit and the managers are very hands on.
Part-time
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Madison, IAJune 8, 2016
Helping people. Preparing food, stocking, opening and closing department. working at Hy-Vee was just something to get me by at the moment, not what i saw myself making a career out of.