IBM Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Lack of job security - Most work sent overseas
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 19, 2017
IBM does not value it's employees. Frequent lay-offs several times per year. First level manager's have no say in what their departments needs for resources. Most work sent overseas
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Most work sent overseas - lack of job security or advancement
IBM's philosophy is REINVENT
Offering Manager (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 19, 2017
By definition this means, "change (something) so much that it appears to be entirely new." I suppose the marketing folks at IBM have picked an appropriate word, since this happens at IBM just about every quarter. Teams are rearranged and shuffled, product direction changes, even logos and tag lines can change.
Pros
Compensation outpaces the industry
Cons
Just about everything else
IBM has changed to a not so likable company
Revenue Growth Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2017
My initial 16 years working at IBM were very rewarding and I assumed I would be an employee for life. However, I was let go in 1994 due to massive company restructuring. I returned to IBM in 2000 but it was not the same company any longer. My second time with IBM was not rewarding at all.
benefits
Cons
compensation
Solid and steady company but undergoing a long transformation to stay essential
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  MASeptember 19, 2017
Overall, a good company with highly professional managers to work for. I have learned a tremendous amount about all aspect of my specific function area, domestic / international business, and people management.
An amazing place to work
Manager - Quality, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 19, 2017
Started in 1977 on the assemble line but soon moved into a management position. Remained with IBM until 1998 when they announced they would be closing the Charlotte area plant.
Pros
Great Place to work, only pros!
Relaxed and Friendly Environment
Contracted as Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
The managers were varied, so some were great and others were horrible. But, the overall environment was friendly and open. There was constant support for phone and service report agents. Advancement was possible, and managers were nice for the most part.
Great place to be!
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 18, 2017
IBM is a great place to work! You can put forth a great signature experience to your clients all while working in a great environment with great benefits and compensation.
Manufacturing was not my ideal
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTSeptember 18, 2017
Not a big fan of the manufacturing environment. People you work with are typically willing and most positions are laid back. Engineers are really helpful.
It's a great and easy job
DS Management Service (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 18, 2017
My day start at 7 we found out what line we will work today ,i learned how to work every line in the building the people i work with are very nice the hard part of the job was when i first started and had to learn everything the most enjoyable part is at the end of the day when it's time to clock out
Pros
they feed us
Cons
It's to far away
Fast paced and challenging place to work.
Technical Services Professional Advisory (Former Employee) –  Southbury, CTSeptember 18, 2017
Fast paced but plenty of opportunity. Chance to gain a wide skillset by being involved in many projects. Many chances to enhance skills from other IBMers.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Many late nights.
Very poor and unfair management approaches
Information Technology Architect Member (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 18, 2017
back in 2001 Very poor and unfair management no Job Work/Life Balance forget about Job Security/Advancement Compensation/Benefits ist ok Job Security/Advancement can be better in many ways
Collocation
Sr. Worldwide Marketing Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 18, 2017
I would continue employment with IBM however due to collocation and not having the option to move to one of the designated cities many employees like myself are required to find alternate organizations to work for.
benefits
Cons
collocation
Competitive and Evolving Culture
Project Executive, Healthcare and Distribution (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJSeptember 18, 2017
I spent more than 30 years at IBM and developed a very broad skill set in Finance and Sales. This experiences are invaluable as I move forward to my next set of opportunities.
Great first job out of college.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Owego, NYSeptember 18, 2017
Great people to work with at IBM Owego. The job was good but the advancement was somewhat limited. The location was a small town and was somewhat boring for a young man like me at the time.
oh dear god no
Level II Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 18, 2017
I can't even tell you about the hordes of people I've personally known and met over the years that all had horror stories to tell from their experience at this place. IBM was nothing more than a tech support megastructure that housed a thousand people with an unbelievable turnover rate. You had to be in your seat 3 minutes before your start minute- down to the second. Your computer has to be powered on and logged into windows. Your programs all have to be running at your start minute. If you find yourself logging in before you're ready to take calls, you're penalized. If you log in one minute over your start time, you're penalized. 3 offenses equals termination. 3...2...1... Back to Indeed...
Pros
Free water at the water fountain
Cons
pressure from the top down, and you can see the stress on everyone's face at all times.
Customer service
Delinquent Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 17, 2017
Nice company, good benifits, advancement available, positive feedback, great overall company. Nice staff, friendly co workers, easy overall job. Customer can take some use getting to understand
Technical Support
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 17, 2017
A typical day included logging on to multiple applications to assist with troubleshooting technical issues pertaining to IBM's Risc 6000 hardware and software. I was able determine the failure by sending different diagnostic tests and most of the time corrected the issue. Many times I would have to mail a piece of hardware and ask the customer to call back so I could assist him with the installation and test. I was able to use my knowledge of UNIX. Everyone was highly intelligent and kind. Management was cooperative and kind.
Pros
Great learning environment
Telecommuting was great
Escalations Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 17, 2017
IBM would allow us to rate our manager on a yearly basis; that was called the Executive Interview....and that was a big plus
I also enjoyed the life-work balance...health benefits were also good
IBM is a good company
AUTOMATED TESTER (Current Employee) –  Rocket Center, WVSeptember 17, 2017
I started working at IBM right out of college and they worked with me as far as advancement when I went from a Service Desk Analyst to an Automated Tester. There were issues I had with the progression in my career from there and that is why I am seeking employment elsewhere, but the people are nice and the benefits are on par with most large IT companies. The worst part about working in the division I worked in at IBM was that it was 100% contract based work. I was not laid-off when any certain contract ended, but it felt like I was getting a new job once a year without any further compensation form the company.
Not your father's IBM
STG Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 17, 2017
Horrifically mismanaged company floundering to achieve one thing and one thing alone; shareholder value at any and all costs.

Minimal to no investment in technology and alliance building.

An executive attitude of 'We're IBM, were better than anyone'.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management and corporate vibe - a 'sinking ship'

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.