HYDRO-GEAR Employee Reviews

Clean and quiet factory, decent pay.
Silver level tear down operator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILAugust 13, 2017
Fast paced factory environment; definitely room for motivated people to work hard and grow with a growing company. As a production associate, there is a great team work ethic here, along with urgency to make quality transmissions at quota.
Pros
Clean, safe work enviroment. Growing company with a vision for the future.
Cons
Compensation, particually pay, is below average.
Great starter job
Industrial Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJuly 19, 2017
Hydro-gear is a great place for someone that is right out of school to learn from years and years of experienced professionals. They offer a wide range of opportunities at many levels of business.
Productive and Wonderful
Bronze Advanced Operator and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJuly 18, 2017
I love working here. Sure, it has some normal difficulties that ALL employers have, but overall, it is excellent. The benefits are great and the more you apply yourself, the further you will go. The starting pay is below industry average, but you can very easily catch up in a short amount of time. Any bad review seen, is either from a terrible worker that calls off all the time, or temp workers that don't for some reason know they do not actually work for Hydro-Gear. On that note even, the only real requirement to get hired on to Hydro-Gear is actually showing up for work. If you are willing to work hard, I VERY HIGHLY recommend this employer.
Pros
9 Months of overtime ( 6 Days a Week), and NO WEEKENDS during the Summer.
Cons
Favoritism can happen but not normal
Productive place to work
Assmbler (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJune 5, 2017
It's a stabile job there's not much interaction. It's a keep to your self type of job if your not into customer service then this job is great unlike me I like interacting with people making my job a fun place to go to not just a job
Pros
The pay rate it good
Cons
A loner Job
A lot of Team work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILApril 21, 2017
Everybody worked as a Team and acted as a family. They where really good with giving incentives to the workers for their hard work.Hours where also very good
Fun work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILFebruary 14, 2017
Good job assignment just ended love the staff safe environment recommended to all loved it never had problems good pay good support system good money
Alright Place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, KYFebruary 11, 2017
I gave it 4 stars because the management is so friendly, but the work is like a sentence to hard labour, I was only here a couple days, the reason I didn't come back is because it was disorganized and I had to ask what to do every 5 minutes, I like a job where I can go in and do my thing and leave, I don't want to ask what to do all the time like a child, but like I said the higher-ups were really cool. You have to stretch before you start I thought that was really goofy, I didn't do it because it made me feel like a moron.
Pros
Cons
Disorganized
Product Engineer
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILNovember 22, 2016
I learned a lot the lengthy time that I worked there.
In Product Development the task may include about anything. You see the product from birth to grave.
Upper Management (specifically the Sales & Apps management) is the worst I have ever seen anywhere.
large turn over rate
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, KYNovember 19, 2016
you stretch before work and at lunch to keep you limber. you are assigned a machine and are to keep track of your performance per hour and in between breaks to see if goals were being met. your co-workers will help until you get the hang of the machines at first after that it is up too you. the hard part is the repetitive lifting and the long work week if you are not use to the 7 days a week mandatory overtime during the seasonal times. they do give grill outs during the summer and buy food for those breaking the records times as well.
Pros
free meals, pay, and local so less drive time to work.
Cons
waiting forever to get hired on even after your 90 days, making goals to be met even with a small crew.
Fun place to work. Easy work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILNovember 8, 2016
This is very fun place to work and I learned the machines very quickly. Everyone was very nice and it went at a good pace. Would recommend to anyone looking for a job.
Everyone is new
Machining Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 30, 2016
New production workers turned loose on cnc equipment with little training. Machines crashed several times a week from misloaded parts or parts not even clamped. This is dangerous and scary, but accepted as normal. Makes life hard for manufacturing engineers who are lined- up and intimidated to explain to senior management. Quality department is there to assign blame, not to solve problems. Always crisis management with little opportunity to work on pro-active improvements. This could easily be a great place to work with a few changes, and if the right people were allowed to work without micromanagement.
Pros
Good bonus, nice clean air-conditioned shop
Cons
Too many new people, Not helpful to be micro-managed, No one got a cost of living raise for years.
Harsh working environment, but outstanding compensation benefits.
Machinist / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 7, 2016
During my employment here I developed specific skills and learn things that will allow me to function in many different types of working environments. This was not my ideal job, but the compensation at the time was sufficient.
assemble king
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working in a high fast environment. the management team was great, at getting us to work as a team, for continual flow of zero-turn transmissions fully assemble together.
Concerned about high turnover
Engineering applicant (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Although being well qualified, recommended, a spotless history, and well matched for the open positions I have never even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement of applying, even by recruiters. The same engineering positions are posted over and over. According to a former employee, there is high turnover in the engineering department and people do not stay. There must be some other problems there.
Easy work and enjoyable people
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Princeton, KYDecember 27, 2015
I go in everyday and help my team build transmissions. I've been able to wear many hats at HydroGear which was great for me since I enjoy learning so much. I couldn't ask for better co-workers; they always help the day go by quickly! The hardest part of the job would be just the monotonous work.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Very hard to advance
Machine operator
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 4, 2015
Maintain and run equipment safely and effectively. I produce and check the safety and quality of part that are made. My job has many good qualities such as their hour availability and their positive support staff.
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
n/a
A very productive and fast-paced work envirionment
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, IllinoisJuly 8, 2015
I was a mentor who trained new hires and made sure they knew their job tasks. I worked on a pretty standard assembly line. It was a very fast-paced environment.
Warehouse laborer
Machine operator observing Safety (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILDecember 28, 2014
Day consisted of operating multiple machines while it finishes drilling the hydro-static transmissions for lawn and garden equipment. Gained knowledge about transmissions and the capabilities with them. Management was structured well and followed procedures and operations accordingly. Co-workers were fairly kind and generous for the majority of the time. Hardest part of the job was Constantly standing on concrete for several work shifts and the loneliness while performing the duties assigned.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Low wage, rare advancement oppurtunities, and fair benifits.
Change...
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJanuary 31, 2014
It used to not be a bad place to work at but as most places do, things change over time. So many people have come and gone and it's just not the same place.
Pros
Good company once you get hired on full-time. Good benefits.
Cons
Too many temp jobs, The company doesn't hire that often. A lot of lay-offs.
Awesome Job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILSeptember 13, 2013
Was the cleanest place I've every worked and it was a factory, took the job a a break in career and was second nature the my mechanical nature. Was a temp assignment and enjoyed every moment and learned allot from the experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HYDRO-GEAR. Our community is ready to answer.

HYDRO-GEAR Reviews by Location