HYDRO-GEAR Employee Reviews in United States

assemble king
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working in a high fast environment. the management team was great, at getting us to work as a team, for continual flow of zero-turn transmissions fully assemble together.
Concerned about high turnover
Engineering applicant (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Although being well qualified, recommended, a spotless history, and well matched for the open positions I have never even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement of applying, even by recruiters. The same engineering positions are posted over and over. According to a former employee, there is high turnover in the engineering department and people do not stay. There must be some other problems there.
Easy work and enjoyable people
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Princeton, KYDecember 27, 2015
I go in everyday and help my team build transmissions. I've been able to wear many hats at HydroGear which was great for me since I enjoy learning so much. I couldn't ask for better co-workers; they always help the day go by quickly! The hardest part of the job would be just the monotonous work.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Very hard to advance
Machine operator
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 4, 2015
Maintain and run equipment safely and effectively. I produce and check the safety and quality of part that are made. My job has many good qualities such as their hour availability and their positive support staff.
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
n/a
A very productive and fast-paced work envirionment
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, IllinoisJuly 8, 2015
I was a mentor who trained new hires and made sure they knew their job tasks. I worked on a pretty standard assembly line. It was a very fast-paced environment.
Warehouse laborer
Machine operator observing Safety (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILDecember 28, 2014
Day consisted of operating multiple machines while it finishes drilling the hydro-static transmissions for lawn and garden equipment. Gained knowledge about transmissions and the capabilities with them. Management was structured well and followed procedures and operations accordingly. Co-workers were fairly kind and generous for the majority of the time. Hardest part of the job was Constantly standing on concrete for several work shifts and the loneliness while performing the duties assigned.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
low wage, rare advancement oppurtunities, and fair benifits.
Change...
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJanuary 31, 2014
It used to not be a bad place to work at but as most places do, things change over time. So many people have come and gone and it's just not the same place.
Pros
good company once you get hired on full-time. good benefits.
Cons
too many temp jobs, the company doesn't hire that often. a lot of lay-offs.
Awesome Job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILSeptember 13, 2013
Was the cleanest place I've every worked and it was a factory, took the job a a break in career and was second nature the my mechanical nature. Was a temp assignment and enjoyed every moment and learned allot from the experience.
Daily job duties
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILApril 2, 2013
My typical day of work starts off with overseeing the loading and paperwork for our sister plant in Kentucky that they need for daily operation. Then it is off to customer orders and all the overseas shipments which require documentation. Daily BOL and invoice preperation along with loading the customers orders on trucks. Other daily duties include customer relations, computer data entry and load scheduling, tracking shipments and Receiving duties too.
I have learned a great deal about the logistics field during my tenure here, and I am ready to take on new responsibilities and learn more. I have the best co-workers around. We are like a family and all of them are really good people. The hardest part of my job would have to be the overseas orders. Various documentation for specific countries can be a challange, but I get it done. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I ship our products all over the world.
Pros
flexable work hours
Cons
short staff sometimes
Not a job to risk your health for
Assembly Operator 45-2 (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJanuary 10, 2013
Terrible, terrible, terrible company! Basically, you're going to stand in a small, uncomfortable space by yourself or with one other person and assemble a lawn mower transmission. Eight hours a day. Five and six days a week. I learned that Hydro-Gear doesn't play fairly, they give misleading information to certain groups of employees, the company practices favortism and harassment religiously, the company's Supervisors and Supervisor Assistants know LESS about the assembly line than an employee with ONLY 2 months of experience does, an employee has to practically beg for more advanced training, the space available for parking is EXTREMELY insufficient (which only causes more stress and frustration), the absenteeism point system (occurences) is a pound and a half of bologna, the chance for advancement is slim to none, and the company's idea of a "clean and friendly work environment" is a bleached and sparkling restroom. My Supervisors were terrible. All of them. A majority of the time, they had NO IDEA what they were doing and had to have employees of much lower stature guide them through processes. About 90% of my co-workers were great, easy to work alongside, easy to please, concerned with the safety of everyone else and themselves, dedicated, and respectful. The other 10% of my co-workers, however, were awful. Entirely rude, misleading, judgemental, stressful, lazy, careless, disrespectful, kniving, nosey, unhelpful, unproductive, and too concernced with running off to the restrooms to talk on their cell phones. The job ITSELF was easy, boring, and repetitive. The most enjoyable  more... part of my job was coming home at night. A ten minute break and a twenty minute lunch period are just not enough to make up for the stress and weight you feel applied to your body during your shift.  less
Pros
some co-workers, high safety awareness
Cons
short breaks, supervisors, harassment, no room for advancement, insufficient parking, boring, repetitive

Want to know more about HYDRO-GEAR?

Ask a question
don't work here you will regret it!
assembly opperorator 2 (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, IlliniosNovember 28, 2012
A typical work day consists of standing on concreate floors in one spot putting on the same part all day every day. Not bad if you like repetition and boredom. The only thing I learned from this company is I will never work for another like it. The management is terrible. Supervisors will harrass you and put you down and give little to no compliments or incouragement on top of that they took away all the perks of working there. They are constently laying-off employees, but there are people who have been working there 10+ years and they barely make $12 an hour. So there is no job security and very little room for advancement. 90 percent of the employees act like immature bratty little teenage kids that are quick to insult and slander you. If you do have problems the HR department will do NOTHING in it's power to help you out. Hydo-Gear is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The hardest part of the job was putting with all of this on a daily basis, and most enjoyable part about the job was knowing that I got to go home at the end day. PLEASE, PLEASE don't work for this company you will regret it as I did. They will take you in chew you up and spit you out because they don't value their employees nor do they value the community of Sullivan, Illinois.
Pros
i can't think of any pros on why anyone would want to work there.
Cons
there's not enough space for the cons i can think of, bad place to work.
Steady job
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILNovember 28, 2012
Hydro-Gear's a pretty good place to work. They're safety conscious, and I felt like the management was generally interested in keeping the employees happy. The building and grounds are clean.

Learning the job seems difficult in the beginning, but you quickly get the hang of it.
Cons
temp to hire
good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILSeptember 24, 2012
It's was a good job I had fun working there. The people there nice and friendly.
Productive and very friendly people
Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILSeptember 18, 2012
Go to meeting, go to work area, start work by picking parts and assembling them in lawn mowers.
How and where the parts go in the mowers.
They leave you alone except when test products came down the line.
They help out anywhere they can.
Testing the units in motor oil and then lifting them up to finish the process to ship them.
Being able to work with others and help out where needed.
Productive, Professional, Safety Orienented
Machining (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILApril 2, 2012
Mornging team meeting, on production floor, T.P.M.'s of machines, checking oil and coolant levels, relieving of last shift's employees, Learned quality checks of products machined, learnded some maintaining of cleanliness of inside machines, safety first, inside and outside parts of hydro-static transmissions, good management team, nothing hard bout job, people worked with made job most enjoyable.
Pros
relaxed work environment, great training, safety matters, good group of people
Cons
point system, took morning and afternoon breaks away, lunch time 20 break only, made stressful work days.
clean awsome work enviroment
assembler (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILMarch 12, 2012
clean work place good family orinted fast passed work good hours