IBM Employee Reviews

Great place to start
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LADecember 6, 2017
It's an excellent place to start your career or begin a new one. Managers do their best to get you involved quickly and from the get go. Compensation is drastically below market value and working in the consulting branch, the technologies involved on are not up to date. Plenty of learning opportunities however EVERYTHING is individually driven. If you want a raise, you need to push for it, if you want to go into a new assignment, on you. Progress is very slow and consistent pushing for new or relevant work is taxing and stressful.
Pros
lot's of learning, excellent place to build skills.
Cons
Compensation is severely under market for the amount of work. Work life balance is non existent.
Great workplace with many benefits
Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYDecember 6, 2017
I loved working for IBM over 20 years. They are a great company with a professional work environment, wonderful people, good benefits and many external programs.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, people
Cons
Budget restrictions
Good
Program Manager, External Global Account (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 5, 2017
Good place to work to learn.
Long hours, and stress full.
Job likely to be outsourced offshore.
Good benefits.
Able to work remote.
Too much work, and reduced staff.
Very nice place to work at
Disaster Recovery Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 5, 2017
Not much to really say as I was a contractor, but they were very nice and friendly there. No stress, no annoyances. Very scenic area to go to and they allowed people to work from home.
We had great team meetings daily, and most people were friendly. We had a culture week and learned about other counties and how they live.
Service Request Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 5, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at IBM. I learned a great deal about working with the customer, and gained a lot of knowledge about computers. I enjoyed work as a team member creating solid relationships with them. We learned a lot about each other and how to solve problems. I enjoyed working with all cultures of people and learning how to work with them.
Pros
We could come and go as needed
Cons
The work load was extreme most of the time but I was never bored.
Great staff, but poor management
Sr. Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 5, 2017
The time I was working there I got totals of six managers, and managers without any idea about the job, so it was not direction we could get from managers. It is very importatn to have a manager who is well knoeledge in the area, so the staff could go to.
Pros
Poor Managers skills
Cons
IBM not what it used to be back in the day ... struggling company now
Desktop Support/Queue Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 4, 2017
IBM is not what it used to be .... on a contract assignment at IBM and their budget is so busted that no one can work even an hour of overtime. Never worked in such a stringent environment with no option to work OT or even make up 40 hours when its a short work week. Poor management added to this and I would never want to work directly for IBM.
Were not Prepared
Service Desk, Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 4, 2017
IBM was not prepared on taking care of there client with employees when they took over Anthem. They don't' have the necessary Knowledge on how to fix problems or where to direct them. They haven't improved and its been over 3 months.
Good introduction to business on a world scale
Accounting Internship (Former Employee) –  Somers, NYDecember 4, 2017
I did a six month internship here that extended to nine months my final semester in college. I learned a great deal about how business is conducted on world scale.
Good Name bad managment
Sr. Security Architect (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 4, 2017
- Really bad culture ( only in the US)
- lack of integration especially for minorities
- No HR to speak to unless you are high in the ranks
- No performance checkpoint ( Fake)
- Coaching and mentoring is a meth at this company
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
bad management, no training, no coaching, no perfermence review.
Android development was great, results may vary
Android Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 4, 2017
I was given a ton of a control over my project which I absolutely loved. I worked with two other interns in a corner office and it was a ton of fun. I know that other interns got pretty garbage projects to work on though, one of which didn't do anything and still got paid. So, results may vary.
Working from home could be attractive but you will lose your future if you stay too long
Project Lead / System Analyst /System Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2017
IBM never offer promotion, there is no job security, they fired my friend who worked for 35 years in IBM in a week.Working from home is only good part
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Management, Job Security, No Promotion, Benefits, Not working internal IBM webpages, Unfair work environment
They know how to take a successful startup and kill it in five years
Support Analytics & Knowledge Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, MADecember 4, 2017
I loved my job, loved my company, worked very hard for success of our clients. Then IBM came along, they only care about the stock holders, clients and employees come last. If you can get away from IBM prior to them determining your role can be done cheaper overseas then run do not walk.
Huge Company with many challenges
Technical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Remote, NJDecember 4, 2017
The culture, pay and benefits are excellent. The company has been shrinking for several years now and that may continue for the foreseeable future. I was hired into a new group and then downsized out of my job after only 20 months.
Pros
Pay, discounts
Cons
Decreasing revenues
Critique of IBM
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 3, 2017
I enjoyed the fact that there was never a dull moment. We were constantly working under extreme pressure and we were constantly learning new techniques. The thing that I hated about the job, was the close scrutiny by management.
Excellent environment to intern.
Municipal Income Tax Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYDecember 3, 2017
I had an opportunity to assist in the improvement of the business tax processing procedures by identifying a duplication of billing by a local municipality in the northwest which billed multiple affiliates which were attempting to comply individually with its tax billings. This was unexpected but extremely satisfying to find out.
Pros
Good working conditions, adequate salary as an intern.
Cons
The position was not intended to be permanent.
No real Pay compensation at least 50 percent less than market
Network and System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 3, 2017
My pay is lower than the current market by about 50 percent. Everyone was forced to take a 15 percent pay cut. No raise or bonus no matter how well you or your group performs for atleast the last five years. Contractors forced to work 35 hours then get furloughed for weeks almost quarterly.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Compensation, Job security
Very Talented and Intelligent Colleagues
Senior Design Consultant - America's Deal Squad (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 3, 2017
Typical work day was 12 to 24 hours long. I learned a lot about consulting on a large global scale. Hardest part of the job was the amount of travel and the long hours worked while deployed. Although they were under a great deal of pressure, Management was very poor and left a lot to be desired. Most enjoyable part was working directly with very talented and intelligent colleagues, on some very interesting and challenging projects.
Loved working here, excited to return
Client Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2017
The company policy to learn everything you can from others in incredible, always having a growth mindset. Great benefits even as a temporary employee, I cannot wait to return.
Pros
Pay, Office Perks
IBM review
Dealer Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CADecember 3, 2017
The job was very manageable and no real heart ships, but the environment was typical to most helpdesk, workplace was very culturist styles with monumental goals!!
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.