Hyde Park Restaurant Group

Hyde Park Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Worst decision I have ever made
Supervisor, Management Trainee (Former Employee), Birmingham, MichiganFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: nice foh, sous chef, and supervisor
Cons: everything else
After going through four interviews it was decided I would be a Supervisor with high potential for promotion to Sous Chef at a Columbus Hyde Park restaurant. I was sent to Birmingham Michigan to go through four weeks of the manager training program. I would be driving from Columbus Ohio to Birmingham Michigan. I agreed to the terms and put my two weeks notice in at my job that I had been employed at for 6 years.

I drove 4 hours to Birmingham to begin my training. After I finished my paperwork I met the people in the kitchen that I would be working with for the next 4 weeks.

From the beginning, the chef that was supposed to be training me treated me more like a burden than an investment in the company's future. He did not follow the assigned schedule for training nor did we have any conferences or reviews about my performance. I received no direction or guidance, except to occasionally be told to just stand around.

Seeing as I have not yet developed the ability to read minds I asked often what was required of me. I only had four days of training per week, so I wanted to take in as much as possible. Typically (before service), I was given busy-work prep projects (peeling shrimp, cleaning Brussels sprouts, etc), so getting a full grasp of the restaurant, culture, and its goings on was impossible.

I took it all with a grain of salt though and took as much as I could in with a smile on my face. When I arrived home at 1am Valentines night I felt pretty good about the week, all things considered, and went over the pros and cons of my experience with my fiancee. I decided to go – more... into the next week with a great attitude and I wouldn't let the previous week ruin what I was there to do.

The night before I was scheduled to leave for my second week in Michigan, I got a call from the head of HR informing me that I was no longer employed with them. I was shocked and no matter what I said she had no answers for me. I called several other upper level managers and they deferred me or gave me vague answers. I still have not gotten a clear answer as to why I was fired, after giving up my career of 6 years at another restaurant, in just 4 short days.

I spoke with some people I know in the company and they made it clear to me that the executive chef at Birmingham was to blame. They described exactly what I went through, when they had gone through the training program. The difference was that they were being trained to start as managers, so he couldn't just get them fired like he did me.

It's a sad thing when a person I barely know feels like they shouldn't have to be bothered with me. That with one lie they can nearly ruin my life and the life of my growing family (my fiance is pregnant). Despite all this I know enough people that I will find work and I am thankful that this experience has shown me the very rock bottom of the industry that I love. – less
Terrific company with strong values and incerdible growth!
GM (Former Employee), BeachwoodOctober 16, 2014
Pros: excellent upper management and owners, training, work-life balance, promote from within
Cons: none.
I was a gm for the Beachwood property for 2+ yrs and they are a fantastic company to work for. Their operation from the top down is terrific. The owners are commited to excellence and value their employees. The Director of Ops is top notch, knowledgeable, and understands the ins and outs of the business and drives the vision forward with passion. The regional manager is also great and is a fun person to work with and is always willing to lend a helping hand. The co-workers are great and they hire very competent people. Training is unbelieveable and very hands on. They believe in a good balance of life, which is nice in our industry! You'll be glad you worked for Hyde Park!
Detailed oriented and takes pride in learning company systems to be the best employee!
Director of Training and Development (Current Employee), Beachwood, OHJune 10, 2013
Pros: company dining allowance, 401 k, medical coverage, life insurance policy, paid vacation
Cons: long hours 14 average per day
A typical day at work may start off at my office (corporate office) at 8am. Then by 1pm I am at a location to train a new manager. By 5pm I am training that new manager hands on. My day may end at 8pm or 9pm most days which can cause me to be exhausted, but I love my job!
I really enjoy working for The Hyde Park Group
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 25, 2013
I have enjoyed working for the Hyde Park Group in several positions, in several concepts, and several states. They have a great group of people working for them and the are truly passionate about food and beverage as well as guest service. They really treat their employees well and I would recommend anyone to work for them.

About Hyde Park Restaurant Group

The Hyde Park Restaurant Group currently owns & operates sixteen upscale restaurant establishments in Ohio, Pennsylvania, – Read more