IBM
5,294 reviews

IBM Employer Reviews

Innovation is a daily process
Sr. IT Consultant - Test Management (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: you can work independently
Cons: need to add additional hours to a day
The amount of technology available is awesome. Working independently is nice when you can manage all your activities without getting consistent approval.

There are so many technologies to learn its like going to a candy store.
Good Environment to Learn
Project Manager, Global Technology Services (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: you can travel the world
Cons: can work long hours and weekends
IBM is a good place to lean how a fortune 500 company runs, operates and handles large client accounts and working with the best engineers.
An excellent place to begin your career.
Senior Instructional Designer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits. work from home or remote.
Cons: utilization seems to be the metric that trumps all other metrics.
I started with IBM in 1996, with the intent of staying only five years. Now, it's 2015, and I've been with them close to 20 years. In that time, I've learned how to work in multiple industries, and can research, design, develop, and deliver blended learning to a variety of audiences. I have experience with classroom, online, self-paced, virtual, and mobile delivery of content.

I work with formal delivery through the use of an LMS, as well as many informal methods, including social learning and mentoring.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of clients I supported. Each client required me to adapt to their learning culture. As a result, I have become quite flexible. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Productive work place
Systems Technician (Former Employee), Endicott, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Cons: they take over a company then release people a year later
Typical work day was resolving issues for customer with pc's, desktops and warehouse equipment.

Replacing equipment in the warehouses for productivity
good place
Onsite CRM Lead/Architect (Current Employee), NewarkFebruary 18, 2015
a typical day would include 9 hours of hard work.
learned how to work in the client env.
Management is good.
Co Workers are supportive.
no Compensation benefits.
Great work environment and colleagues
CSO (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2015
As Accounts Receivable Rep during this time period, I worked on special projects like aged items or specific types of billing to drive the daily sales outstanding numbers down. Collection activity per Accounts Receivable Guidelines conducted within the monthly schedule activities.
good place to work
IBM (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Continue career opportunities that utilize my abilities as a business advisor. this role has large impact of IBM bottom line.
I was a consultant and there was a hiring freeze.
Consultant (Former Employee), North Castle, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it was a very profitable company.
Cons: employment was not guaranteed due to change.
The company was going through changes from a manufacturing to consulting company. This caused many layoffs of manufacturing employees. It was a very unstable time period.
Good Salary, Benefits, Flexible Schedule. Very Large & Impersonal
Sales Specialist, System z Servers (Mainframe) (Former Employee), MinneapolisFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: top management
It can be very financially rewarding and has a very virtual flexible approach. But it is very large with a top heavy bureaucracy.
Not what it used to be
Manager (Current Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it's a job
Cons: decreasing employee benefits, low job security, mind numbing bureaucracy
Anybody who follows IBM knows it is a shell of it's former self. It is a company that treats employees as liabilities instead of assets. It is now run by executives who want to squeeze every dollar out of the employees to improve the value of their stock options.
IBM is a good company to work
Distribution Systems Tower Lead (Current Employee), Lincolnshire, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good pay and 401k
Cons: contract position
Great company to work for, good pay, learned a lot and very helpful co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is great location for lunches.
Good
IT Architect/Technical Lead for CA-MMIS (Current Employee), CAFebruary 18, 2015
Working in a good govt xcompany.
Working in a govt. company. Good deal of work .
Making good money.
I am v experienced.
 Overall 7+ years of experience in US staffing for Permanent Placements and Contractual positions
 Good understanding of business requirements
 Experience of searching a candidates through job portals, referrals and internal database
 Extensive worked on different job portals such as Dice.com, Monster.com and Naukri.com
 Sound knowledge of different Tax terms of US (W2,1099,Corp-Corp)
 Familiar with US time zones
 Successfully hired professionals for many positions including Sr. Software Engineers, Quality Analysts, DBAs, Architects and Administrators, etc
 Aware of latest trends in technology
 Knowledge of H1b filing and transfer
Interesting and Diverse workplace
SSR Site Focal (Desktop Support) (Former Employee), Wichita, KSFebruary 18, 2015
I was outsourced to IBM through a sourcing contract at my previous employer. After 9 years the corporate environment was such that force reductions were necessary and I was laid off.

A typical day included any and all of the following: hands-on troubleshooting of desktop and laptop computers; installation and/or replacement of machines; remote troubleshooting and installation of similar computers; fielding questions and concerns of fellow workers on my team; dispatching of work tickets and workload balancing on the team; data entry and report generation; trend analysis of team performance; coaching and training of subcontractors and supplemental employees; project coordination and management.

It was enjoyable for the most part, but like all IT jobs, it was generally either feast or famine; long stretches of slow work punctuated by short stretches of intense activity.
All around new Learning experience
LINUX - Support Analyst Specialist (Former Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: learning totally new systems and applications
Cons: staying to resolve issues from your shift after working 12 hours
Had fun learning and tried to absorb everything as quickly as possible. Had good experience learning curve with Linux and some other new applications in the short time with IBM. Everything at IBM it was new and not ever exposed previously. You always had work when you would arrive and sometimes crazy busy. Management was different style and for the most part they were busy with there work so I had to learn on my own most things. The co-workers were very helpful when you had questions and steered you in the right direction. The hardest part was getting familiar where everything was on your Laptop they are in so many different locations. I enjoy learning new things and trying to get the best possible results. I get excited and reward myself by feeling good when I accomplish things on my own.
Life at IBM
WW Synergy Sales Leader (Former Employee), AnyplaceFebruary 16, 2015
I am a career IBM'er. Best part of being in IBM is the people I have the chance to work with on a daily basis, as well as the clients we have the privilege of working with and for.
Worst employer in my entire life time
DSR (Current Employee), San Ramon, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: a mediocre pay check
Cons: everything about the organization
Demanding and expecting everything with no gratitude or cost of living increases for over 9 years of employment. No lunch or breaks and guaranteed to work 8-10 hours a day with no OT. Any OT has to be pre-authorized well in advance. If you have a family and are a dedicated parent, you do not want to be working for this company.
Great if you are a full time employee
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: contract
Great if you are a full time employee, but it is hard to get a full time position at IBM. Most of the places are call centers and contracted employees.
Recieved a good deal of experience.
SRFE (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: i was there before the current down sizing of the field force and learned much of what i know today.
Cons: company driven to get extremely high profit margins at the expense of the support personel.
No longer a good company to work for. I would not work there again unless I had no choice, The drive from management is to drive out the high salaried employees and, replace with younger less expensive replacements. This causes a loss of experience and the one that suffers is the customer in the long run.
Good work life balance
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
I work from home, so I don't have the hassle of a daily commute. I fire up the laptop every morning and start my day from there. Team leads and managers are usually very supportive and try to help you succeed as much as possible.
Good Company.Not a good paymaster
Technical Lead (Mainframe) (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: good work culture
Cons: bad compensation.
IBM India Pvt Ltd - work environment depends on the project being worked upon but mostly good. Co-operative seniors.However, they need to revamp the compensation area.

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more