IBM Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,058 reviews matching the search
IBM - No longer a special place to work
Service Delivery Manager Cross Tower Services (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 14, 2016
Since I joined IBM in 2000, the organization has progressed from a good place to work to just like any other organization - nothing special that would provide a compelling reason to work at IBM.

My coworkers are all excellent professionals. If you are not good at what you do, you will not be staying

Immediate mgmt is good, executive mgmt is less so

The hardest part of the job is virtually no work life balance

The most enjoyable part of the job is a sense of satisfaction at a job well done under normally very challenging circumstances
Pros
career paths - ability to move within the organization
Cons
Work life balance - job security - compensation
IBM Company and Culture Reivew
Information Technolgy (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYApril 4, 2016
My experiences with IBM are mixed, they have a great brand and I have worked for great managers, but over 15 years have had seven different ones.

The roles and goals are clearly defined, but room for advancement is at a minimum due to their business transformation.

The work culture there is great, and teamwork and cross team collaboration are essential and provide valuable learning experiences.

The hardest part of the job is working remotely every single day, it is not a good fit for myself, I really enjoy people interaction and a more balanced schedule of work at home 2 days and in the office 3 days is more appropriate.
Pros
Work from home, 401k, retirement, teamwork
Cons
Low pay, oncall
Big Blue is a sinking ship
Systems Service Represenitive (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 1, 2016
IBM looks fantastic on one's resume; however, it is not worth the difficultly to get the company on one's resume. IBM tends to pay approximately half of the going rate for employee saleries, they demand that employees be available to work 24/7, management is completely unresponsive and unconcerned about managing, the training is lackluster and not useful outside of IBM. Over all the company is falling apart at the seams and has been laying off employees world wide every year for the last several years. There is absolutely no job security.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no job security, no life/work balance, low pay
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2016
IBM was a great place to work. I learned a lot in the time I was there. I played a very important role as a Sales Support Professional which meant auditing and maintaining orders daily before they could be submitted. This was new and challenging but also rewarding. I worked as part of team of 25-30 people who were wonderful to work with and made my days pleasant. The hardest part of the job was cramming all the knowledge that was needed in a short amount of training time in order to get the job done correctly. Management was very fair, helpful and understanding.
Pros
Compensation, Acknowledgment, Professional Environment, Benefits
AS400/Iseries callcenter support
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 6, 2016
Joined IBM in 1995 in the AS400 call center. Most of my career was working 3rd shift on site and from home. A typical day consisted of working with customers who were restoring systems or installing/upgrade. Learned how to work with anxious customers and take control. I did not see much management and did not interact with them much. Worked closely with co-workers for support on many different levels. The hardest part of the job was covering the vast amount of different call types. Finding help on certain type of calls was the hardest. The best part of the job was co-workers and the good interaction we seem to always have on issues.
Pros
Working with all types of customers, Good relations with co-workers, Job hours and days, Good benefits
Cons
Once we became global, Working with limited English speaking callers
Very laid back culture, to a fault
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Everyone I work with is very friendly and helpful, it was easy to slip into my role. There is not a lot of love for the company, many of the veterans have reasons to gripe about executives, management, and overall company vision. Management can be excruciatingly slow to communicate, projects aren't very ambitious, tons of corporate overhead in almost all aspects of work.
Pros
Flexible hours, ability to work remotely, great benefits
Cons
Very little reward for hard work, laziness goes unnoticed, no raise/bonus unless promoted
great place to co-op during your junior year of college
Co-op - Intrepid Math Coprocessor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 19, 2016
IBM allowed me to learn things about subjects I had not yet taken in school, provided a fun atmosphere for co-ops and there were many of us that socialized together after work. I went back to school after my 8 months there but later when I joined DEC after graduation, someone told me that IBM did not have the career advancement that DEC did, since DEC sometimes sent their employees full salary, full tuition, for further education to advance their careers, and one of my DEC co-workers said IBM did not have that. However, I never did get that benefit from DEC, and I had a very good time at IBM as a co-op, with fair pay, and was able to learn things I had not yet learned in school, in an atmosphere that was not lonely in any way--there was a great deal of support for co-ops.
Pros
fair pay, interesting work for a co-op
Cons
was not hiring when I graduated from college
IBM Software dev
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  austinMarch 24, 2016
Good starting salary. Management is clueless and working with other team especially ones from purchased companies is difficult if not impossible cough cough softlayer. Deadlines and requirements are constantly changing. Lay offs happen roughly once a year in the spring. Bonus are nonexistant. 200 pretax with a pbc 2 at band 6.
Work here for two-three years and jump ship
Pros
good starting salary
Cons
constant layoffs, terrible management, tiny bonus
Not very kind with Scedules but great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 24, 2016
I actually worked through a Contracting company call CCI (Career Connections Inc). IBM contracts out to CCI and Kelly services, however we're semi IBM employees with some benefits. The atmosphere however is very...you'll be gone in a few months anyways I don't care. It's sad because they don't work to great with scheduling and tend to leave it to CCI which, they don't really work with you at all on it and tend to just push you aside.
Pros
Depending on who you work for you get that companys benefits
Cons
Schedules are rough and not really well planned out
This is going to become Small Blue
Senior Staff, Pre-Sales Cloud Architect (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYMarch 4, 2016
The management is intent on getting rid of all of their Senior and skilled employees by lack of raises and ridiculous reviews. Any reason they can dream up, is another reason for not advancing.

As a Manager when you disagree with some critical decisions, you loose.
Pros
Used to be able to say lots of good people, not so many any more
Cons
Lack of Job Security
Great Company, but firing too many people in Brazil
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  BrazilFebruary 26, 2016
Great company, culture, benefits and many other professionals to help. On the last 2 years IBM Brazil is firing too many people due to Brazilian Crisis and on most cases I see no effort in trying to relocate them. They are only relocating seniors. I`v seen fathers with pregnant wife and kinds being fired. This is very bad for a company like IBM.
Pros
Benefits, Home Office
IBM, A challenging workplace with lots of opportunity to learn and apply skills learnt in a multitasking environment.
Travel & Entertainment Auditor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day starts with multiple phone messages and email questions from employees nationwide requiring immediate answers to questions relating to Travel expense reports. Many questions require researching expense reports. Employees' American Express statements have to be looked at and reconciled with there Concur account.
Constant Reference to Company Policy regarding Travel and Entertainment is required to insure company funds are not misused. Timely communication with employee is a must as it can affect travel and expenses related to travel.
Accurate and timely application of payments is also crucial as it can affect credit and late fees.
Pros
The opportunity to learn new skills.
Cons
Compensation was cut when IBM took over but never adjusted back inspite of promises to do so.
Administrative job made it possible to advance.
Administrative Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Typical handling customer orders and accounts receivable. Learned how to prioritize. Mgmt. was strict but fair. Co-workers were great. Enjoyed working with customers at their locations. Hardest was conforming to regulations, especially order control.
Pros
Good merit reviews gave good raises.
Cons
Management very strict.
Overall, excellent benefits, excellent management, and above average work environments
it specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2015
IBM allows your work locations to be remotely based which is an excellent advantage, one which I took for eight years.
A typical day in my work environment could include: software maintenance - installs and support; problem resolution; change management; technical support for various issues or projects; and security management.
The management and co-workers were exceptional, especially at the most difficult times during an issue.
Troubleshooting a technical problem, performing technical work - upgrading software, system build, full system upgrades were the most enjoyable portion of my experiences.
The hardest portion of this job was the level of administration tasks that IBM requires. In many cases, these menial administrative tasks prevented and/or delayed many of the technical related tasks I have listed above.
Pros
Benefits, Workplace Environments, Management
Cons
Administrative work requirements at times prevent completion of other important work
My task's at IBM
Mainframe Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2016
IBM was a great company to work for. I was assigned to the State of Tennessee account as a Mainframe Computer Operator with a one (1) year contract. I worked the second shift from 07:00 p.m. until 07:30 a.m. on Tuesday through Saturday with every other Saturday off. My manager and co-workers were great and always there when you needed them. The hardest part of my job would have been doing my own time for the hours I worked. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work from home.
Pros
The pay and the benifits.
Cons
having no one to cover for me for vacations. Getting laid off after one year.
Good place
Developer API Management / Datapower Gateway (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 18, 2016
Great place to work full of some of the best minds around. Work life balance can be hard to maintain at times. They are trying to change to keep up in the market so whole teams can get moved at a moments notice but the work is always new and exciting.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
work life balance
Not Worth It
Sr. Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  USADecember 12, 2015
The CEO lacks vision and intelligent thought. The corporate culture is not one of partnership, collaboration or trust; it is one of conflict and no care for doing the right thing.

For example, Wal-mart wanted to code before designing, saying they wanted an Agile approach, which to them meant no documentation -and with 75 developers in India.

IBM says do what the customer wants. I say this is so wrong, there is even a Dilbert cartoon that mocks it. So we begin coding and Wal-mart says they are not getting any value out of the folks in India. No kidding. It's my reputation, IBM's reputation... if this goes public, we are laughing stocks. But then I am not a team player, and IBM tells me to document everything so Wal-mart can't blame IBM.

IBM is no consulting company.

Here's another thought... Think of Microsoft and Apple products. Now think of IBM... IBM has over 60,000 software products, and no two have the same look and feel for the User Experience. Don't even get me started on Lotus Notes!

It's not worth working for a company that just doesn't get it.
Benefits
Cons
No leadership, no vision, no sincerity, no competency.
Not what it used to be...
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 11, 2015
There are areas in IBM that are still doing really great work, leading the IT industry into new and very exciting territory. The area in which I work is not one of those-- many brands and divisions in IBM are suffering from significant understaffing, resulting in poor quality of work and drop in employee morale. Too many jobs have been shipped to low cost countries and this pattern continues, leaving those of us who remain in a constant state of worry that no matter how great a job we do and how much of a contribution we make, our job may just disappear anyway. The benefits are not up to industry standard and there's no incentive to remain with the company since they all but eliminated most of the loyalty perks like pension and stock options.
Fast paced professional environment
Unix System Administrator/Security Focal (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 14, 2016
Excellent professional environment with good benefits.
IT support staff and system administrators typically work many nights and weekends.
Required to work with offshore personnel to support the customer
Pros
Professional work environment
Cons
Lots of night and weekend support required.
Good work life balance, but poor benefits
SAP CRM Lead and Developer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 29, 2015
Big company, lot of resources for learning and good career growth, but poor benefits. Not employee friendly, purely manager driven with lot of middle management, which ruins everything..
Pros
Work from home, learning, resources etc.
Cons
No competitive compensation, no additional benefits, poor performance reviews, poor work culture, not employee friendly, manager driven