IBM

IBM Employee Reviews

Found 2,839 reviews matching the search
Active work place.
Onsite Technician (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJanuary 20, 2016
A wonderful place to work. Fast paced, easy going, and understanding of the dynamics of my job. Working onsite for JNJ at their Mentor location was a great place.
The worst I've ever seen...
Sr. Project Manager/Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 20, 2016
They will kill your health and family life. This company is not what it once was. Don't go to work for them!

Even the cafeteria is bad.
Good work culture
Dot Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 19, 2016
I have learnt and enjoyed working in IBM, having great time during the working days. My managers and leads helped me to work on top project.
great place to co-op during your junior year of college
Co-op - Intrepid Math Coprocessor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 19, 2016
IBM allowed me to learn things about subjects I had not yet taken in school, provided a fun atmosphere for co-ops and there were many of us that socialized together after work. I went back to school after my 8 months there but later when I joined DEC after graduation, someone told me that IBM did not have the career advancement that DEC did, since DEC sometimes sent their employees full salary, full tuition, for further education to advance their careers, and one of my DEC co-workers said IBM did not have that. However, I never did get that benefit from DEC, and I had a very good time at IBM as a co-op, with fair pay, and was able to learn things I had not yet learned in school, in an atmosphere that was not lonely in any way--there was a great deal of support for co-ops.
Pros
fair pay, interesting work for a co-op
Cons
was not hiring when I graduated from college
It have it's moments
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 18, 2016
Biggest issue is being placed on projects that does not corresponds with your career goal. Placed where needed.

Love the opportunities to travel.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Overbearing manager that makes the workplace dreadful.
Great place to work for. I enjoyed my coworkers and the work enviornment
Customer Service Reperesentative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2016
Receive call via computer that the initial appointment between customer and repair serviceman as been missed. Call the repairman to see what the new target time of arrival will be see if it is within the 4 hour window of appointment. If it is going to be longer then I escalate the call by calling the field manager apprising him of the situation and see if he can shift assignments or drive the repairman to meet the required appointment time. if the issue not resolved then I escalate it further using conflict resolution to ensure customer satisfaction.
Pros
Positive work enviornment
Cons
temporary assignment
Good company to work for
Pre-Professional Programmer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Good work life balance and compensation and benefits. Coworkers were helpful and management was easy to get a hold of and talk to.
IBM, A challenging workplace with lots of opportunity to learn and apply skills learnt in a multitasking environment.
Travel & Entertainment Auditor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day starts with multiple phone messages and email questions from employees nationwide requiring immediate answers to questions relating to Travel expense reports. Many questions require researching expense reports. Employees' American Express statements have to be looked at and reconciled with there Concur account.
Constant Reference to Company Policy regarding Travel and Entertainment is required to insure company funds are not misused. Timely communication with employee is a must as it can affect travel and expenses related to travel.
Accurate and timely application of payments is also crucial as it can affect credit and late fees.
Pros
The opportunity to learn new skills.
Cons
Compensation was cut when IBM took over but never adjusted back inspite of promises to do so.
Good company, but shrinking in the US
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2016
IBM is a good company to work for in general. Benefits are above average, and there are opportunities for advancement. However, the company is significantly cutting its US-based workforce and restricting benefits, salary increases, etc.
Pros
Good benefits, stable company, quality people.
Cons
Lack of US opportunities
Hardest part of the job
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 17, 2016
Pressure of continuous innovation.
Performance evaluation require bell curve.
Good processes for ensuring quality work.
A mixed bag of management...
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 17, 2016
My wife and I both worked for IBM for 18 and 11 years respectively.

My wife worked in finance and her worst manager was decent. The only real complaint I can raise is that one manager demanded she stay late for a meeting and later canceled said meeting without informing my wife (keeping both of us late since we carpooled). We finally had to call to find out it was canceled as much as an hour after the meeting time. This is the ONLY incident I know of, for her, in the 18 years she was in finance with the company.

Me? My managers were either very good, or quite bad.

Example: I was given an award and the man who put me in for the award called to congratulate me and revealed that he put me in for said award (he'd been working for IBM 30+ years at the time so had some ways of knowing things he should not have, like my award went through). My manager stopped by just after he'd called and told me that IBM had changed their awards policies and thus it was not possible to give out many small awards, only singleton large awards. My award was actually meant for the team, would I mind signing it over to him?

This basically took any joy or pride in the award away from me. It was patently wrong, if not illegal. I scared him away by talking about tax implications and I suspect that he had no way to work around that so backed off. I DID share my award with my team by buying them gifts that year (it was very near Christmas time).

Another manager was known for choosing an employee and making his/her time at IBM so miserable, they would quit. She chose me at one point.
  more... During this (brief) time frame, another employee who'd shifted to another manager came back to work for her and this employees hands were literally shaking at the thought of working for my manager. She indeed rode me, nitpicking every detail she could. When I finally made a mistake (who wouldn't when pressured enough), she wrote me up on 13 accounts. Every single one of the 13 problems she brought up was wrong! It was niggling details in which she was wrong (wrong company in one case, but correct error). My second line was 'ashamed that I was quibbling'. My take is that if you are going to crater a career, you had better be correct when you bring forth the charges. The fact that she made mistakes on ALL of them should reflect.

These are just two examples of the poor management that I have experienced at IBM. Note that my experience was galvanically split between fantastic managers and very poor ones. In fairness I should list a few 'good' examples but, they are of the nature of taking great care of employees on day to day basis (giving us time off during down periods, clear direction in job, etc) so it is a wee difficult to list examples.
Pros
Excellent compensation!
Cons
Very mixed management and cronyism
IBM is fantastic organization
Remote Technical Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Memphis/AtlantaJanuary 17, 2016
Great culture if you can thrive in a fast paced high pressure environment then you will really enjoy working with IBM.
In order to compete in a global economy the company is mandated to drive hard in order to ensure they are competitive. This is the nature of the beast in a services oriented organization. IBM is in a constant state of re engineering itself by constantly evolving its processes and goals in response to the market in order to meet it's customers needs.

Its been around a long time by making change a core foundation of its business model.
Good place to work people is always willing to help and a lot of courses availablee
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buenos Aires, BJanuary 17, 2016
Good place to work people is always willing to help and there is always a ton of courses available that helps improving and becoming a better professional in your area
Pros
Good Ambient
Good Place to Intern
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2016
I was able to learn a lot of finance related things that helped me in my job. It is kind of a dying company though. It was mostly a work from home environment, which can be hard if you are just starting out your career.
A good place for the new starter.
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  C30January 14, 2016
If you wanna learn something, the company self-training system is willing to offer you anything. There are professional teachers, enough teaching deck, also active environment to practice.
Pros
Free afternoon tea.
Cons
Breaks during work. good healthcare.
Oversee operations and financial stability
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Managed up to 60 million dollars worth of inventory. Had to audit and review all inventory management transactions along with systematic history reports. Established strategic guidelines for employees to use for tracking and managing their projects inventory levels. Coordinated monthly audits with our manufacturing and warehouse locations for security and safety key points of interest. Evaluate financial strategy planning and verify it's authenticity. Work directly with 2nd and 3rd line management teams to ensure projects remain within the budget guidelines.
High stress job
Site Fire Marshal/Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 13, 2016
There was never a 'typical day' every day brought new challenges, which I liked. The management was not always the best. My co-workers were great and a lot of fun to work with. I had a good team that worked for me and we always got a lot done in a day. The hardest part of the job was the management team. The job was very stressful as I had a budget of $ 4 million and was responsible for all fire/life safety equipment as well as the 60 security officers. I was expected to stay within or below my budget every year which at times was pretty tough seeing we needed to supply security officers for special events which created overtime. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers and staff as well as the challenges that came up every day.
Pros
Work challenges to stay within budget
Cons
Sometime short staffed do to sickness and or vacations
Atmosphere
Data Scientist (Former Employee) –  ParisJanuary 13, 2016
It was enjoyable to go to work. My collegues were warm and welcoming. The work was satisfying and I learnt a lot during my intersnhip there. Good company.
Some great people to work with
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoyed my coworkers and management. I learned about what system administrator work is and how it differs from software development.
Great learning environment because everything is always evolving
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
I like working at IBM but find that I work very long work weeks. The number of things expected of you as an employee is enormous and yet so much of it is interesting. The unfortunate part is that you sometimes get lost in your work because you love it and forget to have a life.
Pros
Interesting work, smart coworkers
Cons
long hours, always more to do