IBM
4,392 reviews

IBM Employer Reviews

IBM: Not you dad's company
Sales/ Marketing (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: politics, old school management mentality
IBM held a generational reputation for job security, guaranteed advancement, competitive compensation, and personal investment in the work/ life goals of their people. That was your dad's IBM, anyway.

Today, IBM has kept pace with their competitors by shifting over to majority contracted employees thereby allowing them ample room to bypass the company's – more... previous pillars of respect for the individual and career stability.

Working for IBM use to be a thing one would tout with pride. Today they are just another bully on the block. Having said this, they are fine to work for. Their culture is like many other Fortune 500s out there. Work for them. Make good money. Just don't expect to feel proud. Those days are behind us. – less
Pre-Professional Programmer (Former Employee), Rochester, MNSeptember 24, 2014
Smart and Intelligent People
Great Working Environment
Good People
Pilot program did not turn out well despite excellent management
Development Operations Engineer (Former Employee), Fishkill, NYSeptember 24, 2014
This was a job that was a pilot program for DB2 people with little to no experience. My manager was fantastic and did everything she could to help us learn and expand our skill set. However, the program was cut down for budget constraints before we could really get enough knowledge to advance our careers further.
12hr workplace
Computer Operator (Current Employee), RTP, NCSeptember 24, 2014
Monitoring servers and contacting supports for various accounts
A lot of multi-tasking
The greatest job I ever had
Deskside Team Lead (Former Employee), San Jose CASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: compensation & benefits
Cons: heavy work load at time. and sometimes not enough work to do.
Working for IBM I was part of the family. Every day brought new challanges and team work help us bring the best service possable to the end users. compensation and carrier advancement are there and and on line training is there. you just have to make the effort and your job is secure. Management reconizes your contributions to the company and your efforts – more... will be rewarded. – less
good place to work and gain experience
Consultant (Current Employee), SFOSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: flexibility, plenty of opportunities if flexible
Cons: nothing
good place to work and gain experience. Lot of technology related projects and good if you network across the organization.
Great Work/Life Balance!
Project Manager Education Delivery Support (Former Employee), Rochester, MNSeptember 23, 2014
Cons: no pay increase in 3 years
They actually push you to work from home which is nice. As long as you get your work done the hours you do it are up to you.
work environment
Operations Management Team Leader (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 23, 2014
Outstanding place to work, great team work. I spent my entire working career with IBM. I took an early retirement opportunity to travel with my wife.
Excellent Place to Work
Executive Project Manager/Senior Leader (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: respect for individual, stock options, advancement opportunities
I had 35 un-interrupted years working at IBM. I really enjoyed my work with IBM and was able to realize many high level opportunities while there.
A Great Company
Sr. Engineer / Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), C30September 22, 2014
Pros: opportunities to online education advancement
New Process development
Project management skill development
Lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Fast passed, high design demand
Software Product Designer (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2014
IBM Design is a global design initiative to change the way IBM builds products. This is a large culture shift that requires persistence and flexibility. On any given day you may work on one element of a product and on the other you may be helping another team kick off their product. Cross team collaboration is paramount to the success of a product and – more... this could mean hours on the phone, 10,000 post-it notes or design thinking workshops. – less
good
Logic Diagnostics Engineer (Former Employee), Hopewell Junction, NYSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: nothing
very challenging
teamwork
challenging task everyday
good compensation
IBM is awesome company
SOFTWARE TESTING SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Dublin, OHSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: good company culture
Cons: hires as consultant
I love the work culture and the management team is very helpful.
Above average benefits package
Backup Restore Specialist (Current Employee), Dubuque, IASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poorly documented procedures
IBM has very strict policies about disclosing internal policies and procedures. Therefore at this time I am not at liberty to discuss much of what is being asked.

The people I work with are a dedicated group of people. I really enjoy working with them.

The hardest part is working through the many procedural issues during the course of my day.

The – more... most enjoyable part is working in collaboration with my c0-workers. – less
Poor management
SAP Security Analyst / Team Lead (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2014
Management concerned with number of hours worked, not with individual success or career growth.
Not the company it used to be
Technical Program Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Big Blue has lost it's leading edge and innovation. Leaders have unispired vision for the direction for the business.
HOT 'Lanta
Document Programmer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2014
at the brink of PC - very organized work load and management. company had a very lucrative incentive program.
I enjoyed the comradery and team work to finish a difficult project.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKSeptember 18, 2014
When we began this project, we kept our heads down, while working six (6) 10 hour days. Management brought us lunch and snacks.

However, a typical day for me became one of researching payments, overpayments and coordinating with vendors to make corrections.

I learned to use Oracle11I as well as many other programs.

My manager was very informative, – more... helpful and encouraging.

All of my co-workers were hard working and cooperative.

The hardest part was at the beginning of the project. We had to work elbow to elbow on makeshift tables. This was because that we had to work in the clients building for a time.

It was enjoyable to contribute my analytical skills to unravel and correct our work. – less
Colloborative and challenging environment that provides you with the tools you need to succeed.
Alliance Management and Strategic Integration (Current Employee), Marlborough, MASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: free coffee, cereal, snacks, nice people, collaborative, challenging
Cons: simple tasks can be drawn out as it is such a large company
Typical day:
Communicate regularly with internal/external partners
Analyze data on sales information
Assist in the management of technical software certifications, online ecosystem development and expansion, and the on boarding of new ISV partners.

What I learned:
How to create and analyze sales information from database information.
Requirements and – more... procedures for back end processes within IBM
More experience both written and verbally communication with external partners as well as colleagues internally
Gained more of a technical knowledge on databases, data warehouses, big data and the IBM pure systems family.

Management:
My manager was excellent. She helped me become a more well rounded employee and person. Provided me with guidance and challenged me to learn on my own. Really great manager, and was a very pleasant person to be around outside of work as well.

Co- Workers:
Very collaborative work environment. Frequently shared ideas and knowledge with each other. Directly worked with people with more of a technical background so it was helpful for me to gain new knowledge from them. Nice people and easy to work with overall.

Hardest Part of my Job:
The hardest part of my job was to adjust to hearing/understanding all the technical terminology that I was faced with daily. Without a technical background prior to this role it took some time to adapt, but after gaining experience I would consider myself fairly well versed and knowledgeable on it now.

The most enjoyable part of the Job:
Flexibility. At IBM I had the option to work from home somewhat frequently. So if you have regular commitments IBM really provides you with the ability to work around your everyday life that may interfere normally. – less
IBM
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Washington DCSeptember 17, 2014
IBM has many opportunities to learn and to grow. Great place to work.

1 2 3 4 5

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more