IBM Employee Reviews

Found 5,266 reviews matching the search
Management @ IBM
Sr. Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Fishkill, NYMay 25, 2017
The company over the past decade has been trying to reinvent itself but has not been able to turn a profit in 5 years plus. Lack of progress in turning company around has made it a stressful place to work.
Intern
Data Analyst, Intern (Former Employee) –  Somers, NYMay 24, 2017
I worked in the Agile workspace which was a different experience.
I came in at 9 and left at 5.30
The work environment is not stressful
The co employees are very helpful
Toxic work environment at a company in decline with clueless upper management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMay 24, 2017
Toxic work environment at a company in decline with clueless upper management. Strategic Initiatives which were supposed to set the company up for a great future are not working as planned. Legacy revenue is eroding due to lower cost competition. Future looks dim....
Ibm
Security Services Manager/Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2017
Up until recently it has been a solid place to work. Recently it seems there is no such thing as job security or loyalty. Our teams seem to not work as well together as in the past. People seem to get locked into their own world and are not willing to cross boundaries to be 1 IBM to our clients.
Role in an IBM software group
Information Developer (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 24, 2017
Work hours were flexible, but it all depends on your team and manager. I learned some new skills and was able to improve my resume during my short tenure at IBM. Layoffs are frequent, so I would not recommend to anyone looking for a stable career at one company. Good experience for a couple years, then look elsewhere for more stable prospects.
Pros
good pay, work/life balance
Cons
no job security
Horrible sales management practices
Cloud & Cognitive Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2017
Re-orgs every 6 months creates poor customer relationships and poor employee morale. CEO gave herself a $4M bonus the same week she laid off 10k employees.
Productive Work environment
Solution Architect and MDM Technical Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  NYMay 24, 2017
Productive Work environment. Work life balance, work from home, easy and quick reimbursement policies. Wide spectrum of products and capabilities from Big Data to Cloud to enterprise applications.
Ibm
Storage Engineer and IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed my 25 years at IBM.
I had the privilege to work on new storage products, disks and tape. The work was challenging and rewarding, there is not a better feeling announcing a new product for general availability.
Pros
working on the cutting edge of new technology
Cons
IBM resource action, laying off US (citizens) and keeping H1B employees.
A great place to leave
Solutions Architect/Client Advocate (Current Employee) –  Littleton, MAMay 24, 2017
IBM is a sinking ship. Get your skills updated and get out before you go down with the ship. IBM will be gone in 10 years so get out now while you can.
Pros
Cons
all
Empresa para todo tipo de pessoa
Analista Administrativo (Former Employee) –  Georgia Estados UnidosMay 24, 2017
Empresa multinacional, que trabalha com todos os tipos de raças, excelentes beneficios
Company is nice but not enough compensation
Accountant (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutMay 24, 2017
* Lots of meeting
* Lots of guidelines but given enough time to comeplete
* Many intelligent people who respect each others
* Pleasant to work with collegues
* Many superb managers trying to work with their underpaid staffs
Managment
Infrastructure Delivery Lead (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2017
Great for college graduate, and stable environment. Lot of different type work but don't provide new opportunities to existing experience professional. Very minimum training provided and expect you to learn everything on job. Forget about formal training.
This is a company in decline.
CLOUD ARCHITECT (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 23, 2017
C level execs do not care about their employees or any long term prospects for the company, only continuing their core competency of financial engineering.

Experienced, valuable employees who perform well and who are prized by their customers are let go, regularly, without regard for the impact on the client or remaining workers. Low level management is sympathetic, but powerless. Upper level management is profoundly indifferent to the impacts on morale and the erosion of capability.
Pros
Pockets of interesting work
Cons
no bonuses, almost no raises in last 5 years, extreme pressure, lack of resources
Very diverse work group
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2017
The people in the company are a lot of fun to work with. You work with a very wide range of people from customers, VPs, sales, etc. I got to work with a lot of people from a lot of different groups which is a great way to see the business.

You get moved around a lot and other are moved. I had more than 5 managers in one year and I am not the only one I know to have the same experience.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You get moved around a lot
Productive and fun workplace
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2017
You get to work among some of the most intelligent and smart people. Great work life balance. Learned a great deal about incorporating big data technologies.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee, tea
Cons
Compensation structure
productive, friendly, and good place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 23, 2017
I was a temporary worker, picking and packing warehouse orders. It was a great experience, and workers had lots of benefits. People were highly valued at this IBM campus.
Project Manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2017
Negative work culture and difficultly communicating with upper management. They are constantly doing lay-offs which creates a bad work environment. Almost all employees are now remote.
Good Work Environment and Benefits
Technical Enablement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2017
Most roles allow you to be flexible and work from anywhere. Management is good in the weeds, but upper management makes poor decisions based on lack of patience and letting initiatives run their course. Many decisions made to please shareholders in the short term, but long term investments are lacking. Good benefits packages.
IBM - Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 23, 2017
Very cyclical job roles. Nearly nothing to do during the middle two weeks of each and every month. Good first role in a finance position. IBM feels too big to make impactful decisions.
Cannot Think of Anything Positive
Business Analyst/Test Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 23, 2017
I like to stay positive most of the time, but it is difficult when trying to describe my time at the Application Delivery Center for IBM.

Almost all of the people I knew personally who worked there when I did are no longer there. They bring you in as a very low-paid long-term contract employee with no scheduled raises or advancement opportunities, and you are not guaranteed a position afterward.

Management is clueless and they couldn't have picked me out of a crowd. The workplace atmosphere is just as bad. You have a small table for a desk and they are lined up in row upon row. There is zero privacy in an already overcrowded office space. IBM has a 96% utilization policy which essentially means you have to work overtime to make up for your vacations. A lot of overtime. You are scolded if you do not bring your laptop with you on vacation so you can work and answer email.

The only benefit I can think of is that you get to put IBM on your resume which seems to carry some weight.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, very poor workplace atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.