HYDRO-GEAR Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Assmbler (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJune 5, 2017
It's a stabile job there's not much interaction. It's a keep to your self type of job if your not into customer service then this job is great unlike me I like interacting with people making my job a fun place to go to not just a job
Pros
The pay rate it good
Cons
A loner Job
A lot of Team work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILApril 21, 2017
Everybody worked as a Team and acted as a family. They where really good with giving incentives to the workers for their hard work.Hours where also very good
Fun work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILFebruary 14, 2017
Good job assignment just ended love the staff safe environment recommended to all loved it never had problems good pay good support system good money
Alright Place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, KYFebruary 11, 2017
I gave it 4 stars because the management is so friendly, but the work is like a sentence to hard labour, I was only here a couple days, the reason I didn't come back is because it was disorganized and I had to ask what to do every 5 minutes, I like a job where I can go in and do my thing and leave, I don't want to ask what to do all the time like a child, but like I said the higher-ups were really cool. You have to stretch before you start I thought that was really goofy, I didn't do it because it made me feel like a moron.
Pros
Cons
Disorganized
Product Engineer
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILNovember 22, 2016
I learned a lot the lengthy time that I worked there.
In Product Development the task may include about anything. You see the product from birth to grave.
Upper Management (specifically the Sales & Apps management) is the worst I have ever seen anywhere.
large turn over rate
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, KYNovember 19, 2016
you stretch before work and at lunch to keep you limber. you are assigned a machine and are to keep track of your performance per hour and in between breaks to see if goals were being met. your co-workers will help until you get the hang of the machines at first after that it is up too you. the hard part is the repetitive lifting and the long work week if you are not use to the 7 days a week mandatory overtime during the seasonal times. they do give grill outs during the summer and buy food for those breaking the records times as well.
Pros
free meals, pay, and local so less drive time to work.
Cons
waiting forever to get hired on even after your 90 days, making goals to be met even with a small crew.
Fun place to work. Easy work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILNovember 8, 2016
This is very fun place to work and I learned the machines very quickly. Everyone was very nice and it went at a good pace. Would recommend to anyone looking for a job.
Everyone is new
Machining Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 30, 2016
New production workers turned loose on cnc equipment with little training. Machines crashed several times a week from misloaded parts or parts not even clamped. This is dangerous and scary, but accepted as normal. Makes life hard for manufacturing engineers who are lined- up and intimidated to explain to senior management. Quality department is there to assign blame, not to solve problems. Always crisis management with little opportunity to work on pro-active improvements. This could easily be a great place to work with a few changes, and if the right people were allowed to work without micromanagement.
Pros
Good bonus, nice clean air-conditioned shop
Cons
Too many new people, Not helpful to be micro-managed, No one got a cost of living raise for years.
Harsh working environment, but outstanding compensation benefits.
Machinist / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 7, 2016
During my employment here I developed specific skills and learn things that will allow me to function in many different types of working environments. This was not my ideal job, but the compensation at the time was sufficient.
assemble king
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working in a high fast environment. the management team was great, at getting us to work as a team, for continual flow of zero-turn transmissions fully assemble together.

Want to know more about HYDRO-GEAR?

Ask a question
Concerned about high turnover
Engineering applicant (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Although being well qualified, recommended, a spotless history, and well matched for the open positions I have never even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement of applying, even by recruiters. The same engineering positions are posted over and over. According to a former employee, there is high turnover in the engineering department and people do not stay. There must be some other problems there.
Easy work and enjoyable people
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Princeton, KYDecember 27, 2015
I go in everyday and help my team build transmissions. I've been able to wear many hats at HydroGear which was great for me since I enjoy learning so much. I couldn't ask for better co-workers; they always help the day go by quickly! The hardest part of the job would be just the monotonous work.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Very hard to advance
Machine operator
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILOctober 4, 2015
Maintain and run equipment safely and effectively. I produce and check the safety and quality of part that are made. My job has many good qualities such as their hour availability and their positive support staff.
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
n/a
A very productive and fast-paced work envirionment
Assembly Operator/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, IllinoisJuly 8, 2015
I was a mentor who trained new hires and made sure they knew their job tasks. I worked on a pretty standard assembly line. It was a very fast-paced environment.
Warehouse laborer
Machine operator observing Safety (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILDecember 28, 2014
Day consisted of operating multiple machines while it finishes drilling the hydro-static transmissions for lawn and garden equipment. Gained knowledge about transmissions and the capabilities with them. Management was structured well and followed procedures and operations accordingly. Co-workers were fairly kind and generous for the majority of the time. Hardest part of the job was Constantly standing on concrete for several work shifts and the loneliness while performing the duties assigned.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Low wage, rare advancement oppurtunities, and fair benifits.
Awesome Job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILSeptember 13, 2013
Was the cleanest place I've every worked and it was a factory, took the job a a break in career and was second nature the my mechanical nature. Was a temp assignment and enjoyed every moment and learned allot from the experience.
Daily job duties
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sullivan, ILApril 2, 2013
My typical day of work starts off with overseeing the loading and paperwork for our sister plant in Kentucky that they need for daily operation. Then it is off to customer orders and all the overseas shipments which require documentation. Daily BOL and invoice preperation along with loading the customers orders on trucks. Other daily duties include customer relations, computer data entry and load scheduling, tracking shipments and Receiving duties too.
I have learned a great deal about the logistics field during my tenure here, and I am ready to take on new responsibilities and learn more. I have the best co-workers around. We are like a family and all of them are really good people. The hardest part of my job would have to be the overseas orders. Various documentation for specific countries can be a challange, but I get it done. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I ship our products all over the world.
Pros
flexable work hours
Cons
short staff sometimes
Unclear goals, but a relaxed work atmosphere
CNC Production Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJanuary 25, 2013
Long hours and a lot of standing, but very productive.

I learned the manufacturing process from raw materials to final testing.

Day Shift managers seem to be more about work structure and collaboration.

My co-workers were a great group of people to work with.

The long hours of standing in one place.

Definitely, learning something new - nearly everyday.
Pros
learning new procedures and methods.
Cons
long hours of standing and short breaks.
Not a job to risk your health for
Assembly Operator 45-2 (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, ILJanuary 10, 2013
Terrible, terrible, terrible company! Basically, you're going to stand in a small, uncomfortable space by yourself or with one other person and assemble a lawn mower transmission. Eight hours a day. Five and six days a week. I learned that Hydro-Gear doesn't play fairly, they give misleading information to certain groups of employees, the company practices favortism and harassment religiously, the company's Supervisors and Supervisor Assistants know LESS about the assembly line than an employee with ONLY 2 months of experience does, an employee has to practically beg for more advanced training, the space available for parking is EXTREMELY insufficient (which only causes more stress and frustration), the absenteeism point system (occurences) is a pound and a half of bologna, the chance for advancement is slim to none, and the company's idea of a "clean and friendly work environment" is a bleached and sparkling restroom. My Supervisors were terrible. All of them. A majority of the time, they had NO IDEA what they were doing and had to have employees of much lower stature guide them through processes. About 90% of my co-workers were great, easy to work alongside, easy to please, concerned with the safety of everyone else and themselves, dedicated, and respectful. The other 10% of my co-workers, however, were awful. Entirely rude, misleading, judgemental, stressful, lazy, careless, disrespectful, kniving, nosey, unhelpful, unproductive, and too concernced with running off to the restrooms to talk on their cell phones. The job ITSELF was easy, boring, and repetitive. The most enjoyable  more... part of my job was coming home at night. A ten minute break and a twenty minute lunch period are just not enough to make up for the stress and weight you feel applied to your body during your shift.  less
Pros
some co-workers, high safety awareness
Cons
short breaks, supervisors, harassment, no room for advancement, insufficient parking, boring, repetitive
don't work here you will regret it!
assembly opperorator 2 (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, IlliniosNovember 28, 2012
A typical work day consists of standing on concreate floors in one spot putting on the same part all day every day. Not bad if you like repetition and boredom. The only thing I learned from this company is I will never work for another like it. The management is terrible. Supervisors will harrass you and put you down and give little to no compliments or incouragement on top of that they took away all the perks of working there. They are constently laying-off employees, but there are people who have been working there 10+ years and they barely make $12 an hour. So there is no job security and very little room for advancement. 90 percent of the employees act like immature bratty little teenage kids that are quick to insult and slander you. If you do have problems the HR department will do NOTHING in it's power to help you out. Hydo-Gear is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The hardest part of the job was putting with all of this on a daily basis, and most enjoyable part about the job was knowing that I got to go home at the end day. PLEASE, PLEASE don't work for this company you will regret it as I did. They will take you in chew you up and spit you out because they don't value their employees nor do they value the community of Sullivan, Illinois.
Pros
i can't think of any pros on why anyone would want to work there.
Cons
there's not enough space for the cons i can think of, bad place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HYDRO-GEAR. Our community is ready to answer.

HYDRO-GEAR Reviews by Location