IBM Employee Reviews

productive data entry and various jobs
Data Entry and Word Processing (Former Employee), Springfield, VAAugust 14, 2015
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: little change in schedule, same daily routine
A typical day at work consisted of entering data in the data systems based on the phone conversations that are part of the daily job requirements.
I learned about the various jobs that were involved in the project.
My coworkers were uplifting and fun to be around.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the every three month parties that were held as celebration as well as a break from the everyday work routine.
IBM PM's have more flexibility when working remotely.
PROGRAM/PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2015
Provide and/or review project status reports internally with Project Management team or Business Client daily. Continuous meeting occur approx 80% of time while 15% revolves around reporting them. Within projects, we have a better understanding of various products and services the client proposes. IBM culture revolves around matrix management. Management consists of Service Delivery (Operations) and Project Management (Projects). Project Management team is very team oriented. One of the most difficult challenges is to gather alignment from support teams all over the world, whether it's for meetings (different time zones), or teams complaining about support concerns, resource constraints. The best part of this job is to close out projects on scheduled and within budget. Also, the flexibility working remotely allows teams to have more time daily to support our client.
Senior management must enforce coporate wide restructering policies, but moving in right direction.
Associate Project Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, MOAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Local Columbia ofc new facilities great, management working hard to team build within
Cons: Still enforcing old IBM software use, very limited Microsoft product use.
Company going corporate wide re-structioning, not all divisions and management jumping on board. Makes for very tough working conditions.
No pressure to move up but poor leadership
Data Conversion Lead (Current Employee), Philadelphia PAAugust 14, 2015
Not as much pressure to move up like competitors such as Accenture but also poor leadership. As a consultant the company was doing too many other lines of work.
Great Workplace and Great people.
Business System Analyst (BSA) (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAAugust 13, 2015
It is a great company to work for.It is a big giant and one has ample opportunities to grow. Management is pretty good. I have always had manager who are good mentors.
Proper work-life balance.
Excellent peers with a lot of knowledge!
Software Optimization Analyst (Current Employee), Home officeAugust 13, 2015
The workers are the best part of the job! Tons of remote employees which is great for work/life balance. Too many jobs leaving the US though.
Good place to start your career in technology
Desktop Support/ System Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2015
Great place to start your career but dont expect to stay long. You are nothing but a number. A small cog in the big clock. NO advancement. (This is from an IBM contractor)
Good place to work to develop skills
Data Center Ops Analyst Team Lead (Current Employee), Reston, VAAugust 12, 2015
Good place to work to develop new skills. Workplace environment is flexible. Work from home option. Management is very interactive with their employees.
Working remote can be challanging
Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Working on the outside of the normal constraints without the political judgement ie CEO supervisor's
Cons: Layoffs are frequent and at times it’s not what you know, but who you know.
The career field can be both rewarding and challenging at the same time. For the project I worked on, it was a new experience for IBM. To top it all off it was a sensitive project so at times specifics on the project could not be made public due to national security. I learned to improvise my telephone meetings with vague information until counterpart at IBM could get a high enough clearance. The environment was what you made of it, meaning being open minded is key to success. The managers put in place do try to help as much as possible. At times it can be hard to express the importance of the project success to individual's that have never worked on a project with the military. The most rewarding part of the job was making deadlines and meeting the customers full requirements and scope. My direct coworkers were great because it was a young group that had little experience as a SME (subject matter expert) I was able to mold the talent as I needed. I personally learned a lot about meticulous leadership and to let the team explain their updates, and I learned it was easier to work with someone then for them.
Interesting company to work for
Marketing Development & Insight Intern (Former Employee), Armonk, NYAugust 12, 2015
Pros: long lunches, can work from home
Cons: advancement is slow, company culture
The work-life balance is great and no micromanaging, Management could be better. There seems to be a lot of stuff going on but nothing getting done. I enjoyed my working with my colleagues.
Morale is low
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 12, 2015
Environment is in constant churn. Job insecurity is prevalent. Co-workers are excellent, but upper management sees people purely as resources, not as individuals.
Team
Business Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work, i would walk in and sit at my desk, review items that need to be done urgently and then talk to co workers to see what we need to do. Love the team, the people, the atmosphere
Was once a great place to work for.
Unix Team Lead (Former Employee), Columbia, MOAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Generous vacation time
Cons: Too many to list.
IBM has a culture, as of late, of not worrying about its customers nor their own workers. The management and executives do not seem to appreciate the work being done. Promotions and upward mobility are , in most cases, non existent except at the Band 10 or higher level. Bands 4-7 are considered "expendable" whenever the stock prices drive downward, or when the financial reports are not favorable.

Resource actions have become the norm for HR. No one working at IBM feels safe anymore. Most workers are actually relieved once they leave IBM, however that may occur. The environment simply is not conducive to being a productive workplace.
Fantastic Corporate Exposure not attractive compensation
Business Analyst IT - SxC HealthCare (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Work From Home
Cons: Career Grwoth
In job difficult to understand the overall perspective as enough freedom is given because of the conventional structure.
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst Co-Op (Former Employee), Somers, NYAugust 10, 2015
The experience as a co-op was okay at IBM. I enjoyed the challenge but there weren't much senior management level facing exposure and the culture is very remote.
Worked very hard, 25 yrs. went by fast.
Line Director lead (Former Employee), roch. mn. and san jose, caAugust 10, 2015
Pros: lot's of free food, parties after working very hard.
Cons: Had to put gowns on and take off alot.
We had 45,000 workers total in the 1990's, got down to only 10 people at the end and I was still there. Ibm sent all manufacturing to oversea's but I worked with engineers develoe new products.
Great work atmosphere at a great company.
IT/Engineer Lead Recruiter/Consulatant (Current Employee), Dearborn, MIAugust 10, 2015
Good place to learn corporate human resource experience along with efficient teamwork. A place where comradery and hard work go hand in hand.
Best job I've ever had
Senior Designer (Former Employee), Endicott, NYAugust 10, 2015
A great place to work with great benefits. Very challenging but they promoted the people that went the extra mile. Economic down turn forced closing.
Productive and fun place to work for
Lead Managing Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Work life balance is good
Cons: Long distance and commute
All consultants are very friendly and collaborative , project's are readily available in my area of work at all times. Client is always first and care for consultants is very high
Great place to work.
Solution Architect/Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 9, 2015
You must take initiative to take on additional responsibilities. You must expose yourself to different kinds of skills in order to grow in your career. Their raises were better than some of the other companies.
Headquarters