IBM Employee Reviews

Found 5,575 reviews matching the search
Good company
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 28, 2017
Great work life balance. Unique culture. Don't agree with management practices. Lot of uncertainty with how the company is performing in today's market. Lot's of resource actions occurring across company.
Not your Father's IBM
Cloud Architect (Current Employee) –  RTPJune 28, 2017
This organization has changed substantially from the days of old. Very disappointing organizational leadership and structure for how to move forward in this new Cloud era.
Pros
Brand awareness
Cons
Too many to name
A dying department with a great company
Resiliency Services Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 28, 2017
The Resiliency Services department is not receiving the support it should. However, the Management and staff are exemplary. The level of customer support remains steady. Their recent investment in an overseas company shows a willingness to resuscitate the disaster recovery business.
Great place to grow and learn, not so great job stability
Information Developer (Current Employee) –  Littleton, MAJune 28, 2017
I was a college hire without much experience in the industry. IBM not only taught me DITA and allowed me to familiarize myself with the tools, they allowed me to branch out and try different types of writing. I was not only writing documentation, but also web content and marketing. There is definitely an opportunity here for entry level writers.

A constant problem at IBM though, is the loss of talent. Knowledge experts were laid off every year to outsourcing or contractors. Losing them would often cause a breakdown in communication that would result in deadlines slipping. Got to be VERY stressful at times.
Pros
Room to grow and learn, great benefits.
Cons
Uncertainity in your employment.
This was a long time ago!
Network Support/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 27, 2017
Different category of business. Rating relative to what I do now would be not fair. It is a big world-wide business with proven track record. Great place in that regard.
Good company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 27, 2017
The job required too much travel but it was all interesting work with decent products. I liked many of the IBM team members I worked with and everyone had genuine interest in doing right for our customers.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Too much travel
Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
Data Science Junior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 27, 2017
A huge company that operates in sheer chaos, rules are made up on the fly when needed, no real management but lots of people walking around with the title.
Pros
Benefits are good if you're single without kids
Cons
Lack of direction
Security and education
Sales Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 27, 2017
Fortune 500 companies have their plusses and minuses like any other company. IBM overall was a great company to work for. IBM was very big on training and were constantly hosting formal and informal education sessions. Good benefits, and as much security as you can expect from any job these days.
Fun place to work
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 27, 2017
IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact
Great for experience but low compensation
Application Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 27, 2017
IBM Client innovation center is a great place for entry level to get experience on different projects. But the only downside is that the compensation is below industry standard.
Pros
Work from home part of the week
Cons
Low compensation, Sometimes the projects are too simple for your experience
Review
Senior Advisory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 26, 2017
Work starts at 8 and ends at 5:30, but will have meeting after that.
IBM is a good company to work with.
Work culture is good,
innovation is the enjoying part
Family oriented, very stable, many resources
Sr. Client Executive (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 26, 2017
A typical day at work would be in my home office working on relationship management activities and client appointments. Occasional drop ins at the local office to collaborate with team mates and management. Learned a very structured "Consultative Selling" method starting with 3 weeks of education / training at IBM Learning Academy.
Pros
Work from home, managed own time, Flexibility, Comradery, ability to change career paths within a global corporation
Cons
Global Corporation Yearly Business Direction did not always meet our market needs
Great Workplace
Country Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  PakistanJune 26, 2017
1. it was very fast paced
2. improved my time management
3. my manager was a great mentor
4. work life balance was really emphasized there
5. there were too many resources to learn and get educated
6. most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing colleagues i worked with
Challenging, very busy, multi-tasking and wonderful polish professionals
Complex Opportunity Bid Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 26, 2017
My typical day at work might be putting out fires, addressing emails, sametime instant messages, on a conference call with peers/mgmt., and sending a text message to a Client Representation. Multi-tasking is the key to a successful business. My peers are such wonderful professionals and my mgmt. team supports and encourages new ways of doing business in a Agile process. The most enjoyable part of my job and winning a proposal/bid.
Pros
Long standing service with the company
Cons
Reswizzle of roles and responsibilities and creating a new work model for the business
Go in as high as you can
System Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAJune 26, 2017
Once you are in IBM you will be asked to be oncall 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Make sure to get as high a salary as possible. Come review time, they will claim poor mouth or not address a raise at all.
Pros
Well known world wide company
Cons
The structure is very complicated now, You will most likely work from home, You have to know how to network with people, very easy to be overlooked
Very interesting place to work however, constant issues making revenue numbers have created an environment of ongoing resource reductions.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYJune 26, 2017
I worked with extremely bright, talented co-workers and the business and technology was always interesting. Unfortunately, the company has lost it's way in finding new ways to replace declining revenue streams in their traditional businesses (hardware, software, services). They have missed several paradigm shifts in the industry and have been playing catch up (cloud services is the most recent example) for many years. The financial results reported over a fair amount of time have been the result of selling off of lines of business, selling real estate, layoffs and reducing the cost of labor by moving jobs to offshore locations. Revenue has been flat or down for many, many quarters.

As a place to work, it was great most of the time. Very knowledgeable employees, I learned a great deal, and there were great education/training tools available for those that wanted to take advantage of them. Benefits were good but like everywhere else, more of the health care coverage costs were being shifted to the employee. Work/life balance depended on what job role you were in. Due to the declining revenue issues, all parts of the business were affected by the need to do more with less (meaning fewer workers, more work). By far the worst area I ever worked in was Finance. Really long hours and a constant maniacal drive to cut cost and expense year after year.

Overall, a good place to get a start for young college graduates. I am no longer confident one will be able to make a long term career there. There are just as good, if not better options now for tech minded graduates. I think
  more... IBM is well on it's way to becoming a niche player in technology. They will still be fairly big, however, they will no longer be the behemoth they were in their heyday.  less
Pros
Great co-workers, opportunities to learn and expand knowledge
Cons
Frequent downsizing
Lacks Market
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 26, 2017
Typical consulting company - not trying to compete with the bigger outfits but rather take their 'scraps' that they don't want. Too many retired feds in BD roles that they're simply not equipped to be in and be successful.
Great Company
Vendor Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 25, 2017
This company has amazing people who work very hard to help them be successful. The company makes decisions that can sometimes make it difficult to work with their channel partners.
work for ibm ended in 2012
Program Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYJune 24, 2017
I worked for IBM/Lexmark/IBM for a total of 43 years...both are great companies....I loved the fact that they allowed me to advance my education and advance my technical skills.
Pros
educational and advancement opportunities for a single mother
Fun Place
SQL Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2017
It was pleasure to be part of with IBM employment. The most enjoyable part of the job was to execute store procedure day to day business. However, workplace culture was great atmosphere with diverse culture.,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.