IBM Employee Reviews

contract
Senior COBOL Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 17, 2017
this was a great place to work that had good benefits from a contractor poitn of view. They gave me holidays and the work life balance was acceptable.
IBM is real stingy with raises and bonuses
Staff Software Engineer/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 17, 2017
IBM comes up with more excuses not to give raises than any company I've worked for, except for manager raises, they always seem to have money for them. Bonuses too, don't plan on getting any.
Ok place to start out of college or someone very experience
IT SAP Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 17, 2017
Is a great start in your career needs more organization. I started with three horrible managers last manager was ok but didn't seem to be helpful. Your career is in your hands have all the training necessary to be successful.
Started out great, went downhill
Tech Specialist - Inspection/Diffusion Area (Former Employee) –  East Fishkill, NYNovember 17, 2017
Again, AWS schedule with 12 hour shifts. I learned a lot with IBM. Started working first as a screener tech and then was moved to inspection tech within my first year in their ceramic substrate facility. In my seventh year I was moved to their diffusion sector as they were closing down the ceramic production do to technology advancements. In the inspection arena I learned Orbot, Avit, Midas and XY Inspection table systems. Within the diffusion sector I lerned Epitaxily, Rapid Thermal Processes, and Laser Anneal systems. Also helped in Metals/Insulators and Plating. Within my first 7 years I had a rotating assortment of managers. As CEO's changed so did the culture. At my fifth year with the company they started changing. First I lost my pension and was given a 401k plan. Then they took our AWS premium away. Hardest part of the job was being pulled to work in too many area's without proper training (Plating, Metals, Insulators). They best part of the job was the techs and operators on the floor.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Removal of compensations
Unrealistic Expectations
Senior Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 17, 2017
Our division was bought wholesale, and were told that things would not change. But then a couple months into the transition we were given unachievable deadlines for migration goals and our organization has now been split up and no longer exists.
The people were good to work with
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2017
This was an entry level job. The training was good for the job duties that I was given. It was a fast paced environment. I was eager to learn and willing to take on additional tasks.
Pros
Able to learn many things.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Transitioning from customer focus to product focus
Analytics and Information Management Rep. (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 16, 2017
Dramatic change occurring at IBM. While there is more emphasis on innovative technology, there is decreasing emphasis on forming relationships with clients. If you instinctively build relationships with clients, IBM is not the place for you, as relationships have been de-emphasized in favor of technology and products. Nor will you be in your role long enough for clients to trust you.
Pros
Truly innovative technology.
Cons
Habitual lack of commitment to customer relationships
work from home is good option here
Senior Application Programmer (Mainframe) (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 16, 2017
work and personal life is not balanced.
poor management
gives good salary
no leave

provides work from home............................................
Pros
work from home
Cons
poor management
Great Place to work
Sr. Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2017
I worked here for 27yrs, I worked with great people and enjoyed each day there. Mgmt was always aware of what was happening and assisted me when I needed time off for personal reasons. Hands down a great place to work in the yrs listed.
Pros
All Good things
Great work place when I was there. Team environment
TX. Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 16, 2017
Great work place culture. Employee friendly. It was an enjoyable place to work. They made you feel as though you were important. Fun activities at holidays. Educational opportunities and career advancement.
For the self-motivated
Global Academic Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
If you are looking for a place to tell you what needs to be done for your job, this is not the place for you. If you are eager to learn and to take advantage of learning opportunities, then this is perfect.
Pros
Flexible schedule and work location
Cons
40 hours/week is almost never attainable, more like 60
Some are "luckier" than others
Delinquent Accounts Mgr (Former Employee) –  NCNovember 16, 2017
Depending on who your Team Lead was, you might have felt like it was the best place in the world to work. I was not lucky enough to get such a Team Lead or I would still be there, possibly as a permanent employee by this point.
Pros
Great pay and hours
Cons
Too much office drama
The job was great, the company not so much
Managing IT strategy consultant (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYNovember 16, 2017
I really enjoyed working with IBMers. We would parachute into a client site, identify the pain points, analyze the problem, and form a solution that meets all the business, functional and organizational requirements. It was satisfying, plus I got to travel and work with deeply intelligent and focused people.

But we were managed by full-on psychopaths who didn't see us as people and considered it an intrusion if they were asked to solve a simple problem or even provide air cover. They were all just playing a cutthroat game of Chutes & Ladders.
Pros
meaningful work, travel, top-notch coworkers
Cons
Bosses who'd slit your throat if there was a promotion in it for them.
Worked from home.
Lead Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2017
Always wanted to work for IBM. The job was challenging and stressful for some people but I took it as an opportunity to up my game. Since my position was outsourced by IBM I was contracted to complete the transition to IBM. My experience would define me as a generalist meaning I wear multiple hats. However, IBM insisted I work as a computer operator as defined by IBM. This was probably the hardest thing to do.
Pros
Worked from home.
Cons
Long hours.
the transformation isn't working
Manager (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYNovember 15, 2017
too many new people that don't know how the company works; too many people with longevity that have forgotten how to work hard and effectively on the right things.
Workplace culture depends on your division and/or team.
Program Manager, Product Development (Former Employee) –  New EnglandNovember 15, 2017
I was in some great divisions that had unity and great work ethic, strong management and interesting product development goals. Recently I was in a division that was ill conceived and poorly managed without any leadership other than imported overpaid, ego maniacs from other doomed tech companies.
IBM Work review
Downstream Gas Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 15, 2017
Wouldn't work for the "cognitive process services" at the site in Tulsa as they only have one client left after summer of 2018. Outlook not good for business processing outsourcing with IBM.
i did not work for ibm
Senior Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 15, 2017
The only contact i have had with ibm was joint venture working together while on the job site. they were helpful, professional and courteous and thorough.
A quick look into the world of game development groups
Storyboard Artist (Former Employee) –  Waxhaw, NCNovember 15, 2017
I would be contacted periodically throughout the week via phone to discuss with the other team members what is going to be worked on this week and the following week, then I'd be instructed to do a certain task in that time frame and email them my progress. I've worked in other game development projects but this one felt at least somewhat official with me getting paid for my logged hours.

It was easy enough to be able to work at my own pace and receive feedback in order to improve my own skills and get exactly what they desired. The only thing that was undesirable was the phone group conversations that were difficult to hear clearly at times.
Pros
Work at my own pace, decent pay, good opportunity
Cons
Inconvenient group conversations
IBM was a great place to work in the early part of my career.
ADVANCED TECHNICAL SPECIALIST, / EPI UNIT PROCESS (Former Employee) –  East Fishkill, NYNovember 15, 2017
The focus was always on the people first and then the products, which made the workplace very desirable. As time moved on the workplace changed to where the bottom line was the most important factor. This changed the climate and the culture. Healthcare benefits were decreased and cost was increased. Pensions were no longer available for the employees. The hardest part of the job was making an adjustment to the new management style. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on state of the art products. Working on things that no one else had a clue that even existed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.