IBM Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,976 reviews matching the search
IBM - No longer a special place to work
Service Delivery Manager Cross Tower Services (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 14, 2016
Since I joined IBM in 2000, the organization has progressed from a good place to work to just like any other organization - nothing special that would provide a compelling reason to work at IBM.

My coworkers are all excellent professionals. If you are not good at what you do, you will not be staying

Immediate mgmt is good, executive mgmt is less so

The hardest part of the job is virtually no work life balance

The most enjoyable part of the job is a sense of satisfaction at a job well done under normally very challenging circumstances
Pros
career paths - ability to move within the organization
Cons
Work life balance - job security - compensation
IBM Company and Culture Reivew
Information Technolgy (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYApril 4, 2016
My experiences with IBM are mixed, they have a great brand and I have worked for great managers, but over 15 years have had seven different ones.

The roles and goals are clearly defined, but room for advancement is at a minimum due to their business transformation.

The work culture there is great, and teamwork and cross team collaboration are essential and provide valuable learning experiences.

The hardest part of the job is working remotely every single day, it is not a good fit for myself, I really enjoy people interaction and a more balanced schedule of work at home 2 days and in the office 3 days is more appropriate.
Pros
Work from home, 401k, retirement, teamwork
Cons
Low pay, oncall
Big Blue is a sinking ship
Systems Service Represenitive (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 1, 2016
IBM looks fantastic on one's resume; however, it is not worth the difficultly to get the company on one's resume. IBM tends to pay approximately half of the going rate for employee saleries, they demand that employees be available to work 24/7, management is completely unresponsive and unconcerned about managing, the training is lackluster and not useful outside of IBM. Over all the company is falling apart at the seams and has been laying off employees world wide every year for the last several years. There is absolutely no job security.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no job security, no life/work balance, low pay
Stressful and no longer cares about employees
process improvement (Former Employee) –  VirtualJanuary 25, 2016
Today's IBM is not the original culture. Today is all based on bottom line, however management is short sighted, they consider only today's bottom line not tomorrow's. They no longer put effort into their employees morale and they no longer put effort into building last relationships with clients. Today's clients are yesterday's revenue, and today's employees are tomorrow's debts. This attitude and way of doing business will take down a once great company.
Pros
Peers are great, work from home environment allows a little work life balance
Cons
pay is low for the industry, Management has a "be thankful you have a job at all" attitude
AS400/Iseries callcenter support
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 6, 2016
Joined IBM in 1995 in the AS400 call center. Most of my career was working 3rd shift on site and from home. A typical day consisted of working with customers who were restoring systems or installing/upgrade. Learned how to work with anxious customers and take control. I did not see much management and did not interact with them much. Worked closely with co-workers for support on many different levels. The hardest part of the job was covering the vast amount of different call types. Finding help on certain type of calls was the hardest. The best part of the job was co-workers and the good interaction we seem to always have on issues.
Pros
Working with all types of customers, Good relations with co-workers, Job hours and days, Good benefits
Cons
Once we became global, Working with limited English speaking callers
Very laid back culture, to a fault
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Everyone I work with is very friendly and helpful, it was easy to slip into my role. There is not a lot of love for the company, many of the veterans have reasons to gripe about executives, management, and overall company vision. Management can be excruciatingly slow to communicate, projects aren't very ambitious, tons of corporate overhead in almost all aspects of work.
Pros
Flexible hours, ability to work remotely, great benefits
Cons
Very little reward for hard work, laziness goes unnoticed, no raise/bonus unless promoted
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2016
IBM was a great place to work. I learned a lot in the time I was there. I played a very important role as a Sales Support Professional which meant auditing and maintaining orders daily before they could be submitted. This was new and challenging but also rewarding. I worked as part of team of 25-30 people who were wonderful to work with and made my days pleasant. The hardest part of the job was cramming all the knowledge that was needed in a short amount of training time in order to get the job done correctly. Management was very fair, helpful and understanding.
Pros
Compensation, Acknowledgment, Professional Environment, Benefits
Can be a great place to work
Senior Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville FLMarch 26, 2016
This can be a great place to work. If a caring manager is in your project then it goes well. Unfortunately a lot of my co-workers are remote and scattered around the country. Great people to work with but forgotten about by management, the old out of sight out of mind syndrome.

It is a great place to learn the latest in technology and keep your skills fresh. But it is also a place where you are just another number on a spreadsheet. If one project goes away, very little effort is made to utilize your skills in another location. It is easier to start over and replace you than re-utilize your skills.

The company culture of care for the individual is a thing of the past.
Pros
Great place to pick up skills
Cons
Don't count of staying employed there
Great Company, but firing too many people in Brazil
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  BrazilFebruary 26, 2016
Great company, culture, benefits and many other professionals to help. On the last 2 years IBM Brazil is firing too many people due to Brazilian Crisis and on most cases I see no effort in trying to relocate them. They are only relocating seniors. I`v seen fathers with pregnant wife and kinds being fired. This is very bad for a company like IBM.
Pros
Benefits, Home Office
This is going to become Small Blue
Senior Staff, Pre-Sales Cloud Architect (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYMarch 4, 2016
The management is intent on getting rid of all of their Senior and skilled employees by lack of raises and ridiculous reviews. Any reason they can dream up, is another reason for not advancing.

As a Manager when you disagree with some critical decisions, you loose.
Pros
Used to be able to say lots of good people, not so many any more
Cons
Lack of Job Security
The best times of my life were spent working for IBM.
SYSTEM MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 16, 2016
I worked 12 hour nights. Wednesday - Friday and every other Saturday night. I processed data as an operator and systems analyst. At that time, we were upgrading to the ZOS operating system. There were IPL's every night including, of course, system outages over and up to 24 LPARS. Very high visibility. Management was supportive and allowed me to work without being micro-managed. It could be stressful but the end of problems and ultimate achievement provided the best feeling of success.
Pros
Travel, job security and excellent co-workers. Good management, excellent copensation.
Cons
None.
Think inside the box
Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 4, 2016
When you consider the expression 'think outside the box', IBM built that box and they live inside it. Decisions are top-down when they are done at all. There is little room for ingenuity and lower levels of management live and die by their superiors. Finger-pointing is very common as is passing responsibility. There is no team atmosphere and people are only told what is needed to maintain their jobs, and sometimes not even that much.
Pros
It is a big name and if you like remote work. Technical people are treated well.
Cons
No ingenuity, no originality, culture based on consistency not merit
Good !!
Senior Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calcutta, INApril 4, 2016
Work life balance is good. Good Learning opportunity. Great place to start your career. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact .
Administrative job made it possible to advance.
Administrative Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Typical handling customer orders and accounts receivable. Learned how to prioritize. Mgmt. was strict but fair. Co-workers were great. Enjoyed working with customers at their locations. Hardest was conforming to regulations, especially order control.
Pros
Good merit reviews gave good raises.
Cons
Management very strict.
Good work life balance, but poor benefits
SAP CRM Lead and Developer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 29, 2015
Big company, lot of resources for learning and good career growth, but poor benefits. Not employee friendly, purely manager driven with lot of middle management, which ruins everything..
Pros
Work from home, learning, resources etc.
Cons
No competitive compensation, no additional benefits, poor performance reviews, poor work culture, not employee friendly, manager driven
Great learning experience in a very professional environment.
Salesman in the Office Products Division (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 1, 2016
Learned a lot about technical sales and how direct sales worked in a very competitive environment. Learned how to prospect, listen to the customer and design your solutions to meet their needs and close the order. Learned how to cultivate a positive long term relationship with the customer. Learned how to produce under pressure, on quota with a territory I was responsible for.
Pros
Great products, great support for the Sales team and wide latitude to show positive results.
Cons
Upper management would change corporate direction frequently.
Not Worth It
Sr. Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  USADecember 12, 2015
The CEO lacks vision and intelligent thought. The corporate culture is not one of partnership, collaboration or trust; it is one of conflict and no care for doing the right thing.

For example, Wal-mart wanted to code before designing, saying they wanted an Agile approach, which to them meant no documentation -and with 75 developers in India.

IBM says do what the customer wants. I say this is so wrong, there is even a Dilbert cartoon that mocks it. So we begin coding and Wal-mart says they are not getting any value out of the folks in India. No kidding. It's my reputation, IBM's reputation... if this goes public, we are laughing stocks. But then I am not a team player, and IBM tells me to document everything so Wal-mart can't blame IBM.

IBM is no consulting company.

Here's another thought... Think of Microsoft and Apple products. Now think of IBM... IBM has over 60,000 software products, and no two have the same look and feel for the User Experience. Don't even get me started on Lotus Notes!

It's not worth working for a company that just doesn't get it.
Benefits
Cons
No leadership, no vision, no sincerity, no competency.
My ibm work
Developer, Lead Developer, Tech Lead and SME (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 25, 2016
IBM is good place to work, Work life is balanced. This is the place who don't worry compensation. Benefits are good. over all ins good company, Job Security is ok. Its not bad. Management and Job Culture is fine.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation
great place to co-op during your junior year of college
Co-op - Intrepid Math Coprocessor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 19, 2016
IBM allowed me to learn things about subjects I had not yet taken in school, provided a fun atmosphere for co-ops and there were many of us that socialized together after work. I went back to school after my 8 months there but later when I joined DEC after graduation, someone told me that IBM did not have the career advancement that DEC did, since DEC sometimes sent their employees full salary, full tuition, for further education to advance their careers, and one of my DEC co-workers said IBM did not have that. However, I never did get that benefit from DEC, and I had a very good time at IBM as a co-op, with fair pay, and was able to learn things I had not yet learned in school, in an atmosphere that was not lonely in any way--there was a great deal of support for co-ops.
Pros
fair pay, interesting work for a co-op
Cons
was not hiring when I graduated from college
Good for Work life balance
Senior SAP Basis Consultant (Current Employee) –  MolineMarch 11, 2016
Work life is easy given the employee is not forced to work at managers condition.
Management heavy organization and too many processes to get things done.
To excel at IBm GSB you have to be an extraordinary employee or else career growth will be at a stand still.