Hyde Park Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Worked to the bone.
BOH Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chagrin Falls, OHOctober 12, 2017
Management is falling apart. They can't keep up with the turnover rate. We have new faces every week and are gone within a few days. Ive stopped learning names.
Great people and place bad general manager
Server (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 31, 2017
Awesome place to work. Great staff, very well paid. Parking sucks and the general manager is not a good person to say the least but good place to work overall.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Bad parking
Great place to learn and develop your skills
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHAugust 10, 2017
Fast paced company to work for where you can grow and develop as a cook into possibly a management position. Can get stressful at times, long hours are to be expected.
Pros
Benefits, busy seasons meaning hours, job security, and a family like environment
Fast Paced Professional
HR Assistant / Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 8, 2017
Dinner only service, great money for hours worked. team service - work with another server. busy during games and events - good staff to work with - managers are hard working and personable
Great workplace, great attitude when in the building
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER -EMPLOYMENT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 21, 2017
Excellent manager, very professional, brought it everyday, p and l's, manage staff, expo, sales calls, even did yard work outside, would also come in on days off
Lots of Opportunity
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioOctober 6, 2015
They offer lots of opportunity for transfer and upward mobility, and they have very specific systems in place for managing costs, reporting information. If you prefer to have very clear cut expectations of the job responsibility, this is a great place for you!!

Plenty of room to grow in the company with a fun but professional atmosphere that can leave you wanting to come to work
Professional Culture
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2015
loved my time with this company, very supportive management and corporate team. long hours, but not as long as most hospitality jobs. very professional clientele, A LOT of growth opportunity, and they are very good about promoting form with in.
Pros
benefits, holidays are closed, manager meals, discounts, bonus.
Cons
50 hour work week
Great Restaurant Management Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  ClevelandOctober 2, 2015
Great quality of life given the industry, corporate team really cares about management and staff. a lot of growth potential, great benefits, closed all holidays.
Not good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 14, 2015
They have no cares for you at all. They do not take care of their staff or management and they treat everyone as if they are replaceable.
Worst decision I have ever made
Supervisor, Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MichiganFebruary 19, 2015
After going through four interviews it was decided I would be a Supervisor with high potential for promotion to Sous Chef at a Columbus Hyde Park restaurant. I was sent to Birmingham Michigan to go through four weeks of the manager training program. I would be driving from Columbus Ohio to Birmingham Michigan. I agreed to the terms and put my two weeks notice in at my job that I had been employed at for 6 years.

I drove 4 hours to Birmingham to begin my training. After I finished my paperwork I met the people in the kitchen that I would be working with for the next 4 weeks.

From the beginning, the chef that was supposed to be training me treated me more like a burden than an investment in the company's future. He did not follow the assigned schedule for training nor did we have any conferences or reviews about my performance. I received no direction or guidance, except to occasionally be told to just stand around.

Seeing as I have not yet developed the ability to read minds I asked often what was required of me. I only had four days of training per week, so I wanted to take in as much as possible. Typically (before service), I was given busy-work prep projects (peeling shrimp, cleaning Brussels sprouts, etc), so getting a full grasp of the restaurant, culture, and its goings on was impossible.

I took it all with a grain of salt though and took as much as I could in with a smile on my face. When I arrived home at 1am Valentines night I felt pretty good about the week, all things considered, and went over the pros and cons of my experience with my fiancee.
  more... I decided to go into the next week with a great attitude and I wouldn't let the previous week ruin what I was there to do.

The night before I was scheduled to leave for my second week in Michigan, I got a call from the head of HR informing me that I was no longer employed with them. I was shocked and no matter what I said she had no answers for me. I called several other upper level managers and they deferred me or gave me vague answers. I still have not gotten a clear answer as to why I was fired, after giving up my career of 6 years at another restaurant, in just 4 short days.

I spoke with some people I know in the company and they made it clear to me that the executive chef at Birmingham was to blame. They described exactly what I went through, when they had gone through the training program. The difference was that they were being trained to start as managers, so he couldn't just get them fired like he did me.

It's a sad thing when a person I barely know feels like they shouldn't have to be bothered with me. That with one lie they can nearly ruin my life and the life of my growing family (my fiance is pregnant). Despite all this I know enough people that I will find work and I am thankful that this experience has shown me the very rock bottom of the industry that I love.
Pros
Nice FOH, Sous Chef, and Supervisor
Cons
Everything Else
Terrific company with strong values and incerdible growth!
GM (Former Employee) –  BeachwoodOctober 16, 2014
I was a gm for the Beachwood property for 2+ yrs and they are a fantastic company to work for. Their operation from the top down is terrific. The owners are commited to excellence and value their employees. The Director of Ops is top notch, knowledgeable, and understands the ins and outs of the business and drives the vision forward with passion. The regional manager is also great and is a fun person to work with and is always willing to lend a helping hand. The co-workers are great and they hire very competent people. Training is unbelieveable and very hands on. They believe in a good balance of life, which is nice in our industry! You'll be glad you worked for Hyde Park!
Pros
excellent upper management and owners, training, work-life balance, promote from within
Cons
none.
Productive and fun place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHDecember 23, 2013
Overall great atmosphere and fun place to work. the operations department has priority in decision making and focus of the company however everyone in the department is easy to approach and get along with.
Pros
great culture, great people, intimate workplace where everyone knows eachother
Cons
n/a
Detailed oriented and takes pride in learning company systems to be the best employee!
Director of Training and Development (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHJune 10, 2013
A typical day at work may start off at my office (corporate office) at 8am. Then by 1pm I am at a location to train a new manager. By 5pm I am training that new manager hands on. My day may end at 8pm or 9pm most days which can cause me to be exhausted, but I love my job!
Pros
Company dining allowance, 401 K, Medical Coverage, Life Insurance Policy, Paid vacation
Cons
Long Hours 14 average per day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hyde Park Restaurant Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Hyde Park Restaurant Group Reviews by Location