Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,392 reviews matching the search
HORRIBLE management, upper management (former office employee)
Hy-vee, Inc. (Former Employee) –  OfficeSeptember 13, 2016
Worked there a LONG time and 10 years ago it would been an amazing place to work now.. It's awful. Young managers who don't know squat, don't do anything to take care of issues or problems. HORRIBLE pay with a couple cent raises. Broken promises of advancement.
Awful vacation time with zero sick leave. Overwork their employees but don't pay for quality of work people do.
Management turns the other cheek with issues whether work related or personal. Brainwashes you into thinking they are the best company that pays well and you should just be lucky you work for them.. Had I known what I know now I wouldn't have worked there. That place has changed and not for the better. Now is zero customer service, certainly not living up to its values as being a employee owned business, people are angry or sad or leaving daily...
Pros
401k match, debenture program, quarterly bonuses, nice cafeteria
Cons
Horrible management, upper management and HR department, Horrible pay, no raises, horrible vacation
Review of employment at Hyvee
Salad Bar Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAOctober 25, 2016
I have worked at hyvee for almost two years in the salad bar, as a part-time worker. I have wanted full time but they haven't offered it because of the department I am in is supposed to be down in labor. I have been working full time hours for a couple weeks now but they wont give me a pay raise for full time or title me as a full time worker. The management doesn't show much appreciation for my work or others. I enjoy working with many of my coworkers, the meals there are good and the customers are kind.
Pros
coworkers customers and good foodb
Cons
bad pay part time
Great co-workers and management
Deli Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 21, 2016
The management at Hy-vee on 6th truly cares about their employees and wants to see them get the most out of their careers at Hy-Vee. Of course with not many full-time positions open, turn-over can be quite high and sometimes our Deli Department would be a lot shorter staffed than it should be. This put quite a bit of strain on the manager and the employee when they would have to work alone. I have worked for this Hy-Vee multiple times and I absolutely loved my co-workers. Despite being short staffed occasionally the work atmosphere was pretty great and always understanding. It was the main reason for staying and they also give quite generous raises if you deserve them.
Pros
great raises, fantastic co-workers, will work around anyone's schedule
Cons
high turn-over puts a lot of stress on employees
Hy-Vee is a great place to work.
Floral Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 28, 2016
I was the floral manager so my typical hours were from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. I learned how to write schedules, submit projections, and was given the tools to be a leader. I liked my first store director. He was very talented and competent in his position. He was invested in my success. I enjoyed the other managers and my employees. The hardest part of the job is the holidays. Hy-Vee is open 24/7 364 days a year. I worked many holidays so that my employees could enjoy them with their families. The most enjoyable part of the job was the infectiousness of management. They made it a fun place to work and I looked forward to going daily.
Pros
great benefits, great people
Cons
holidays
A very dependable place to work.
Assistant Manager-Produce (Current Employee) –  Burlington, IASeptember 1, 2016
Working at Hy-Vee can be a great place for people to start young, and advance with the company if they so choose. I learned quite a bit about product placement, time efficiency, and learning that cutting corners does not give you the best results. I also learned many new and different ways of managing individuals who possess working characteristics that are different from my own. The hardest part of the job is just keeping up with the fast paced environment of customers constantly using the purchasing of your products. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the customers who depend on you to provide them with the products and services they want.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Management can be a little too strict at times.
Not a good place to work.
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 15, 2016
hy-vee is not an enjoyable job, no respect, no benefits if youre regular time.

a day at work is usually people calling in when there is a 50k pound truck to down stack and stock to put on the shelves.

management for the first 2 years was a joke. no one knew what they were doing, it was like they came in brand new as they somehow got passed by hire as management. always yelled orders, never checked up on how people were doing.

the hardest part of the job is the movement, bending, stretching, turning, twisting, can make your body extremely sore the following day.

the most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to take break from all the movement.
Pros
one free lunch on your birthday, thanksgiving, Christmas
Cons
short breaks, no free lunches, poor hourly shift rates, fluctuating schedule
Great grocery store to work for with great perks.
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 31, 2016
Typically days Hy-Vee go by pretty quick. It is a fast paced job where there is always something to do. Weather it is production work or cleaning you will stay busy for the entirety of your 8 hour work day. I love my co-workers to death. I will do anything to help them out throughout the day. While the co-workers are great management can be a bit demanding. I know that their job is to run a perfect store but some of their goals can be close to impossible to complete. The hardest part of my job would be standing for nearly 8 hours a day without sitting, except for my break. Also constantly lifting up to 80 Ib. boxes reguarly can be a bit much. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the overall work experience. Where I work, in the met dept., it is a stress free, fun place to be. We joke around with each other regularly and make each other feel appreciated.
Pros
On the clock breaks. Quarterly bonus checks. 401k included
Cons
Physically demanding job. Work night one night then following morning. Work almost every weekend
over work employees and give false advancement promises.
BAKER (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, IAJuly 24, 2016
The company overall isn't a bad one but the management I had in the store I worked at was awful. They made me advancement promises that they had no intentions of keeping. I was told if I continued to keep working as hard as I was I would be given the opportunity to move in to the management program this is after I had earned a bachelors degree in Business administration but was later told that the new manager in my department was not ready for me to advance and was still getting their "feet wet". Then I was told that my work was not consist enough even though the only mistakes that were brought to my attention were things that had just happened and most of it was not my fault, They were just nit picking reasons to not advance me.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Poor Management
Good place to start off
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 2, 2016
Good place to start off. Need to exceed expectations to have a raise or promotion. Can get caught up in drama. Word of mouth travels faster than actual facts. Set schedule would be an improvement. Organization overall needs to improve. Management needs to look less at labor and more at the individual.
Pros
Atmosphere. Workability.
Cons
Raises. Promotions. Organization.
Opinion about Hy-Vee Inc.
Meat Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IANovember 4, 2016
A typical day in the Meat Dept. was checking for outdated product. Filling and maintaining Display Case. Cutting meat and working some machinery. Packaging and weighing fresh product. I learned many things on a daily basis and management and my co-workers taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job was trying to complete what needed to be done, while at the same time helping customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of our customers.
Pros
Meeting people in the community.
Cons
Lack of advancement.

Want to know more about Hy-Vee, Inc.?

Ask a question
Great supervisors, enjoyable place to work, positive atmosphere
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianola, IAOctober 6, 2016
A typical day at work starts with getting an update on the day's activities and objectives. Start working on preparing items for the showcase while staying alert for customers. Always keep a positive and helpful attitude and be able to meet the customers' needs. Learned a great deal on the importance of customer service and maintaining a positive attitude. Attention to detail is a key component when dealing with perishable items as the work place needs to be kept clean and organized. The management led by example in that they always exhibited a positive mentality. The co-workers made the meat department and enjoyable and comfortable place to work. In dealing with hazardous equipment such as knives, saws and grinding machines, safety needs to be one of the highest priorities. The most difficult part of the job would be the constant standing and movement throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the people in general, from the employees to the customers it was never hard to maintain a smile.
Pros
Good lunch options, fun co-workers, variable hours
Cons
long hours on feet
Good Employee owned company that bonuses
Frozen/Dairy Associate (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILJuly 8, 2016
Hy-Vee is a great company all in all in all. The company is rapidly growing and there are many career opportunities within the company. My day at work would consist of walking the department early in the morning identifying big missing items that need to be ran to the shelf, then completing the orders for the day which for me consist of dairy/milk. After that I create a list of prioritized tasks for the rest of the employees in the department. We all work together to get these tasks done as fast and efficiently as possible. Co-workers at Hy-Vee are great. Always some of the friendliest people. The only complaint i do have about Hy-Vee is their selection of management. The hardest part of my job would definitely have to be pre ordering item for upcoming sales because you can never know exactly how much of a product you are going to sell over that time period.
Pros
Paid vacation/personal days
Cons
Some management is sub par
Good support from management and positive work environment
Chef's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 27, 2016
Hy-Vee is a wonderful place for first-time job-seekers or for people looking for part-time work. The management is friendly, supportive, open, and responsive. The main downside would have to be the insurance plan offered to part-time employees. Schedules are consistent, and it is easy to request time off. Hy-Vee also offers plenty of support for people looking to advance careers instead of fill time with a job. There are certainly worse retail jobs and careers.
Pros
Comfortable environment; good support from management.
Cons
Compensation and benefits are sometimes lacking.
Decent place to work if you just want a job you don't care about
Restaurant Employee (Former Employee) –  Hy-Vee West Madison, WIMarch 25, 2016
I worked in the restaurant here. I would have had a better experience if I hadn't grown to care so much about the job I was doing. Rediculous staffing problems, wrong people hired for certain jobs, and never with availability in the necessary times. Always either under staffed or over staffed. Changed managers 5 times while I was there. Crazy pay inconsistencies, Asst. Managers making more than their managers, no raises, training people and working over people who are making a considerably higher wage. Just crazy, unorganized, unprofessional. One of the main store managers literally ran away from me when I tried asking a question. It was a great learning experience however, and I met some awesome people while working there. Co workers are mostly great, hardworking people. I could generally work a decent schedule that made for a work/life balance that made the job worthwhile.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Food Discounts during your shift
Cons
low pay, over working, understaffed, management takes advantage
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 1, 2016
If you enjoy customer service, this is a great part time job! Scheduling was flexible, but minimal. Co-workers were great and so were the customers.
Pros
Chances for advancement are there.
Cons
Politics in management made for an undesirable work atmosphere.
Not an enjoyable workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 11, 2016
People who work hard do not get advancement within the system of Hy-Vee. Advancement is given to those that management likes. Not by work performance.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 29, 2016
A typical day at Hy-Vee was generally the same thing with out much changing. It was rather tedious and repetitive, but was not horrible. My co-workers kept things interesting and made the days enjoyable. I learned a lot about self drive. This ability to keep myself busy and productive is something that I will carry with me to other jobs. The management overall was very good. They were understanding about occurrences that come up in life. However, there was one manager that made the work environment very hostile for the student part timers. The hardest part of the job was being able to be comfortable with my own thoughts. Since a lot of the work was done by one person, it was the only thing to keep my mind busy and became very boring after a while. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with people because it was a way to keep my mind busy so I could keep a constant rate of productivity. Arguably the second best part of my job was unloading our shipments. This was great because we were allowed to listen to our music during this time which made the time fly by as well as being physical was a breath of fresh air, since the job required a lot of standing in one spot with minimum movement.
Pros
Small discounts on lunches
Cons
Few and short breaks, no benefits, no real security
Solid, reputable company with advancement opportunities
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 24, 2016
Pleasant atmosphere, nice and friendly co-workers, open door policy with management is appreciated, room for advancement and growth.
Pros
Benefits package
Fun and family orentated enviorment
Smoked meats dept Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNNovember 14, 2016
Great place to work. Great management team. Very good benefits. Employee owned with a great bonus package that also includes part time employee's. Plus all employee's get a fuel discount at Hyvee owned gas stations
Horrible management, good employees.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IANovember 4, 2016
Working for hyvee is definitely controversial. One the one hand you have some great people to work with, as in your team crew.
On the other your management is more than likely and this is putting it mildly..horrible and extremely unhelpful
Working 3rd shift is all stress, there isn't much communication on what to do, they just tell you to explore the store on "your" time to get the hang of all the isles and where everything goes.
If your able to put up with that you should be fine.
The pay is decent but you could do better, the stress is not worth it.
Pros
Either a cake or pizza on your birthday, 1 hour break.
Cons
No free food on break, bad management, People always call in on big nights.