A health care professional education organization is seeking an Editorial Associate with excellent grammar and editorial skills to work on materials for its medical journal and selected editorial projects. The Editorial Associate will oversee editorial policies and procedures for the editorial department, and train and supervise editorial department staff as necessary.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Produce educational materials for physicians with balanced content and a high level of editorial quality while meeting project deadlines.
- Correspond with authors, editorial board members, and peer reviewers, and manage peer review process.
- Assist in ongoing project evaluations and quality assurance measures.
- Manage project’s budget, including identifying and obtaining grant support
- Assist with the training and supervision of a small team of editorial and production staff and coordinate and manage freelance contributors, including graphic artists, medical writers, and transcriptionists.
- Work on, and manage, content and production of a bimonthly medical journal for physicians.
- Oversee copyrights and permissions for publication.
- Proofread and perform light copyediting of manuscripts for adherence to organization and style guidelines and to verify that editor’s and author’s corrections are incorporated at each stage.
- Proofread page layouts at each stage through final.
- Coordinate editorial submissions from staff.
- Perform proofreading and light copyediting as needed for projects such as new and updated online activities (from draft stages through online posting), resource cards, slides, and treatment guidelines papers.
- Prepare responses for permission requests and maintain permissions files.
- Proofread material copies for live Continuing Medical Education (CME) courses and do light editing as necessary.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DO NOT MEET THESE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
- BA or BS degree.
- Minimum of 4 years of editorial experience in a medical journal publishing environment.
- Understanding of CME, experience with biomedical content, and knowledge of AMA Manual of Style.
- Outstanding written English skills with detailed attention to accuracy of facts and documentation of sources.
- Computer experience in MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, and strong understanding of graphics software and print/mail processes.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, oftentimes under deadline pressures.
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills plus a strong attention to details and accuracy; ability to work with minimal supervision and complete scheduled tasks on time.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; must be able to communicate with respect and discretion with staff, vendors, and faculty of researchers and physicians.
- Ability to follow direction and motivated to learn organization procedures.
- Demonstrated interest and familiarity with the HIV/AIDS epidemic and other viral infections.
- Experience with fundraising and grant writing a plus
Annual salary range:
$50,000 - $60,000 DOE, plus full benefits including health, dental, vision, and retirement.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted via email and include "Editorial Associate" in subject line. PASTE ALL INFORMATION WITHIN THE BODY OF EMAIL; ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE OPENED. APPLICATIONS WITH ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. No calls please!
Applications MUST include the following:
1. Cover letter: 50 WORDS OR LESS about your qualifications and applicable experience
3. Minimum salary requirements
4. Minimum of 3 PROFESSIONAL references
The mission of the IAS-USA is to improve the treatment, care, and quality of life of persons with HIV or other viral infections through balanced, relevant, innovative, and state-of-the-art education for practitioners who are actively involved in medical care. Activities include a bimonthly biomedical journal, conference publicity and registration materials, online educational programs, treatment guidelines written by expert consensus panels, informational laminated pocket cards, and the organization's Web site. The office is located in the Financial District of San Francisco.