IBM Employee Reviews

Found 5,549 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun workplace
DB2 Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 22, 2017
I was hired as an independent DB2 consultant, working in production support team, it's fun to work with staffs, share and learn from each other, as mentor to some staff as well.
NA HV Incentive Program Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Sugar Hill, GAJune 22, 2017
Managed program opportunities review for the Northeast territory. To reject an opportunity to partner is the hardest part of the job. To get a good results to approved any transactions for the partner is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Letters of appreciation of my work that I have received from my manager and my partners.
Technology Hub
Linux Systems Engineer/Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
Company has the high end technology to work with. Very grateful to get the opportunity to work for a Company like this. Amazing work and life balance, as well great exposure to new technologies
Great Partnership
Recruiter (IBM) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2017
We hired for the call center at IBM. The Manpower employees were very pleased to work on site at IBM. The company had multiple locations and provided multiple jobs to advance within the company.
Database maintance
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  PHJune 21, 2017
Was working at IBM/Business supporting Rion Tinto North America Data managenement. Receiving request from Human Resources through RTTMS then enter maintain the data on SAP. I appreciate the fact it helped me to improve my communication skills since We used to communicate frequently with the HR.
Great Place, great people good company
Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJune 21, 2017
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
You can't go wrong with IBM
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 21, 2017
I think despite all of the off-the-cuff criticisms IBM is one of the few remaining end-to-end technology companies. Sure they have had to adjust based on the changing business climate however, technology-wise, they seem to always bee in the right place. There is a difference however between good-technology and good-technology-as-a-business. That latter is IBM's challenge to figure out
I had a wonderful experience working here.
Contract PM, Transition and Transformation Team (Former Employee) –  Home Office - Farmington, NYJune 21, 2017
The team I was on was made up of great people who all knew how to get the job done.
Great manager support.
Learned how to work with very tight timelines.
Receive very little support from the customer.
Pros
Great people who know their jobs
Cons
Process gets in the way sometimes.
Great company once
Delivery Project Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
IBM was a really great place to work once but is now on the decline. The flexible workplace culture, workforce talent, intellectual capital and global exposure made it a great company to work for when I started my career. I have learnt a lot during my tenure here and been exposed to working for multiple Fortune 100 clients. However in recent times I feel there is a lack of clear direction from the top management on the future of the company which does not help the employee have a clear vision of the future and stay motivated.
Great benefits but job stability can be an issue
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 21, 2017
Great vacation and pay and pretty good health care, dental benefits. The company has been going through some downsizing over the last decade so job stability isn't what it used to be. Great flexibility on when and where you work (though co-location is now a new restriction - i.e. certain sites are strategic for certain businesses, so you might need to re-locate to those if you were remote).
Pros
Benefits, flexibilty, salary, vacation
Cons
job security
Good balance
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 21, 2017
The team was very easy to work with and willing to help. There was a good work and life balance and the work was very challenging and rewarding. Good growth potential.
Approved to work remotely with a global DBA group
Senior Sybase Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 21, 2017
Review daily maintenace for the database servers. New additional monitoring needed for database data and log space.Very cooperative and fair management. Always complimentry. Working from home allowed me interact with all types of people at all times of the day and learn from there support tasks and troubleshooting.Great using gotomeeting allowed full interaction world wide with entire group of 30 + on a daily/weekly basis.Coordination between the different geographical locations for scheduling tasks.Meeting people from all different cultures and backgrounds and know that we all can work as one unit when needed.
Pros
Not having to commute and being able to support from home all hours in a day
Cons
Not being in a one area where we can personally be together in one location.
Was great place when I started but of late the culture and direction have declined
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYJune 21, 2017
Company was a good place to work in the beginning, but declined as the company direction changed. Work was mostly remote, which was the best part, but it made it difficult to develop relationships with teammates.
Great place for those who need little direction
Certified SAP Applications Enablement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 20, 2017
It's not the IBM of old. Employees are self-directed and self-trained. Employees are told to certify before they gain any experience, which is backwards. It may be a good fit for some.
Pros
Great benefits! Unlimited learning potential
Cons
Pay, self-trained
Yet Another Pendulum Swing
Operations Manager (last position) (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYJune 20, 2017
I have 30+ years at IBM, and the company has been a great place to work. I am a second-generation IBMer. I've had the opportunity to learn a variety of skills and work for and with some great people. However, I have few regrets about leaving the company at this time. The push for 'co-location' (IBM-speak for going back to work in an office) is a great example of how, from time to time, we swing the pendulum too far to one side, in an attempt to accomplish a poorly-communicated and poorly-implemented goal. In this case, it is supposedly greater collaboration within teams. However, in my last job, the team I supported was located throughout the world - and we were not all going to be in the same location anyway, so what is the point? Many people believe this is a poorly-disguised attempt to reduce headcount in the US yet again, without having to call it a lay-off or make (minimal) severance payments.

So the lesson here is - go work at IBM to learn and work with some of the best people in the industry, but be prepared to jump when something better comes along, as it inevitably will. The grass will probably be greener.
Pros
Size allows internal mobility and learnbing new skills, cutting-edge technology, good lower-level management.
Cons
Poor communication from the top executives, too many layers of management, still too bureaucratic, 'one size fits all' approach to solving perceived problems.
Business Consultant
E-Business Strategy and Change Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2017
Worked with a team at the height of the DotCom era to engage financial companies. We helped them transition into the Internet space with the support of IBM Web Sphere and related tools.
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2017
A great place to work, but need to always keep striving to improve yourself and you will be promoted. The culture and people are very enjoyable, the technical aspects of the job is cutting edge.
Productive work enviroment
Transaction Mortgage Payoff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 20, 2017
At IBM it was important to be professional and polished. "My last position involved very little client and customer interaction. I have an extroverted personality and very strong customer service skills that would be utilized well in this position." "I enjoyed the sense of completion that comes from starting, tracking and completing a complex project. I enjoyed the work environment and IBM will allow you to work independently.
IBM aquisition transition
Project Executive (Current Employee) –  VirtualJune 20, 2017
It's been over a year since IBM announce the acquisition of the company I used to work with. I have been through many aquistion transitions in my career. This has been by far the worse. For a top IT company it's very disappointing.
Pros
I like my job
N/a
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2017
• Create contracts from internal documentation
• Track each contract for completion within internal systems
• Process adjustments on systems to ensure contracts are connect
• Notify management when contracts limits are in excess so corrective action can be taken
• Reconcile spreadsheet at month end for correct revenue

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval