IBM Employee Reviews

Found 5,061 reviews matching the search
Change Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2017
IBM was a wonderful company to work for.

My job was to hold meetings were all IT system changes were discussed. I would schedule the change, and coordinate between the IT specialists and the end user groups to ensure the planned changes in not adversely the work.
Pros
Training was encouraged and paid for by the company
Cons
The benefits were not as robust as other companies
good people
Semiconductor Mask Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYApril 22, 2017
I have had good experience at IBM. worked there for 15 years, during the good times

Good benefits, retirement, high technology, good people.
Great to place to work in the high tech environment
Pros
Good peope
Cons
at times high pressure
IBM was a good place to work with good benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILApril 21, 2017
I enjoyed my years working at IBM. It became very challenging once the work start moving to different countries. One good thing is I got a chance to visit countries I would never dream of vacationing.
Pros
free parking, profit driven bonuses, unlimited sick days.
Cons
fearing the time when your job maybe moved to a different country
job security and on-going training were very bad
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 21, 2017
company has no continuing training program and no process to backfill vacated positions. There is no longer consideration for assisting employees with placement within IBM when the employees current position is deleted from the company.

It seems that the company no longer is concerned with their employees welfare or well-being.

Not what you would expect from a global corporation that, at one time, prided themselves on loyalty to the employee and employee loyalty to the company,
Great technical people / low job security
Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 21, 2017
Incredible software developers and talented people work in software development. The opportunity for continuous learning is always present and part of the work.

Job security is very low and excellent people are often pushed out to keep the projects within budget.
Not stable company with history of layoffs
Cloud Engineer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 21, 2017
Not stable company with history of layoffs. Layoffs even in cloud positions not only Hardware. Their cloud offerings are not competitive with AWS and IBM loosing customers or at least not much new customers utilizing their services.
On another hand only Watson platform expanding.
Pros
Good compensation, flexible work
Cons
frequent Layoffs and re-org
L2 Network Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 21, 2017
I really miss working there. The team that I worked on was great and always assisting each other. I was there a little over 4 years. Definitely the wise choice to work there.
Great place to grow and get good experience
Sr Technical Specialist/Advisory Architect (Current Employee) –  NCApril 20, 2017
If you liked them:
- opportunity to travel
- benefits
- good reputation
Downsides .. performance based .. stressful culture. It was what you made of it.
You could be very successful, very isolated, and the company was so big you had a hard time finding your way around.
Remote Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 20, 2017
IBM is a decent place to work. You can be exposed to numerous technologies and be given the opportunity to grow your skills in those technologies. I would recommend others to work for IBM.
The sky's the limit
Sr Marketing & Communications Strategist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2017
The opportunities are limitless at IBM. With such a large company, your skill set is always being sharpened as you work across teams to get projects completed. You wear many hats and are exposed to a wealth of information to do your job well and move to positions throughout the company.
Good Job
IBM Contractor - HealthNet Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAApril 20, 2017
I was only here for a very short time as a contractor between jobs as a way to keep an income for a few months. However, I really enjoyed working there. I was an IBM contract employee that acted as an outsourced provider for HealthNET. I mainly did work for HealthNET, and supported their employees. I did participate in a weekly phone meeting with my IBM team, and so got to know a little of the culture of the company. I'm not sure I got the full experience of being an IBM'er, but what I did see was positive.
Good place to learn
Package Solution Consultant (Current Employee) –  USAApril 20, 2017
IBM is very good place to learn
IBM has a very good work culture
IBM management is always there for its subordinates
Learnt a lot from IBM
I started my career with IBM, and its a very good place for staters
good place to work
UNIX Middleware Engineer, CWME (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2017
I had worked as a sub-contractor for IBM. I was with IBMGS for 5 years. The work pressure on technical folks was ok. Managers were a bit caring for contractors also.
Overall IBM is a great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2017
IBM has opportunities for advancement and training. However the more education you have the better chances you have. For people that feel that their educational level has been met IBM is not the place.
Top Global Company with high ratings across the board
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 20, 2017
IBM has provided me the opportunity to develop excellent finance and management skills in global and geographic specific roles in North America and Latin America. A high performance high demand culture has honed my skills and educational opportunities has enhanced this effort. Workplace flexibility has provided excellent work/life balance and enhanced opportunity from current location.
Average technology company. Not what it used to be.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 20, 2017
IBM is a large technology company now with standard compensation and benefits. It provides opportunity for advancement in skilled R&D, but not much in other areas. Work/Life balance is still good, however that is steadily declining like many other personable benefits once enjoyed 10+ years ago. Positives include ample opportunity to gain skills and experience with latest technology, and in creating leading-edge technology and solutions.

Low-level management is, on average, very good, personable, and willing to work with you and make your work experience enjoyable. They're not given much resource (money, time, etc.) to make that happen, though, nor are they given money for travel and education needs for their employees. Employees are required to find free options either inside IBM or externally.

High-levels of management are, on average, decently prepared to share strategic vision and strategies. They tend to be overly resistant to delegate authority, so you have to get used to a fairly slow decision making process.

Building and facilities are average. Basic, traditional office spaces. Some are being upgraded with entertainment nooks (ping pong, lounges, TVs, etc.). IBM does not yet invest into health and wellness facilities, health care, or child care options - so don't look for those anywhere.
Pros
Experience with latest technology. Work/Life balance.
Cons
No entertainment dollars. No health and wellness facilities.
Meh
Watson Health Cloud Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2017
Is not bad nor great. The culture is of a company without identity, they are pretending to be a startup and is not working. There's a lack of vision and that's reflected on the constant layoff and quarter results.
Changing dynamics within the company.
Global Strategic Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2017
Once an employee centric company now a profit margin based company. High profile company laser focused on profitability and reduction of expense. It does provide exceptional employee education.
Pros
Teammates
Cons
Job security
Evolving to Business Needs
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJApril 19, 2017
Very quick to adapt for the changing business needs. Can't always improve bottom line by cutting resources, needs to find additional revenue for the existing engagements.
Job Security was there when initially hired, but that proved to be a lie.
Program Support Specialist and Business Planner (Former Employee) –  Multiple citiesApril 19, 2017
IBM went through many changes in the years I worked for them. I averaged a new manager every six months. Upper level management did not want to hear any bad news/truth and it seemed that all management cared about was their own careers and salary instead of their customers and employees. Culture used to be excellent but deteriorated over my employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.