IBM Employee Reviews

Found 4,880 reviews matching the search
Great Place to Work
Customer Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2017
Great place to work if you are looking to grow in the IT arena. Great pay, benefits, and incentive. Management is very helpful in your career goals and aspirations.
Pros
Growth, Pay, Benefits
Cons
N/A
Have nothing good to say about IBM
Network Architect (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2016
Poor work life balance. I worked weekends, and 12 hour days. I had peers get divorced due to not being at home. IBM allows its workers to pay for health benefits of 15,000 per year. The cost would go up 2000 per year and IBM would maybe give a "pay raise" of 1000. The reason I departed was I keep getting a pay depression. I lost money to stay there. There is no job security. IBM keep shipping work to India and Brazil. My group was next.

Avoid at all costs!!!!
Cons
Avoid at all costs!!!!
Lack of vision
Cloud Engineer (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 20, 2017
It's a good company to work, nice people, but no job security. Benefits are regular, there's no job culture and salary is not bad, but not great.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Lack of vision
Matrixed does not mean well-managed!
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2016
Hire in at the highest possible salary because you are unlikely to see any increase for quite some time. Benefits package is average for employee only, but high cost for family coverage. You will have to fight to maintain a work-life balance and to experience any career advancement.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Little to no career development; non-existent salary adjustments
Good , reliable, steady work.
CSR/escalations team member (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 16, 2016
My day consists of providing tech support for a federal health insurance company. I provide password unlocks and resets for active directories and other programs including Lotus Notes. I have learned how to think about and troubleshoot problems related to software and login credentials. Management is overall competent, though there seems to be a lot of changing of procedures such as offering of overtime. My co-workers and I always are there to help each other out and there always seems to be someone with a solution to a problem. I am a senior agent on the account and therefore have access to more tools for resets and unlocks than the newer people, so I assist in our group chat. The hardest part of the job is working with people who are difficult and do not want to follow my troubleshooting steps, while the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I helped people who wanted my help and listened to me.
Pros
Guaranteed employment.
Cons
No advancement opportunities whatsoever.
Long hours and extensive travel
Analytics Channel Architect - Technical Sales (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYDecember 1, 2016
This job required extensive travel and long hours. Executives will stab you in the back first opportunity they get. Don't trust them. Working with customers was rewarding and provided much satisfaction. Co-workers were awesome and I will miss them. Constantly changing organization structure and constant expansion of required skills and knowledge made keeping up with job demands difficult. Never felt appreciated for effort put into this job.
Big company, slow to move
PMO LEADER AND PORTFOLIO MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2016
Trained me well, but advancements and opportunities are few. I enjoyed much of my early career when IBM was working hard to grow the services division. But with the globalization of the workforce, opportunities have diminished.
Pros
salary
Cons
work/life balance
Moving in a good direction
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  DublinNovember 29, 2016
IBM fell behind in technology front, it a very fast pace place to be in but, a lot of legacy system are still around and i'm sure still making the company money, but new projects need to get out their quicker. Cognitive direction that they are taking is positive, just needs to be quick in all projects to make a difference and stand out.
Pros
hints of new things to come
Cons
not much benefits, culture is not as fun as other development companies
Great Work/Life Balance
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHFebruary 27, 2017
IBM provided a great work/life balance by providing employees with the option to work from home. Great 401k match, and better than average vacation.

In my typical day, I attend many meetings, work with a great team of demand generation professionals. Our work includes marketing the IBM Collaboration Solutions.
Pros
Remote working, 401k match, training, vacation
Cons
Consistent changes in framework/structure
IBM Corporation
IT Specialist Manager in Bell (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 30, 2016
I didn't learn anything from IBM I was moved from Centurylink to IBM doing the same work with the same pay. I loved the work I did until it was outsourced to India. I was given a chance to find a job within IBM but with my skills was unable to find anything and was then released. The management is not very helpful when they need things it is a hard process to get help with anything most of what I would need I had to figure out on my own.
Pros
Benefits, Paid vacation

Want to know more about IBM?

Ask a question
Great place to work if you are in the right group
Sales Director - Big Data Analytics (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2016
It's a great place but you have to be in the right group with strong direct management. IBM is going through so many changes and is under severe pressure to stem revenue losses that it's a continual game of re-structuring product groups and sales teams. Be prepared to be moved into new groups once or twice a year. Big downside is you rarely are afforded any input on where you end up after the restructuring. But, it's a great place to work when you have a product that IBM invests in and you have strong managers. Still a leader in many areas. There is no downside to working at IBM - you may not have a long term career but still provides great experience and ability to learn. Still leader in selling value to largest enterprise accounts. You need to be able to network internally to advance your career.
Account Representative
Account Administrator in Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 18, 2017
Sales people took computer orders and brought them to me to process. I would then take up the relationship with the customer until their orders arrived. I did a little AR work also if I saw the customer had some unpaid balances and they were still placing orders
Pros
Great benefits, great vacation time, great pay and lots of room for advancement
Cons
Hard to transfer
This is not your father's IBM
Consulting Sales Territory Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 10, 2016
I started in 1982 and I left in 2015 (with a couple of breaks in between to make my millions). When I left the company it had continued to support work life balance far better than any other company I have been exposed to. But the waves of work force reductions just kept coming... at least 4 waves since I left in February 2015.
Pros
Field management is very competent.
Cons
Not a pleasant place to work. Too many workforce reductions with no hope in sight.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CANovember 2, 2016
Overall a good company. They are still competitive in the IT industry. Although it must be noted that outsourcing is at play and you should be willing to relocate if requested to keep your job.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
job security can be challenging
Flexible work schedule
Team Coordinator/Architect/Scum Master (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJanuary 21, 2017
Flexible work schedule, IBM had a relaxed work environment with minimal pressure and stable work schedule. With a diverse team and large organization their was plenty of room to grow and expand your influence.
Pros
Great place for work life balance.
Cons
Lower compensation package.
Worse Employer
Architect (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2016
Depressing work environment with no JOB security. CEO is running the company into the ground. No benefits. You pay your own, Poor 401 K matching. No real health care,
Pros
Cons
Fire you to give more bonus money to execs
IBM Still great, but not the same Big Blue as it used to be
CSI Lead/Team Member - Dynamic Automation (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2016
IBM is a wonderful place to work, but with the globalization of jobs (80% moving to India by end of calendar year 2017), the morale is kind of low. Benefits have been cut from 6% to 1% 401K match, and insurance is more expensive now then it was. As far as culture goes, IBM is not the same big blue company it used to be, but still excels in leading technologies. Cloud, Automation, Agile technologies and education are still their strengths. The most enjoyable part of the work experience is the challenge to grow personally and professionally. It is encouraged to be a leader!
Pros
Education and growth examples
Cons
Shrinking benefits and globalization
Very Good Working Environment
Sr. Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 18, 2016
1. IBM is very good place to work. Work-Life balance is very good.
2. Have opportunity to work on latest Technology.
3. Broader scope for growth in career.
Pros
People Centric.
Cons
Salary package is not as per market standard.
great team and projects were great
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
The company has great ideas for future projects and every team seems to have members that contribute. But job security is always on your mind. Workplace and culture are good and great work/ life balance
Pros
work/ life balance
Cons
loyalty to its employes
Exciting and challenging work environment supporting customer's IT infrastructures
Delivery Project Executive (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 30, 2016
IBM is an exciting and challenging place to grow a career. IBM constantly acquires new technology to provide new services to customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is implementing the new technology and keeping your skills current. The hardest part of the job is the constant re-organization and movement of staff as the company reinvents itself to be competitive in the market.
Pros
Learning about new technology
Cons
Constant re-organizations as the company reinvents itself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

74%