Hy-Vee Food Stores

Hy-Vee Food Stores Employee Reviews

Too many store dynamics
Baker, Decorator, Clerk, and Barista (Former Employee), Sycamore, ILJune 21, 2015
Pros: Great selection
Cons: Must work one weekend day, whether you're FT, RT, or PT and not enough Female higher-ups
A lot of times throughout the years I worked there I saw people get promoted to an asst. mgr. or mgr. position that shouldn't have had that opportunity. There were many more lazy workers than hard workers, and the hard workers barely got recognized by their bosses, unless they were just a selfless incredible human being (not likely). If you have a good manager, it is probably due to luck. It basically comes down to this: whichever employee can talk themselves up and be charming to a higher-up, is the employee who will go somewhere in the company.
Wonderful Employee Owned Company
Catering / Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSJune 17, 2015
You have a vested interest in performing well. The success of each location is directly in your control through daily customer service and interactions.
fun place to work, multiple job opportunities
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee), Sioux City, IAMay 18, 2015
Pros: working for an employee owned company
Cons: working with my husband at the time, being watched more closely because my husband was a manager
This was one of my first jobs. I started out as a cashier and then moved the pizza department in my younger years. I moved to Kansas where I was hired as an accounting coordinator. I met my husband here and then moved to Nebraska where I was hired as the Human Resource manager but then told later that it was given to another person for a favor of another manager in town.
I enjoyed the accounting coordinator position where I learned how to balance each of the 24 cash registers, safe, and books daily. I also enjoyed the hours, 5:00 a.m. - 1:00. In this position we also were human resources so I learned more about benefits, hiring and termination paperwork, payroll, balanced books with each department head for monthly inventory. Management was awesome at the one store I worked for in Kansas but management changed when I moved to Nebraska. I was hired for a position then once we moved there I was told I didn't get the position so I was offered to work in customer service but had to train the new Human Resource Manager. In the customer service position I cashed checks, balanced my register after my shift, sold money orders, completed cash transfers for western union, sold stamps and lotto.
The hardest part of this position was dealing with some customers that were angry and argumentative when they wanted things for free and I could not give it to them for obvious reasons. It was also difficult at times to find an error when balancing the books.
Good job for a student
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Ankeny, IASeptember 19, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
A day at work would involve food preparation, assisting customers and taking money payments. I had a great manager that made it feel like a fun, relaxed environment while doing our jobs.
Awesome energy
Cash Accountability/Customer Service/Photo (Former Employee), Minnesota and NebraskaSeptember 2, 2014
I really loved the energy of the employees. We all really cared for the customers and it showed. I had a few customers who would come to my department for items only when I was there because I did the best job on their orders.
The hardest part was when it would get so busy and customers would get upset because we can only do certain customer service tasks so fast.
Hy-Vee
Backroom Manager, Sioux Falls (Current Employee), Sioux FallsAugust 9, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: the hours
My whole career has been with Hy-Vee. From the time I was a part time employee to a full time manager. I have learned to be customer orientated and how to manage employees the best way possible. I have handled customer issues on numerous occasions. The hardest part about the job has been the schedule. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers and allowing me to help them as best as I could. Management is great but chances for advancement is not as great as I would like.
Mind-numbingly repetitive
Deli Associate (Former Employee), Brookings, SDJune 5, 2014
Pros: not an overly demanding job
Cons: near impossible to get full-time work
a great job for college students, or those with busy live that want a second job. Co-workers are generally nice and friendly,
manager of the wine and spirits
Wine and Spirits Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, IAApril 27, 2014
-nice company to work for.
-day to day activities change daily
-very long days and sometime work 50+ hours a week
fun place to work
Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee), Marshalltown, IAFebruary 18, 2014
pretty easy going unless the store was busy than most people were in a panic. I learned a lot throughout my career and had a lot of different jobs. I had fun with the people I worked with for the most part and became friends with a lot of people along the way. The hardest part of the job is when people did not communicate with one another. Most enjoyable was the people.
Fun Experience
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Iowa Falls, IADecember 22, 2013
Hy-Vee was a great company to work for. They gave me my first management role at an early age that has helped me through out my management career.
Fun employs, great experience, good management
Merchandiser, Sales (Former Employee), Burlington, IADecember 5, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, fun employees
Cons: pay, growth options
• Handled transactions between the company and customers in a timely and courteous manner.
• Prepared orders and processed transactions between the company and local food and beverage establishments.
• Responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction by maintaining an exceptional selection of inventory at all times.
• Assisted in the receiving of new inventory from multiple distributors.
• Responsible for reporting the need of product to appropriate superiors.
• Understood and acted appropriately to keep product loss to a minimum.
• Reduced major conflicts to minimal inconvenience.
• Operated under state and local laws and regulating the sales of alcohol and tobacco and implemented appropriate practices to maintain compliance.
• Created promotional advertisement campaign documents and coordinated sales events.
• Assisted new product introduction.
na
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Independence MoAugust 20, 2013
enjoyed the people I worked with but was misled a lot by upper management
Fun and exciting place to work. Love working with the public
Clerk - Part time (Current Employee), Omaha, NEAugust 18, 2013
Meet and greet new and existing customers, various duties each day. From setting up roller grill, preparing food for warmer, replenishing cups, condiments, coffee, stocking coolers. Maintaining restrooms, stocking shelves, cleaning, unloading truck. Waiting on customers and assuring their needs are met.
Learned how to prepare for each days needs, and compromise to keep customers happy.
Working with the team has been a great experience. Love every minute of it.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to secure a full time position with this company.
Most enjoyable: I love being able to move around, greet the customers and keep busy when there aren't any. Always something to do, never a dull moment.
Loved working there
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Coralville, IAAugust 15, 2013
Enjoyed working there. Quit job due to move and inablility to get there.
Good Workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Blue Springs, MOMay 20, 2013
Pros: good management
Cons: no benefits, low hourly pay
Clock into work
end of shift restock
Clock out of work
Great fast paced environment
Cashier/Pay Station Clerk (Current Employee), Albert Lea, MNMay 10, 2013
I have been able to attend family functions, and doctor appointments because they really work with your availability and request offs. I have some hard working co-workers and I enjoy talking with my customers and answering any of their questions.
productive, friendly, flexible, advancements
Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee), Rock Island, ILApril 20, 2013
clean, prep food, assist customers and inqueries
clean workplace, maintain productivity, product management
friendly, flexible, professional, willing to assist
impatient customers and unwilling to cooperate
friendly service and environment
IIt's a nice place,if the right people are hired.
Night stock(former asistint manager) (Former Employee), Waseca, MN transfered to Owatonna Minnesota.April 15, 2013
Pros: opurtunities
Cons: the lack of hours, they don't want to give anymore then have to.
Over all its a company,if you would ever want to get into sales
management or some kind of management I would highly
recamend hyvee food stores.
This was a fun job. I worked with mostly college and high school students. We sliced and sold various meats and cheeses, sandwiches, and salads.
PT Deli Associate (Former Employee), Ankeny, IAApril 14, 2013
Pros: i like the people i worked with. young people are fun to work with.
Cons: it was physical work. i had my own cleaning business at the time.
I worked part time in the evenings and generally closed. There would be a list of things to be done left by the manager of the deli. I would make sure that the cold case was filled or being filled. I checked the back stock to see if there was enough meat and cheese to slice for the evening. I checked the sandwich bar to see if anything was needed there. I made egg salad when needed and tuna salad. At the end of the night we tore everything down, cleaned/disinfected and put it back together. We cleaned the coolers that held the meats and the ones that held the cheese. We filled the cold case, covered it and turned all the light off. I learned how to delegate jobs to everyone that was working that night, helped at the counter, and made sure everyone had breaks. My co-workers were usually younger, but we always had a good time and they worked hard when we got busy. The hardest part was being on my feet at long periods of time.
Been too long to remember it all
Store Shift Manager (Former Employee), Johnston, IAApril 11, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: i was on salary paid for 45hrs worked 65hrs weekly.
I worked at Hy-Vee when managers were on Salary, they've recently abolished salary pay and have gone to hourly. Not a bad company to work for since then apparently.

Hy-Vee Food Stores Salaries