IBM
6,276 reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for
Project Management (Former Employee), Raleigh-Durham, NCJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Many opportunities, organized, rewarding
Cons: Too big
Worked over 14 challenging, rewarding, and enjoyable years at IBM. The company is great to work for, with many opportunities.
There is no work culture
IT Specialist AIX/UNIX/Windows (Current Employee), Boulder, COJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Work Life Balance is very good
Cons: Salary increase and Bonus's are virtually non-existent
IBM gave me my start, I appreciate that, however over the past 5-6 years there has been a lack of interest from the upper management to create a healthy work culture and a sense of appreciation for thier employees.
Flexible work environment
Software Engineer- Netezza Release Engineering (Current Employee), Lenexa, KSJuly 10, 2015
Pros: very flexible
Cons: poor managirial direction
very flexible, easy to work with team members. Most of the time enjoy coming to work everyday. Ability to work from home or away from the office when needed is very nice.
IBM is a great company to work for but seterus is a hostile enviroment
Call center collections agent (Former Employee), Salem, ORJuly 9, 2015
IBM is a great company but I worked for seterus contracted through IBM I based my reviews on IBM/ Seterus. IBM is great to work for but Seterus is a very hostile work environment that causes great stress upper management views employees as robots and are replicable. Very bad workplace culture.
Team Players and hard workers
Senior Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2015
Great place to work back about 40 years ago...where did IBM go? The co-workers were great, management was always communicating great ideas and keeping everyone on schedule. I loved working for IBM.
Great Place to Learn
Leader Transformation Team (Project Manager) (Former Employee), PiscatawayJuly 9, 2015
Pros: mentoring available
Cons: shrinking contract margins
Worked with the best of the best, consummate professionals and brilliant thought leaders. My peers & management were well versed in current business and technology trends. We were required to train at least 40 hrs per year with 24 of those hours being focused around process methods and tools which help keep us well informed.
Great Job!
Mortgage IT Specialist (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Grounds! Nice park, basketball court and work out area
Cons: traffic!
I loved IBM
it was a great place to work great enviorment!!
there are so many ways you can move up!! Always awesome opportunities, I would have stayed if I didnt move to Charlotte!
High Pressure, Lacking Staff, Low Payout
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Beaverton, ORJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Benefits (Health, 401K, etc)
Cons: Unrealistic expectations
Due to the high expectations and low compensation, most decent employees quickly find other employment. Extremely hectic, bureaucratic environment, with each department silo-ed and unwilling or incapable of assisting others.
IBM
Network/Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Challenge never the same, variety of co-workers, access to learning materials to further Knowledge persuit
Cons: Positions at IBM are mostly Contract and rarely last more than 10 months
IBM's greatest asset is that there is no such thing as an average or typical situation. The rapid intense projects are lead by management which, trust and support on an equal level. IBM's diversity of large scale clients present a wealth of unique and challenging puzzles to solve. The variety is the challenge and most enjoyable part of the position. From the varied environment to the varied issues I felt like a thoroughbred horse that had been forced to trot that had finally been allowed to run at full strength.
Interesting and satisfying.
Contractor Design Engineer (Former Employee), Yorktown, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Group holiday and hard work luncheons
Cons: Contractors didn't receive and perks other than listed
Work at IBM Research was as a contractor Design Engineer doing semi-conductor tool installs in laboratories. Some specialized tooling components, and support equipment.

Typical day was always out of the gate.

Management was demanding and fair. Internal customers were appreciative with the tool installs as well as the safety and industrial
hygiene groups.

Co-workers were always professional as were the trades people I worked with.

The hardest part was to satisfy all parties involved with the tool and ownership.

I placed eleven full years of my career there as a contractor.
Excellent company to advance
Inside Sales Rep - TSS (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Having all the tools required and having management support to do your job
Cons: Not having enough time in the day to get it all done
A typical day was coming in the office in the morning and listening to voicemail messages and reading emails. Afterwards, I would return calls and respond to email. This however could be interrupted with urgent requests coming in and this is when you have to make adjustments and handle the urgent ones. It's a very fast paced environment where adapt to change and making adjustments is a must. The biggest part of my job was putting together the perfect solution for the client's needs. To a customer, price is really important but I had to educate them on a total solution. I had to review the client's inventory and make sure there's no coverage gaps so they would get the support they were intended on getting. At times, you must get creative to meet the customer somewhere near their price point. I had to be able to explain to the customer exactly what they will receive for their money.

At IBM, I learned what it takes to become a top Sales Rep. They provided all the education and training required to be successful.

I had some of the best coworkers I could have asked for. I have developed friendships for life.

Management at IBM is the best. Every manager I had exercised an open door policy. I could always get up and go into my manager's office to discuss sales opportunities or just to update them on anything that's going on.

The hardest part of the job is the super fast pace environment. However, this was required to be successful. The environment is constantly changing and you must remain up to date.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of self gratification from closing a big deal that I worked so hard on for so many months.
Opportunities for development
Executive Global Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Opportunities for development
Cons: Challenging cconomy requires cut backs
Great work environment with ample opportunities to learn new skills. Supportive management fostered growth and development.
Flexible schedule
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Bethesda,MDJuly 8, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: no job secure
flexible work schedule and allowed to work at home. poor management and lack of communication. Enjoyed work with team.
Great workplace atmosphere and very flexible schedule
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Rochester, MNJuly 7, 2015
The work environment is very laid back at IBM. We have a open door policy so a majority of the time managers and team leads are very willing and able to help answer any questions. Hardest part about my role is working with international time zones. I've gained a much better understanding of corporate finance.
A fast past work enviroment
Tester/Packer (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 7, 2015
Packed makeup into customer’s boxes. Maintain a clean and safe work environment. Customer-focused and solution oriented.
Good Company to work for
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 6, 2015
Just need to be aware of the globalization and cost cutting that will cut jobs. If you like challenging jobs and changing environment, this is the company for you. But the pay is so so.
Very large organization with over 400,000 employees
Project Management Office (PMO) Lead (Former Employee), San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 6, 2015
Very bright colleagues committed to providing value and high quality services to clients. Limited support from senior management. Individuals working at IBM must be driven by their own personal integrity to provide value without the expectation of receiving kudos or recognition.
Life at work
Client Services (Current Employee), 2000 Wade Hampton BoulevardJuly 6, 2015
Great team environment, job security was lacking based on line of business you worked on.

I enjoyed working with the teams and learning new aspects of the business.

I enjoy helping people
Gained wealth of experience in IT security while with IBM
IT Security Specialist (Former Employee), Columbia, MOJuly 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with IBM and had learnt a lot about security from working with IBM. I received few proffesional certificate in security..
Productive organization with good project planning
Technical Consultant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2015
Projects are thoroughly planned and move as scheduled. A typical day starts of with meeting and ends with problem solving. It was team work organization.

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more

IBM Salaries